Strathclyde Business school 2013 Admits

Hello ! Please excuse me if there is another thread for this already, I couldn’t find one for 2013. Anyway, I received a ‘conditional admit on successful interview’ and the interview went well too. I should be receiving the confirmation soon. …

Hello !
Please excuse me if there is another thread for this already, I couldn't find one for 2013.
Anyway, I received a 'conditional admit on successful interview' and the interview went well too. I should be receiving the confirmation soon. I want to know if anyone else has been admitted or has received a conditional offer.
I also want to know if anyone has any info on the 2012 graduates since the visa changes ?

@takkumi

I too have the same offer a week ago. But my interview is due. Also, I know two pass-outs of 2012 MBA from UK (not Strathclyde) who've had to come back to India and have joined on ordinary posts. 😞 I am confused as well. Don't know what I'll be doing.

@Inita
Nice to hear from someone else.
Anyway, I had my interview and my admission was confirmed. Need to pay the deposit now.
The interview was short n simple. Just the general stuff.
Undergrad, work Experience, Why MBA, how will you contribute... things like that.

Anyway, which uni's did the 2 graduate from. Were they better ranked than Strathclyde?
Its a good program, but the opportunities in Uk n Europe are not looking good now.
Trying to get as much info as possible before deciding.

Good luck with your interview !

@takkumi

Thanks. My interview would be in late March. Didn't get any dates before that. Hopefully I'll get feedback from other Univs by then. But with UK Univs, the same kind of confusion everywhere.
The two ppl I was talking about in my earlier post were from Aberdeen and Wales (weren't better than Strathclyde). One of them even found a job and was offered a decent package, however, the hiring company refused to help him with his visa, so he had to come back.

Do you have any idea as to how the job market was for Strathclyde MBAs in 2011 and earlier years? I didn't a picture clear enough anywhere on the internet.

The 2011 placements were decent as far as i know. I think around 90% had offers within 3 months. But, the whole dynamic has changed since the visa restrictions. So I am trying to get some fresh news on the job market for international grads of 2012. The 2012 batch should have graduated in November (I think). Maybe in a month's time we should have some more news.
I'll try and contact someone in Strathclyde itself for this.

I personally ranks the UK schools as follows

LBS - Ultra

Tier 1 - Cranfield, Oxbridge, Manchester and Warwick (in alphabetical order!! just to avoid any confusion!!)

Tier 2 - Lancaster,
Strathclyde, Bath, Henley, Imperial, CASS (if you are looking only for finance), Aberdeen. (not in any order and I might have missed one or two).

Tier 3 - Rest - Not at all recommended NOW.

LBS has absolutely no question, not then and not now

Just a few years back, any school in tier-1 and 2 was absolutely excellent and much better than many of the reputed schools of India.

However, the situation changed dramatically with a double whammy, recession at one side and cancellation of HSMP on the other side. Due to this two way attacks, even tier 1 schools are in danger. Although the outlook is not so gloomy, but absolutely no certainty to land up in a befitting job. I said suitable job, not any job. You will get a mixed response from these schools depending on whom you ask this question. You need to sense the ground correctly!!!!

The problem is more for tier 2 schools. The problem compounded with Indian students due to various reasons. I personally know one of the tier 2 schools with around 25+ Indians and most of them are desperately looking for a job. The programme and faculty of the school is extremely well but struggling now. If job is not your first priority, then these schools are excellent. And if you are lucky, recession may be over by the time you look for job!!!

So, if you are not so enthusiastic to come back to India after your studies, look no further than tier 1.

If you can wait a year to see the picture clearly, please do so rather than risking big time.

Sorry I might have disappointed you. But it is better to be sorry now rather than big trouble later!!

best of luck

I personally ranks the UK schools as follows

LBS - Ultra

Tier 1 - Cranfield, Oxbridge, Manchester and Warwick (in alphabetical order!! just to avoid any confusion!!)

Tier 2 - Lancaster,
Strathclyde, Bath, Henley, Imperial, CASS (if you are looking only for finance), Aberdeen. (not in any order and I might have missed one or two).

Tier 3 - Rest - Not at all recommended NOW.

LBS has absolutely no question, not then and not now

Just a few years back, any school in tier-1 and 2 was absolutely excellent and much better than many of the reputed schools of India.

However, the situation changed dramatically with a double whammy, recession at one side and cancellation of HSMP on the other side. Due to this two way attacks, even tier 1 schools are in danger. Although the outlook is not so gloomy, but absolutely no certainty to land up in a befitting job. I said suitable job, not any job. You will get a mixed response from these schools depending on whom you ask this question. You need to sense the ground correctly!!!!

The problem is more for tier 2 schools. The problem compounded with Indian students due to various reasons. I personally know one of the tier 2 schools with around 25+ Indians and most of them are desperately looking for a job. The programme and faculty of the school is extremely well but struggling now. If job is not your first priority, then these schools are excellent. And if you are lucky, recession may be over by the time you look for job!!!

