The IIMC 2007-09 helpdesk

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has made it so far, We’re getting to work now assigning you mentors. You all will get emails confirming the same soon. However, there are a lot of us from IIMC on PG and we’d be happy to answer any que…

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has made it so far, We're getting to work now assigning you mentors. You all will get emails confirming the same soon. However, there are a lot of us from IIMC on PG and we'd be happy to answer any queries you may have about the process or life on campus or even if "Life, the universe and everything"

All the best for the GD/PI stage everyone

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has made it so far, We're getting to work now assigning you mentors. You all will get emails confirming the same soon. However, there are a lot of us from IIMC on PG and we'd be happy to answer any queries you may have about the process or life on campus or even if "Life, the universe and everything"

All the best for the GD/PI stage everyone

OK..one silly query.Have got the IIMC call & it's given that u have got selected for both the programs(PGDM/PGDCM) but i haven't applied for the PGDCM one..i.e haven't sent the draft for the same(thou had shaded the oval in the CAT application form)

So any chance of actually getting the call for PGDCM??

@ashish

I'll have to get back to you on that one man, I hadn't applied for DCM myself, so don't know much about that process..

Aaradhya,

Please can you share with us as to what Business Functions IIMC is best at (better than A or B), and is rated as one of the best in B-Schools in India? I am talking something like Strategy/Marketing/Systems/HR.

Also, what is the primary difference between PGDM and PGDCM? Where would someone from PGDCM end up? Would he/she only have to opt for the IT world? Or ca he/she go for FMCG/COnsulting/IB as well?

hi aaradhyaa ... read ur post .... I got shortlisted and had applied for pgdcm too .... will I be eligible for both ???

till now : I have A and C , B reject maara ...

OK..one silly query.Have got the IIMC call & it's given that u have got selected for both the programs(PGDM/PGDCM) but i haven't applied for the PGDCM one..i.e haven't sent the draft for the same(thou had shaded the oval in the CAT application form)

So any chance of actually getting the call for PGDCM??

Hey Ashish...

Congo on the call. Regarding ur question, my take on it is that u r shortlisted for whatever progs u have applied for. To quote what is given "You have been shortlisted for Group Discussion and Personal Interview for the PGP programs(PGDM/PGDCM) you have applied for".

Now even i am shortlisted for GD/PI, so don't take this as the final word. Just my thought on it.

EDIT: Even i feel the sentence is bit vague though if u have applied for both

Hi Ashish,
Sorry to intrude on Aradhya's turf!:)
But last year I had filled DCM option and was shortlisted for that.
I dont think you would be shortlisted without you paying the draft.
And then, for people with DCM shortlists there will be two dates - one for the DCM written test and other for the GD/PI which is common for DM/DCM.

Good luck junta!

Cheers,
Vivek

Hi Ashish,
Sorry to intrude on Aradhya's turf!:)
But last year I had filled DCM option and was shortlisted for that.
I dont think you would be shortlisted without you paying the draft.
And then, for people with DCM shortlists there will be two dates - one for the DCM written test and other for the GD/PI which is common for DM/DCM.

Good luck junta!

Cheers,
Vivek

Thank you for that info Vivek, and feel free to intrude whenever... 😃

I guess that should answer your query for now, I'll get back if I find out more
Hey Ashish...

Congo on the call. Regarding ur question, my take on it is that u r shortlisted for whatever progs u have applied for. To quote what is given "You have been shortlisted for Group Discussion and Personal Interview for the PGP programs(PGDM/PGDCM) you have applied for".

Now even i am shortlisted for GD/PI, so don't take this as the final word. Just my thought on it.

EDIT: Even i feel the sentence is bit vague though if u have applied for both

Yeah actually even i felt the same but 'Yeh dil ko kaise samjhau'??:
Aaradhya,

Please can you share with us as to what Business Functions IIMC is best at (better than A or B), and is rated as one of the best in B-Schools in India? I am talking something like Strategy/Marketing/Systems/HR.

Also, what is the primary difference between PGDM and PGDCM? Where would someone from PGDCM end up? Would he/she only have to opt for the IT world? Or ca he/she go for FMCG/COnsulting/IB as well?

OK.. as far as the functions question is concerned, IIMC is traditionally considered THE place to be for finance. So a lot of people here end up looking at I-banks. There's no dearth of opportunities in other roles though. Ultimately, placement wise A,B and C are more or less at par with each other.

Also, the guys from DCM have the same avenues as the DM people. They also have mostly the same courses. The only difference is that they have some IT related courses in their curriculum, such as DBMS/ERP systems, in place of some of our courses on subjects such as Sociology/Business ethics etc.

They apply to the same companies, and get the same profiles as PGDM students.

Also, PGDM students have to take a qualifying maths exam a week after coming here, which you need to clear within 3 attempts in order to be eligible for admission. DCM does not have something like this, as they have already had the ATM

Hi Aaradhya.

I have a GD/PI call from IIM C. Let me give my scores here.

