TISS Social Entrepreneurship 2011-13 - PI Discussion

Hello, I’m starting this thread for all of us who’ve qualified for the PI round of Social Entrepreneurship. I’m sure it would help if we first introduce ourselves and chip in with information we have regarding this course. As for me, I g…

Hello,

I'm starting this thread for all of us who've qualified for the PI round of Social Entrepreneurship. I'm sure it would help if we first introduce ourselves and chip in with information we have regarding this course.

As for me, I got a score of 63.75 and this is my first and most cherished call for the year 😃

Hi All,

I scored 64...
Congrats to all Fellow selected PUYS...

Hi all,

I scored 59.
Eagerly waiting for a shot at TISS.

I got 68.25 marks. Since this course doesn't have any GD (my strong point) for shortlisting, I am pretty nervous as I've never sat for an interview of any kind. And the limited knowledge of the subject "Social Entrepreneurship" doesn't help either.

Does anyone here know what sort of preparation is needed for this interview????

I guess we should have a poll for the scores.

I got 68.25 marks. Since this course doesn't have any GD (my strong point) for shortlisting, I am pretty nervous as I've never sat for an interview of any kind. And the limited knowledge of the subject "Social Entrepreneurship" doesn't help either.

Does anyone here know what sort of preparation is needed for this interview????

I guess we should have a poll for the scores.

I have introduced myself lot of times in different threads but i am doing it again for last time..This Vamsi from first year SE..

@Spatone: Chill out dude..Interview panel is very cool than you imagine.. They will make you feel comfortable and they are very cordial too... Most of my class mates do not have any experience of attending interview before this..But still they are able to make it..
You have scored pretty good marks in the first round... Try to capitalise on it..

First thing all of you should do is try to acquire as much as Knowledge about SE.. The best source is Youtube and find out various interviews given by different people about different social enterprises in India...

As I have mentioned earlier in one of the thread, they will look for your passion and commitment towards Entrepreneurship and social entrepreneurship.. Try to develop one business idea which can address any social problem... If you are able to explain the intensity of social problem and how your idea can address this problem.. I hope you will be through the interview...
Some part of the interview will be centered around bio sketch which you are going to submit along with DAF...
If you have done any activities related to entrepreneurship dont forget to quote them in bio sketch...It will make your life simpler...

Let me know if you have any further questions...
I have introduced myself lot of times in different threads but i am doing it again for last time..This Vamsi from first year SE..

@Spatone: Chill out dude..Interview panel is very cool than you imagine.. They will make you feel comfortable and they are very cordial too... Most of my class mates do not have any experience of attending interview before this..But still they are able to make it..
You have scored pretty good marks in the first round... Try to capitalise on it..

First thing all of you should do is try to acquire as much as Knowledge about SE.. The best source is Youtube and find out various interviews given by different people about different social enterprises in India...

As I have mentioned earlier in one of the thread, they will look for your passion and commitment towards Entrepreneurship and social entrepreneurship.. Try to develop one business idea which can address any social problem... If you are able to explain the intensity of social problem and how your idea can address this problem.. I hope you will be through the interview...
Some part of the interview will be centered around bio sketch which you are going to submit along with DAF...
If you have done any activities related to entrepreneurship dont forget to quote them in bio sketch...It will make your life simpler...

Let me know if you have any further questions...

Thanks..
I've been reading about GD's and PI's for B-Schools but never thought about the youtube bit. I'll try to devote sufficient time to writing a relevant bio-sketch for each course. But wouldn't it be difficult to sell ourselves as genuine SE aspirants when most of us would be having HRM as the first priorities???

Now about the course sir...
What is the background of the people who generally convert the calls and how important is workex for it?
What is gender ratio, freshers : Work Ex ratio in the course like?
And what profiles are offered by the recruiters to the students?
Thanks..
I've been reading about GD's and PI's for B-Schools but never thought about the youtube bit. I'll try to devote sufficient time to writing a relevant bio-sketch for each course. But wouldn't it be difficult to sell ourselves as genuine SE aspirants when most of us would be having HRM as the first priorities???

Now about the course sir...
What is the background of the people who generally convert the calls and how important is workex for it?
What is gender ratio, freshers : Work Ex ratio in the course like?
And what profiles are offered by the recruiters to the students?

First and important thing is there will not be any placements for SE in the campus... Social Entrepreneurship meant for starting your own venture and college mgmt wont allow to have placements in the campus... Placements are there earlier till to my senior batch..Starting from our batch there will not be any placements in the campus.. Faculty and student body is trying to build lot of infrastructure to aid entrepreneurship...
If you have HRM as first priority it would be better if you keep alternatives related to HRM in other colleges..
HR and SE are completely contrast courses even though both are under school of Management..
HR course is mainly meant and known for its placements and but there will not be any placements for SE..HR course is having more amount of classroom teaching compare to SE...

My sincere suggestion is if you have HRM as a priority it is not suggestible to get into SE.. Because you can not fully utilize the course...

Work Ex will help you but there will not be any additional weightage for work ex people in the PI process..

