The MICA GE/PI experiences!!

Hey guys… just thru with my MICAT!! Have been slotted for a post-lunch GE/PI… which gave me enuf time to come home & post my experience!!

Hey guys... just thru with my MICAT!! Have been slotted for a post-lunch GE/PI... which gave me enuf time to come home & post my experience!!

freaky_chakra21 Says
Hey guys... just thru with my MICAT!! Have been slotted for a post-lunch GE/PI... which gave me enuf time to come home & post my experience!!

how was it man.. what all question were there..give us a lowdown on the MICAT dude

P.S. best of lcuk 2 everyone 😃
Reached the venue sharp at 8 AM (as was the reporting time)... they took time to register all the people. Not really a bad thing, because u get to see a lotta interesting people at MICA ge/pi's. My personal fave was this guy who had turned up in a denim tee & jeans & chappals. Seems some ppl are just "too cool" to change u know!:)

Anyhow, the MICAT started exactly at 9:02 AM (yes iam not kidding)... duration of the exam was 1 hr.

Essentially a three section paper... and the advised time-limit was 10, 20 & 30 mins... altho it was not binding.

Section - A: Had 20 questions, word-associations (yes, it's still there this year!!) It was quite tricky, but if one attempted it with a cool head and w/o worrying too much... it should not have given too many headaches!

Section - B: was a standard psychometric test. 40 questions, basically describing situations you'd find urself in and how would u react to them. We had to rate ourselves on behaviour between 1 and 5. 1 being never possible, and 5 being always!

eg: When you fail at something, do you become upset - (if you never do, then ur answer shud be - 1). Was again standard stuff, not to rattle ur intellectual faculty too much! But be fore-warned, a lotta questions were re-phrased and inter-related. So if u want to fudge answers, u'll have to be very careful so that u dont contradict urself.

Freaky-Chakra tip for Sec-B: Dont try projecting any image... go with wat u feel u'd do if u were in that situation at that moment!

Section - C: Had three descriptive questions -

a) In your neighbourhood there is an illegal mall and a slum. What should be done?
Wrote some crap about demolishing the mall & resettling the slum-dwellers there. Nothing really very creative here 😞

b) How will u describe cricket to a woman who's never seen it
This one was a fave. One guy even drew a cricket - the insect! Now y dint i think of that!! Me i just tried to be witty!!

c) Write an argument either in favour or against women's reservation in parliament!!
This is pretty generic, shouldnt be a prob handling. Again tried to be witty. After isnt MICA the one place u r allowed to be "cool"

PS: oh and no indian culture thing was asked! so relax on that...

Have my ge/pi from 1:30 PM onwards... will post my experience by today evening! Wish me luck!!

Thanx a ton freaky Chakra .

ALL THE BEST for your GE/PI , let us know how it went !!

DOOOOOOOOOOOD..!!!!!

Thank you soooooooooooo very much...!!!! Lemme see if i can do the same tomorrow... so mate.. what are the slots like? I mean, when to when is the MICAT, and when to when the GD/PI ?

ChUcK

Awright !

ChUcK
Reached the venue sharp at 8 AM (as was the reporting time)... they took time to register all the people. Not really a bad thing, because u get to see a lotta interesting people at MICA ge/pi's. My personal fave was this guy who had turned up in a denim tee & jeans & chappals. Seems some ppl are just "too cool" to change u know!:)

Anyhow, the MICAT started exactly at 9:02 AM (yes iam not kidding)... duration of the exam was 1 hr.

Essentially a three section paper... and the advised time-limit was 10, 20 & 30 mins... altho it was not binding.

Section - A: Had 20 questions, word-associations (yes, it's still there this year!!) It was quite tricky, but if one attempted it with a cool head and w/o worrying too much... it should not have given too many headaches!

Section - B: was a standard psychometric test. 40 questions, basically describing situations you'd find urself in and how would u react to them. We had to rate ourselves on behaviour between 1 and 5. 1 being never possible, and 5 being always!

eg: When you fail at something, do you become upset - (if you never do, then ur answer shud be - 1). Was again standard stuff, not to rattle ur intellectual faculty too much! But be fore-warned, a lotta questions were re-phrased and inter-related. So if u want to fudge answers, u'll have to be very careful so that u dont contradict urself.

Freaky-Chakra tip for Sec-B: Dont try projecting any image... go with wat u feel u'd do if u were in that situation at that moment!

Section - C: Had three descriptive questions -

a) In your neighbourhood there is an illegal mall and a slum. What should be done?
Wrote some crap about demolishing the mall & resettling the slum-dwellers there. Nothing really very creative here 😞

b) How will u describe cricket to a woman who's never seen it
This one was a fave. One guy even drew a cricket - the insect! Now y dint i think of that!! Me i just tried to be witty!!

c) Write an argument either in favour or against women's reservation in parliament!!
This is pretty generic, shouldnt be a prob handling. Again tried to be witty. After isnt MICA the one place u r allowed to be "cool"

Have my ge/pi from 1:30 PM onwards... will post my experience by today evening! Wish me luck!!

