The Foodies Thread!!! - A Treat for the Foodies on PG

I was searching this thread for a thread that would ‘cater’ to the foodie in me, and was disappointed to se no such thread active on PG :: :: So here goes!!! Calling all Foodies!!! Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ludhiana, Vizag, …

I was searching this thread for a thread that would 'cater' to the foodie in me, and was disappointed to se no such thread active on PG

So here goes!!!!

Calling all Foodies!!! Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ludhiana, Vizag, La La Land, etc etc... wherever you are!! Come and share it with us!! the experience! the eating out place, that roadside dhaba, that paani puri ki rehdi that serves the awesomest of stuffs!! :w00t:

Review eateries :wow:, share recepies :w00t:, let us know of that new eating joing that opened in your city :lookround:, that new cooking website you discovered , whatever!!

Let us know how you feel about various cuisines , the new cuisines that you tried, you liked, you did not like, weirdest things you have tasted and the ones you want to taste ....

If you like food, this thread is supposed to be a heaven for you!!

Get set for a 7 course meal on PG :D:cheers:

So here's to the foodies on PG!!!

:cheers:
Aditya

Ok we had local thread for eating joints, but none for Food reviews as such.
This is super

I am assuming we do post food trivia as well. Can some one impart more wisdom on Wines and cheese please?

Ok we had local thread for eating joints, but none for Food reviews as such.
This is super

I am assuming we do post food trivia as well. Can some one impart more wisdom on Wines and cheese please?

Calling all Foodies!!! Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ludhiana, Vizag, La La Land, etc etc... wherever you are!! Come and share it with us!! the experience! the eating out place, that roadside dhaba, that paani puri ki rehdi that serves the awesomest of stuffs!! :w00t:

Review eateries :wow:, share recepies :w00t:, let us know of that new eating joing that opened in your city :lookround:, that new cooking website you discovered , whatever!!

Let us know how you feel about various cuisines , the new cuisines that you tried, you liked, you did not like, weirdest things you have tasted and the ones you want to taste ....

The Scope of this thread??? Umm... endless!!! Sharing recepies is also one of them. Food Trivia

As Long as its related to food (and beverage :biggrin:), its all welcome here

I for one know that you are a big foodie yourself. AND an experimentator with cooking, so i am looking forward to some amazing contributions from you here

Oooohh........ :shocked:

We didnt have a thread like this :w00t:

Well I will stalk this thread

Food is my middle name...Love to cook and eat out too :biggrin:

Thanks Aditya

Cheers
Pallavi

hey nice work aditya,seems a very intresting thread for ppl like me who are die heart foodie and as v no that saadi dilli is the food paradise in INDIA so,i hope i ll contribute here very much and lets initiate to post for this delicious thread

popcorn trivia
Popcorn has been a food product for over 6,000 years.
Popcorn pops because of the moisture content inside the shell. Each kernel of corn consists of a soft starch inside and a hard shell outside. As the kernel is heated, the moisture inside the kernel expands, the soft starch is cooked, and it bursts the outer shell with a pop. The kernels must contain at least 13.5% water in order to explode.

yaha khana b milega kya???

Did I hear FOOD?

Well well well...now in Delhi and I dont know many places here. So what? I was in Bangalore for more than 2.5 years. I'll share info on some of the great places to eat in Bangalore:

1. Mast Kalandar- This place serves THE best and tastiest food. My favourite restaurant by far. OK...dont belive it? I am a hardcore maansahaari (non-veg ) but this place, despite being only veg., is my fav restaurant. Great taste, ambience and healthy food at a reasonable price. What more does one want? Your life is incomplete if you haven't had food there. (ok ok...got a little too excited 😁 )

2. Barbeque Nation- Non veg = Barbeque Nation . At Rs. 450/-, the buffet might sound expensive, but wait until you binge on the starters. Its worth it. A foodie like me eats food worth much more than 450 there...so its paisa vasool. The starters are amazing...chicken, mutton, fish, prawns...plus two-three veg ones. Then the main course is also good and finally the desserts are a great finish to the awesome food.

