Story: Jack takes GMAT.

Preface I am presenting you a story of Jack, a normal GMAT test taker. Lately I observed, students’ negative drive towards taking the test; Jack is one of them. I can see many Jacks there. They usually postpone or retake the test becau…

Preface

I am presenting you a story of Jack, a normal GMAT test taker.
Lately I observed, students' negative drive towards taking the test; Jack is one of them. I can see many Jacks there. They usually postpone or retake the test because of low score.
As a result of it, I decided to write an article in my blog, based on how important it is to take GMAT at once and for all.
Later I dropped the idea and thought to place it on GMAT forum; here! That way I ll make it more interactive.

I want your comments on the Jack's story, folks.
I have my own opinion on this story (of course! I have written it.)

Before I write further, here's my background:
You might wonder that why should you read the story of the fictional character and later hear the opinion of a person ( that is me) who has not taken the test!?!
I have been thinking of b-schools since last 5-6 years. And GMAT is in my mind all day all night for last two years. In a process, I read as much as I could get on the internet. I joined online forums, interacted with people, enough for now, to make a firm opinion on GMAT issues. On June end of this year I was fully prepared for GMAT. But due to my ignorance to the fact that I needed a passport on the test day, I dropped the plan. I still do not have one! :(

People,
Feel free to post the comments on the story. However, I am posting just first part of the series, Latter parts contain my opinions followed by right approach etc.
Since those are my personal opinions it is upto you and moderators to decide whether I should post the latter ones too.

Thank you.

-------------------------------
Year 1 December.
Jack is a student in his final years. Like many of his classmates he wants to do an MBA. And as they say, the early you plan the better and easier you path will be.
So he plans:
-Bachelors degree
-3-4 years job.
-Applying for b-schools.
OK. that sounds good.

Jack knows that theres a beast called GMAT, must be conquered first. His friends advice him to give GMAT a shot, now. He agrees, thinking that, it would be better if he takes the test during his education. He wouldnt have to brush up the basic skills. He has a habit of studying hard; also he would have access to the college library. He has Christmas holidays to slog for GMAT. Thats perfect.

Jack starts preparing for GMAT. He goes to the Internet to read some reviews on books related to GMAT. He does good research and starts preparing for GMAT. His first diagnostic test scores in five hundred something. 510 to be precise.
He was shocked by such a low score.
He does more research on GMAT; uses online resources; signs up for various fora.

Later he realized two facts(?):
*GMAT needs average of two months of preparation.
*And 650+ in GMAT is the consider average score for good b-schools..
Concluding this, he postpones his GMAT date to summer, thinking that it would be impossible for him to study for two months during his graduation.

----------------------------------
Year 2 August
Jack completes his degree & now hes free time till he gets his first job.

He plots a plan.
Aug+ Sept =two months GMAT study.

He buys half dozen books, based on the online reviews.
He decides to do job search and GMAT preparation simultaneously.
He takes his diagnostic test again and finishes with the exact same figure he had eight months ago.
He already has joined GMAT forums. He also purchases some simulation CAT GMAT CDs. And yes! he signs up for a reputed GMAT coaching class too.

More determined Jack thinks that he can improve his score by couple of hundredsmany people have done that. He read many peoples GMAT journey.
Loaded with full of material hard and soft he starts his GMAT preparation.
He finds GMAT forum addictive. He goes there often and grabs many interesting facts/myths about GMAT.

Jack couldnt been able to excel his score though
He had online forums that provide plenty of different solutions to a problem. He had plenty of books to get different strategies. He had classroom strategy too! to attack different problems. He had habit to study for long hours. Still he failed to excel.

He was thinking positive that his score would rise.
After two months of preparation he manages to get ~570-580 on his practice tests.
Thats an improvement of course! But not much that he wanted.
Meanwhile he gets a job offer which he cannot deny.Disappointed Jack, again postpones his GMAT.

Year 3 November

Jacks way out of his studies. Hes working for full time for a year or more. GMAT is still in his mind. He has not quit from his favorite GMAT forum. He thinks it would be good to keep in touch.
This time he decides not to spend a single extra money for GMAT; had enough of it.

