TAPMI Admissions 2011-13 Queries & Discussions

Hi Puys, *TAPMI *has released its admission brochure for the 2011-13 batch. (Please refer to the attachment). This thread is dedicated for all your queries regarding TAPMI. We’ll begin this thread by answering some of the basic queries th…

Hi Puys,

TAPMI has released its admission brochure for the 2011-13 batch. (Please refer to the attachment). This thread is dedicated for all your queries regarding TAPMI. We'll begin this thread by answering some of the basic queries that you might be having:

1. How do I get into TAPMI?
    1. TAPMI accepts CAT and GMAT scores. Last year, the cut-offs were 86 percentile for CAT and 680 for GMAT.

1. What are the courses offered at TAPMI?
    1. From 2010, TAPMI is offering 2 AICTE approved programmes in Management.
      1. Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) - This is the flagship program of TAPMI, with an intake of 180 seats.
      2. Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Healthcare Management) - PGDM (HCM) - This is the new course that TAPMI has started, with an intake of 60 seats.

Both these courses are fully residential.

1. Are there any sectional cutoffs for getting shortlisted to the next round?
    1. There are no clear-cut sectional cutoffs; however, a decent performance across all the sections in expected to get a call for the second round

1. Where is the interview process held?
    1. Till 2009, the selection process for the shortlisted candidates was held only in Manipal. However, from 2010, the selection process is conducted in different cities like Bangalore, Mumbai and Kolkata, in addition to Manipal.

1. Is there a group discussion before the personal interview?
    1. No. From 2010, The TAPMI admission process has done away with the Group Discussions. Instead, each candidate is supposed to do a Case Analysis for a fixed time (approx 15 mins), as this brings out the analytical skills of the candidates better.

The Case Analysis is NOT an elimination round, and all candidates will be eligible for the interview process.

1. How many interviews will be held after the case analysis?
    1. There will be 2 rounds of interviews:
      1. The first interview will be held by faculty members. This also includes an Extempore of 2 minutes. A chit containing a topic will be given, followed by a minute to think and organize your thoughts.
      2. The second interview is conducted by the director, soon after the first one

1. What kind of questions will be asked in the interviews?
    1. Questions can be asked from your graduation subjects, general awareness, your career goals, about why you want to do an MBA, etc. So be well-prepared!

You can also go through my interview experience HERE.
  1. What is the fee structure followed at TAPMI?
    1. The current academic fee payable for all the PGDM programmes is Rs. 8,25,000. This includes the course material and other academic resources. Hostel fee is around Rs. 1,46,000 for 2 years. The monthly food bill comes up to approximately Rs. 2,500.

2. How easily will I get a student loan to fund my education at TAPMI?
    1. TAPMI is one of the Premier B-schools in India, and hence, getting an educational loan is not very difficult.

1. What are the different specializations I can take up in TAPMI?
    1. At TAPMI, you can specialize in the fields of Marketing, Finance, HR, Operations or Systems. You can choose from a basket of electives in the second year, across different specializations.

1. Do I have to choose my specialization in the first year itself?
    1. No. You can choose your specialization in the second year, based on your interests. The first year will be common for all.

1. How are the placements at TAPMI?
    1. TAPMI has seen 100% placement right from its inception. The placement season for the 2010 batch saw regular recruiters like Infosys, Cognizant, Wipro, ICICI, TVS Group, UB Group, Citi Group, Idea Cellular and Titan, coming to campus and recruiting students. The highest package offered was Rs. 9.35 lakhs, and the median was around Rs. 7 lakhs.

The final placements for the 2011 batch will be held in December.

Request you to analyse my profile. Is TAPMI in my reach?

Gmat - 640 (Q - 49, V - 27, AWA - 5)

I am an Indian Male and by Dec 2010 I will have a total experience of 51 Months in IT industry.

Work Experience - My experience includes 9 Months of international experience(Saudi Arabia) . Type of work is software development, technology consulting centered at business i.e. IT strategy, IT transformation etc.