3. Taste of Rampur- Its opp. Forum, next to Hyderabad House. Awesome non-veg you get there. A tad expensive, but trust me folks, its worth it! Great ambience, great non-veg. The chicken shorba is a must have. Its aroma is ummm.....I wanted to seal that khushboo in a bottle

4. Oye Amritsar- At Church Street, this is a great place to have food in a punjabi village like set-up. If you are the posh-type, have it at Oye-Shaava...same building, same owner...just one floor below Oye Amritsar.

5. Gramin- Good vegetarian food, offers a village like set-up. Just a bit costly though.

6. Zaika- Next to Gramin , much cheaper, veg. food and tastes a bit better than Gramin. Ambience is nil though, but definitely worth a go, esp. if there is a long waiting queue at Gramin If you are there, you must try their Spinach soup. It slays!

7. Legacy of Punjab- If you are too keen to spend too much, go there. Ambience is really really good, but food is just ok. Its on Richmond Road. Village-like walls, filmy posters of Sunny pa-ji, Mithun Da (aey...kya re! *gives a pelvic thrust* ;)), DDLJ and the like, its fun! Food is still ok, sometime you got to go to some place for its sheer ambience too. Note: Don't get scared if at 2 p.m. the music volume increases and the waiters start doing Bhangra Its their daily routine n lasts for 3-4 mins. Its fun! :clap:

8. Bobby da Dhaba- OK, you may have heard a lot of good things about this. Its really a dhaba...very good food! Its adjacent to the Gurudwara, on the end of MG Road. But recently, Bobby pa-ji has become more business minded and increased the prices, but still worth going there.

9. Meghna's Biryani- Its adjacent to Paramount Hotel in Koramangala. never been there, but have got rave reviews about its biryani. Some say its the best biryani in Bangalore.

10. Hyderabad House- Another biryani house. Good quantity and good taste. The normal biryani might taste a bit bland to most, so better order a double masala biryani.

11. Chandni Chowk- Mehenga hai but khana aur ambience theek hai. Nothing to write home about. Pretty decent.

12. The Dhaba- Its all about the great ambience...village setup. Heard its costly (probably thats why I've never been there ;)) Always wanted to try it though, never got the time.

13. Bon-South- Super South Indian food. Costly but definitely worth a go.

14. Rice Bowl- Again...costly and upmarket. Good for Chinese and Thai food lovers. I don't like Chinese though

15. Radha Hometel- Now where from a restaurant in Whitefield come up in my list? Simple...its near my office and had a few team lunches there. Its obviously costly but the desserts simply blow you away. The caramel custard is a must-have.

Some more respectable mentions: Dal Roti, Aangan, Three-Quarter Chinese, Hyderabad Biryani.

Metal's words of wisdom for foodies: If still confused on where to go and what to have, go to KFC

Finally!!! "Bhukkhon" k liye thread :clap:

Bhukha comm ki jai

Aaaiye aaiye aaiye...aap kitne khate piite :drinking: khandan se hain...yahan bataiye :biggrin:

Apni sehat k raaz humse share kijiye

Aapne wo khatarnaak daal jisko kha k 4 log shaheed hue the...wo aapne kaise banai thi...hume yahan bataien

Aapki gf/bf/bivi/shohar ne jab pehle baar namak wala halwa banaya tha, to aapko kaisa mehsuus hua tha...hume bataen. Kahan? Arrey bilkul yahin

Aaiye aur humare chote se pyare se bawarchikhane ka hissa ban jaiye

I was searching this thread for a thread that would 'cater' to the foodie in me, and was disappointed to se no such thread active on PG

So here goes!!!!

If you like food, this thread is supposed to be a heaven for you!!

Get set for a 7 course meal on PG :D:cheers:

So here's to the foodies on PG!!!

:cheers:
Aditya

there's a similar thread i used to follow here -- http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gr8-food-joints-in-mumbai-25003084

but its mumbai specific only....so this new thread is a welcome addition 😁

So here goes!!!!

First of all, heartfelt thanks to Aditya for opening this thread.We foodies can sure have lot of fun here.

Let me start off with a review here.
Tried out the restaurant Machan in Mani Square Mall in Kolkata.
The decor(if I can say so ) resembles a jungle and the dim lighting makes for a relaxed ambience.