Jack starts preparing for GMAT with his coaching class material, the books he had purchased and online forums, of course.
He realized the fact that he couldnt give more time than he gave earlier due to his job responsibility; ...he sacrificed the night outs. Stopped meeting friends. And studied hard again.

He has grown wiser than earlier. He knows how to attack a problem now. Though he got 510 in diagnostic test. After two months of better preparation he managed to lift his score by hundred points to 610!. His real first GMAT score!
He was not at all satisfied with his score. He keeps on telling himself you can raise your score by more 100 points. common you can do it!
Hes angry with himself; dont know what to do
hes in a dilemma.
-to retake the test again within a month?
-to again postpone it till more time space available?
-to drop the idea of GMAT./ let 610 be good.
-to abandon the thought of B-schools.

He knows the options presented are negative in ascending order. At this moment Jack is not confident enough to take most positive option. & he wont be so depressed to cut the thought of B-school entirely... after-all he spent more than two years of GMAT

God bless him.

I am very much disappointed with such a dull response (Oh! not dull its no response :neutral::() from this community.

Anyway
I have published the other /remaining part of this story on my blog: beating GMAT and beyond.

Go and check out the full story with my comments.
Guys feel free to comment

I think moving this thread to a lounge section (chit-chat) might attract some attention.

Also it will receive a wider read.
The article (a case study) is aimed at rookie in GMAT prep so moving this the thread to chit chat might not be that bad idea....

who knows...
if i receive good response i would publish here (at pagalguy) other parts of articles too.
and again if receive no response will ask mods to close it :|

Reason of bumping:
When i published this article on PG GMAT section.... it was a baby forum....
yes i agree that this site has some of the great GMAT gurus but when i say a baby forum: i mean people dont indulge in discussion:
they just ask n answer specific queries, write GMAT war stories or at the most discuss the problems....

I observe, we opened problem discussion thread recently and our members are participating in it actively....
I also see our sister forum B-School Discussions for MBA abroad is coming out with successful applicants

its a good sign and PG GMAT forum is growing up from baby stage...

IT'S TIME TO BUMP THIS THREAD :)

-------------------------------
Year 1 December.
Jack is a student in his final years. Like many of his classmates he wants to do an MBA. And as they say, the early you plan the better and easier you path will be.
So he plans:
-Bachelors degree
-3-4 years job.
-Applying for b-schools.
OK. that sounds good.

Jack knows that theres a beast called GMAT, must be conquered first. His friends advice him to give GMAT a shot, now. He agrees, thinking that, it would be better if he takes the test during his education. He wouldnt have to brush up the basic skills. He has a habit of studying hard; also he would have access to the college library. He has Christmas holidays to slog for GMAT. Thats perfect.

Jack starts preparing for GMAT. He goes to the Internet to read some reviews on books related to GMAT. He does good research and starts preparing for GMAT. His first diagnostic test scores in five hundred something. 510 to be precise.
He was shocked by such a low score.
He does more research on GMAT; uses online resources; signs up for various fora.

Later he realized two facts(?):
*GMAT needs average of two months of preparation.
*And 650+ in GMAT is the consider average score for good b-schools..
Concluding this, he postpones his GMAT date to summer, thinking that it would be impossible for him to study for two months during his graduation.

Year 2 August
Jack completes his degree & now hes free time till he gets his first job.

He plots a plan.
Aug+ Sept =two months GMAT study.

He buys half dozen books, based on the online reviews.
He decides to do job search and GMAT preparation simultaneously.
He takes his diagnostic test again and finishes with the exact same figure he had eight months ago.
He already has joined GMAT forums. He also purchases some simulation CAT GMAT CDs. And yes! he signs up for a reputed GMAT coaching class too.

More determined Jack thinks that he can improve his score by couple of hundredsmany people have done that. He read many peoples GMAT journey.
Loaded with full of material hard and soft he starts his GMAT preparation.
He finds GMAT forum addictive. He goes there often and grabs many interesting facts/myths about GMAT.

