Tippie Iowa first year MBA students set to answer your queries

Hi all, I am Meensu(Meenakshi Sundaram): First year MBA student at the Univ of Iowa(Tippie School). My background B.E(hons) BITS pilani Work Ex: 29 months(Infosys):Application Developer(was performing a different role though) C…

Hi all,

I am Meensu(Meenakshi Sundaram): First year MBA student at the Univ of Iowa(Tippie School). My background

B.E(hons) BITS pilani

Work Ex: 29 months(Infosys):Application Developer(was performing a different role though)

Consulting:sad:Couple of months)

Startup:sad:Couple of months):Was helping my friend with his startup(ended dissolving the company(Hmmmmmmmmmm)

I benefited a great deal from Pagal and I would like to give back something.

Please shoot your questions and I will be ready to tackle them.

My few cents on the school:

Plus
1) Excellent Faculty(Esp for finance and Marketing). There are professors who are on the most sought after list in USA. I never knew this before getting in to the school.
2) The ROI is really good here and is the best in the world.
3) Henry Fund(Students get the opportunity to become portfolio managers and manage huge money).
4) A lot of talented and experienced people have been hired within the last few months to increase the presence of the school.
5) An ex partner at a big consulting firm has been hired to increase the presence in the consulting arena.
6) The finance curriculum rocks here(Wall street ranks it 16th).
7) Career services(They are the sweetest people on earth. They literally guide you in every stage of your job search and believe me they have pushing each and every student here. A lot of times the fault is on the side of the students because they just take it too easily. If you do what the career services ask you to do then getting a job should be a lot more easier).
Negatives
1) I feel that the school is really under valued(A lot of marketing activities are underway to increase the brand reputation).
2) The location of the school. This is a big ...big..point of argument. The school is located a couple of hours from chicago. This makes it a little difficult for the students to network with the major companies in Chicago. Networking with the east and west coast companies is also minimal.
The soothing factor here is that the school has recruited a new networking pro to make the presence of our school felt in all the big metros. The school participated in major career fairs this year(NSHMBA,NAWMBA,Black MBA) and is planning to participate in many others too. The school has also started making formal arrangements for the students to travel down to chicago and network with Almuni. There is a company visit towards the end of this month wherein we will be visiting a lot of companies in Chicago to network and understand the work culture.All said and done. I believe that the onus is on us to make a job.
I might sound a little too biased but the fact is that the school has impressed me so much. If you have any more questions do shoot them.
Go Hawks
Ever,
Meensu

The query was
Hi

I am going to apply to IOWA tippe...

But I would like to know about statistics about scholarships and assistanceships given last year and generally...

Please help us to get realistic picture of expenses encurred.

Hi River Card,
Tippie is known for giving scholarship to deserved students. Some factors which influence the scholarship decisons are
1) GMAT
2) Prior Work Ex
It is safe to have a GMAT score of close to 700. Three plus years of work ex will help. If you meet both the above then you are looking at pretty good scholarship. Tippie is the best in terms of ROI and it is ranked number one in the world in terms of ROI. There is no set number on the scholarship amount or the number of scholarships. Best in ROI in the world is self explanatory. It again depends on the profile of candidates you are competing with. I am sure that this year the potential candidate pool is going to be far more aggressive and far more competitive. The school is taking rapid measures to increase its presence and so I am damned to sureness that the competition will be a lot tougher this year. So the statistics which I have provided above may not be accurate for this year,
If you get GAship(that is scholarship) then you will end up spending close to 12000 dollars per year. This 12000 dollars is the upper limit(I spend very lavishly) and includes living expenses too. If you do not get any scholarship then you will end up spending 38000 dollars per year. Most of the students without any scholarship land a GA in other departments after coming here.
Ever,
Meensu

The query was
Hi Meenakshi,

I wanted to know how is the 'Strategic Management and consulting' concentration of Tippie MBA. I wanted to know about the Faculty expertise available and industry interaction, alumi guidance if any available for this particular conc. How are the tippie 'consulting' graduates valued in the job market?

thanks
mpm

Hi mpm,

The school has hired a pro consultant who was in the consulting industry for umpteen years. He was a partner at a big consulting firm and has added a course wherein students will be working on real world consulting assignments . This is a very new addition wherein students in first year will be able to work on real consulting assignments on real issues. This will definitely help the students network and bring them closer to the consulting world. I will try to bring in an expert in this specific concentration who can give you the pros and cons in detail.

