SPJIMR 2006-Interview Exps-1Yr PGDM

SPJIMR has started the interview process for the qualified prospective candidates from 25-Nov-05 for the batch that starts from Jan-2006.It would be great and learning experience if the candidates who have attended the interview post their experie…

SPJIMR has started the interview process for the qualified prospective candidates from 25-Nov-05 for the batch that starts from Jan-2006.It would be great and learning experience if the candidates who have attended the interview post their experience.I searched the forum and could not find the intended posts,so I started a new one.Mods,if there is one please delete this..

I am also waiting for same....

I have my interview on next saturda (Dec 3rd). Even I am waiting for those ppl who attended yesterday to post their experiences. Lets see.

let wait and see...

Hi all,
My interview and test for the one year MBA at SPJ was schedld on 3rd dec at the institute campus in mumbai (For this i had to fly from chennai to mumbai and had to go through much ordeal... i will write abt that in a separate thread)
My interview experiences below,
I had to two interviews on 3rd and they were scheduled between 10:15 to 11:15 and second between 11:30 to 12:30. My written test (because I had not taken CAT and GMAT, so had to take up their test) was scheduled between 01:30 to 03:30 pm, but later it was converted to a CAT like test for just one hour.
As you all are probably aware, at SPJ, there is only Group interview and not a separate PI. (They said it is the only insti so far to have a group int, phew... how does it matter, we get screwed anyway).
At first, randomly they picked about 6 of the students and sent us to a room where we had two professors sitting there and also were two first year 2 yr program students (possibly to judge our participation, i think) and at start, they asked to a group talk (the prof again reminded that it is not a GD) about this, "This year recently India's GDP is 8% which was above expectations, how to interpret this" and without any sort of preparation (I wanted to write some notes about the topic andthen start talking), they let us do the talking (yes, not discuss). Ofcouse, it was just as chaotic (may be not that bad) and we all spoke about everthing in this world other than what the prof asked us to do. In between, one girl could not get a chance to speak so the prof asked us to stopped and asked her to speak about her opinion. After that topic, they let each one of us speak a few words abt our profile (out of 6 ppl, 5 ppl had > 5 yr exp). Just usual stuff.
After that, we were asked to list 2 points why we should get selected and one point why the insti should not take us (something like a shortcoming). They really expected to pinpoint specific qualities and not beat around the busy. Then we got a chance to question them about the program. I initially asked them, "What about your placement process for this one year program? I have browsed the web site and also had been to many discussion forums but could not get any useful info", the prof said, "Even we dont know about that because we have just started the program...:wow: ". After that, others also asked about the program but I couldnt concentrate. Overall, it was okay but I somehow felt I could have performed better.
Then, for the second round, they split ourbatch of 6 into two and mixed us with another 3 of another batch. Then we were sent into another room where there were two other prof (one was the gentleman who runs SPJ Dubai, both were very good in questioning). The second round was more of they asking us questions and we answering them. This time, they had the printout of all that we had submitted so far i.e. the initialy form that was filled up in the web site and our profile details (which we were asked to fill up through an email from the insti forthe shortlisted candidates, this form had the essay on why MBA) and they picked up questions from them. Notable amongst their questions were "Why did you apply for SPJ one year program and why didnt you apply for two yr program, and why do you need an MBA now that you are working anyway", this question needed a lot of justification to be done from our side. Toughie.... and then, "You are going to someplace for some urgent work and you see two people fighting, what would you do"... Then, we were asked, where do we see ourselves 5 yrs from now and then long term plan. Those who want to say I want to start a business, be careful, they grill those kind ofpeople badly. Further questions were based on how we answered them. Then there was this lady candidate from Hospitality industry and she invited lot of questioning on why she wants to join ESPECIALLY BECAUSE FOR THIS COURSE, THEY EXPECT PEOPLE WHO HAVE TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE IN COMPUTER SOFTWARE ONLY ... finally she seemed to get tired of all the questioning and she said, "I have applied to this course because I know I can excel but if the insti can decide whatever it wants to"... There was this gentleman from SAP who had a lot of extracurr, like physics, astrology, guitar, etc... man!!!! they questioning him very badly but he answered them very well. i think his case is sure shot entry... finally, they kept giving some funda abt theone year program but I was already feeling drowsy...
had to break for a short lunch and then for the one hour test... it was like CAT only but with less difficulty... overall, it wasok experience. Looks like results will be out in another two weeks... keeping my fingers crossed...
Hi all,
My interview and test for the one year MBA at SPJ was schedld on 3rd dec at the institute campus in mumbai (For this i had to fly from chennai to mumbai and had to go through much ordeal... i will write abt that in a separate thread)
My interview experiences below,
I had to two interviews on 3rd and they were scheduled between 10:15 to 11:15 and second between 11:30 to 12:30. My written test (because I had not taken CAT and GMAT, so had to take up their test) was scheduled between 01:30 to 03:30 pm, but later it was converted to a CAT like test for just one hour.
As you all are probably aware, at SPJ, there is only Group interview and not a separate PI. (They said it is the only insti so far to have a group int, phew... how does it matter, we get screwed anyway).
At first, randomly they picked about 6 of the students and sent us to a room where we had two professors sitting there and also were two first year 2 yr program students (possibly to judge our participation, i think) and at start, they asked to a group talk (the prof again reminded that it is not a GD) about this, "This year recently India's GDP is 8% which was above expectations, how to interpret this" and without any sort of preparation (I wanted to write some notes about the topic andthen start talking), they let us do the talking (yes, not discuss). Ofcouse, it was just as chaotic (may be not that bad) and we all spoke about everthing in this world other than what the prof asked us to do. In between, one girl could not get a chance to speak so the prof asked us to stopped and asked her to speak about her opinion. After that topic, they let each one of us speak a few words abt our profile (out of 6 ppl, 5 ppl had > 5 yr exp). Just usual stuff.
After that, we were asked to list 2 points why we should get selected and one point why the insti should not take us (something like a shortcoming). They really expected to pinpoint specific qualities and not beat around the busy. Then we got a chance to question them about the program. I initially asked them, "What about your placement process for this one year program? I have browsed the web site and also had been to many discussion forums but could not get any useful info", the prof said, "Even we dont know about that because we have just started the program...:wow: ". After that, others also asked about the program but I couldnt concentrate. Overall, it was okay but I somehow felt I could have performed better.
Then, for the second round, they split ourbatch of 6 into two and mixed us with another 3 of another batch. Then we were sent into another room where there were two other prof (one was the gentleman who runs SPJ Dubai, both were very good in questioning). The second round was more of they asking us questions and we answering them. This time, they had the printout of all that we had submitted so far i.e. the initialy form that was filled up in the web site and our profile details (which we were asked to fill up through an email from the insti forthe shortlisted candidates, this form had the essay on why MBA) and they picked up questions from them. Notable amongst their questions were "Why did you apply for SPJ one year program and why didnt you apply for two yr program, and why do you need an MBA now that you are working anyway", this question needed a lot of justification to be done from our side. Toughie.... and then, "You are going to someplace for some urgent work and you see two people fighting, what would you do"... Then, we were asked, where do we see ourselves 5 yrs from now and then long term plan. Those who want to say I want to start a business, be careful, they grill those kind ofpeople badly. Further questions were based on how we answered them. Then there was this lady candidate from Hospitality industry and she invited lot of questioning on why she wants to join ESPECIALLY BECAUSE FOR THIS COURSE, THEY EXPECT PEOPLE WHO HAVE TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE IN COMPUTER SOFTWARE ONLY ... finally she seemed to get tired of all the questioning and she said, "I have applied to this course because I know I can excel but if the insti can decide whatever it wants to"... There was this gentleman from SAP who had a lot of extracurr, like physics, astrology, guitar, etc... man!!!! they questioning him very badly but he answered them very well. i think his case is sure shot entry... finally, they kept giving some funda abt theone year program but I was already feeling drowsy...
had to break for a short lunch and then for the one hour test... it was like CAT only but with less difficulty... overall, it wasok experience. Looks like results will be out in another two weeks... keeping my fingers crossed...