Current Employer: 3 i Infotech
Previous Employer: TATA Consultancy Services

Undergrad Grad - Bachelor of Engineering ( Electronic and Communication) with 72.9% (3.65 GPA).

Work Achievements:
1. Got GREAT TEAM CARD from Client for an extremely successful release of Targets First Grocery Distribution Center. This complete application was designed and developed and tested by me and my Project Lead.
2. Continuously Rated 4 in my organization (Rating 4 can be given only to maximum of 20% top performers in the team).
3. I Completed IBM DB2 UDB 700 certifications with 98 percent.
4. I Completed IBM NCFM certification with 94 percent.
5. Rated as High Performer by HR Team in Chennai.
6. In third yr of my career I trained 4 individuals for a period of 8 months.

At work Place:
1. I was one of the most active participants of PATHSHALA initiative An initiative of TCS Chennai to educate poor children.
2. I was among the organizers of RTSC studio - A platform to share movies with associates.
3. I was the Lead of Canteen Committee.
4. I am active member of MAITREE This is Part of TCS dedicated to CSR Activities.

Other than work Achievements:
Worked for a Network marketing with a thought of utilizing my weekends, created a team of Size 300 and earned a considerable amount of money.

Extra curricular activities - Active during school participated in various debate and extempore competitions and won prizes. Part of 2-3 clubs and organized multiple events in my organisation.

Aspiring to move towards business development. Would like to pursue MBA in Marketing.

Request you to analyse my profile. Is TAPMI in my reach?

Gmat - 640 (Q - 49, V - 27, AWA - 5)

I am an Indian Male and by Dec 2010 I will have a total experience of 51 Months in IT industry.

Work Experience - My experience includes 9 Months of international experience(Saudi Arabia) . Type of work is software development, technology consulting centered at business i.e. IT strategy, IT transformation etc.

Ashut2707,

You seem to have a pretty good profile. I would suggest you to apply for TAPMI, as you have a decent chance of getting shortlisted for the next round. However, your final admission will depend on your performance in the selection process, in addition to different parameters like your work-ex and extra-curricular activities, since TAPMI is looking for people from diverse backgrounds.

Hi
Academically i got 78% in 10th CBSE, 65% in 12th CBSE and 75% in Graduation. and lot of extra-curricular activities which includes even some TV Shows, if i clear the cut-off,will my profile will have any impact being just a normal guy with no Experience. My ambition s to start up own Business,infact i started it. is it necessary to tell this in interview or some B-School Admission rounds or its just a cherry on cake & they will consider as fake.

Hello Nikhil, This is a great initiative from your team to help TAPMI aspirants.

I have a net work ex of 20 months and a GMAT score of 730 and am looking forward to apply to TAPMI. I am actually in a short break between two jobs and am joining my new employer on the 1st of Nov. I am eager to apply now to avail the app fee discount but would like to know if my present employment status will act against my chances for clearing the first round. Or are there provisions to edit my application/notify the admissions team of my employment status once I join my new job?

Hi
Academically i got 78% in 10th CBSE, 65% in 12th CBSE and 75% in Graduation. and lot of extra-curricular activities which includes even some TV Shows, if i clear the cut-off,will my profile will have any impact being just a normal guy with no Experience. My ambition s to start up own Business,infact i started it. is it necessary to tell this in interview or some B-School Admission rounds or its just a cherry on cake & they will consider as fake.

Hi
As far as work-ex goes, we have freshers in the college.So i don't think that could hinder your chances of getting a call.
Regarding your Business,u can mention it if u intend to do MBA for expanding your business.But be prepared for a few questions on your venture.

ALL THE BEST
Hi

Hi firezone918,
It is good that you are clear about what you want to do already. As long as you are able to convince the interviewers how serious you are about your long-term goal, and express the clarity that you have with respect to what you want to do and how an MBA degree will help you achieve that, you should be able to do well in the interview.
Hello Nikhil, This is a great initiative from your team to help TAPMI aspirants.

