The fiasco called: [CAT 2010]

CAT 2010 has resulted in anger, disappointment, rejection and bewilderedness for a majority of the Junta. I really don’t know what can be done to make it better in 2011, but I would like to make a few points and it would be really great if some…

CAT 2010 has resulted in anger, disappointment, rejection and bewilderedness for a majority of the Junta.
I really don't know what can be done to make it better in 2011, but I would like to make a few points and it would be really great if someone from PG can take an initiative to raise the concerns.

A) What went right? :thumbsup:
1) Kudos to the way the exam was conducted. It has been glitch free for almost everyone. I guess the CAT team deserves an applause for this.

B) What went wrong? :splat:
1) The opaqueness of the normalization process.
3) Leaking of the results.
2) Different shortlisting criteria's from the different IIM's - none of which is known at the time of filling the CAT form.

C) What can be done to improve CAT 2011?

1) First and foremost, I would request all the IIM's to be very clear about their selection criteria and this should be released alongwith the CAT forms, so that people know what to expect from CAT. And by listing the criteria it's just not about mentioning 20% weightage to 10th, 12th etc. If the IIMs are calculating indexed scores - the criteria should be clear and crisp alongwith the cutoff score and the students applying should be able to calculate it on their own, so that they know whether they are eligible or not. For e.g IIM K had a cutoff index score of 88.5. However ridiculous the methodology used to calculate it may be, but it should be known before applying alongwith the cutoff score.
Is it really this hard to do so, considering that almost no weightage is given to CAT by most of the IIMs now?

2) Have a base application fee for taking CAT - say 700 Rs. and then a subsequent application fee for each of the IIMs. If one is not eligible for say IIM A or IIM K then why should he/she be paying the whole amount. That's unfair and abusing your monopoly.

D) This one is my personal view
-
Why not have a minimum cutoff criteria for grads - similar to the IIT's. Wouldn't it make much more sense? The cutoff criteria can be easily identified across different boards and streams. In my opinion, they have enough data from previous years to calculate this.
It could be something like 70% for CBSE, 55% for Bihar, UP etc and say 60% for Engineering grads and 50% for Humanities. (I am just giving sample data :lookround: )

PUY's, if you feel this is right then we should come up with a way to put forward our concerns to the IIM's and the CAT team for 2011.

if they come up with a common criteria, people with bad academics will be robbed of an oppertunity called iim c and iim ranchi to redeem their previous sins

I am not asking them to come up with a common criteria..all the IIM's can have their different criteria's. But atleast let it be known beforehand. So that people like me who even after scoring 99.XX wouldnt end up dissapointed. What's the whole point of giving CAT then, you slog and slog, work hard and end up without calls for not being able to remember what Mr. Bachchan wrote in his poem 'Madhushala' or what John Bernard Shaw meant while writing Pygmalion.

why to come up with a minimum cut off bro........

let it be 50%.....everyone should be given equal oppurtunity to prove him/herself.....

n the most important thing CAT score should be given 100 % weightage....:cheerio:

i think this will solve most,if not all,of our problems ;)

thanks

why to come up with a minimum cut off bro........

let it be 50%.....everyone should be given equal oppurtunity to prove him/herself.....

n the most important thing CAT score should be given 100 % weightage....:cheerio:

i think this will solve most,if not all,of our problems ;)

thanks

The minimum cutoff if for IIMs that focus on acads. Let them keep their criteria. They have the autonomy. What I am looking for here is accountability.
Take IIM A for example. Very simple criteria AR>=21, CAT >= 99. That's perfect! Only thing they messed up is not to take different boards into consideration. People from Bihar, UP will never make it. And when the institute runs on Govt funds, it has the responsibility to provide equal opportunity for all.
Take IIM K criteria. 5% in CBSE is roughly the same as 10%ile in CAT when it comes to their indexed scores. So basically a guy getting 5% more marks than me in 10th Board and scoring 89%ile in CAT scores ahead of me - all other things being the same.