SPJain PGDSM MIT calls

Hi puys, I had applied for the 2 year programme at SPJ. But dint recieve the call for that. Instead they have send me a call for their PGDSM-MIT programme. I am starting this thread for discussing the details about this program, since it is a…

Hi puys,

I had applied for the 2 year programme at SPJ. But dint recieve the call for that. Instead they have send me a call for their PGDSM-MIT programme. I am starting this thread for discussing the details about this program, since it is a totally new program and not many are aware of the full details.

This is the mail I received.

We are pleased to inform you that you have been short-listed for personal / group interview for admission to our Post Graduate Diploma in Systems Management - Master's in Information Technology (PGDSM MIT) programme.

Interview venue : Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Kendra, FA-III, Salt Lake, Calcutta-700 097
Date : 26th Feb
Time : 9:00 AM

Request your confirmation by a return mail.

Please note that if you have not taken any entrance exam, then depending on your interview performance you will be asked to take an exam on the same day.

You are required to bring your original certificates, marksheets and entrance exam score sheet (wherever applicable) together with this letter for the interview.

The first list of selected candidates as per the merit will be put up on the website. Candidates shall be informed by courier/e-mail.

Selected candidates will be required to deposit the following amount (first installment) latest by 5 p.m. on March 24, 2006, towards tuition fee, reading material and library fees.
1. $4,250 (first installment out of $8,500) favoring 'The Treasurer, Virginia Tech Polytechnic Institute and State University', Payable at Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
2. DD for Rs. 1,00,000/- (first installment out of Rs. 1,75,000/-) plus Rs. 28,000/- appx for 3 seater accomodation in Hostel (the fees under review) favouring "S. P. Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai"

Wish you all the best!

Dipali Manjrekar
PGDSM MIT Admissions
SPJIMR - VT PGDSM MIT Program
Center for Information Technology
S. P. Jain Institute of Management & Research
(B)+91-22-2623 7454 / 0396 Extn: 240
(D)+91-22-2625 4013

Upon speaking to a friend of mine doing the normal PGP course at SP, it appeared as if this new program was more technical in nature and of course too expensive. However, I reckon that no harm shall be done in going for the interview. We can always decide not to go for the program.

Now, it would be good that all people who have received this call pour in their thoughts and views and people at SPJain already doing this course throw some light on this program.

Hi puys,

I had applied for the 2 year programme at SPJ. But dint recieve the call for that. Instead they have send me a call for their PGDSM-MIT programme. I am starting this thread for discussing the details about this program, since it is a totally new program and not many are aware of the full details.

This is the mail I received.

We are pleased to inform you that you have been short-listed for personal / group interview for admission to our Post Graduate Diploma in Systems Management - Master's in Information Technology (PGDSM MIT) programme.

Interview venue : Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Kendra, FA-III, Salt Lake, Calcutta-700 097
Date : 26th Feb
Time : 9:00 AM

Request your confirmation by a return mail.

Please note that if you have not taken any entrance exam, then depending on your interview performance you will be asked to take an exam on the same day.

You are required to bring your original certificates, marksheets and entrance exam score sheet (wherever applicable) together with this letter for the interview.

The first list of selected candidates as per the merit will be put up on the website. Candidates shall be informed by courier/e-mail.

Selected candidates will be required to deposit the following amount (first installment) latest by 5 p.m. on March 24, 2006, towards tuition fee, reading material and library fees.
1. $4,250 (first installment out of $8,500) favoring 'The Treasurer, Virginia Tech Polytechnic Institute and State University', Payable at Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
2. DD for Rs. 1,00,000/- (first installment out of Rs. 1,75,000/-) plus Rs. 28,000/- appx for 3 seater accomodation in Hostel (the fees under review) favouring "S. P. Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai"

Wish you all the best!

Dipali Manjrekar
PGDSM MIT Admissions
SPJIMR - VT PGDSM MIT Program
Center for Information Technology
S. P. Jain Institute of Management & Research
(B)+91-22-2623 7454 / 0396 Extn: 240
(D)+91-22-2625 4013

Upon speaking to a friend of mine doing the normal PGP course at SP, it appeared as if this new program was more technical in nature and of course too expensive. However, I reckon that no harm shall be done in going for the interview. We can always decide not to go for the program.

Now, it would be good that all people who have received this call pour in their thoughts and views and people at SPJain already doing this course throw some light on this program.

hi dude,
me in the same boat of uncertainity
not yet decided on it
wat r ure plans?? will u be attendin the intvw??