Jack couldnt been able to excel his score though
He had online forums that provide plenty of different solutions to a problem. He had plenty of books to get different strategies. He had classroom strategy too! to attack different problems. He had habit to study for long hours. Still he failed to excel.

He was thinking positive that his score would rise.
After two months of preparation he manages to get ~570-580 on his practice tests.
Thats an improvement of course! But not much that he wanted.
Meanwhile he gets a job offer which he cannot deny.Disappointed Jack, again postpones his GMAT.

Year 3 November

Jacks way out of his studies. Hes working for full time for a year or more. GMAT is still in his mind. He has not quit from his favorite GMAT forum. He thinks it would be good to keep in touch.
This time he decides not to spend a single extra money for GMAT; had enough of it.

Jack starts preparing for GMAT with his coaching class material, the books he had purchased and online forums, of course.
He realized the fact that he couldnt give more time than he gave earlier due to his job responsibility; ...he sacrificed the night outs. Stopped meeting friends. And studied hard again.

He has grown wiser than earlier. He knows how to attack a problem now. Though he got 510 in diagnostic test. After two months of better preparation he managed to lift his score by hundred points to 610!. His real first GMAT score!
He was not at all satisfied with his score. He keeps on telling himself you can raise your score by more 100 points. common you can do it!
Hes angry with himself; dont know what to do
hes in a dilemma.
-to retake the test again within a month?
-to again postpone it till more time space available?
-to drop the idea of GMAT./ let 610 be good.
-to abandon the thought of B-schools.

He knows the options presented are negative in ascending order. At this moment Jack is not confident enough to take most positive option. & he wont be so depressed to cut the thought of B-school entirely... after-all he spent more than two years of GMAT

God bless him.

Aim nice article! But then what happ to jack?? Did he fianlly write it or not? I dont wana offencd u, but the way jack prepared, if his score did not go up, i guess u r scaring many puys. I dont prepare like him, (masy be not even 1/10 of what jack prepares)!! 😞

i ll be most happy if most of puys dont prepare like Jack.
Thanks for the response.
its a cautionary tale that everyone should avoid. thats all i have to say.

what Jack should do is upto you. please cast your vote and take part in the discussion. help Jack. 😃

Johny bhai,

There is one more aspect to the tale of Jack i.e.

How determined and focussed is he on what he wants to do and this goes beyond merely cracking GMAT. I can tell from my experince for sure, people mature with age and experience (am not only refering to work ex, but about the experince of life).

Experiences coupled with a load of responsibility goes a long way in ensuring that little Jack grows big and does not fall into the "collegiate trap".

Sorry for sounding like a big brother, but just thought abt writing this,

Cheers............

Johny bhai,

There is one more aspect to the tale of Jack i.e.

How determined and focussed is he on what he wants to do and this goes beyond merely cracking GMAT. I can tell from my experince for sure, people mature with age and experience (am not only refering to work ex, but about the experince of life).

Experiences coupled with a load of responsibility goes a long way in ensuring that little Jack grows big and does not fall into the "collegiate trap".

Sorry for sounding like a big brother, but just thought abt writing this,

Cheers............

hahaa
check the age
Johny is juss 24 years ol'
he lacks maturity to write about ^life experiences^ so he wrote just about the GMAT stuff

would love to hear more from you if you elaborate your last post a bit
:)

thanks for the response
hahaa
check the age
Johny is juss 24 years ol'
he lacks maturity to write about ^life experiences^ so he wrote just about the GMAT stuff

would love to hear more from you if you elaborate your last post a bit
:)

thanks for the response

By the way, does 'Jack' referr to you by some means?? :confused:
PS: No offence ment!!

Okay here it goes,

An attempt needs to be backed by two things:

1) Ability (Innate or cultivated)
2) Attitude (I am no talking about intention, because very good intentions often go down the drain)

There is also a third thing, which though should not be mentioned because it is extraneous is "Luck" (There isn't a shit you can do about it, except for doing good and hoping for good)

While ability factor is normally worked upon very relegiously, it it the attitude which separates the haves from the havenots. Unfortunately we are in a place like India where we have lot of ability surrounding us (I would believe that only CHina gives us a serious competition).