Our batch is having equal amount of freshers and work ex people i.e. 50:50 .. Avg Work ex is 3 years...
First and important thing is there will not be any placements for SE in the campus... Social Entrepreneurship meant for starting your own venture and college mgmt wont allow to have placements in the campus... Placements are there earlier till to my senior batch..Starting from our batch there will not be any placements in the campus.. Faculty and student body is trying to build lot of infrastructure to aid entrepreneurship...
If you have HRM as first priority it would be better if you keep alternatives related to HRM in other colleges..
HR and SE are completely contrast courses even though both are under school of Management..
HR course is mainly meant and known for its placements and but there will not be any placements for SE..HR course is having more amount of classroom teaching compare to SE...

My sincere suggestion is if you have HRM as a priority it is not suggestible to get into SE.. Because you can not fully utilize the course...

Work Ex will help you but there will not be any additional weightage for work ex people in the PI process..

Our batch is having equal amount of freshers and work ex people i.e. 50:50 .. Avg Work ex is 3 years...

It is just that I don't have my priorities sorted out yet...
Was doing CA simultaneously during first two years of graduation. Left it incomplete and am also appearing for CSAT in June this year...So I guess you can get an idea of the confusion I'm in at the moment... thought studying at an institution of repute like tiss would have helped me decide about my career...and HRM is the flagship (if i may use the word) course of tiss...

Is the placement scenario same at the Globalisation and Labour course too???
It is just that I don't have my priorities sorted out yet...
Was doing CA simultaneously during first two years of graduation. Left it incomplete and am also appearing for CSAT in June this year...So I guess you can get an idea of the confusion I'm in at the moment... thought studying at an institution of repute like tiss would have helped me decide about my career...and HRM is the flagship (if i may use the word) course of tiss...

Is the placement scenario same at the Globalisation and Labour course too???

Be clear about your priorities.. It will avoid lot of confusion... Dont take Entrepreneurship in confusion :-P

I dont know much about GL placements. I will get back to you on this... But there are placements in GL..

Hi Friends,

Please go through about the below website Entrepreneurship Cell .
To find out latest happenings at Center for Social Entrepreneurship in TISS.

@ Vamsi As u said there will not be any campus placements from now for SE then can u plz tell us that what will be the options after graduating from SE. Is it the case that everyone from your batch will be goin to start his/her own venture...if not then what are the alternatives.

hi i am raman.....qualified for tiss PI(social entrepreneurship) plz help me preparing for PI

Hi everyone
my name is Nitesh and even i have got a call for SE my score is 59.

i want to know that how TISS help their student in starting venture and wat type of venture tiss focus for. and if any student want to start any venture later after 1 or 2 yr how they support student for experience..

saurabh0705 Says
@ Vamsi As u said there will not be any campus placements from now for SE then can u plz tell us that what will be the options after graduating from SE. Is it the case that everyone from your batch will be goin to start his/her own venture...if not then what are the alternatives.

Hey Saurabh,

Entire two years in SE you will be spending time to build your own venture...We believe at TISS if we work with total commitment and dedication it is possible to build venture... Ideally every body should start their own venture and internships also designed in such a way... Earlier during internships most of our seniors used to work with organisations like BioCon,NABARD, KPMG,AC NEILSEN,BAIF,RBI etc..
But from our batch during internships everybody should do pilot run regarding their idea...

Even after working two years on business plan if one is not able to pursue his career as an Entrepreneur they go for Jobs in above said companies and many other companies.. But no one is allowed to attend for placements in the campus;
Once after finishing 2 years then no one will stop you and its up to you to pursue your career in your own way 😃
mntrse Says
hi i am raman.....qualified for tiss PI(social entrepreneurship) plz help me preparing for PI

Hello Raman,
Please go through earlier posts and let me know if you have any specific questions..

@ All Juniors,

To adress some of your common queries regarding course and its future and how Center for SE will help you in building venture, we are making a video which contains the perspectives of our faculty, student body and students its self.. Will be uploading it soon in YOUTUBE

Be clear about your priorities.. It will avoid lot of confusion... Dont take Entrepreneurship in confusion :-P

I dont know much about GL placements. I will get back to you on this... But there are placements in GL..

Please tell me more about GL. i've scored 63.5 and the cutoff is 58.5. please describe what should be my priorities for the interview and how did the campus placement for GL went this year.
Hey Saurabh,

Entire two years in SE you will be spending time to build your own venture...We believe at TISS if we work with total commitment and dedication it is possible to build venture... Ideally every body should start their own venture and internships also designed in such a way... Earlier during internships most of our seniors used to work with organisations like BioCon,NABARD, KPMG,AC NEILSEN,BAIF,RBI etc..
But from our batch during internships everybody should do pilot run regarding their idea...

Even after working two years on business plan if one is not able to pursue his career as an Entrepreneur they go for Jobs in above said companies and many other companies.. But no one is allowed to attend for placements in the campus;
Once after finishing 2 years then no one will stop you and its up to you to pursue your career in your own way :-)

sad, do sw people can sit in placements
ravijunagadh Says
sad, do sw people can sit in placements

Yes.. They do have placements... But I dont have clear picture of packages It is ranging 25K-30K PM (But not Sure; this is the information shared my roomie, who is from SW)