Tankuuuuuuuuuu in tons yaar. it was grt help. 😃

hi guys, in sify outside IIM-B done with MICAT. Pretty much as Freaky put it and well done too. The main is to stick to the time limit given by them. 10 mins for the sec A 20 for sec B and 30 for Sec C. Go in that order and time limit.

DOnt worry there is no ad based stuff at all or gk..so just do some introspection and u can do well in the micat!

Thanks guys... will b leaving shortly for my ge/pi. Glad cud help ya all!! have a nice day!! 😃

Thanks, guys... now looks like i can delete all those useless "India" things i flicked from Wiki from my computer... never got around to reading them anyway...

Back to Bon Jovi and Wodehouse...

Freaky, Vahgar, BoL for the next session...
ChUcK

@fc and vaghar best of lcuk guys

@others is there a cahnce we get the same paper 😃

Hi all...

I really did not expect my MICA process to go so smoothly, and end so early. So, here I am, posting my experience, with enough time on my hand.

The MICAT is at 9 for everyone, and at 10, there's a break. About half the people are asked to wait, and their sessions begin at 10.30 AM. Others are called at 2, for the next session. GE, and PI are immediately after each other, with about a 15 min. break in between.

First, the MICAT...

Easy series of questions, no data required... No taglines, no names etc.

Divided into 3 parts, A, B, & C.

Part A is verbal. 20 questions, 10 minutes. 4 clues are given, and 4 options. The clues are one word each, and so are the options. All clues link to one option word, which is the answer. For eg.,

Clues:

cart
cider
eye
orange

Options

round
juice
apple
orchard
fruit

The answer is apple, because 'apple cart', cider is made from apple, 'apple of one's eye' and apple & orange together are fruits.

Part B is psychometric. choose from 1(strongly disagree) to 5(strongly agree) for 60 question statements, mostly related to teamwork & office problems. 20 minutes.

Part C is essay types. 3 questions, one page long answers. 30 mins. My questions were:

1. There's an illegal mall & a slum in your area. What should be done about them?
2. Explain the game of cricket to a woman who's never seen a single game.
3. Reservations from women in parliament & assembly. Agree or disagree. Your views.

Seems to me that I'm the first one posting about the GE/PI!! So, here goes...

Second, the GE.

Quite simple as such. You're given ten-eleven points, you first prioritise them, then as a grup, rank the points to be done in order. No polling allowed.

We all groups at JBIMS session 1 got this: The PM convenes a committee to usher India into the 21st century. The committe suggests 11 points to be prioritised.

As an individual, rank these in order, (5 min) then as a group, get a consensus on the top 3.
The points we got, in my order of preference were:
1. Education (Group rank 1)
2. Public health
3. water resources
4. power generation
5. roads & rails (Group rank 3)
6. Agriculture (Group rank 2)
7. Steel, cement & other industry
8. Mass media
9. tourism & hospitality
10. telecom & IT
11. pharma & biotech.

The GE became a fish market as everyone was trying to push in their top 3 for consensus, but wasn't ready to listen to others. Finally, it ended after about 20 mins or so. The panelist asked one of us to summarise, and then took everyone's opinion one by one.

The rankings - individual & group, have to be written on the sheet, with your name, and returned to the panel at the end.

Third, the PI.

Before I give my experience, the bad news. My PI was solely based on my form. As were a couple of others. Can see a few minds reading this go 'S***!!!'

The same panel who oversaw the GD took the PI. One industry person, one MICAn. Both quite young, in their late 20s, or early 30s.

They saw my events course details in the form, and asked, 'MICAT is an event. Tell us how it can be improved.' Bluffed something about streamlining the registration procedures. Then something expanded on that, my workex, especially since its not there on the form, what did I do after graduation, Why communication & events after IT and so on. Some questions asto why I took IT. Where did I go wrong in course selection, etc.

Then onto the part dreaded by everyone, the future plans.

As I have said in an earlier post, was able to bluff well for my corp comm and events stuff. They then moved to corp comm, as they'd already dissected events. Again, did well here.
Then, I was asked about being an under achiever, as my achievements column was empty in the form. I said that my achievements were actually unquantifyable, so they asked for examples. Gave them the example of being able to help others out, in college. That was about it.

PIs were ending quite fast, in about 10-15 mins each. Was free by 11, and the process began at 9, with the MICAT. Was 3rd in a group of 10, that's why.

Have come home for lunch & PG posting. Off to Pune in an hour or so. Will login from there later, for your brickbats.

Regards,
Grondmaster

thanks a lot freaky_chakra!

ATB for remaining process.....