Hence while most people are able, many of them lack the understanding of what is it that they want to become, will it satisy their long term goals(many don't have a clear idea abt this), will their be any additional load of responsbility that they need to take care of etc etc etc....

While all of this might sound slighly more philosophical, these discussons are very real and pose practical challenges to an aspirant.

At a finer level this level of maturity reflects in your essays and your discussions, at a more braoder level it helps you demystify your journey towards an illusive drream.

I don't know if I am making sense but I did make an effort to explain what I meant.

This is a purely neutral post with no offences meant to anybody, just in case.....

Thanks and ATB

Hey aim,
Just a suggestion.Why don't u have this thread in your signature.That'll take care of a lot of things And yeah am following your marathon.So how about getting that commitment for once :eh:
ATB n Wharton awaits you :thumbsup:

@NairPraveen: hmmm i got similar response from somebody ages back about the Jack.

Dear Praveen,
by the two replies you have posted here on the thread, i think, you have not understood what is the intention of the story. and the thread in larger extend.

Have you read post #1 THE PREFACE?
It clearly states that Jack is fictional character.( & my name is Johny not Jack )

.... i developed the story from all experience i got while i was on various GMAT related forums....
i saw people fail to succeed even after all preparation and money spend on coaching classes,
.. this is to your post #5 & #6: I tried to spot the hole; what goes wrong and what should be the right approach....
& then i published this article: what you are reading is just a first of half of the article. (ie the question/ dilemma part) the solution and analysis followed is provided in my blog
I deliberately did not publish the rest of the article because i received no response from this community...

I ll however will publish if the thread catches up 😃
Thank you.

I dont know why all people are making this disclaimers note: "no offense meant" let me tell you again this is just a study thread, a survey, purely intellectual stuff...

I don't know if I am making sense but I did make an effort to explain what I meant.
This is a purely neutral post with no offences meant to anybody, just in case.....
Thanks and ATB

yeah i got your point.
but I am afraid its off the topic.

Thanks anyways 😃

Ok,
Here is my take on what Jack should do.
Firstly , I think Jack did not follow the right approach.
I mean after getting a low score in the practise test even after preparing for two-three months he should have tried to identify his weak areas and then work on them. Probably some professional help or talking to others who cracked GMAT and asking them to mentor him.

Jack still has aprrox two years or more before he starts thinking of starting the app process. He can give GMAT a break now, relax and start on it after a break.
But this time working on his weaker areas, identifying his mistakes and some help from others, he should retake his test.

That was just one of the views.

If Jack does not have time or patience to spend more time on GMAT. He should consider his score to be ok and work on his profile, extra curriculars and other stuff. What Jack should realise is that 650+ is a average score at a good school but there are people who have admits with a score of 600!
He should work on building his profile and try to present a great package.
If he manages to do that and also reasons his low GMAT well then he's gor good chances.

Overall, dropping the idea of joining a b-school is not at all good, unless he's hit a jackpot in Lotto ;)

Jack is a typical b-schools aspirant who is going thru these varied emotions which each gmat taker and b-school aspirant goes through.

Jack's case in some would help all the aspirants the importance of the different elements, vizaviz GMAT, essays, recommendations, extra curriculars etc...

That was my take on that.

Bingo

excellent analysis Mituag
thanks for the response.

its so damn true and this s wat happens in majority of the cases...good one dude...ur an awesome analyst i should say....

rock on...

I found the same story at beating GMAT & beyond: Jack's GMAT story:

Is that your blog?

Edited later...
Oopss...sorry, Yea I see that in ur signature.
Good one thr 😃

OK It's :yell: june ending.
perfect time for GMAT prep.
You should not extend it any longer if you're applying to b-schools abroad this year :). come August keep that as a deadline.

Infact that was the purpose behind launching this story last august.
This year again I'm bumping the thread for you guys.

In a year I learn more about peoples perception and psychology.
I observed changes in GMAT. wrt GMAT prep s/w.
...would discuss more....