To my horror!! - 660 - Need Help!

Guys, Last friday, 16th Feb 2007 i wrote my GMAT in London. Was pretty confident as i was consistently getting more than 700 in my prep tests… AWA started off pretty well… had ample things to write about those two AWA tests… Next ca…

Guys,
Last friday, 16th Feb 2007 i wrote my GMAT in London. Was pretty confident as i was consistently getting more than 700 in my prep tests....
AWA started off pretty well... had ample things to write about those two AWA tests.....
Next came Quant.. started it just the way i wanted..... but towards the end messed up a bit.. but was overall OK.. (expected around 49-50)
Then came Verbal... 5 straight questions from SC (my strength).. i am sure i got all those correct.. then came CR questions... one after the other and they were the toughest i hv seen so far... but i was pretty cool as i thought i must be doing well.... the same trend continued till the end of the exam... but when i finaly clicked the submit button... To my horror i found a score of 660 (QA: 49, VA: 32) .. was devastated seeing the score.... couldn't believe what i was seeing....

Now something about my profile...

Im 26, working with one of India's finest Software Services Company in the United Kingdom for the last two years.... as a Business Analyst. In total i have 3.5 years of Experience (2 yrs International)... extremely good acads and loads of extracurricular activities... moreover in terms of Leadership qualities.. in addition to professional services. i was the HeadBoy both in School and University...

I was planning to apply for Oxford and INSEAD..but the average score is around 680 ad 700 respectively..

Kindly provide suggestions whether i shld go for another attempt or will this suffice..

Thnks
Sabya

Your score is good, although its a bit less than the average, but if you show your experience, acads and extracurriculars in the right way in your apps, 660 is pretty good score.

If you are confident you can cross 700 and this was just a bad day, you can go for a retake to be on the safer side.

Thanks Bro!!

Well i certainly feel that if i apply for ISB.. then i might fetch a call.. but Oxford and INSEAD would be a bit tough to fetch a call with this score....

Just to highlight a few points....

Guys,

In CR.. i faced questions that were NO-WAY in comparison to the prep tests or the OG tests.. rather they were very close to LSAT (1000 CR) questions....
This was the reason why i was shocked and glad (thought i ws doing good).. i faced several CR questions that had more than 2 answers correct.. then it came down to DEGREE with respect to the context of the paragraph...

In RC, first one was OK.. but then on there were BLOWS after BLOWS... all inference based questions.. with the exception of 'What the author intents to say?' .. i seriously feel it was one of those dayz.... that i seriously didnt want to come my way...

But anywayz... if this is what i have to go through then SO BE IT... i'll give it another Go this time with some more preps (specially on CR)...

And yes.. i'll be more vociferous from now on in PUY... till now ihv been pretty reticent but an active reader of the forum messages...

Carpe Diem!!
Sabya

Thanks Bro!!

Well i certainly feel that if i apply for ISB.. then i might fetch a call.. but Oxford and INSEAD would be a bit tough to fetch a call with this score....

May I know the basis of this assumption? Not trying to discourage you but you are taking ISB too lightly. The avg score in ISB is above 700 and avg work-ex is close to 5 yrs. You are below the average in both counts. Getting in ISB is no easy task now.

660 is a low score with your profile. 3.5 yrs of IT experience with couple of yrs of international experience is not too different from an avg Indian applicant. A score which is less than the avg and lies at the bottom of the mid 80% range will not do you much good.

I suggest you take GMAT again.

Good Luck

Thanks for your suggestions Rahul..

Its not that i'm underestimating ISB .. i presume the Bschools take an application not on its face value (i mean just the GMAT score or years of experience).. but the complete package..(gmat,yrs of exp,domain of expertise,acads,extra curriculars,professional/personal achievements) and only then arrive at any decision (plz correct me if im wrong!!)

But i'm certainly not satisfied with my score and i know i can do far better to be in a much safer side (of getting my application considered).. so im planning to write GMAT again sometime during the First week of May,2007.

I'll take a break from preps for one month and then start again from March end....

Whts up wid you?are you through with this GMAT stuff?

Its not that i'm underestimating ISB .. i presume the Bschools take an application not on its face value (i mean just the GMAT score or years of experience).. but the complete package..(gmat,yrs of exp,domain of expertise,acads,extra curriculars,professional/personal achievements) and only then arrive at any decision (plz correct me if im wrong!!)

You are right. An applicaiton is not evaluated on the basis of just GMAT score + yrs of work ex. I was just emphasising that ISB has become very-very competitive now. Good GMAT score (700+) and avg work-ex (3-4 yrs in IT) is a very common applicant profile at ISB.

But i'm certainly not satisfied with my score and i know i can do far better to be in a much safer side (of getting my application considered).. so im planning to write GMAT again sometime during the First week of May,2007.

I think that is a good decision. All the best.

Whts up wid you?are you through with this GMAT stuff?

Yeah. am through with everything (GMAT + app). Waiting for the college to start

Yeah. am through with everything (GMAT + app). Waiting for the college to start

Hi Rahul,
-
Similar is the case with me. 650 (28, 51), AWA - 5 .though i was expecting 720+. somehow screwed eng.
I am planning to give my GMAT again. may be in June.

I have 2 years work ex in IT. But still taking a chance and applying in European Universities. RSM, ESADE, HEC. I think I have strong business acumen, and I deserve an MBA with my present profile. Though acads are very average, but extra curriculars are not bad. Plus I have very actively participated in my family business, and singlehandedly earned supurb laurels.
Need suggestions on two fronts:
1. regarding english. some concrete study material. what u think is the best way. i have enough time till my gmat. i m targeting 750+
2. u must have done some research regarding universities. as i m applying for a 1 to 1.5 yrs course. any suggestions regarding universities.us or european

also tell something about ur profile and where u plan to join.

Thanks a lot
Hi Rahul,
-
Similar is the case with me. 650 (28, 51), AWA - 5 .though i was expecting 720+. somehow screwed eng.
I am planning to give my GMAT again. may be in June.

I have 2 years work ex in IT. But still taking a chance and applying in European Universities. RSM, ESADE, HEC. I think I have strong business acumen, and I deserve an MBA with my present profile. Though acads are very average, but extra curriculars are not bad. Plus I have very actively participated in my family business, and singlehandedly earned supurb laurels.
Need suggestions on two fronts:
1. regarding english. some concrete study material. what u think is the best way. i have enough time till my gmat. i m targeting 750+
2. u must have done some research regarding universities. as i m applying for a 1 to 1.5 yrs course. any suggestions regarding universities.us or european

also tell something about ur profile and where u plan to join.

Thanks a lot

650 is at the lower end of the 80% range for the schools u r targetting. Also your work-ex is low (HEC has avg 5+ yrs of workex). You will have to put in a really strong application to get a call with your current score.
Regarding english prep - visit the gmat query center threads and gmat prep thread for pune. You will find links/comments abt study material and strategies.
I am joining one of the schools u r targetting
PM me for any further info u need.