Well dude, very enlightening post for a novice, however, I find that all the queries put forward to different candidates are qs. that I am very well aware about. It just depends how well a person is prepared to answer those qs. You see, as for myself, I do self-introspection and have prepared a qs. bank of about 3000 qs. I ask myself a qs. and try to frame answers in my context, depending upon my CV. I've personally appeared for 5-6 GD/PI's so far. Qs. like why do you want to join this program/institute, where you see yourself in 5 yrs., a situation based qs. as mentioned above should have been expected and even suitable answers framed much before the interview. How well you were prepared to face the unexpected, I'm not sure, since you have not mentioned that aspect, however, best of luck to you for a final call.
Also, I'm aware that SPJAIN has a so called "Group Interview" where a topic is given, and kinda' fish market usually results. Wonder why SPJ calls it that. It is just like a GD, you may have realized. SPJ also has a fetish to select candidates in a kind of "exceptional field", like a merchant navy guy, I know of , or a SAP guy you've mentioned, it could be a biotech expert too, you see, super-specialization kinds. You could come across any number of IT experts nowadays, but very few SAP guys, you're getting my point. It pays SPJ to select such candidates, makes placements for these kinds very easy, and then SPJ can crow that its at par with the IIMs (That's a part of strategy at this institute). Its these guys who are grilled really hard, asked most of the qs. as SPJ has usually already made up its mind to select such a guy, the grilling part not withstanding.

Hey Scorpion
Do you have a soft copy of the 3000 Qs that you have prepared.In case you have, wud be grt if you cud post it otherwise maybe you cud jot down some of them.we could discuss it and get some insights into each other's prowess at answering Qs.

Hey Scorpion
Do you have a soft copy of the 3000 Qs that you have prepared.In case you have, wud be grt if you cud post it otherwise maybe you cud jot down some of them.we could discuss it and get some insights into each other's prowess at answering Qs.

In good time, mate, in good time. Let's just get over with a few more exams till FMS test, after then plunge fully into the GD/PI battle arena. Right now, concentrate and try to maximize scores in written tests.