Same here people.
my interview is in Moombhai.
How do we find out more details about the course/placements etc?

am going for the interview though.

there is no mention of track I or track II in the interview mail.

i'd appreciate it if you;d post ur profiles.
me:
mech engg 2003.
IT : since '03 in ERP applications.

thanks

Joshi

Hi,
I also applied for the 2 yr program, but got this one instead.I went throught the SP site and found the following:
"The erstwhile Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT) program has been enhanced to PGDSM MIT "

Also the Track-1 course(for 2 yr work ex people) mentions the following:

The Track I participants, who are desirous of pursuing the course yet continuing to work in their organizations, are required to visit campus for VT contacts with VT Faculty at Mumbai for 4 days each time for ten VT Courses and 6 SPJIMR course i.e., for a total of 64 days. These contacts are generally spaced 6 weeks apart thereby ensuring less interruption to work. The six SPJIMR courses (24 days contact) can be done over 12 weekend contact sessions conducted by SPJIMR at Bangalore / Mumbai to give participants ease of scheduling learning while remaining at their work place during one and half year cycle. Two weekend contacts for dissertation guidance and presentation are also scheduled. The program therefore comprises of 68 days of physical contact sessions and forty weeks of online sessions using Centra symposium, over the one and a half year period.
The on-campus students join the class of the professionals during contact phases. In between contacts, the Professionals carry out exercises and assignments in their respective companies, while, the on-campus students carry out exercises in institute labs and project assignments with select IT Industry Partners.

What you guys are going to do?? My desire was to leave my current job, and go for MBA!
Now what is this??

I forgot..my profile:
Work-ex :2.6 IT industry
Ed:BE(Computer Sc)

Hi,
I also applied for the 2 yr program, but got this one instead.I went throught the SP site and found the following:
"The erstwhile Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT) program has been enhanced to PGDSM MIT "

Also the Track-1 course(for 2 yr work ex people) mentions the following:

The Track I participants, who are desirous of pursuing the course yet continuing to work in their organizations, are required to visit campus for VT contacts with VT Faculty at Mumbai for 4 days each time for ten VT Courses and 6 SPJIMR course i.e., for a total of 64 days. These contacts are generally spaced 6 weeks apart thereby ensuring less interruption to work. The six SPJIMR courses (24 days contact) can be done over 12 weekend contact sessions conducted by SPJIMR at Bangalore / Mumbai to give participants ease of scheduling learning while remaining at their work place during one and half year cycle. Two weekend contacts for dissertation guidance and presentation are also scheduled. The program therefore comprises of 68 days of physical contact sessions and forty weeks of online sessions using Centra symposium, over the one and a half year period.
The on-campus students join the class of the professionals during contact phases. In between contacts, the Professionals carry out exercises and assignments in their respective companies, while, the on-campus students carry out exercises in institute labs and project assignments with select IT Industry Partners.

What you guys are going to do?? My desire was to leave my current job, and go for MBA!
Now what is this??

I forgot..my profile:
Work-ex :2.6 IT industry
Ed:BE(Computer Sc)

hi people,
yep ive decided to attend the intvw(atleast as an xperience for two more intvws scheduled in march)
wats said bout the track2 prgm??
not yet decided bout takin the course though
as for my profile
BE (E&C;)
IT xperience (2 yrs 7 months)
my centre is b'lore
any b'loreans out ter??

hi folks,
myself as well pondering over that ...
neway planning to attend the interview...
Still I'm uncertain....

Hi All,
I have also got a call from SPJIMR for this course....Can anybody tell how many call in all have they send....and also whether this is a full time course or part time.

I am in bangalore city. we could meet up sometime.

and i too would like to quit the job and pursue the course.

i'd appreciate any insights into the highly technical aspects of the course.

i guess on completion we're all looking at analyst, consultant type roles in the IT sector.

comments..

thanks,

joshi

Hi

All those who have got a call please share your knowledge abt the program....

Whats the pedagogy like..from what i cud make out people with more than 2 years of work ex wud join this course along with the working in their companies. Does that mean its like a part time course.

What bt people with less than 2 years of work ex.?

Any PGDSM Student on the forum please enlighten us abt the course, placements, pedagogy!!!

thanks and regards
manik

guys check out
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/virginia-tech-spjimrs-masters-in-information-technology-program-25007940

hope that helps..
i have the interview on 24th feb morn kolkata salt lakeblahblah 10:00 a.m..however i have SPJCM GMBA interview on 25th in mumbai..so i am in soup..asked both to consider a plan for me...

:)
my profile:
IIT KGP grad 2004
work-ex : 1.8 months approx

cheers

i had also applied for the 2 year course but got call for PGDSM MIT ... donno why they chosen me for this ... i hav 95.36%ile in CAT ... Mech & NIT background ... and 19 months work ex in L&T; as of now in Design field ...

but software is sth .. not my cup of tea ..

Still i will attend interview ...
its on 25th Feb. ... 9 AM at Kolkata blablabla...

