Teaching methodology: 100% Case study method or a mix

Hi, I am now at a stage where I start thinking about selecting business schools to apply to. One of the many criteria that I am looking at is the teaching methodology. Specifically, 100% case study based or a mix of theory, class room teachin…

Hi,

I am now at a stage where I start thinking about selecting business schools to apply to. One of the many criteria that I am looking at is the teaching methodology. Specifically, 100% case study based or a mix of theory, class room teaching and case studies: What do you guys think are the positives and negatives?

HBS has always been a dream for me. Now that I am thinking about it, I am almost at a stage where I do not want want to apply there because of the case study based approach. B school grads tell me (non-HBS) that how it works is that you study the topics being addressed in the case study yourself or in your group, prepare the case and then in the class discuss the case with the professor. If you are not prepared for the case, going to the class is almost useless. I am not sure if I think I would like to do my MBA like this. I do not think I want to 'study alone' and then just discuss the case in the class. Then MBA would be nothing but cases! I know I can study alone and in study groups, but I think an approach where there is a robust mix of class room teaching and case studies (like Kellogg, Columbia etc) would be more suitable for me.

Therefore, the question I want to raise in this post are the following: What do you guys think about the 2 approaches. It might be that I have an incomplete understanding of the scenario, so it would be great if experienced members can throw in some light and insights.

Thanks!

Teaching methodologies can take up various methods like cases, text, projects, seminars ets. You will benefit from cases if you have at least 2-3 years of work-ex., it helps you to relate the case to your domain skills plus your job experience. For a fresher, cases do not help much, as the saying goes- putting the donkey before the cart!

Good B-Schools try to use a mix of cases & theory. Then there are fields like marketing which may benefit from a majority of case study, rather than text, I assume you can read Philip Kotler yourself. Here again, work-ex in mkts/sales benefits you a lot. Another perspective is that a proffie with some work-ex. behind him may relate the text to some of his field experiences in his domain. So a mix of both in some ratio would ideally make a good learning experience.

Thanks for the reply Scorpio_19.

So if I understand you correctly, you think it surely makes sense to have an approach that combines the various methodologies, rather than just focus on one, say case, like HBS. Is that it?

I have 4 yrs of work experience already, and am not looking at applying this year, so will have 6 when I go. I am only looking at applying to 3-4 top places, and hence am slightly concerned of dropping HBS from the list.

Whats ur background?

Can you put some light on NYU Stern as well?

Kellogg: Best school on the face of mother earth for a career in Marketing...Toooooo strong for a career in General Management. Mix of case and theory based..so can be a dual type gain.

Hope that helps...do post if u want to know anything in detail about any particular US Top 20 b school.
Very pertinent question indeed. I believe that you are on the correct path while researching for graduate studies.

When I got selected for my MBA, the only question that really bugged me was the fact that the teaching methodology was based on case studies. People generally get the impression that case studies method is all the more fun and less rigorous as compared to the general class room method we Indians are familiar with. However, the fact of the matter is case study method is the most difficult of all the methods (my view basis my research, opinions may and will differ). Mainly because a) you need to understand the case thoroughly before hand, which means u need to understand all the aspects involved b) u need to be extremely active in the classroom.
The only misconception, if I may say so, that you have is case study method is more of 'study alone' type method...on the contrary its too much interaction type, because thats the only way you get to know the view of ur peers.

Since I have had a stint as a consultant, I knew that even if I dont really like the method, I can manage quite well. Hence the momentary dilemma was done with.
However, if you really feel that you are not comfortable with the method, I would suggest you short list schools basis ur preferences. B school experience, specially in the US, is an extremely enriching one only if you can enjoy the classes and be an active part of your classroom, ur groups and otherwise. Else, it can be quite a dissapointment.

I dont have any clue about your career interests, hence I will suggest, generally, that Wharton and Chicago are the best places on the face of mother earth to enjoy the theory kinda Indian experience.

General comments:

Wharton...need I say anything!

Chicago...offers flexible curriculum, hence if u r certain of the career path u want to pursue and have some background in a related field..Chicago is heaven.