Started off with Tamatar Dhania Shorba(nice),Jal jeera(okay okay types),Bhune huye makai k daane(Awesome) and Bharatpur ka chaat(bit sweet,but refreshingly different).

Ordered Ajwaini roti,Pattewali roti and Tandoori roti alongwith Kadai paneer and Kaale Chhole(too good,must try..I relished the leftover at breakfast today :cheers:).

Though I didn't try non-veg,but it too has been recommended quite heavily by my friends who have been there.

Service at Machan was of pretty high standards.After every course,they do come and ask for shortcomings,if any.

An interesting thing that happened is that while we had asked all the roties to be buttered,they somehow missed out on that part.So by the time they took it back and applied butter on it and got it back,it became quite hard.So,when we brought it to their notice,they got the entire section of breads redone and made it complimentary
Machan also the provision for drinks at not too costly rates :drinking:
In short,a place worth visiting for the food and service

Yipeee!!!! a thread for food

I started one a year and a half back but the response was dull. Anyway, it's time an ex-chef graces this thread by posting here

I believe there should not be any taboos as far as food is concerned and i am not averse to eat anything, at least once. My philosophy: If anyone anywhere eats it, i can eat it too.

Believe me, i have tried many weird things and these things top the chart

1. Octopus
2. Oysters ( They are ok, once you get past the squeamishness of eating it raw)
3. Aboriginal peppercorns from Australia. (they are hot in a different kind of way)

Few things i am dying to try out:

1. Fugu fish - A dish that can kill you if not prepared properly. A japanese specialty made from a highly toxic fish. Special license is required by a chef to prepare it.

2. Crocodile/Kangaroo/Ostrich meat

3. Bugs and scorpions (wanna try them once, just for the heck of it)

Will keep posting recipes (if anyone wants me to )

Cheers
Sukrit

First and foremost, I'm a veggie.
Second and below-foremost, I'm live in a small town where we don't get those fancy dishes.

Haan, hun main bhukhhad. Lekin jaao, pehle uss aadmi ko pakad ke laao, who passed the decree that Engineers will be bhukkhad, by default.

The eateries in Ujjain where the poster of this post can be found frequently convincing seniors, classmates ... actually, all and sooraj-sukhe ... (a pause to ruminate on the novel use of the vernacular language) to treat him for highly important successes in life ... (read - the occasion of receiving insurance cover for bike after a major accident) -

1. Shri Ganga Mishthan Bhandar - I remember the complete menu card at this place. All the waiters and cashiers and even, the restaurateur know me. The Papdi Chaat and Raj Kachori served here are heavenly bliss

2. Jain Namkin Kendra - This is a place which has risen from the humble beginnings of a gumti (click to read the Wikipedia entry for gumti :biggrin:) to a stage where the owner has a Skoda Octavia . He serves awe-all, AC-tastic, fabu-win poha, kachori, samosa, aloo bada. His biggest strength is his customer-connect and his down-to-earth nature. And the sev he makes ... OMG ... I can study on exam nights only due to his sev-parmal :cheerio:

will come back with more later. Heading to CR where a junior has got garma-garam Poha :D

Cheers and Regards
AFC

My friend was visiting me yesterday and I told him i need to throw off the bread soon as its expiry date is coming close. He made something that was really cool. This might be in 'Maharashtrian Cuisine' I vaguely remember eating something similar. But we named it "Bread Bhurji" :biggrin: Of course you can try out different spices. I always put random stuff so that it tastes different every time 😉 . I made today also, tasted good.

"Bread Bhurji" :

Heat up some Oil in a Pan
sauted the onions
Add salt, pepper, dhaniya powder, garam masala, amchur powder...whatever u can find
Tear apart the bread into small small pieces of random shapes and sizes and add it to the onions.
Fry for sometime and you will know when its ready :-P
You can eat this with Tomato CatchUp :-P or Dhaniya patta Chutney

You can have your favorite :drinking: with it !
Njaaay

Cheers,

BLUFF

First and foremost, I'm a veggie.
Second and below-foremost, I'm live in a small town where we don't get those fancy dishes.
:D

Cheers and Regards
AFC

Indore ki Namkeen
Chaat

/me puts on the apron ... (not for Alpesh...for a change )

