Stern applicant 2008 - transcripts

hi planning to apply to stern for 2008. can anyone help on the transcripts part. looks like a toughest part! the site says that we have to submit original transcripts or get it attested by the US ambassy in india. - has anybody got it at…

hi

planning to apply to stern for 2008. can anyone help on the transcripts part. looks like a toughest part!

the site says that we have to submit original transcripts or get it attested by the US ambassy in india.
- has anybody got it attested from the embassy. did'nt know embassy/consulates do all that stuff.
- how are others people managing this? doubt CBSE would provide one more set of marksheets!!

I don't know about Stern, but usually we need only graduation and above transcripts. This is the first time I'm hearing about CBSE transcripts in MBA application... Are you sure you need it?

I think you are getting confused between "transcripts" and "marksheets". Transcripts are official letters from the School/College stating the subjects your studied and your marks. Enquire in your school/college about them.

Not a lot of Stern applicants are there?

Anyway I'm in. Racing for R1 deadline

I am in the race too..for Round 1. Starting the essays today..

From what I gather, if you can get the transcripts attested and sealed by your university, that it good enough. Otherwise, you will have to get them attested by the consulate.

I am in the race too..for Round 1. Starting the essays today..

From what I gather, if you can get the transcripts attested and sealed by your university, that it good enough. Otherwise, you will have to get them attested by the consulate.

Stern has a transcript form too which has to be send along with the transcript. Did you guys got that form filled along with the transcript? I doubt my University's Registrar will fill in that form. What's the way out? My university doesn't keeps the statistics and i doubt whether they will take pains getting the numbers out. So if the Class Rank section is left out how does that go with the Stern's AdCom?

Regards
Stern has a transcript form too which has to be send along with the transcript. Did you guys got that form filled along with the transcript? I doubt my University's Registrar will fill in that form. What's the way out? My university doesn't keeps the statistics and i doubt whether they will take pains getting the numbers out. So if the Class Rank section is left out how does that go with the Stern's AdCom?

Regards

I have a class visit on 29th of this month. I will try to get clarifications to all these questions..

Thanks max.
Please get one more question clarified. I have 4.0 in AWA section of GMAT. Will it be advisable to give TOEFL n score good in writing section to subside any doubts about my writing skills. Or will the essays i write in the application give them an idea of my writing abilities? Because otherwise the TOEFL is waived for applicants coming from a University where medium of instruction was english.

I am applying to Stern too. Have about 20 days. Just one question about the application itself. Do the marksheets with the transcripts have to reach them by the 15th of November?

This is what I found out from one of the stern students...

> Just the sealed transcripts from the institute will do.. I dropped mine in the admissions office yesterday.
> They will not wait till the second deadline to review the applications submitted after the first deadline. So, try to get the applications submitted ASAP even if you do not meet the R1 deadline.

> Just the sealed transcripts from the institute will do.. I dropped mine in the admissions office yesterday.
> They will not wait till the second deadline to review the applications submitted after the first deadline. So, try to get the applications submitted ASAP even if you do not meet the R1 deadline.

Thanks Max, this clears up the doubts about transcripts...I am sending a sealed envelope with transcripts obtained from my university, I am sure that should be enough....

I am also going in for R1 deadline on 15 Nov, my profile:

720, 5.5, IT, >4 years by Aug 2008, ok academics, good EC

cheers,
Nathan

Did you enquire this from an International Student? Because NYU Stern Applying to Stern
states that International Transcripts should be accompanied with a degree conferral proof too.
At the bottom you have this Admissions Tip:-
"International transcripts showing completion of a curriculum or courses are not sufficient on a stand alone basis. They must be accompanied by a copy of your diploma/degree conferral."

Does that mean i will have to get the degree verified by the embassy? I have the sealed copy of transcript but i have not heard of institiution providing another copy of degree. If I am wrong please correct me i.e. if its possible to get a copy of degree too as is the case with transcripts.

Regards....

For the essays Stern specifies that

"Essays 1, 2 and 4 must be typed and submitted using the standard U.S. 8 1/2 x 11 format, double-spaced, in 12-point font."

What is meant by the the standard U.S. 8 1/2 x 11? Which font do we have to use.

8.5*11 is the standard letter pad/paper size. as for the font, i would imagine you can use any of the standard commonly used ones such as Times New Roman or Ariel etc.

how's ur essay 3 coming along and do you know if there is another post where there is more discussion of the essay and other app stuff?

thanks

Thanks a lot 'globetotter'.

I have not yet started on any of the three essays. Still in the process of gathering inputs/thoughts into my responses.

As far as the third essay is concerned, the only tips that I have found are from Accepted.com and clearadmit.com
NYU Stern MBA Program
Clear Admit: MBA Admissions Consultants Blog NYU / Stern Essay Topic Analysis 2007-2008

This is similar to the Chicago GSB ppt question (Clear Admit: MBA Admissions Consultants Blog Chicago GSB Essays 2007-2008) The only thing is that we probably cannot reuse anything from that. So it would be one more piece of our creativity 😃

One more question -

The application does not seem to have a place where we need to upload our unofficial transcripts. It only asks for our GPA. Do we have to do a conversion to the US 4 point scale? Or do we just report our GPAs as it appears in our transcript.

PS - I have already send the official transcript in a sealed envelope and photocopy of the degree certificate by snail mail to the admissions office.

One more question -

The application does not seem to have a place where we need to upload our unofficial transcripts. It only asks for our GPA. Do we have to do a conversion to the US 4 point scale? Or do we just report our GPAs as it appears in our transcript.

PS - I have already send the official transcript in a sealed envelope and photocopy of the degree certificate by snail mail to the admissions office.

just report it as the GPA is there on your tarnscript...they will take care of the rest

Thanks Ankush.

But I just now came across a old Chat transcript with the admissions director (at accepted.com) 2005 NYU Stern MBA Admissions Chat with Isser Gallogly

This is what the admissions director has said
"IsserGalloglyNYU (Oct 13, 2004 5:32:24 PM)
Abhi-we see a lot of different scoring systems, do the best to convert your grades, but we are very familiar and trained to evaluate. If you find it too challenging to convert, just leave that blank."

I have send a mail to the admissions committee - Hopefully will get a clarification soon.

Thanks a lot 'globetotter'.

I have not yet started on any of the three essays. Still in the process of gathering inputs/thoughts into my responses.

As far as the third essay is concerned, the only tips that I have found are from Accepted.com and clearadmit.com
NYU Stern MBA Program
Clear Admit: MBA Admissions Consultants Blog NYU / Stern Essay Topic Analysis 2007-2008

This is similar to the Chicago GSB ppt question (Clear Admit: MBA Admissions Consultants Blog Chicago GSB Essays 2007-2008) The only thing is that we probably cannot reuse anything from that. So it would be one more piece of our creativity :)

You cannot reuse from that means you have not applied to Chicago or does it mean that as it was a powerpoint and this is an essay, you want to put a new perspective to it?
And you have send that through snail mail means you are in US because i couriered my transcript yesterday itself from here(India). Correct me if i am wrong. Because your location being displayed here is Bangalore. I am worried that have i done the right thing by sending a courier as it is not addressed to any person but to an Office.