Tepper (Carnegie Mellon) 2008 Interviews and Beyond

Hi, I couldn’t find any thread related to Tepper for fall 2008 admissions. We can post our profiles and share our interview experiences here. My profile: GMAT - 690(Q50,V33) WE - 4 yrs by fall 2008 Undergrad - Good EC - not much …

Hi,

I couldn't find any thread related to Tepper for fall 2008 admissions. We can post our profiles and share our interview experiences here.

My profile:
GMAT - 690(Q50,V33)
WE - 4 yrs by fall 2008
Undergrad - Good
EC - not much

Looking at last year's posts it seems that getting into Tepper for anyone(Indian IT) with GMAT
--Sid

Hi kalsid,

Good to find co-applicants for CMU 2008. Here is my profile:

Associated Applicant Pool - IIM (Indian/IT/Male) ??:
GMAT - 720 (Q49,V38, AWA-5.5)
WE - IT Professional (5 yrs by fall 2008 - 4 years abroad by fall 2008 )
Designation - Applicant Expert and Technical Lead
Location - Limassol, Cyprus
Undergrad - B.Sc. (Physics) (Good) (First division)
Postgrad - MCA (University Merit-position holder)
EC - Very good in College, average afterwards
Target Profession post-MBA - Consulting

About your apprehensions for your profile, well, it is certainly a tough pool that we both belong to.

All the best for your application.

Regards

I'm applying to Tepper for the same season.

Profile:

10th - 84.8
12th - 83.1
B.Tech (IIT) - 6.76

Good EC in school & college

3 years work-ex by 2008 July from a premier IT Consulting firm in India
3 months of international work-ex
Good client appreciation and awards at work

Recos from manager and client manager

I think the challenge would be to put across all this in the essays.

Good luck to all.

Its great to see people sharing the same interest of joining Tepper in 2008. I am also a Round 1 applicant to Tepper and after a ding from ISB,i am seriously hoping to get through this one.

Yeah, Kalsid, even i went through the whole thread of last year applications and looks like Tepper does the initial filtering on the basis of GMAT. In that case, its gonna be a stretch for me. My profile:

GMAT: 700 (Certainly the WEAKest point)

Work experience: Terrific. Technology Consultant, HP (3 years at the time of admit)
Have received awards for technology leadership and innovation and five other employee awards.
Have presented papers in international conference at HP.

International Experience: 1 year in turkey+ 1.5 in US + 0.5 in India
Extra Curriculars and Acads: Good

I am keeping my fingers crossed to hear something from tepper. I heard that they start giving out interview invitations in a week after the deadline.

Has anyone heard anything from them yet?

I requested and finished my interview on 25th...since I live close by (NJ)....interview was very cool. The place is really good. Hoping to hear from them soon !!

Thats great. Thanks for letting us know. I guess, now its gonna be a long wait for you as results don't come out from Tepper before the declared date.

Btw, tell us something about the kind of questions they asked and share your experience about the visit.

All the best. Hope you get through.

Hi folks,
Has any of you heard anything from Tepper yet? regarding interviews or change in application status?

This is the latest status on the application page:

Stage 3: Credentials Received - Application Under Review by the Admissions Committee

Regards

ditto for me...all the best mr_vats.

I also got a mail from someone in Tepper saying my app is complete and decisions will be out on Dec.21...long wait !

This is the latest status on the application page:

Stage 3: Credentials Received - Application Under Review by the Admissions Committee

Regards

Yeah, i am also seeing the same thing. Stage 3: Credentials Received .. application under review and on the bottom of the page, application status as complete with the list of documents that i have sent to them.

Is it the same for you guys? Haven't heard from them regarding interview. did anybody get an interview invitation yet? I checked on admissions411 and could see few of the guys gettin an invitation but none from india so far.

I got an email yesterday from Tepper to call up and schedule my interview......I read on their website that everybody applying before December 3rd, will be given an opportunity to have an interview........Its only after that the interviews are by invitation only.....

Has anybody else also got their interviews scheduled?

karan, thats great news that interview invitations have started coming through. What does your application status say?

Do you also see: Stage 3 Credentials received and application under review and at the bottom of the page, status: completed with the list of documents you have submitted.

the funny thing is that my applications status says

Stage 2: Incomplete Application Received

well that was because my transcripts only listed out the subject names and overall grade....not subject wise....I emailed them my scanned marksheets....so probably they'll change it to under review sometime next week.........

but as I said in the previous post.......everybody applying before 3rd Dec can approach them for an interview....so probably u need to call them up urself to fix up the interview

I had my telephonic interview on nov15th, by a person named Gwen
She called exactly on dot...here r the qs
1. walk me thru ur edu, career
2. why mba
3. why tepper
4. team related strengths/weaknesses(at this stage i realized
that she hadnt read my essays ??: ... thot i shda answered my Q1 in greater detail)
5. Strengths/Weakness in ur application
6. wat do u do in free time
7. if u were in my place why wud u select/reject urself?
8. any questions..

as u can see no surprises...it was normal...keep in mind that the interviewer may/maynt ve read ur essays

7th questions seems a bit tricky...........lemme guess.........u would have definitely said that u'll pick urself :)

neways..I think this question is a bit similar to "what are your unique qualities" and "what will u bring to the MBA" questions....

7th questions seems a bit tricky...........lemme guess.........u would have definitely said that u'll pick urself :)

neways..I think this question is a bit similar to "what are your unique qualities" and "what will u bring to the MBA" questions....

Actually the question was "If you were in my place, why would you select urself...and also what reason wud u use to reject urself"

can some1 throw more light on the scholarship part of tepper...the site mentions v lil abt it.
Also, gwen told me tat 30-40% of ppl get schols and the value wud be 5k-100% of tution fee. Does anyone know abt indians gettin schols?

anyone receive an interview invitation from tepper yet?

yeah I was interviewed on 29th........ it was pretty basic...

1. tell me about yourself ?
2. why MBA ?
3. why TEPPER?
4. what are your interests outside work?
5. what are the red flags on your application?
6. what is your leadership style?

and then she gave me some time to ask questions...............

it was a very brief interview...........say about 20 minutes.....they interviewed everybody applying before 3rd December....infact you have to take the initiative and schedule the interview..........after 3rd December it will be on an invitation only basis.

I'd submitted my application on 27th Oct and was interviewed on 21 Nov. Typical questions: why MBA, why Tepper, social involvements outside work, leadership experiences, what are your immediate short term goals after Tepper MBA, how relevant is your current job profile to the MBA and your post MBA goals, etc.

All the best to everyone...