Switch from IT to Investment banking

Want to know whether it is worth switching over to investment banking after working in IT for 5 to 6 years any body any poin :: The mon ey is exciting :: any body pointers to pros and cons

Want to know whether it is worth switching over to investment banking after working in IT for 5 to 6 years any body any poin
The mon ey is exciting

any body pointers to pros and cons

Can you tell how you are planning to do that ? Perhaps, then it might be easier to comment.

I am planning to do MBA from US/Europe or MS in QuantFinance and hope for campus placement services from the University

QuantMAN Says
I am planning to do MBA from US/Europe or MS in QuantFinance and hope for campus placement services from the University

I think there are lot of people who try to move from IT to i-bank. I personally know one gentleman who has nearly 8 yrs of work-ex in IT in US and is planning a shift to finance.
I think the catch here is the b-school you choose. If you choose the right one, the shift might not be a big problem and surely the returns are as good as it can ever be !.

Im curious to know. Do such switches actually happen. Does an Indian IT techie types with 6+yrs workexp get working on the Wall Street as a trader not a research analyst ?

Arun

Im curious to know. Do such switches actually happen. Does an Indian IT techie types with 6+yrs workexp get working on the Wall Street as a trader not a research analyst ?

Arun

I agree with the Old man, I don't understand how someone with 6/8 years of IT exp can be hired as a trader or a broker on the Wall Street and not a research analyst or domain expert.

Any known examples??

---Asif

This is something I've wanted to know for a while ... don't know if this is the right thread but nevertheless

1. How do b-schools look at people who want to do an MBA for a career change?

2. Any tips on how to put the career change stuff decently in your essays?

Aditya

This is something I've wanted to know for a while ... don't know if this is the right thread but nevertheless

1. How do b-schools look at people who want to do an MBA for a career change?

2. Any tips on how to put the career change stuff decently in your essays?

Aditya

Well , may be u can try n kinda link both the careers.. Say stuff like with ur rich experience in sector A, ure sure it wud contribue a gr8 deal to sector B.. Of course it depends on your choices for Sectors A & B....