Thanks a lot for your detailed posting grondmaster and freaky! All the best!! And grondmaster u really scared the s*** out of me man!! PI questions targeted at what you have written in the form!! I can only hope and pray that the interviewer turns a blind eye or misplaces my form because what I have written in the form as my career goal is "to setup a large IT Enterprise, much on the lines of an Infosys or a HP!!" Phew! How am I gonna relate that to doing a PGPCM at MICA!!!! Guess I will have to really think of something out of the blue to establish a relation........

Hi all...

I really did not expect my MICA process to go so smoothly, and end so early. So, here I am, posting my experience, with enough time on my hand.

The MICAT is at 9 for everyone, and at 10, there's a break. About half the people are asked to wait, and their sessions begin at 10.30 AM. Others are called at 2, for the next session. GE, and PI are immediately after each other, with about a 15 min. break in between.

First, the MICAT...

Easy series of questions, no data required... No taglines, no names etc.

Divided into 3 parts, A, B, & C.

Part A is verbal. 20 questions, 10 minutes. 4 clues are given, and 4 options. The clues are one word each, and so are the options. All clues link to one option word, which is the answer. For eg.,

Clues:

cart
cider
eye
orange

Options

round
juice
apple
orchard
fruit

The answer is apple, because 'apple cart', cider is made from apple, 'apple of one's eye' and apple & orange together are fruits.

Part B is psychometric. choose from 1(strongly disagree) to 5(strongly agree) for 60 question statements, mostly related to teamwork & office problems. 20 minutes.

Part C is essay types. 3 questions, one page long answers. 30 mins. My questions were:

1. There's an illegal mall & a slum in your area. What should be done about them?
2. Explain the game of cricket to a woman who's never seen a single game.
3. Reservations from women in parliament & assembly. Agree or disagree. Your views.

Seems to me that I'm the first one posting about the GE/PI!! So, here goes...

Second, the GE.

Quite simple as such. You're given ten-eleven points, you first prioritise them, then as a grup, rank the points to be done in order. No polling allowed.

We all groups at JBIMS session 1 got this: The PM convenes a committee to usher India into the 21st century. The committe suggests 11 points to be prioritised.

As an individual, rank these in order, (5 min) then as a group, get a consensus on the top 3.
The points we got, in my order of preference were:
1. Education (Group rank 1)
2. Public health
3. water resources
4. power generation
5. roads & rails (Group rank 3)
6. Agriculture (Group rank 2)
7. Steel, cement & other industry
8. Mass media
9. tourism & hospitality
10. telecom & IT
11. pharma & biotech.

The GE became a fish market as everyone was trying to push in their top 3 for consensus, but wasn't ready to listen to others. Finally, it ended after about 20 mins or so. The panelist asked one of us to summarise, and then took everyone's opinion one by one.

The rankings - individual & group, have to be written on the sheet, with your name, and returned to the panel at the end.

Third, the PI.

Before I give my experience, the bad news. My PI was solely based on my form. As were a couple of others. Can see a few minds reading this go 'S***!!!'

The same panel who oversaw the GD took the PI. One industry person, one MICAn. Both quite young, in their late 20s, or early 30s.

They saw my events course details in the form, and asked, 'MICAT is an event. Tell us how it can be improved.' Bluffed something about streamlining the registration procedures. Then something expanded on that, my workex, especially since its not there on the form, what did I do after graduation, Why communication & events after IT and so on. Some questions asto why I took IT. Where did I go wrong in course selection, etc.

Then onto the part dreaded by everyone, the future plans.

As I have said in an earlier post, was able to bluff well for my corp comm and events stuff. They then moved to corp comm, as they'd already dissected events. Again, did well here.
Then, I was asked about being an under achiever, as my achievements column was empty in the form. I said that my achievements were actually unquantifyable, so they asked for examples. Gave them the example of being able to help others out, in college. That was about it.

PIs were ending quite fast, in about 10-15 mins each. Was free by 11, and the process began at 9, with the MICAT. Was 3rd in a group of 10, that's why.

Have come home for lunch & PG posting. Off to Pune in an hour or so. Will login from there later, for your brickbats.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Thanks! Grondmaster...ATB for results..seems you has a pretty decent process...
Didn't they start of with ususal 'Tell us about urself?'

Others keep posting..

Hey nice going freaky and Grond...

great to see such unbridled enthu 😉

thanx grong n freaky!really helpful stuff!hope u guys make it n so do we!!!...had goosebumps going thru ur experiences.phewey!good luck ppl!

hey freaky n grond........ thanks a million man.......... it was so nice of u to post as soon as u got a chance.......... thanks again........

i pray all goes great for us also tomorrow...........

the form will b my down fall but well.......... shud handle it..........

wow... technology rules!!

thanks freaky and grond for those inputs... am sure the rest of us can start getting our acts in place. as for me, i'm only working on my interview and nothing else. if its only the form their going to ask from, then i'm sure i'm prepared enough.

@chuck dude: me in b'lore today.. let's see if we can spot each other tomm at iim-b. i'll be in a red shirt and grey trousers. what abt u? 😉