Anybody on same date and place ... pls reply.

Amit.
i had also applied for the 2 year course but got call for PGDSM MIT ... donno why they chosen me for this ... i hav 95.36%ile in CAT ... Mech & NIT background ... and 19 months work ex in L&T; as of now in Design field ...
Amit.
just go to spjimr site and check out the profiles of people of last year. Mostly this course will have lot of technical learning

Hi Guys,

Me too got the PGDSM-MIT call..

Thing is that what needs to be prepared specifically for this interview???

Profile : BE(IT)
Workex : 2 yr 4months in software.

KYa karein kya na karein????

IMP : I called up SPJ's office, the lady told me that those who apply for 2yr PGDBM are also considered for this PGDSM-MIT thing and eventually these calls in our bags !!!

Hi puys,

As far as I am concerned, what I have decided is that I will definitely go for the interview. There is no harm done.... we can always choose not to join the course if we feel like.

As far as my profile is concerned I have about 28 mths of software industry exp ... have done my engg from MIT, manipal and passed out in 2003.

My XAT score was 98 %ile ...

In my first post, I have mentioned that I have a few friends doing the normal 2 year PGP course in SPJ ... so I have been able to get the fone number of a guy who is in the MIT course. I will be calling him up and will revrert back after getting more details.

For now, the general perception is that it is more technically oreinted and meant for hardcore I.T. guys who wanna get back to the IT world as a Biz Analyst or the types ...

My only point of concern was the fees and its worth. I am not sure as to whether it is worth paying close to 7 lacs for this program coz apparently the placements though guaranteed, might not be that lucrative and high profile as the normal MBA course.

This feedback is from people doing the normal 2 year MBA program @SPJ.

In my view, if someone were to do a technical masters degree, he might as well take up GRE and fly down to the US. An MS from US would be better and cheaper, I guess.

However, if someone is decided to stay in India and work in the Indian IT firms, he should give this one a serious thought.

More ideas and views welcome ...

Hi Guys,

Im also kinda confused on what to do with this ! As of now have decided to attend the interview , then will think about the rest later.
Looks like a mix of MS and MBA !

My Profile :
B.E. (Electrical & Electronics) - 2003
been in IT industry for last 2.5 yrs

Another problem , i saw was that if chosen , u need to pay 1 lac fee by 24 March , thats much before IIM/other B-school results come out
I had a single IIM interview which is over ; but results will coem only in April.

Would be gr8 if someone cud get the views of ppl already doing this course
~Anush

Hi Guys,

Im also kinda confused on what to do with this ! As of now have decided to attend the interview , then will think about the rest later.
Looks like a mix of MS and MBA !

My Profile :
B.E. (Electrical & Electronics) - 2003
been in IT industry for last 2.5 yrs

Another problem , i saw was that if chosen , u need to pay 1 lac fee by 24 March , thats much before IIM/other B-school results come out
I had a single IIM interview which is over ; but results will coem only in April.

Would be gr8 if someone cud get the views of ppl already doing this course
~Anush

hi all,

i too applied for PGDBM but got call for PGDSM-MIT.

I am having 33 months experience in steel manufacturing industry as an electrical maintenance engineer. I am not at all related to IT field. I donno why these SPJAIN guys shortlisted me for this course.

I am basically from B.Tech(electrical electronics)-2003 batch.

The course costs about 6.2laks for the two years while the PGDBM is about 5.53lakhs.

I am planning to go for the interview on March 5th at 4 pm in Mumbai.

This is going to be the second batch of this course. The first batch is having PLACEMENTS int he month of APRIL,source from the site.

Guys, just chip in with some info if u have regarding the course.

bye

Srvessar

Hey ppl,

am trying to get some info thru a friend's friend's friend who is in this course. :P

but another 3rd party in spjain has commented that its a good course.

about the placements after this course . as per the details in the site-->
there is a 4 month internship program after which the incumbents get confirmed ??
something like that. your comments....

will post any other information i get on this course and plcements.

cheers,
joshi

Amit.

hi all

i too have a call for the PGDSM MIT course......As of now i know nothing(except what is up on the website) about the course.......
i have no work ex.....just graduated 2005 in Electronics and Communication Engineering....

Hey Amit my interview is also on 25th FEb in Kolkata however my timing is 11 am......
Hey ANY idea as to whether there will be a group discussion or something or will there only be personal interviews????? Hey anybody who knows somebody who knows anybody who's doing the course...please do ask them what kind of interview should we expect......is it gonna be technical?????? :

:dontgeti:

does anyone know on what basis they've given these calls?? iv got a cat score of 94.1 %ile....n i certainly hadnt applied for this course. is it dat they are so desperate for ppl, they're giving calls to everyone?