Students and alumni of HR courses-Discussions and Sharing

Hi all, I have joined TISS-HRM&LR; this year :: Many good B-Schools have started focused HR programs since the last few years…Almost all B-Schools offer HR as specialization in 2nd year This thread is for students and alumni of …

Hi all,

I have joined TISS-HRM&LR; this year

Many good B-Schools have started focused HR programs since the last few years...Almost all B-Schools offer HR as specialization in 2nd year

This thread is for students and alumni of these programs...

Let's share anything and everything that we want to share and that does NOT violate copyright laws and/or is NOT confidential

Let's make this the place to discuss current HR issues and also to address queries as and when they arise...Some points where this thread can be useful:

1) Doubts in projects/assignments
2) Summer/Final Placements
3) Information Sharing
4) HR fests and events in different B-Schools
5) HR seminars/conferences
6) Networking
7) and much more........

I request you all to contribute to the thread...Let's have enriching and fruitful discussions here

@All--PLEASE REFRAIN FROM:

1) Asking queries regarding a particular B-School
2) Comparing B-Schools
3) Asking how to prepare for a particular exam/get into a particular B-School

Please DO NOT SPAM this thread

Hi all,

I have joined TISS-HRM&LR; this year

Many good B-Schools have started focused HR programs since the last few years...Almost all B-Schools offer HR as specialization in 2nd year

This thread is for students and alumni of these programs...

Let's share anything and everything that we want to share and that does NOT violate copyright laws and/or is NOT confidential

Let's make this the place to discuss current HR issues and also to address queries as and when they arise...Some points where this thread can be useful:

1) Doubts in projects/assignments
2) Summer/Final Placements
3) Information Sharing
4) HR fests and events in different B-Schools
5) HR seminars/conferences
6) Networking
7) and much more........

I request you all to contribute to the thread...Let's have enriching and fruitful discussions here

@All--PLEASE REFRAIN FROM:

1) Asking queries regarding a particular B-School
2) Comparing B-Schools
3) Asking how to prepare for a particular exam/get into a particular B-School

Please DO NOT SPAM this thread

Nice initiative :thumbsup:

well, you could have also mentioned another discussion point
"HR Alumni cribbing/ranting generally about their companies OR looking for job change/referrals" to cater to the special needs of grey haired alumni like me" :sneaky: after all we also seek old age homes for heart soothing nirvana :biggrin:
Nice initiative :thumbsup:

well, you could have also mentioned another discussion point
"HR Alumni cribbing/ranting generally about their companies OR looking for job change/referrals" to cater to the special needs of grey haired alumni like me" :sneaky: after all we also seek old age homes for heart soothing nirvana :biggrin:

Appreciate your response sir :clap:
Was actually expecting the very first response from you looking at your contributions to the "Why HR" thread

Do keep enlightening people like me who are taking their baby steps in the world of HR...We will try and cater to your special needs

Do consultant firms recruit HR students? If yes, which are those firms? Names would help! :)

I am presently pursing my PGDM from T A Pai Management Institute, Manipal, Karnataka. Here, in the second year, we can choose subjects across specializations. I have made up my mind on HR, and would like to take subjects from another specialization - making my degree more general in nature, and also because I think that it would give me a better idea of the processes involved in the arena of business. I am a B.Tech in Civil Engineering from NIT,Silchar. I passed out last year and worked in Shapoorji Pallonji for 8 months as a Graduate Engineer Trainee. Though it might be too early to decide/ask, I would like to know that which other specialization (read subjects from specialization) would help someone like me wanting to work in the HR domain. Please keep my background in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Amartya

amartyadey Says
Do consultant firms recruit HR students? If yes, which are those firms? Names would help! :)

Hewitt, Mercer, Hay, E&Y;, PwC, KPMG, Delloite, Accenture Management Consulting

amartyadey Says
Though it might be too early to decide/ask, I would like to know that which other specialization (read subjects from specialization) would help someone like me wanting to work in the HR domain. Please keep my background in mind.Amartya

See background matters, but you are taking a different trajectory by pursuing HR...so be open to all options, specially considering you don't have substantial work-ex (which is maybe good too, as most companies would be open for your profile, besides some work ex ensures a basic comfort with corporate life- a plus recruiters would definitely look into)

Many people prefer Marketing with HR (both requires a basic understanding of human psychology), plus as HR u do "internal branding"...concepts of HR might be generally helpful
Caution: Many people club Mark+HR thinking both require good "communication skills" (read smooth talking) but I tend to disagree with this line of thought...any profession requires good communication skills these days

Fin+HR is explosive for Compensation & Benefits role...concepts like time value of money, discounting factor are widely used in designing pension/retirement benefits, and taxation is always a hot topic for compensation analysts

Ops+HR is good for HR-Ops/HR Process Re-Engineering sort of jobs, something which lot of outsourcing companies do, HR Payroll+HR Outsourcing consultants

Can anyone tell me the difference in this thread and the why HR thread .. And why do we need two threads , I am not questioning the objective but rather saying that you guys can continue in the same thread ..

Anyways Nice to see garfield doing such a great job .. :thumbsup:

Can anyone tell me the difference in this thread and the why HR thread .. And why do we need two threads , I am not questioning the objective but rather saying that you guys can continue in the same thread ..

Anyways Nice to see garfield doing such a great job .. :thumbsup:

The "Why HR" thread is for discussions related to HR, mainly for the aspirants and 1st year B-Schoolers who are confused about their choice of specialization...

This thread is for students of HR programs across the country...They can share material/thoughts/inputs and anything that they feel is useful...

Requesting all the regulars to contribute on this thread

Hello puys,

It is usually advised that in the initial stages of the career one should try and work across different verticals of HR - Recruitment and Selection, Training and Development, etc. I want to know which industries/companies provides this opportunity.

Best Regards

SIBM Pune
Human Resources
2012-2014

Subscribed!

@check.mate said: Hello puys,It is usually advised that in the initial stages of the career one should try and work across different verticals of HR - Recruitment and Selection, Training and Development, etc. I want to know which industries/companies provides this opportunity.Best RegardsSIBM Pune Human Resources 2012-2014
There are couple of Corp HR/HR Management Trainee profiles which offer you such opportunities...TATA HRDP, GE HRDP, Mahindra, MT Program of any FMCG/Telecom are some indicative names

I am a alumni of GLA. Wherever I am today its all because of what I learned at GLA. At present I am working with Samsung. Whatever I have learned during my tenure at GLA completely applies in my professional life. I really thank my teachers to make me what I am today.