TAPMI GD/PI experiences 2008

This thread has been started so that the candidates can post their GD/PI experiences…this wud be helpful to others as well so every1 shd contribute…ATB!!!

This thread has been started so that the candidates can post their GD/PI experiences...this wud be helpful to others as well so every1 shd contribute..ATB!!!

plz go thru the link for the previous yr 2 get an idea abt the entire process

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/tapmi-gd-pi-experiences-2007-25021222

Hi All,

Is there anybody here who has gone thru the process for this year's GD PI process. If yes, can some1 share it.

Thanks,
RajGup

Hi All,

Is there anybody here who has gone thru the process for this year's GD PI process. If yes, can some1 share it.

Thanks,
RajGup

puys plz share experience..that would be of great use as i guess it is the last gd/pi among all the good colleges..:bomb::bomb:

Puys,

Please try and relax...

The process has just started today..

as it is, only a handful few will get to complete the Director's interview today. Give the aspirants some time....I think the experiences will start pouring tomorrow onwards.

chao

hi puys , i had my tapmi process today . So here goes my experience :

Before actually posting the details , here is my profile in brief :

10th - 87.6 % (SSC)
12th - 92.33 % (HSC)
B.E - 65.9 % (Pune University)
Work Ex - 18 Months with Infy
Extra Curriculars - decent , played football , won awards .

CAT score : 89.91 %ile (80+ in all sections)

I arrived at manipal on 11th to be on the safer side (always better to arrive earlier) . Got to check out manipal - really small place but beautiful in its own way . You will find only students here - so the place is vibrant and happening

Anyways , coming to the TAPMI GD/PI process :

the first thing you do when you reach the TAPMI campus (try and come earlier say by 8 AM) is to check your panel number , the room for the briefing , the gd and pi by entering your tapmi reg no in one of the numerous computer systems provided at the venue . the software will display the details when you type in your reg no .

After this , at 8.30 AM sharp is the briefing process where they tell you about the different stages in the process , TAPMI's new campus and they will also answer any queries about the institute (one guy asked them about the placement records - for god's sake read the details on the site and the prospectus - it shows a lack of homework on the aspirant's part to ask such questions whose answers are obtained from the site where all info is provided)

after this depending on your panel (we had six - around 20 in each) , you head to the respective rooms for the first stage : GD , Written Summary and Extempore .

you have to sign an attendance sheet they give you ...

they make you sit in a rectangle / circle depending on the sorted list acc to reg no .

our topic was "Is the auctioning of cricketers under the IPL format good for the game ?"

you can imagine how the GD was with a topic like this and 20 people
ABSOLUTE FISH MARKET - people screaming their lungs off and 5-6 people talking at a time i was watching amused as i hardly got a chance to speak - i was trying to tell the group to speak one at a time but to no avail .. a few guys dominated with their loud voice and shouting but i decided to remain a listener and contributed once or twice and sometimes with approval for a few points ... i felt i could not raise my voice and participate in this fish market - even that word is too small for the kind of situation we were in ... also a lot of irrelevant points were made and we digressed from the topic at hand ... also one candidate kept harping about how manoj tiwary got auctioned for a bigger price than ricky ponting and how it is unfair ... the group even failed to conclude or summarise the GD - not a surprise given the way some of these candidates behaved and did not let anyone speak ... anyways i won't blame them - they thought that is the right way to impress the panel but i differ ... the GD time alloted is 30 mins by the way ...

enough said about GD , this was followed by a written summary (you get around 10 mins)
i wrote a decent summary of around 200 words (max limit 250)

after this we had an impromptu speech or extempore (you get 2 mins to think and 2 to speak) .. this is one way you can impress the panel with a good speech if you did not have a great GD .. one point i would like to make here - you have to open your chit and read the topics when the guy next to you starts speaking (so that you get just 2 mins to read your two topics , choose one and think over it before you start) .. but i witnessed quite a few opening the chit and reading the topic well before this and gaining an unfair advantage of more time to think and prepare .. now i know you don't get gandhis in today's world but then i feel stupid for not doing the same and following ethics this i felt is blatant cheating but everyone does it to gain an upper hand .. especially when at stake is a seat at TAPMI ...

my topics were :
1. nothing is interesting if you are not interested .
2. pain is temporary , victory is permanent .

now the second one might seem easier but i don't know what made me choose the first one . i said a few points , rambled on and wasn't really very fluent . there was a lack of ideas and i did not much have to say so spoke for around 1.5 mins ..

the others had topics like genius needs some amount of madness , democracy , ant getting squashed between two elephants , etc - don't remember much actually ...

