Stanford Fall 2010 Entry - Application Thread

Hi All, I was looking for a forum to support the Stanford apps. I am an R2 applicant. Hope more people will join in. My profile is enclosed. Thanks, Pranay

Hi All,

I was looking for a forum to support the Stanford apps. I am an R2 applicant.

Hope more people will join in.

My profile is enclosed.

Thanks,
Pranay

hi pranay. wish you all the very best. are you done with essays?

i will be applying to stanford in R2 as well. am almost done with my essays and will finalize them by dec 15.

My profile

Industry: IT
GMAT: 740
Acads: decent
Career progression: excellent

hi pranay. wish you all the very best. are you done with essays?

i will be applying to stanford in R2 as well. am almost done with my essays and will finalize them by dec 15.

My profile

Industry: IT
GMAT: 740
Acads: decent
Career progression: excellent

I'm actually just starting out on the essays. I'm getting the rest of the app filled up and will attack the essays in a week or so.

Theres also a possibility my resume might change because I'm starting a new business this week. So I want to complete the transition in the next week-10 days and then write my essays.

With my background, I have received a lot of contrasting feedback about my chances, the large majority saying that "its how i build my case" that matters, which means I'm a borderline... could be good, could be dinged...

but Im going to try anyways.
Any pointers on "Why Stanford"?
thanks,
Pranay

i suppose once you decide to apply, u just go through with it without worrying too much about the results.

i do think you have a good "profile". just a case of how well you establish a "fit" with the school.

in my case, i work in technology and want to continue in technology. stanford with its silicon valley location affords me a wide variety of choices. the feedback iv received from a friend who studied there + my own experiences working with a client from stanford has helped me decide.

i suppose once you decide to apply, u just go through with it without worrying too much about the results.

i do think you have a good "profile". just a case of how well you establish a "fit" with the school.

in my case, i work in technology and want to continue in technology. stanford with its silicon valley location affords me a wide variety of choices. the feedback iv received from a friend who studied there + my own experiences working with a client from stanford has helped me decide.

Hmmm.. yea, as it was aptly said by an admissions consultant... Essays are 20-30% of the app process.. but 100% of my life process... If it weren't for those essays all these consultants would be out of a job.

Did you use a figurative approach (i.e. career goals) to write what matters most, or did you write it from life point of view?

Isn't there anyone else on PG who is applying to Stanford? Looks like there is no competition from PG for the Stanford berths this year...

P_Srinivasan Says
Did you use a figurative approach (i.e. career goals) to write what matters most, or did you write it from life point of view?

i wrote it from a life pt of view.

Hey,
I'm planning to apply for Stanford in R2.
Profile :
2 yrs in IT Consulting,
GMAT - 780 /5.0
BTech, NIT,Trichy
Good ECs

Just had one query, hope one of you could answer. Does my referrer need to write a letter answering all those questions, or does he need to just provide answers for them?

Hello... I'm applying in the R2 as well. Will start working on my essays tomorrow.
Stanford is my top choice but i fear that my chances are slim. I've enclosed my profile. What do you think?

GMAT: 710
Univ: Good US college - Purdue Univ.
GPA: 3.3 in Computer Sc.
Work Ex: 3.7 years
1 year as part of a highly coveted technology leadership program with a large company.
2.5 years as a program manager
Great roles with good responsibilities and have good achievements in general.
Good extra curriculars till college and then decent ones after that.

Hey,
I'm planning to apply for Stanford in R2.
Profile :
2 yrs in IT Consulting,
GMAT - 780 /5.0
BTech, NIT,Trichy
Good ECs

Just had one query, hope one of you could answer. Does my referrer need to write a letter answering all those questions, or does he need to just provide answers for them?

Hi, your referrer needs to answer the questions online. They want anecdotal references - i.e. mentioning situations with specific responses w.r.t the questions. Like, you need to describe a situation and your response that describes a response to the question..
Hello... I'm applying in the R2 as well. Will start working on my essays tomorrow.
Stanford is my top choice but i fear that my chances are slim. I've enclosed my profile. What do you think?