Columbia...great school, offers fixed curriculum, hence if you are not certain of the courses u should take in order to maximize ur career objectives, the place to be!
Toooooo strong for a career in Investment management...

Kellogg: Best school on the face of mother earth for a career in Marketing...Toooooo strong for a career in General Management. Mix of case and theory based..so can be a dual type gain.

Hope that helps...do post if u want to know anything in detail about any particular US Top 20 b school.

Hey Mayank, Thanks for the reply. Insightful indeed!

I think I need some clarification here. When you say that case study is the most interactive methodology as you need to work with your peer group/study group, right? Now, lets take an example. There is a case which requires valuation (I dont know if that can really happen, but lets assume). I have absolutely no experience in corporate finance. Would I be expected to learn the basics from my study group and then apply them to the case, or when the case is being discussed in the class, the professor is going to 'teach' the basics, or both?

If it is the first one, then it really gets tricky for me to think about HBS.

What is your profile? Are you at HBS? Which consulting firm were you working for?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks for sharing your view Mayank.
Sorry about drifting away from the actual topic. Based on your research which other schools in top 20 are equally good at both finance and consulting?

Also as far as I have heard if you intend to get into Management Consulting/Strategy Consulting it is advisable to take maximum courses which are case based teaching. Is there some parallel for finance? Which method is better for finance? Case based? mix of case and lectures?

Take my comments with a pinch of salt as I was dinged without interview at NYU. So, I dont exactly have the authority to comment.

The method is mix, as in any finance intensive school.

However, with the current crisis and its evident effects in the future on the finance industry, NYU is sure to take a huge hit as the biggest reason why NYU is in the elite list is because of its proximity to Wall Street.
I am yet to start my classes, so I will just share what I know basis peer chats.

Yes, you are supposed to learn the basic concepts by yourself (the precise reason why I believe case study methos is the toughest). But this should not be a cause of worry because u should set ur mindset right...THE TWO YEARS OF UR MBA WILL MEAN MAX 4-5 HOURS OF SLEEP!

However, the Profs are cool and are buddies! Moreover, if you dont know valuation (your example)...don't worry, chances that the person sitting next to you is an ex - Goldman or ex - Warburg are extremely high. MBA culture is all about helping. Though I will admit that in Harvard the helping culture is mainly restricted to the class mates/alums..somewhat snobbish culture:grin:.

So, I suggest that drop HBS from ur list if you are not comfortable with the teaching method itself and believe that you wont gain much. However, if you are ready to work really hard (something expected in any MBA Program), you should not worry about learning newer concepts that may be lollies for ur peers. Keep in mind that you are in at HBS only if you have something which no one else has.

To answer ur second query.
I am HBS Class of 2011. ex-BCG consultant.
Strong ecs..otherwise a very normal profile.

Hope that helps.

Hey man

Congratulations on the admit. I guess I will drop HBS from my list, as I really do not want to study myself. I dont think I can do that very effectively. I am a consultant too, so its not as though I cannot work effectively with cases. I just think that I somehow have developed a mental block against studying on your own, and hence HBS (mainly a function of my past experiences and others' perspectives that I have been hearing).

BCG, eh? Which office? Plans to come back to BCG/Consulting?

hello mate..

while discussing on the teaching methodology.. just wanted to share my views on it and check if there are any takers..

I intend to taken an one year or max a 15months MBA (so US schools ruled out.. ).. and mine is a career switch case ( IT to finance).. So I want to maximize what I learn in this one or one and half year.. so looking for a school which involve some theory based teaching approach as well.. I see IESE as one such option.. any other suggestions ? or comments on this view ?

hello mate..

while discussing on the teaching methodology.. just wanted to share my views on it and check if there are any takers..

I intend to taken an one year or max a 15months MBA (so US schools ruled out.. ).. and mine is a career switch case ( IT to finance).. So I want to maximize what I learn in this one or one and half year.. so looking for a school which involve some theory based teaching approach as well.. I see IESE as one such option.. any other suggestions ? or comments on this view ?

Not to rain on the parade, but if you want to switch your career, you really should think about a 2 year program. Its very difficult to switch careers in the current economic climate. A 2 year program probably more favorable - e.g. via internships, etc....