Ever,
Meensu

Hi River Card,
Tippie is known for giving scholarship to deserved students. Some factors which influence the scholarship decisons are
1) GMAT
2) Prior Work Ex
It is safe to have a GMAT score of close to 700. Three plus years of work ex will help. If you meet both the above then you are looking at pretty good scholarship. .
Ever,
Meensu

Again related questions on this front:

1. What was or what is typical profile for GAship in terms of GMAT and # of years of work ex? and What % of class get GAship?

2. Does a scholarship ( and not GA) makes your fee to in-state?

3. IOWA has deadlines (1st being Jan 15) so if I submit my app with in next 15 days or if i submit by jan 15, both will be evaluation at the same time after 15 Jan. Is my understanding correct? Isnt admission process is rolling admisssion process?

Hi meenkashi,
I would like to ask one question about the tuition fees, I am a indian but i have been staying in iowa for more than a year(i am on H1B), so will i come under resident tuition fees or international student fees ? i searched the website but could not get the answer.

I ve 640 (Q49, VA 29, AWA 4.5) in GMAT
I ll have 2 yrs of work ex by june 2008
acads - excellent
ex- curri- average
wt are my chances of admission?
plz reply

Hi meenkashi,
I would like to ask one question about the tuition fees, I am a indian but i have been staying in iowa for more than a year(i am on H1B), so will i come under resident tuition fees or international student fees ? i searched the website but could not get the answer.

got 650 (qa-50,va-27, awa-awaited)

my profile
10:77%
12:80.2%
btech(ece): 81.3%

working as embedded software engineer in Lnt Infotech.. will complete two yrs by aug 2008

what are my chances ..please tell

hey temme one thing. How is Tippie Recommendation letter to be sent. Is it online or thru a paper copy? Also, do they accept transcripts thru email or do they want them to be posted??

Hey Sachit,
you can do it in two ways..
1. get print reco form and send hardcopy
2. ask recommender to fill in online reco form

Hi meenakshi

Thanks for starting this thread , I am a typical Indian IT applicant , GMAT 700 nd will have 2 yrs of work in IT by Fall 08, in the process of applying to Tippie, can u tell me how are the placement statistics at Tippie, Ideally I wud like to work for atleast 3-4 years in the US before comin back to India, Fr that I wud need H1b , are h1b sponsorships available as I hrd a lot of companies are not recruiting Intrnationals, hw far is dis true?

Hi All,

This is vignesh here

I got an admit in Tippie for their Fall 08 MBA program. Has any one else recd an admit?

My Profile:
4 yrs Work Ex
680 GMAT
Finished my application around end of OCT
Interview during the world MBA tour in India

vignesh

Hi Vigensh,

Congrats for the admit.
Did you get any schol ?

Sam

vignesh,

hearty congratualtion for tippie..
I am applying now.. please give me tips..
Also if you could please summarize tippie school.. whats good there etc.
Also if there is link for last years thread, please post it.

My profile is exactly same as yours.. 680/4 yrs/others decent.. So please let me know other schools to apply in this round

Please reply,

Thanks and Regards,
Naren

Hi all,

I am Meensu(Meenakshi Sundaram): First year MBA student at the Univ of Iowa(Tippie School). My background

B.E(hons) BITS pilani

Work Ex: 29 months(Infosys):Application Developer(was performing a different role though)

Consulting:sad:Couple of months)

Startup:sad:Couple of months):Was helping my friend with his startup(ended dissolving the company(Hmmmmmmmmmm)

I benefited a great deal from Pagal and I would like to give back something.

Please shoot your questions and I will be ready to tackle them.

