Sticking Points In Grammar For CAT-2010

Hi all… Last night i had a very intense and sapping discussion with one of my friends over the conflicting and sticking theories in English Grammar. Although there are countless books in the market that might teach one the basics of Gr…

Hi all...

Last night i had a very intense and sapping discussion with one of my friends over the conflicting and sticking theories in English Grammar.

Although there are countless books in the market that might teach one the basics of Grammar , however nothings beats a proper discussion 😃 at any given day.

We learn more through discussing than anything.It is desired that Puys pour in with their problems/queries and we would have a lively discussion over here on those bottlenecks.

It must be understood that this thread would strictly invite problems in Grammar.
There are already many threads for other sub-sections of the VA section.

Mods : This is no grammar thread...

Godspeed ,
Amit

almost a year had passed since i solved any fij's . so last night took a ten a day test and stumbled completely over the fact inference judgement questions ( have posted my querry in all kinds of va q thread chk out) and i have to concede that they are a lot more than what meets the eye. here i am posting some sentences plz expound how will you categorize them .

1.Given the different political environment and cultural heritage existing in each country, it is reasonable to expect different countries to follow different monetary policies.
2.every red tape procedure is an point of contact with an official and such contacts have the potential to become opportunities for money to change hands.
ill post some more sentences just these two starters for now.

almost a year had passed since i solved any fij's . so last night took a ten a day test and stumbled completely over the fact inference judgement questions ( have posted my querry in all kinds of va q thread chk out) and i have to concede that they are a lot more than what meets the eye. here i am posting some sentences plz expound how will you categorize them .

1.Given the different political environment and cultural heritage existing in each country, it is reasonable to expect different countries to follow different monetary policies.
2.every red tape procedure is an point of contact with an official and such contacts have the potential to become opportunities for money to change hands.

My take would be:

1. Inference
2. Judgement

1) Judgement
2) Inference

let's see what others have to say
My take would be:

1. Inference
2. Judgement

Avinav sir, I just got the reverse answers

But i seriously feel the second sentence should be an Inference...we are concluding on the basis of facts..aren't we ?
Avinav sir, I just got the reverse answers

But i seriously feel the second sentence should be an Inference...we are concluding on the basis of facts..aren't we ?

Ya well you can say the same thing about the 1st statement as well Inferences and judgements are a bit tricky anyway, so you could be right too.

Anyway, hope this thread doesn't just become another thread to discuss questions. I guess this can be kept to discuss concepts as we have many threads to discuss questions.

MY take...

1.for d first sentence,m in agreement with Avinav saar....seems Inference to me...
2.confused...both seems logical....:-(.....

2.every red tape procedure is a point of contact with an official and such contacts have the potential to become opportunities for money to change hands.

1)Inference -> The statement is logical (in terms of reasoning and expectation, not in terms of economic viability)

2)Judgement -> The statement is a generalisation and is judgementally biased - although it can be true but it may not be). Also, I don't know if "every red tape procedure" is a point of contact with an official. Do you?
So, the first part of the second statement is a generalisation whereas the second part of the same seems not so much.

Although, I know the "Indian MBA definition" of FIJ but according to both Websters and Oxford, there is more than little common ground between the two definitions themselves.
These questions either will have to be dead easy or always wrong when answered, if you know what I mean.

Also, do you guys know of any International exam that tests FIJ questions?

By the way, don't we already have a VA thread up and running?

1.inference: The author logically arrives to the conclusion
2.Judgement: He believes that red tape procedures can be a potential cause for corruption.

ny take would be
1-inference
2-judgement

Inference and Fact

My take would be
1. Inference
2. Judgement, though he has stated a fact, the same point is not addressed in the next sentence.. I mean the fact is not used to arrive at the conclusion stated. so my answer is Judgement

Nice thread:)
Anyhow, here's my little doubt..
How do we decide between 'that' and 'who'.. For example

1. Ram is the boy was scolded by the teacher.
  2. He wokrs hard, eats bread.
These sentences are easy I guess, but I remember having read about a specific rule for this.. Can someone who (or 'that') knows please explain..

Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, herself an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland to guide other slaves along the Underground Railroad to freedom.

(A) herself an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland to guide
(B) being an escaped slave herself, returned again and again to Maryland so as to guide
(C) an escaped slave herself, returned again and again to Maryland for guiding
(D) herself as an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland so as to be the guide of
(E) who had been herself as an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland for the guiding of

I am confused betn A and C , will give OA soon...pl. expln the difference

Nice thread:)
Anyhow, here's my little doubt..
How do we decide between 'that' and 'who'.. For example
  1. Ram is the boy was scolded by the teacher.
  2. He wokrs hard, eats bread.
These sentences are easy I guess, but I remember having read about a specific rule for this.. Can someone who (or 'that') knows please explain..

i use a simple rule of using 'who' with people and 'that ' for other things . thus there should be who in both the sentences .
please correct me if i am wrong.
and puys please do post explanation with your answers . that will help a great deal in maintaining sanctity and promote the real purpose of thread . looking forward for some fij gyaan.
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, herself an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland to guide other slaves along the Underground Railroad to freedom.

(B) being an escaped slave herself, returned again and again to Maryland so as to guide
(D) herself as an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland so as to be the guide of
(E) who had been herself as an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland for the guiding of

My guess is C.
'an escaped slave herself' sounds more appropriate than 'herself an escaped slave'.. Anyhow I'm not able to find out if 'to guide' is more appropriate or 'for guiding'..

hkarthikm,
OA is A , to my SC ... that is why i posted

Now that the OA is out..i would still try to explain why A and why not C.

in A we have the order of infinitives in place..
for eg...
to maryland.....to guide....to freedom....

while in C

we have ...to maryland...(for) guiding...

hope that helps

this was nothing but checking if parallelism was being followed !

Try this,

Boss.....

Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy, when Amelia Earhart`s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while; however, today fear of flying is rare.
Options:
A.Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy, when Amelia Earhart`s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while
B. Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy when Amelia Earhart`s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while
C. Growing public enthusiasm for airline travel, still in its infancy, diminished after a while after Amelia Earhart`s plane disappeared in the 1930s
D. When Amelia Earhart`s plane disappeared in the 1930s, growing public enthusiasm for airline travel, still in its infancy, diminished for a while
E. After Amelia Earhart`s plane disappeared in the 1930s, the enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel in its infancy diminished for a while