GMAT: 710
Univ: Good US college - Purdue Univ.
GPA: 3.3 in Computer Sc.
Work Ex: 3.7 years
1 year as part of a highly coveted technology leadership program with a large company.
2.5 years as a program manager
Great roles with good responsibilities and have good achievements in general.
Good extra curriculars till college and then decent ones after that.

I guess your GMAT is one part of your app If you're in the ballpark and you have decent acads, it probably satisfies the Adcom. That being said, the rest of your app needs to be described well.

Hope this helps.

Pranay

Hi All....i have been little new to the international Bschool application process and so it would be very helpful if someone could reply to my below query on Stanford application.

The application says TOEFL/IELTS scores are not required if the medium of instruction at UG university is english....However, i have as well heard from few friends that one has less chances of selection if TOEFL/IELTS score is not provided. Is that the case...please reply....(i do not have a TOEFL score and am wondering if this would be a debacle for me )...

I guess your GMAT is one part of your app If you're in the ballpark and you have decent acads, it probably satisfies the Adcom. That being said, the rest of your app needs to be described well.

Hope this helps.

Pranay

Thanks Pranay...
Hi All....i have been little new to the international Bschool application process and so it would be very helpful if someone could reply to my below query on Stanford application.

The application says TOEFL/IELTS scores are not required if the medium of instruction at UG university is english....However, i have as well heard from few friends that one has less chances of selection if TOEFL/IELTS score is not provided. Is that the case...please reply....(i do not have a TOEFL score and am wondering if this would be a debacle for me )...

Hi, If your U-Grad Transcript is in English, you should upload this and email the Adcom confirming that your U-Grad was in English. Also there is a section on the Online App that asks you whether your undergrad was in English. Tick that and you dont need a TOEFL / IELTS...
They know Indians are pretty strong on English. The only reason colleges ask for a TOEFL is because they feel you need to follow the course instructions which are in English.

Best of Luck,
Pranay

Hey

Has any R2 applicant heard from Stanford? Do you know by when they start sending out invites for interviews? And if they reject you, do they still send you an email?

Hey

Has any R2 applicant heard from Stanford? Do you know by when they start sending out invites for interviews? And if they reject you, do they still send you an email?

R2 deadline was 6th Jan. Decisions will be made by 31st March 2010, so you should start receiving calls by mid-march.
And yes, you do get a ding email if you get dinged.
Are you an applicant? If you are, you should know this!
best,
Pranay

Hii all,

1)When do you think will be the interview calls?
2) They say essays are 1800 words but when i uploaded the doc with the questions interspersed it came to 1857 words.. do they do an automatic check or they go to individual essay answers and count the total?

Hii Srini,

Just a question here.
With more than 10 years experience, you can bet easily on an Exec MBA even from skools like Harvard, kellogg. Any specific reason for the 2 year program, Just a query to understand becoz the avg exp is 5 years for the normal program and cost and time benefits of an EMBA program will stand out for you as well.

Im a very low profile candidate and not hoping much..All the best for all you guys, you guys show solid profiles.

With Regards
Anand

Hii all,

1)When do you think will be the interview calls?
2) They say essays are 1800 words but when i uploaded the doc with the questions interspersed it came to 1857 words.. do they do an automatic check or they go to individual essay answers and count the total?

Hii Srini,

Just a question here.
With more than 10 years experience, you can bet easily on an Exec MBA even from skools like Harvard, kellogg. Any specific reason for the 2 year program, Just a query to understand becoz the avg exp is 5 years for the normal program and cost and time benefits of an EMBA program will stand out for you as well.

Im a very low profile candidate and not hoping much..All the best for all you guys, you guys show solid profiles.

With Regards
Anand

You need to check the individual word counts. If your total was 1857 including the questions, you should be fine.

I'm a career-switcher, and I really need the internship, networking, and the other goodies that a 2-year program brings. That said, Exec MBAs dont really attract the greatest placements, and are often for people looking to fast track up into the senior management. Most of those are company sponsored too.
I know I'm a little ancient and that does work against me in most MBA programs - but I'm hoping they feel
I'm "young at heart" and open their doors for me.

Best of Luck!
Pranay