Telephonic Interviews - How effective?

Hi all, I am applying to some B schools which do not hold interviews in my country of residence. So, the option for me is to select telephonic interview. However, i am not convinced if that is the right choice for an interview. What has …

Hi all,

I am applying to some B schools which do not hold interviews in my country of residence. So, the option for me is to select telephonic interview. However, i am not convinced if that is the right choice for an interview.

What has been puy's experience on this? I would also like to hear your point of view on this.

Majority of People who dont live in Americas have to do with telephonic interviews. Though a bit of disadvantage it will not earn u a reject. Schools know that travelling to US just for the sake of Interviews is simply not practical. and remember majority of your pool would be having telephonix intvs

Hi all,

I am applying to some B schools which do not hold interviews in my country of residence. So, the option for me is to select telephonic interview. However, i am not convinced if that is the right choice for an interview.

What has been puy's experience on this? I would also like to hear your point of view on this.

Another aspect worth thinking about. There are some schools (usually smaller batch size) that don't encourage alumni interviews. They prefer having their adcomm team or profs interviewing every single candidate, to ensure uniformity in terms of the selection criteria. It's easier for (say) 5 people to define and understand what they are looking for rather than 100 alums spread across the globe.

However, the general rule still goes. If you can interview in person, go for it. Otherwise, don't kill yourself for having to choose a telephonic interview as a fallback option. Better than not getting an interview call at all, right?

@Coolmayank : Sorry if i failed to make myself clear. Face to face interviews are the best. But my impression of question was travelling to America to have an interview. It was in that respect that i framed my answer.
If you are living in Pune and you cannot travel to Mumbai to give an Alum interview, that obviously will hurt your chances. But if you are living in say Burma. Chances of Alum being present there are low. Hence a telephonic interview wont go against you.
But in India i guess most of schools would have Alumns or travelling current students to take interviews.

Hi Mayank and Martian,
Thank you for your insights. I will surely make an extra effort to meet adcoms of Business Schools i want to apply to now on. I am planning to attend the QS World MBA tour in Delhi on July, 11. What would be the best way to maximize the value of attending such an event in your opinion?

By the way, belated congrats to Mayank on your admit to inarguably the most famous Business School in the cosmos 😃

Thanks. Well, I am IN US and the B school is at Hyderabad. The trouble is that they do not have any interview locations in US, so that only way I can appear face to face is if I do it in Hyderabad (or other Indian location).

CoolMayank - Did you travel to US for your interview?