after this your group splits into two - one has panel interviews till lunch and the other after lunch at 2 PM . i was in the 2nd slot and number 2 in that ...

also before you leave for your interviews , you submit the xerox of the following documents : 10th , 12th , graduation marksheets and certs , work ex proof , reference letter , cat score card (get a xerox of this) .. also the guys who filled up the form online submit a photo .. all these are then attached to your tapmi form and the panel can see these during the interview for reference ...

so there was a long break in between from 10.30 till 2 .. went to manipal university foodcourt near tiger circle for lunch with some fellow candidates who i became friends with .. nice place , good crowd , good food .. was frustrated with the whole thing in the GD so was cursing about the TAPMI process to vivek a.k.a the egonomist- a fellow puy ... chilled till 1.15 and headed back to TAPMI campus ...

i am tired now so will post my PI and director's interview (last stage in the process) experience later .. and that will be lengthy too

gotta crash now .. later .. peace .. ciao ...

we are eagerly waiting for your pi process8-)....keep it as long as possible.:wink:..that way it help us to understand the whole process:wink:...thanks in advance........:grin:

ok so here goes my interview experience as well :

there are 2 interviews : panel and director's ... if you are lucky like me you will have the director's interview the same day (mine was at 5.30 in the evening) .. else it will be held the next day in the morning ...

my panel had 3 profs - one of them was Mr Satyajit Majumdar , don't know the others ..

Me : May I come in ?
Panel (P) : Please do ...
Me : good afternoon sirs
P :good afternoon , please sit ...
P : so Anvesh , tell us something about yourself (typical ice breaker this)
Me : blah blah blah ...
P : why did you not speak much in the GD ?
Me : I told them how the GD was a fish market and raising my voice and shouting is not in my blood .. also i preferred being a listener instead of getting involved in that scenario where the discussion had become aggressive ...
P : But you could have tried to direct the group to a calm discussion
Me : told them how i repeatedly asked the group to speak one at a time and give everyone a chance to speak but how it was futile ...
P : what if this happens at your workplace in a meeting , would you remain silent ?
Me : Sir i would definitely try and put forth my points and mentioned how being assertive is important but not aggressive ...
P : which coaching class did you go to
Me : I said I went for IMS Simcats on weekends and for GD/PI - attended a CF workshop
P : so what did they tell you on what to do in a similar situation ?
Me Sir i did what i think was right since anyways i would not have been heard in the commotion in the GD given the situation ...
P : So anvesh why a drop in your marks during graduation (glancing at my marksheets)
Me : Sir actually scoring high in Pune University is tough since 66% there is equal to a distinction
P (smiling) : everyone from Pune University says that ...
Me : yes sir i agree that my marks are not great but they are above average for sure , although they could have been better ...
P : yes thats important - they could have been better (be honest they appreciate it)
P : ask me about my work profile at infy , my role there
Me : tell them about my job and the work i do in detail
P : So there wasn't any scope for innovation at your workplace ...
Me : explained to them how in service oriented job , servicing client's needs and wants and satisfying the client is important but at the same time gave examples of innovation used at the workplace to achieve higher efficiency and productivity by saving time and effort ...
P : So why an MBA now and how engg background will help ?
Me : blah blah .. spoke about inclination towards marketing ... told them how engg background always helps with technical skills being an asset and maths grounding being solid ...
P : yes maths is important , you will need to be good at maths and stats ...
Me : yes I realise that ...
P : lets say you join infosys after your mba , what will be the difference in what you do now and then ?
Me : explained ...
P : So are you a loner or team player
Me : said I am definitely a team player and supported my statement with explanations ...
P : tell me about what you learnt in engg and also about how football makes you a team player (had mentioned football as one of my interests in extra-curriculars in the form)
Me : blah blah ... football is my passion , spoke at length about it i also told them how my engg studies , subjects studied etc
P : you said you liked derivatives in maths in your engineering (i actually said this when asked how engineering helped and which subjects i liked )
we have this sum for you . y = (x-2)^2 (3x-2)
find its derivative for us
Me : solved and told them ( used the rule y=uv , dy/dx = u(dv/dx) + v(du/dx) )
P : ok good , now tell me at what value will maxima and minima occur ?
Me : told (solved by equating dy/dx = 0)
P : ok find d^2y/dx^2 i.e second derivative - told them ...
at this stage discussion entered slope of function , what is exactly dy/dx and second derivative used for .. i told them something but also said it has been 3 years since i studied this and it is not fresh in my memory ... they smiled and said its ok ...
P : ok , do you have any questions for us ?
Me : asked them about the new campus and hostel there ...
P : thanks Anvesh , you may go ...
Me : thats it ...
P : yes
Me : thank you ... made an exit ...

