The suitability of a one-year MBA

Hi, the basic theme of this thread is: Is a one-year MBA right for me? Please pour in with your comments, suggestions, and experiences. I’m focussing here on US B-schools. Here are some basic questions i have: 1. Is the one-year MBA th…

Hi, the basic theme of this thread is: Is a one-year MBA right for me? Please pour in with your comments, suggestions, and experiences. I'm focussing here on US B-schools.

Here are some basic questions i have:

1. Is the one-year MBA the exclusive domain of highly experienced people? (reminder: Im talking of US b schools, not ISB/Europe).

2. What are the challenges facing a career switcher in case he/she goes for a one year mba?

3. Is a one year mba advisable for a person with 2-3 yrs workex?

4. A very specific question: If i complete a CFA/CA degree here in india, and i`m looking at joining the finance industry in US, is a one-year mba general management okay for me...since i`ve already gained the finance knowledge thru the other courses.

Do pour in with your comments. I didn`t see any other thread that deals speciafically with one-year MBAs from the US in particular.

hey,

thr are only a few one-year MBA programs out thr in the US. If u not looking for a career switch thn its a good option else its not...

also remember - all one yr programs in the US require either an MS or an undergraduate degree in business....

What I've heard is that in the US people think you require 2 years to do an MBA and don't value a 1-year MBA as much. On the other hand, I've heard this guy who made it to an executive MBA at Purdue with only 2 years exp. This might have been a freak case.

I've got these details from my friends in the US and so cannot claim a lot of credibility to the above stated.

Keep us posted about your research.

Cheers!

1. Is the one-year MBA the exclusive domain of highly experienced people? (reminder: Im talking of US b schools, not ISB/Europe).

The reason there are no other threads on 1 year programs in the US is for a very good reason - there are none Except the ones like HULT. So do you have anything to add apart from Hult ?

2. What are the challenges facing a career switcher in case he/she goes for a one year mba?

I have been warned many a times by the 1 year admission directors/members that you should NOT look at those programs in case you are considering shifting your career. Infact if you write that as a reason in your essay, most chances of you getting dinged.

3. Is a one year mba advisable for a person with 2-3 yrs workex?

UK 1-year programs advice atleast a few more years of experience - around 5+. But again nothing mandatory as long as you have your own reasons. But I really dont see why anyone should compromise for a 1year program when is on the good side of the 20s

4. A very specific question: If i complete a CFA/CA degree here in india, and i`m looking at joining the finance industry in US, is a one-year mba general management okay for me...since i`ve already gained the finance knowledge thru the other courses.

Neither CFA nor CA is recognized in the USA. So those are of no use. You *need* to be a CPA. Check out the Becker's course on CPA in Mumbai to see if there are any transfer of credits from CA/CFA to CPA.

Needless to say if you are a CPA you don't need an MBA to get a job in the US Plus you can be hitting Wharton/Colombia/Stern for great Finance courses.

Arun
Hey Arun, thr are quite a few one yr programs in the US...
and Crash Test Dummy,
Just so tht u can figure out urself, I have listed all( or atleast the decent ones) the One-yr programs in the US.
  1. Kellogg
  2. Cornell
  3. Emory
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Hult
  6. Pittsburgh
  7. Babson
  8. Florida(Warrington)
  9. U of Colorado
If thr are nemore, its def not worth knowing...If u have an undergraduate degree in business, which is a must for all except Cornell or a master's degree in a technical field( for Cornell) and are not switching ur career path, thn go ahead with a one yr program thr... remember thr s no internship opportunity available...

Neither CFA nor CA is recognized in the USA. So those are of no use. You *need* to be a CPA. Check out the Becker's course on CPA in Mumbai to see if there are any transfer of credits from CA/CFA to CPA.

Needless to say if you are a CPA you don't need an MBA to get a job in the US Plus you can be hitting Wharton/Colombia/Stern for great Finance courses.

Arun

CPA n CFA r totally different, also CFA is very much recognised all over the world. Infact u hv highest number of CFAs in US. CFAs form the majority in american I banks

If thr are nemore, its def not worth knowing...If u have an undergraduate degree in business, which is a must for all except Cornell or a master's degree in a technical field( for Cornell) and are not switching ur career path, thn go ahead with a one yr program thr... remember thr s no internship opportunity available...

O crap! No career changers, no internships, business education...a one-year MBA seems ruled out for me! Thanks for the info psycho and datewithdestiny.
nakul05 Says
CPA n CFA r totally different, also CFA is very much recognised all over the world. Infact u hv highest number of CFAs in US. CFAs form the majority in american I banks

I didnt know that the CFA offered by ICFAI is the same as http://www.cfainstitute.org/ in which case apologies for the errorneous observation. I didnt have the patience to go through this thread:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/ciia-diploma-from-icfai-25011434

CA ka toh pukka US mein nahi chalta, mera baapu bhi CA hai so I know :wink:

Aur Crash_Testbhai, aap Wharton/Colombia/Chicago types mein apply karoge toh im sure there will be surely a lot more to learn than a CFA/CA.

