The University of Iowa - Tippie MBA student answers your queries

Dear All, Congratulations on your first step towards an International MBA by participating in this forum. I feel its a great way to learn about MBA programs world wide. I was in this forum last year and am currently doing an MBA at The Henry B. …

Dear All,
Congratulations on your first step towards an International MBA by participating in this forum. I feel its a great way to learn about MBA programs world wide. I was in this forum last year and am currently doing an MBA at The Henry B. Tippie School of Business - The University of Iowa. I would be glad to take any questions that you might have and am eager to share my experiences.

Hi,

I am interested in doing MBA in IT/Consulting. How good is Tippie in this specialization. Also what is the GMAT score required of an Indian/IT/Male applicant like me to entertain any chances of an admit.

Hi Vigdev,
I think you are referring to Strategy and Tippie has a pretty good program on Strategy and management. There are quite a few opportunities for you to hone your skills by participating in different case competitions as well here - Illinois strategy case competition, Thunderbird innovation challenge and the Big 10 case competitions. I am not aware of a specialty concentration specific to IT consulting at Tippie - although you could always apply for an job at an IT consulting once you have an MBA (Strategy).

As far as GMAT scores go, please find below a summary of student profile for last year's students entering the course:

GMAT Scores & Work ExperienceAverage GMAT Score653Mid-80% Range580 710 Average Undergraduate Grade-Point Average3.37 Mid-80% Range GPA 2.71-3.86Average Years Work Experience3.42

Most international students have work-ex between 4-6 years with exceptions. I feel that the college looks for work-ex, GMAT scores, academia and extra-curricular activities et. al as a whole in candidates.

Hope that answers your question
Regards,
Nanda

Thanks for the info. Could you also tell about the total cost of pursuing the course including living expenses. Also what about financial aid.

Hi,
Cost of living anywhere in mid-west (esp.Iowa) is pretty inexpensive as compared to the rest of U.S...Your scholarship depends entirely on your profile...Your chances are bright if you apply early....
Financial aids are available as Scholarships, Graduate assistantships that help foray MBA costs...

Visit their website for more details

MBA Tuition and Fees

Regards,
Nanda

Profile Evaluation: 690 (Q49, V35) Manuf Sector 6yrs Exp.
Please evaluate my profile and suggest some schools:
GMAT SCORE: 690 Q49 V35

6 Years Exp (by may 09) in Aluminium Metal Production Industry (Heavy Industry).
Engineering from Top 10 institute of India.
Engineering marks: 69.75% ( Topper - 77%.) Class Rank 4th.

Had 4 promotions in 6 years of experience.
Currently leading a team of 210 Engineers, Supervisors and Workmen.
Represented my company at an international seminar at Norway.

Extracurricular:
Volunteer with CSR of my company
Member of organising committee of the Inter Departmental Football tournament.
At College, was head of the department association. I was also department football team captain at work and college.

I have already sent scores to
HBS, Kellogg, Stanford, MIT Sloan, Cornell.

Please suggest some more names including safe colleges.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Nanda_Tippie,

I have applied to Tippie last year, i.e. for FALL-08. Sadly though, I got a reject after my interview. Now I am speculating about my chances if I apply again. The only difference that I have made to my application is in terms of work ex. Earlier I was working as Senior Engineer with British Gas, and now I have joined a SCM consultancy start up. Total I will have a work ex of 4 years by FALL 09. My GMAT score is 690, with decent extra curri and community work. I am really worried how the school will look at me as a reapplicant. Can you please help me out and tell me the enhancements that I need to do to make my profile strong and also guide me if i should reappear for GMAT.