now director's interview : before director's interview you need to write a short SOP about where you see yourself 5 years after an MBA ...
the director's interview is a short affair - fairly simple and straight forward ... very relaxed .. he is smiling and laughing .. there is also one more person with him - a senior prof i think .. they said i was 5th person from infosys today for GD/PI and they joked saying how they get so many people from TCS , Infy and Wipro .. I smiled .. asked me why MBA when i have a good Job etc .. i answered confidently and convinced them ... they asked me whether i am a proper puneite - i told them i am ... asked about cat score .. explained to them why score was low ...also they said they liked they way i had dressed - a perfect shirt and tie combination and how my turnout was impressive :smile:
i said thank you .. they said thank you , you may leave now .. end of tapmi process

it was a long tiring day with so many stages in the selection procedure ... also the humidity and the heat in manipal at this time of the year gets to you i think ... i was sweating profusely and that tie made me even more uncomfortable .. but still i saw a few people wearing blazers and suits .. funny ...

i felt my interviews were fairly good and were much , much better than the shambolic GD ...
but only time will tell whether i make the cut or not ...

all the best to the fellow puys - do well !

Cheers ,

PS : if possible try and go to malpe beach near manipal - 20 kms distance , costs around 100 Rs by auto , there are buses as well - they are cheaper i suppose ... white sand , nice beach .. i went there and had a couple of beers in the resort opposite as well

one important update i forgot to mention :

during the briefing , they mentioned that from this batch onwards in 2008 , TAPMI moves to a new modern campus ... the student intake will be 180 from this year onwards instead of 120 ... so increase of 60 seats ...

Also there is an upward revision in the fees :

for this new batch in 2008 , the fees will be as below :

Academic - Tuition Fees : 6.4 Lacs for 2 years
Hostel Fees : 1.1 Lacs for 2 years (double sharing rooms)
Total - 7.5 Lacs for 2 years with option of paying in installments .

With laptop and other costs , I see the fees to be in excess of 8 lacs for 2 years ...

ppl...please someone mention the limits(both time and words) of the 'small' SOP we are supposed to write befor the director interview!

thnx 😃

see i don't know about the limits for both time and words , but you are given a sheet of paper on which you write on one side ... so lets say around 100 words or so .. keep it short and try and show your clarity of thought ... around 10 mins would suffice for this ...

ppl...please someone mention the limits(both time and words) of the 'small' SOP we are supposed to write befor the director interview!

thnx :)

during the briefing , they mentioned that from this batch onwards in 2008 , TAPMI moves to a new modern campus ... the student intake will be 180 from this year onwards instead of 120 ... so increase of 60 seats ...

With laptop and other costs , I see the fees to be in excess of 8 lacs for 2 years ...

best of luck..hp u make it..thanks for sharng al the info...Boy..8 lacs!!! guess aftr ICfai, it shud rank as the highest!!!

new campus... increased intake... good placements... good location... guess it shud b worth 8lacs....

anyways... thanx for the posts yaar...

waiting for more to come....!!!

So, it isn't guaranteed that the process will be complete in one day , is it ?
Can we request the authorities to get it done in case we have to return on the same day ?

Regards.

mysticwind8 Says
puys plz share experience..that would be of great use as i guess it is the last gd/pi among all the good colleges..:bomb::bomb:

no sir...MDI is still remaining...and the interviews will go as lon as 1st April....and undoubtedly...it is the baap of all colleges.....

is the new campus ready???... i think i saw on their website that just the bhoomi puja was done this month...

Hi,

so 20 people GD hah?....
they could have made it a lil bit easier...call all 120 people to an auditorium and conduct the GD...

anyways any idea about the split/weightage of scores..ie workex CAT etc???....

Hi..
Though seems a wrong place to ask..but still which college wud u puys rank higher..ICFAI hyd Finance or TAPMI..
also considering the fact that they are equally expensive(as i have already paid 80k for ICFAI..so overall tapmi wud cost me 80K higher)

wat wud u guys suggest..plz pour in some suggestion..
cheers!!
Amit..

midnite_blues Says
is the new campus ready???... i think i saw on their website that just the bhoomi puja was done this month...

well, i asked the Interviewers about the new campus at the end of my PI and they said that they are very hopeful that the new batch 2008-10 would be able to jopin in the new campus.one of the colleagues visited the new campus which is about 4.5 kms from the old one adn said that it is located at a very beautiful site.