Arun
I didnt know that the CFA offered by ICFAI is the same as http://www.cfainstitute.org/ in which case apologies for the errorneous observation. I didnt have the patience to go through this thread:

I'm doing CFA from ICFAI and I remember that CFA given by ICFAI is not recognised by CFA Institute (http://www.cfainstitute.org/).

Correct me if I get it wrong....
I'm doing CFA from ICFAI and I remember that CFA given by ICFAI is not recognised by CFA Institute (http://www.cfainstitute.org/).

Correct me if I get it wrong....

You are right. The US CFA has NO relation to CFA of ICFAI.
As far as the CPA, as far as I know, CPA is certified for each state of US. e.g. a certified CPA of California cannot work in New York. CPA is basically an accounting certification

Hope this helps.

yes senapati, CPA is like indian CA (just for filing returns et all), Its like ACA in UK

aap Wharton/Colombia/Chicago types mein apply karoge toh im sure there will be surely a lot more to learn than a CFA/CA.

Arun

its like comparing apples to oranges
an interesting reading in this regard: http://www.analystforum.com/121304.shtml
Crash_test_dummy Says
O crap! No career changers, no internships, business education...a one-year MBA seems ruled out for me! Thanks for the info psycho and datewithdestiny.

Not totally true. I am applying to the Insead program starting in Jan which lets you do an internship in summer. Oxford too lets you do an internship instead of a final project (but it does not help you in obtaining an internship). I am not sure about other schools and their internship options. Also, i will disagree with the fact that people do not change careers after 1 yr MBA, in fact i know a few people who have.

hey cabal,

Wat we were discussing here is basically One-yr programs in the US... The are of the Aceelerated format... hence no internship opportunity... In Europe, most programs have their course designed for a one yr period...

hey cabal,
Wat we were discussing here is basically One-yr programs in the US... The are of the Aceelerated format... hence no internship opportunity... In Europe, most programs have their course designed for a one yr period...

interesting point there. So what is it about the european MBAs that lets them accomodate internships and allow career switchers and take in people from different backgrounds? How differently are they structured as compared to the one-year US programs? I mean, if both are one year programs and one seems to be a lot more accomodative than the other, then the both should be fundamentally different in their structure and focus na? anyone knows?

I have absolutely no idea bout european one yr programs... had done my bit on US One-yr programs as I myself was interested in one... why dnt u just chk some of the top one yr european programs... Insead, IMD etc.

Hey me too intrested in a 1 yr MBA cant ...when i met some indian IMD guys at an MBA fair in mumbai...they were very strict on 5+ yr of work ex...and the INSEAD had a high avg GMAT 710.....most of u guys hv 700+ so that shud nt be problem.....i hv to work towards that now ...most other UK school represenatatives that i talked to to reqd a min 3 yrs work ex....but after talkin to all of them ...it felt as if they were selling someting.....i did not understand why INSEAD has to sell their MBA? may be i am wrong ..may be they just want to ineract and c who cud their future students be...

anyways i hv a frnd who is doin his MBA in Oxford Brookes (Oxford Brookes is diff from Oxford SAID that ranks in FT2005 ranking)......so if u ppl hv any Q 's u want me to ask him i will do the need ful....

cheers

Simpuji,

IMD ki aukaad hi nahi meri toh .............. Have a look at the profiles and you will get an idea.

I am toying with the idea of maybe giving the last stab at an MBA at IMD when I turn 32

Arun

Simpuji,

IMD ki aukaad hi nahi meri toh .............. Have a look at the profiles and you will get an idea.

I am toying with the idea of maybe giving the last stab at an MBA at IMD when I turn 32

Arun

yeah same here .....even i was thinking maybe a mediocre MBA now and then try IMD at the age of 29 -31...btw saw the class profile ...one indian IT professional wit 7.5 work ex ...and one MBA from FMS:wow: ......
Simpuji,

Arun

Hmmm...Interesting. One common thing that I observe here (which I observe everywhere abt our desi junta) is average age. While candidates from other countries have their average age around 33-34, except one, our junta are very young... just 28-29.
That is bad... Why does our desi junta want to complete all education before we get married/before we turn 30. Hope we desis are not destined to lose our learning capabilities when we turn 30+ :-)
Looking back, when I used to participate in 800 metre dash during my school days, the expert sprinters used to advise me that I should not start speeding at the start itself and during the first lap, I should gather all the energy that I need and only in the second lap, I should really amble... Hope that holds good for MBA also where we are supposed to work for next 25-30 years (from 30+) and we stagger our learning accordingly and not try to "learn" everything when we cant appreciate what the hell is that we are learning.
my apologies for digressing... :-)