VA- 99.99
QA- 94.5
Di - 95.22
Total - 99.71

My Profile:

X - 87
Xii -- 83
Engg -- 64.

Work ex -- 5+ years in Software Sales.

Let me know what should be the exact approach to GD/PI.

Is my work ex going to help me or is it going to be a problem? ( I know 5 yrs is too much)

Reg,
Surya

@Surya
The first thing I'd do os have a really convincing answer to the 'why MBA' question. Also, given your work-ex, expect to be asked a lot of in-depth questions about your company/your role there etc.

In my opinion, your overall percentile looks very good, given the 5 years in the industry. They may ask you some questions on Maths too, as the QA is below 95..

thanks very much for this thread. i got shortlisted for gd/pi too.

looking forward to gain valuable insights into the process and interaction with snrs/shortlisted ppl.

good luck everyone! 😃

Hi Aaradhya.

I have a GD/PI call from IIM C. Let me give my scores here.

VA- 99.99
QA- 94.5
Di - 95.22
Total - 99.71

My Profile:

X - 87
Xii -- 83
Engg -- 64.

Work ex -- 5+ years in Software Sales.

Let me know what should be the exact approach to GD/PI.

Is my work ex going to help me or is it going to be a problem? ( I know 5 yrs is too much)

Reg,
Surya

I had 5 years work-ex in IT. In my IIMC interview, they kept grilling me about my career goals. They then concluded that I have no clarity as to what I want to do in life. Then they made a generic statement that most candidates come to this place with no idea what to do in life and asked me to comment on his statement. I replied probably true in case of most people. I thought I was out. But guess what - I got the final call from C.

Ps - I hope IIMC guys don't mind me answering queries here. You guys feel free to anwer queries on IIMA thread.
OK.. as far as the functions question is concerned, IIMC is traditionally considered THE place to be for finance. So a lot of people here end up looking at I-banks. There's no dearth of opportunities in other roles though. Ultimately, placement wise A,B and C are more or less at par with each other.

Aaradhya, With that being the case, what about students who are looking to specialize in Strategy/Consulting? How is IIMC for that? Would you recommend any other school for this area? I have over 7 yrs workex and am looking to move into Strategy/Consulting/M&A.; I am currently in IT Project Management.

What say?

I have been shortlisted for GD and PI . my scores
QA 94.79
DI 99.05
VA 99.33

OA : 99.51

I have 44 months workex in Merchant navy . I feel that most of the interview panelist might not b having idea abt my work profile so what sort of question i may expect . My scores in 10th and 12th were really low

Aaradhya, With that being the case, what about students who are looking to specialize in Strategy/Consulting? How is IIMC for that? Would you recommend any other school for this area? I have over 7 yrs workex and am looking to move into Strategy/Consulting/M&A.; I am currently in IT Project Management.

What say?

M&A; will be considered Finance, the I-banks offer 2 roles, in markets and in the IBD, which handles M&As.;

Like I said before, all 3 schools are at par with Strat/Consulting too. The difference is in the pedagogy, IIMC is a much more quantt focussed school than the others, which is the reason for our 'superiority' in Fin jobs.

Addendum to the previous post:

"Amongst the campuses....all the consultancy firms go to all the campuses...except Booze Allen which sometime goes to A...and Diamond Cluster which Comes to B and C. The big 3 (McKinsey, BCG and ATK go to all 3)

In terms of faculty ...our strat faculty is pretty good...we have 4-5 very good proffessors....in A also there are a few good profs...in B one is extremely good and influential..dont know about others....so there is not much to choose"

What say?

First of all Congrats everyone on having cleared the tougher of the 2 hurdles. From hereon we will take charge and make sure IIMC has a selection dilemma this year!

To answer your question catapulted I am from a Strategy consulting background and am currently headed to M&A; for my summers. IIMC has a very different approach to education as compared to the other IIMs in terms of its sheer quantitative rigor and analytical tilt. This has contributed largely to the finance bent of the typical IIMCian. Also the Finance/Economics/Quant faculty that IIMC boasts of are to put simply unmatched in India or most of Asia for that matter. This apart from the sheer numbers in alumni who throng the banks and consulting firms of the world add to the whole picture.

Since you are specifically targeting Strategy I would presume you would have the big 4 consulting firms (Mck, BCG,ATK, Bain) in your mind. Again there are niche consulting firms (Value Partners, Diamond ) who are pretty much IIMC driven firms. The Strategy Group in IIMC is small as in other schools but definitely rivals the Finance Group in terms of the sheer depth of experience of the faculty here. And as a final rejoinder try checking out the list of Partners and Principals in Mck or BCG or even Bain. IIMC has one of the best representations out there if not the best.

I am not quite in a position to recommend any other school in India to you. IIMC PGPEX maybe! but again depends on your exact need and expectations. Actually why don't you post your queries in greater detail here. I am sure we all can benefit!

Congrats again call getters. And for those in and around Calcutta or with a deep pocket you might want to drop into the Joka campus this weekend. Intaglio is on and it will give you a glimpse of what being an MBA is all about.

INTAGLIO