I have a net work ex of 20 months and a GMAT score of 730 and am looking forward to apply to TAPMI. I am actually in a short break between two jobs and am joining my new employer on the 1st of Nov. I am eager to apply now to avail the app fee discount but would like to know if my present employment status will act against my chances for clearing the first round. Or are there provisions to edit my application/notify the admissions team of my employment status once I join my new job?

Sharan,
You already have 20 months of work-ex, so you don't have to worry about that! Once you are shortlisted for the interview, you can always tell the interviewer that you had moved on to a new job in the interim, stating the reasons for the change in your employment status.

Why has TAPMI lowered its cut-offs last year(approx. 86%ile)? Has it started giving more importance to profiles rather than cat scores? I got 89.34%ile last time around as a fresher and my casestudyπ were pretty decent but couldnot manage a call.

rohit_rocks Says
Why has TAPMI lowered its cut-offs last year(approx. 86%ile)? Has it started giving more importance to profiles rather than cat scores? I got 89.34%ile last time around as a fresher and my gdπ were pretty decent but couldnot manage a call.

Hi Rohit,
Yes, TAPMI is giving a lot more importance to the students' profiles from last year, instead of giving total weightage to the CAT scores alone. This is why the cutoffs were lowered since last year, to enhance the profile diversification of the batch.
To answer your question of not getting selected last year, it could be due to various reasons. I myself have been part of GDPI's where I did extremely well, but could not convert the calls. There are many parameters which the interviewers assess while giving the final call. Keep putting your efforts, and I'm sure you will be able to give a good performance this time as well! :)

I have just 51 % in my grad.(correspondence) ... SADLY :|

but i am getting scores in the vicinity of 92 in mocks regularly (two times 99)

should i apply ? i am very concerned cause my grad. % puts me down :shocked: !

What Should i do guys ?

Hi Rohit,
Yes, TAPMI is giving a lot more importance to the students' profiles from last year, instead of giving total weightage to the CAT scores alone. This is why the cutoffs were lowered since last year, to enhance the profile diversification of the batch.
To answer your question of not getting selected last year, it could be due to various reasons. I myself have been part of GDPI's where I did extremely well, but could not convert the calls. There are many parameters which the interviewers assess while giving the final call. Keep putting your efforts, and I'm sure you will be able to give a good performance this time as well! :)

yeah..got to take some moments with a pinch of salt. Geared up for this time and luking to nail down some good colleges... Thanks for ur words. BTW, what is the last date for applying ?
Hi

Be very careful about saying your own business thing. I have seen some people getting into trouble because of this. If you don't have some big figures to show, well and good. But a garage startup can be dangerous for interviews.
Trust me, they would recommend you to go for MBA in Family business or MBA in Entrepreneurship. They would tell you to keep pursuing business as you can hire managers... Be ready with solid answers.

Hi,

Seeing the posts in this threads, I want to enquire if TAPMI is giving solely profile-based calls?I mean is the process like SP, where there will be 2 lists-profile based list and merit list??

Thanks & Regards,
Divya

I have just 51 % in my grad.(correspondence) ... SADLY :|

but i am getting scores in the vicinity of 92 in mocks regularly (two times 99)

should i apply ? i am very concerned cause my grad. % puts me down :shocked: !

What Should i do guys ?

Hi
As far as your graduation marks are concerned,it is not the only criteria for selection as it also depends on your gd-pi performance.If you could justify your marks with a proper reasoning,you could as well get through.
Hence i suggest you apply for TAPMI and see how it goes.
Most importantly,stop worrying and concentrate on your CAT.

ALL THE BEST
Hi,

Seeing the posts in this threads, I want to enquire if TAPMI is giving solely profile-based calls?I mean is the process like SP, where there will be 2 lists-profile based list and merit list??

Thanks & Regards,
Divya

Hi
Tapmi is not going to bring out a separate list.We will have a common list based on CAT.But profiles will be given importance as well.