My few cents on the school:

Plus
1) Excellent Faculty(Esp for finance and Marketing). There are professors who are on the most sought after list in USA. I never knew this before getting in to the school.
2) The ROI is really good here and is the best in the world.
3) Henry Fund(Students get the opportunity to become portfolio managers and manage huge money).
4) A lot of talented and experienced people have been hired within the last few months to increase the presence of the school.
5) An ex partner at a big consulting firm has been hired to increase the presence in the consulting arena.
6) The finance curriculum rocks here(Wall street ranks it 16th).
7) Career services(They are the sweetest people on earth. They literally guide you in every stage of your job search and believe me they have pushing each and every student here. A lot of times the fault is on the side of the students because they just take it too easily. If you do what the career services ask you to do then getting a job should be a lot more easier).
Negatives
1) I feel that the school is really under valued(A lot of marketing activities are underway to increase the brand reputation).
2) The location of the school. This is a big ...big..point of argument. The school is located a couple of hours from chicago. This makes it a little difficult for the students to network with the major companies in Chicago. Networking with the east and west coast companies is also minimal.
The soothing factor here is that the school has recruited a new networking pro to make the presence of our school felt in all the big metros. The school participated in major career fairs this year(NSHMBA,NAWMBA,Black MBA) and is planning to participate in many others too. The school has also started making formal arrangements for the students to travel down to chicago and network with Almuni. There is a company visit towards the end of this month wherein we will be visiting a lot of companies in Chicago to network and understand the work culture.All said and done. I believe that the onus is on us to make a job.
I might sound a little too biased but the fact is that the school has impressed me so much. If you have any more questions do shoot them.
Go Hawks
Ever,
Meensu

Meenakshi,

You are doing a great job. Thanks for the same. It helps a lot for all of us here who are applying for fall 08. Let us know more about you.. your profile.. interview experience.. iowa city.. indians over there etc..

thanks and regards,
Naren

Hi naren,

you can check out last yrs tippie thread here -

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iowa-tippie-admission-2007-interview-experience-25021184

n like meenakshi had mentioned tippie is well known for finance... few things I like about the school is its small class size n its pretty cheap for a US B school n also heard the career services r good... as for the other schools I have applied to owen n notre dame n weather head... still waiting for the results ...

regds

vignesh

Hi naren,

you can check out last yrs tippie thread here -

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iowa-tippie-admission-2007-interview-experience-25021184

n like meenakshi had mentioned tippie is well known for finance... few things I like about the school is its small class size n its pretty cheap for a US B school n also heard the career services r good... as for the other schools I have applied to owen n notre dame n weather head... still waiting for the results ...

regds

vignesh

Thanks Vignesh,

This is helpful. Also you can share us your interview experience..

regards,
Naren
Hi All,

This is vignesh here

I got an admit in Tippie for their Fall 08 MBA program. Has any one else recd an admit?

My Profile:
4 yrs Work Ex
680 GMAT
Finished my application around end of OCT
Interview during the world MBA tour in India

vignesh

Hi Vignesh!

Have a few questiosn reg Tippie Application:

1.What did u do regarding the 'Other Attachments' part .. They had asked about adverse conditions and stuff...Did u answer them all?
2. How long did it take from them to get back to u after u submitted u app?
3.For the recos, there is jus a link on the website.. the recommenders gotta fill out the form just following the link.. thats it? No email, no log in etc etc..Sounds a little wierd

Hi 1. the other attachments - I didnt upload any ... this is an option for you to justify reasons if any for a low gmat score or cgpa. 2. Well I had submitted my application around end of oct. gave my interview (face to face) during world Mba tour ear oct.. n I heard around late Nov. So I guess the processing time would be atleast a month.. But if you are planning to apply now I guess the number of applicants might be a lot a more, hence the wait will be even longer3. I had the same doubt so decided to submit hard recos. You can mail them about it . hope it helps regdsvignesh

hey Vignesh!

U did a smart thing by applying early.. Thanks for the info.. btw, I have sent u a PM as well.. Chk that out..