tablet inplace of laptop

weird question: you folks think we can make do with a tablet instead of a laptop for a MBA? any experiences?

weird question: you folks think we can make do with a tablet instead of a laptop for a MBA? any experiences?

simplyaha Says

Good question. You need to see which tablet comes closest to a lappy in functionality. Basically, you'll need MS Office (Excel/Word/PPoint). Tabs mostly have an android OS, with Quick Office, with the exception of Ipad & Blackberry playtab, which have their own propriety OS. Office documents should have the editable function, not only a viewer. Then, you may also need to print a document, see if you can attach tab with a printer, I'm doubtful about this one. Some B-schoolers are heavy gamers, here you'll need a lappy with a good graphics card. For plain music & movies, a tab should suffice, depending on the free time you can spare from a hectic schedule.
Scorpio_19 Says
Good question. You need to see which tablet comes closest to a lappy in functionality. Basically, you'll need MS Office (Excel/Word/PPoint). Tabs mostly have an android OS, with Quick Office, with the exception of Ipad & Blackberry playtab, which have their own propriety OS. Office documents should have the editable function, not only a viewer. Then, you may also need to print a document, see if you can attach tab with a printer, I'm doubtful about this one. Some B-schoolers are heavy gamers, here you'll need a lappy with a good graphics card. For plain music & movies, a tab should suffice, depending on the free time you can spare from a hectic schedule.

i think the only problem would be document editing and printing like you pointed out... android does have apps for doc editing but i am not very sure how much useful they would prove for serious work... plus it would also need some getting used too...

as far as gaming goes i think we can find a lot of decent apps to play around with 😃
i think the only problem would be document editing and printing like you pointed out... android does have apps for doc editing but i am not very sure how much useful they would prove for serious work... plus it would also need some getting used too...

as far as gaming goes i think we can find a lot of decent apps to play around with :)

Microsoft is working on a MS Office version for tabs, but that will take 18 months. Till then my 10" netbook should suffice. I won't invest in a tab right now, since fast research developments are taking place in the tab market. I could consider the Dell Streak 5" tab for the only reason that it fits into my trouser pocket, & is good while on the move. 7" & above are difficult to place in a coat pocket, & we don't wear uniforms in all b-schools all year round.
Scorpio_19 Says
Microsoft is working on a MS Office version for tabs, but that will take 18 months. Till then my 10" netbook should suffice. I won't invest in a tab right now, since fast research developments are taking place in the tab market. I could consider the Dell Streak 5" tab for the only reason that it fits into my trouser pocket, & is good while on the move. 7" & above are difficult to place in a coat pocket, & we don't wear uniforms in all b-schools all year round.

i get your point... guess 10 inch netbooks are a better option as of now...

I think tablets would do considering only study 😉 & It really look cool.

1)some tablets are coming with wireless keybord support i think that will ease typing

2)I never use android so cant comment but windows tablets are there but u shud wait for Windows OS optimized for touch (Windows 7 not made for touch)

3)much more portable and power saving ;)

4)MS office wont be a issue i think

But really good tablets are costly

For people like myself gaming is very important (Not games like Angry Birds;)) so i will prefer grahics card integrated lappy

but otherwise for browsing ,office & some entertainment Tablet is good option