**stands in the kitchen and thinks what to make**

/me remembers wen she used to cook anything for the first time, she used to put down the recepie in her diary :lookround:

/me remembers the first time she made "besan k laddu"...learnt from momma :wails: *momma's besan k laddu are out of this world...and out of reach most of the times * *my frends finish them before i could lay my eyes on them *

/me was in std. 8th or so...wen she first made besan k laddu

/me wrote the recipie in the diary and it goes like this -

-ghar me sabse badi kadhai dhund k nikalen aur usko burner pe rakhen

-ghanshyam stores se besan ka packet mangwaaen :biggrin:

- burner on karen aur kadhai uspe rakhen :

- ghar ka bana hua ghee us kadhai me daalen...tab tak daalen jab tak aapki antar aatma aapko heart attack ka notice na bhej de :lookround:

- ghee pighal jae, to usme besan daalen thoda thoda kar k...ek ek katori...aur spatula chalate rahen constantly

- yaad rakhen ki ye recepie me koi proportion nahi hai...tukke baji pe kaam karen :|

- jab lage ki ghee-besan ki consistency achhi ho gai hai to besan daalna band kar den

- ab dheemi aanch pe is besan aur ghee ko bhuniye...bhuniye...bhuniye....arrey abhi aur bhuniye...tab tak bhuniye jab tak aapke hathon me chhale na padd jaen (i literally got chhale :-()

- jab besan bhun k brownish ho jae aur uski khushbu se golu (mera doggie) aake kitchen platform pe forelimbs se khada ho jae, to iska matlab hai besan bhun chuka hai :clap:

- doodh ka cheenta de ke 2 min bhune

- ab besan ko thanda hone k liye rakh den...subah se kuch aur to kiya nahi...ab wo baaki saare kaam karen :

- shakkar mixer me peesen...(i dont like boora shakkar :nono:)

- khub saari elaichi cheelen...aur usko bhi powder kar len

- dry fruits jo aapko pasand ho (me puts badam and kishmish :biggrin:) ko kaat len in small pieces (beech me kaat te hue kha bhi len ;))

- besan thanda ho gaya ho to usme shakkar milana shuru karen (hath se milaen...ghee jam jaane pe chammach se shakkar nahi milegi :)

- sweetness ki jaanch k liye beech me taste kar k dekhen ya meri mummy ki tarah mere peeche paden *official "taste" er*

- jab shakkar theek lage to ab elaichi powder aur dry fruits daalen aur mix karen :biggrin:

- ab small proportions of the mixture le k ladoo banaen. mummmy ki tarah aadhe tedhe na banaen...meri tarah "takla makaan" banaen (thts wat me n mom call a laddu made by me...it resembles a taklu ka head 😐 *no offence meant to the deprived ones :)

- thaali me concentric circles me laddu sajaen (gives a sense of achievement )

- last me ek chota sa laddu golu ko khilaen :biggrin:

****eeti shesh**** :clap: :clap: priyajano ko khilaen evam khud bhi khaen

*hum lautenge wapas fir aisi hi ek dhamakedar recepie k saath...jald hi*

Hey guys , ive put up a blog covering eating places in delhi, its just started and will grow over time.
check out:
Delhi foodies
Delhi Foodies

Hey guys , ive put up a blog covering eating places in delhi, its just started and will grow over time.
check out:
Delhi foodies
Delhi Foodies

Amazing Blog!! Keep it up man!! 😁

Hola...

The Foodie Strikes again

I went to my all time favourite Chinese plasce last night.... Xian!!
Awesome food at unbelievable prices... It started out as a take-away joint and eventually expanded by adding a handful of tables.

Try these:
Lemon Coriander Chicken Soup
Chicken Satay
Chilly Baby Corn
Chicken in Pepper Sauce
Main course: Veggies in some sauce :p
Lemon chicken
Hunan chicken
burnt garlic noodles
Chicken fried rice...
Dessert- we never get it...ice=cream finish ho jati hai

More later

Cheers
Pallavi

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/cooking-recipies-25017502

Posting the link to a thread where I and a few others ve posted some easy to prepare, handy, delicious recipes.
Will be useful for those having an access to the kitchen :)
Cheers!