Switching from Technical to Marketing field

Hi, My name is Vikas. I am currently working as a senior software engineer in an embedded systems company in India. I have 4+ years of experience in my work. I am more passionate about getting into marketing profession. My heart and mind, bot…

Hi,

My name is Vikas. I am currently working as a senior software engineer in an embedded systems company in India. I have 4+ years of experience in my work. I am more passionate about getting into marketing profession. My heart and mind, both are asking me to get into marketing. So, I was thinking of taking up my GMAT exams and do an MBA. But, by the time I finish my MBA and start working I will be 28 years old. Starting my career as a fresher in marketing at the age of 28 would be a good idea ? Will the current 4+ years of my work experience count at that time ? what should I do ? Any suggestion will help.

Buddy, first you must understand that you have 4 years of experience. Now i can understand that it pertains to only in a technical line but you enjoy certain advantages over others. You have a better view of how organization or for that matter business runs; You must have enjoyed supervisory skills at this level; you know the essence of hierarchy; you know the essence of time-lines and most finally you know the importance of discipline in a corporate life. I know the area ventured would be a bit different and you will have to work on that aspect but you will not be seen as a "Fresher". Now even when you shift to a new project or domain, you have to put efforts initially in order to familiarize yourself with the new requirements. The same would happen here. Just visualize the tremendous learning you will have when you so MBA. Your perspective of visualizing a business would broaden. It is well said that "a person learns all through his life". So why to worry. Infact, think how it will feel like when you are doing a work which matches your interests. You will never feel old in that job. Actually, i can infer when you say "I will be 28 or 29". There is a wrong perception in india towards MBA that you need to do an MBA before getting settled or getting married. It is something in which no one can help you.

You just need to have a zeal to do what interests you. Age should not be an impedance. Go and crack GMAT.

Thank You!

Buddy, first you must understand that you have 4 years of experience. Now i can understand that it pertains to only in a technical line but you enjoy certain advantages over others. You have a better view of how organization or for that matter business runs; You must have enjoyed supervisory skills at this level; you know the essence of hierarchy; you know the essence of time-lines and most finally you know the importance of discipline in a corporate life. I know the area ventured would be a bit different and you will have to work on that aspect but you will not be seen as a "Fresher". Now even when you shift to a new project or domain, you have to put efforts initially in order to familiarize yourself with the new requirements. The same would happen here. Just visualize the tremendous learning you will have when you so MBA. Your perspective of visualizing a business would broaden. It is well said that "a person learns all through his life". So why to worry. Infact, think how it will feel like when you are doing a work which matches your interests. You will never feel old in that job. Actually, i can infer when you say "I will be 28 or 29". There is a wrong perception in india towards MBA that you need to do an MBA before getting settled or getting married. It is something in which no one can help you.

You just need to have a zeal to do what interests you. Age should not be an impedance. Go and crack GMAT.

thanks to vishal too,for asking this question

bcoz i am a 2009 passing out btech.......got selected in an IT firm, appeared for cat but screwed it up.................so in all probability will be joining the comapany.......this is a doubt that has been lingering in my mind for quite some time..............that suppose if i appear for cat or gmat after 4/5 yrs work-ex,and decide to change my track to marketting or finance......wont i get labelled with a "freshers" tag then ??.............thanks a ton for answering this question........

snipped 4 some reason 😃

hiya folks,

i gotcha call from 1 of da top 10 B Skools ...!
i am IT guy , with 21 months Xperience...

Planning to shift to marketing..
reasonz being
1. To get out of IT.
2. Interest in Marketing
3. Wanna be a full time Entreprenuer...!!

Now ma question is
if asked y MBA.? Y IT to MArketing ..? wat could one answer, the above cnt be answers...

If i say i Wanna be a full time Entreprenuer...!! the panel would pose a question....Y dont u join an Entrpreneurship Insitute.?

M confused..help meee
hiya folks,

i gotcha call from 1 of da top 10 B Skools ...!
i am IT guy , with 21 months Xperience...

Planning to shift to marketing..
reasonz being
1. To get out of IT.
2. Interest in Marketing
3. Wanna be a full time Entreprenuer...!!

Now ma question is
if asked y MBA.? Y IT to MArketing ..? wat could one answer, the above cnt be answers...

If i say i Wanna be a full time Entreprenuer...!! the panel would pose a question....Y dont u join an Entrpreneurship Insitute.?

M confused..help meee

I am very catholic in my views when it comes to typing posts with SMS lingo. I think your attitude and personality are reflected by the english used in the posts.

However I am not going to allow that to stop me from responding

If I were to answer here is what I would have said:

"When I took up Engineering I was a 17 year old with little understanding and a narrow perspective of what I wanted to do with life. I went in with what my parents and peers thought were best (for me). I regret this mistake since as a software engineer though I am doing good for myself in my career I feel my innate ability and inclination lie towards marketing. Infact this was the reason I have always been in touch with this field - be it through reading books .........blah blah........... or getting involved in ........... blah blah ........ (presumption here is that since you say you have an interest you have also being doing something about it :xmas:)"

"Entrepreneurship is an eventual goal. However to reach there I want to spend some time in the industry gaining cross-functional exposure to a variety of different domains and sectors. I believe this experience will hold me in good stead and would ultimately enable me to be a better entrepreneur"

These are my thoughts. Yours could be different.

Arun