So, if you are not so enthusiastic to come back to India after your studies, look no further than tier 1.

If you can wait a year to see the picture clearly, please do so rather than risking big time.

Sorry I might have disappointed you. But it is better to be sorry now rather than big trouble later!!

best of luck

@WouldBeCrazy
Your post reflects my thoughts exactly.
I'd also say Strathclyde is at the lower end of the tier-2 schools. I do understand that I will probably end up back in India after the program. I will also need to consider options back here in terms of how valuable the degree will be.
@WouldBeCrazy said:
Sorry I might have disappointed you. But it is better to be sorry now rather than big trouble later!!best of luck

Thanks for the advice.. Its obviously a very serious decision, need to consider all the con's as well.

@takkumi
By the way, had you taken the GMAT? If yes, what was your score?
Inita

My Brief profile :

Gmat: 700
Exp: 4 year in IT (Business/System analyst) with a bit of managerial/team leadership experience as well
Extracurriculars: Fair but nothing extensive.
IELTS: 8.0

Strath is a nice safety, but really hoping to get into Manchester Business School. I'v applied to Lancaster also.
I'm waiting for replies from Katz (Pittsburgh) and Uo Wisconsin in the US too.

How bout you ?

@takkumi

I'll be writing the GMAT next week.
Exp: 3.5 years (Hardly any exp in a managerial role)
Extra-curriculars: Nothing extraordinary
IELTS: 7.5
Academics: Average

I haven't submitted many applications, will start once I see my GMAT score, so that I get most admission results/feedbacks around the same time. Becomes easy to choose. I will be applying to a couple of Singaporean and Australian Universities too. Only those which offer a one year MBA.

Hi ,

Even I have cleared interview for Strath, Unconditional is pending because of IELTS.

I am damn confused right now, have offer from Glasgow as well.. What should I do?
@Sank8

Hi Congratulations!! What did they ask you in your interview?

Had you taken the GMAT? If yes, what was your score? How many years of managerial experience do you have?
@Sank8

Do you have an unconditional offer from Glasgow? I too had applied but I've got a 'conditional' offer. And no communication after that. No interview yet. I wonder what that means.

How were interviews with Strath and Glasgow? Any evaluative questions?
@Inita hi,

I will be having 3 years of Managerial cadre work-ex by the time of starting course.

Gmat was 670. Interview was really avg. & Very common questions were asked. In all it lasted only for 8 mins 40 sec, over phone.

Hey Guys

I am a part of the current cohort (2012 - 2013) at Strathclyde Business School. Will be happy to answer any questions you have about the school and the MBA. You can reply to this thread or if you have any specific questions, you can email me. My ID is [email protected].

Regards
Hemant Chandran

hi @Inita,

I had offer from Glasgow, but that was for Msc, as I had applied before Gmat.. I am Most Probably finallising on Strath.. What is your Progress? When is your Gmat?

@HemantChandran Hi,

I was looking for someone from School directly to help.. I am in process of finalising SBS. Need your inputs and also first hand experience abt the school and city.!!

Regards,
Sanket

Hi Sanket

It would be my pleasure to help you. SBS as you know is triple accredited by EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA. The school undergoes a rigorous process of accreditation to ensure the standard of education provided is high. From my personal experience, the course is very demanding and will push you to the limit most of the times. A one year MBA is meant to do that. Specific details of the course and modules are discussed in the admission BLOGS we write for prospective students. Please let me know if you are unable to locate that on the website.

Glasgow has its own charm. Some of my classmates really hate the city since it rains here most of the time and is cold and windy. Surprisingly it hasn't snowed much this year. Hope this helps.

Regards
Hemant

Hello Guys,

I am also part of the current cohort (2012 - 2013) at Strathclyde Business School. I will be happy to answer any queries you have about the school or the MBA. You can ask through this thread or if you have any specific questions, you can email me on my ID [email protected]

Just to give you an insight to the program and college in addition to what Hemant has told above:

Strathclyde pays a good focus on Strategy, which as my personal experience I will say is a skill that every successful entrepreneur or manager needs. Having joined the school and spent almost 6 months learning, I can pass on my experience so far:

1) Its a tough course as in intellectually challenging and a demanding one too. with lots of group work involved along with the individual stuffs.

2) There is a broad mix of students, with the largest group coming from India. There is a lot of knowledge sharing which helps you to gain an insight to various parts of the world even without travelling there.

3) Glasgow is a fun city (Many of my batch mates might not agree to this because of Glasgow weather but personally I like this place). Glasgow is a place of
torrential storms, snow, hail which sometimes actually provide quite a bit of fun and enjoyment.

4) The university management is really co-operative in all respects. I am surprised to the extent to which the university listens to the MBA students questions and concerns.

This is a small insight to the things which I can think of. As mentioned earlier pour in your queries here and we are there to help you out in all possible aspects.

Cheers & good luck with your applications to Strath.

Regards
Bhavesh