SP Jain 1 yr PGP Final Call

I received an email admission offer today from SPJain for this 1 year course. Though I would have loved to get the email for 2 year course, but that has not happened so far. I hope that getting this email atleast means that I have cleared the inte…

I received an email admission offer today from SPJain for this 1 year course. Though I would have loved to get the email for 2 year course, but that has not happened so far. I hope that getting this email atleast means that I have cleared the interviews so as to still hope for the 2 year course.
Anyways now if I donot get thru the 2 year course, I will have to decide about the 1 year course. I have got this offer for IM. Here is the course content

TermModule

Prior to ArrivalPre-Foundation (Prerequisite)

Objective: Self-Study to ensure uniform proficiency of the participants

Topics:

1. Quantitative Methods
  2. Managerial Economics
  3. Financial Accounting
FoundationFoundation

Objective: Basic tool-kit for managerial decision making

Topics:
  1. Quantitative Methods
  2. Financial Accounting /Costing
  3. ManagerialEconomics
  4. Communication & Negotiation Skills
Term 1Functional Management

Objective: Building blocks for management discipline - functional subjects

Topics:
  1. Operations Management
  2. Financial Management
  3. Marketing
  4. IT in Business
  5. People and Performance
Diwali Break
Term IIIntegration & General Management

Objective: Multifunctional and holistic view of business and management

Topics:
  1. Business Environment
  2. International Business
  3. Leadership and Change
  4. Management
  5. Business Strategy
Term IIIFunctional Specialization

Objective: In-depth study of selected area

Topics in Manufacturing & Operations Management Area:
  1. Basics of Supply Chain Management
  2. Enterprise Solutions
  3. Project Management
  4. World Class Manufacturing
  5. Operations Strategy
  6. Strategic Cost Management
Topics in Information Management Area:
  1. IT Infrastructure Management
  2. Enterprise Solutions Architecture
  3. Global Information Systems Communication & Connectivity
  4. IT & Business Transformation
  5. Project Management
  6. Integrating Information Systems: Technology, Strategies & Organizational Factors
Term IVCareer-Focus Customization

Objective: Customized study for role and domain. It is offered across 5 parallel tracks (or Career Roles) in each area of specialization

Career Roles in Manufacturing & Operations AreaCareer Roles in Information Management Area- Supply Chain Manager
- Functional Consultant ERP/SCM Implementation
- Operations Consultant
- Manufacturing/Project Manager
- Service Operations Manager

- Business Analyst
- Business Development Manager
- IT Consultant
-IT Manager
-IT Services Manager Term VProject Work / Internship

I would be really grateful if people could post their suggestions on the course content as that would make my decision a bit more easier. This is the only call I have so far and not sure about JB. I have 4.8 yrs work ex in IT, most probably planning to return back to same company. Cat %ile is 94.98.

Hi congrats man .... finally u got a call .. so u r joining it or not .. the course looks pretty good similar to the 2 yr course .... and placements should also be good ... best of luck

mbabuster Says
Hi congrats man .... finally u got a call .. so u r joining it or not .. the course looks pretty good similar to the 2 yr course .... and placements should also be good ... best of luck

thnx yaar...though i wud have loved to see the 2 yr email....which is still my dream...i haven;t yet decided whether to go for this or not .....will talk to some people in my company and also outside and than decide.....also i am not sure how many people wud take this course as the notification came out pretty late.....also I am worried that if I confirm for this course wud that mean that i am out of the 2 yr ka race....i still want the 2 yr course .....lets see will talk to parents today and than decide....

Congrats dude!

On the grps, there is a poll on regarding what people with both calls(1yr PGP and 2yr PGP) are choosing. That will give you names of some more people who have 1yr PGP calls. You can discuss with them. Should help you take that decision.

please junta throw in your suggestion......i am very confused whether i should go for this course or not please shed some light....

hi ajain.
Has this course been introduced for the first time this year?
If it has been there , find out the Placement / Summers statistics n experience from students.
If this is a new course , check out the prospects of students who hav done a 1 yr course in some of the other good B schools,
Even if the course has all the features of a normal 2 yr course , its how the industry responds to it that matters.

Ur age and the ability to prepare once again are also important factors.

Guess, this waz useful.

~pradeep~

ajain Says
please junta throw in your suggestion......i am very confused whether i should go for this course or not please shed some light....

hi ,
i think u shld go for the course
basically for two reasons
1) U have sufficient experience in IT field to learn all there is to learn in one year itself
2) I am pretty sure placements will be as good as the 2 year course bcaus all the laterals will tend to come to this course ...since the experience is so high in this case ...maybe thats why
sp has started it ....to create a parity between sufficient work ex people and those who dont have that much work ex
hope my views were of some help
all the very best
regards
nikhil
hi ajain.
Has this course been introduced for the first time this year?
If it has been there , find out the Placement / Summers statistics n experience from students.
If this is a new course , check out the prospects of students who hav done a 1 yr course in some of the other good B schools,
Even if the course has all the features of a normal 2 yr course , its how the industry responds to it that matters.

Ur age and the ability to prepare once again are also important factors.

Guess, this waz useful.

~pradeep~

its a new course....my biggest worry here is they shud not be looking to just fill the seats for the sake of starting this course....personally donot know anyone who has done a 1 yr course thats why thought of posting it here.....i am trying to ask for some inputs from the HR in my place....Also afaik previously only ISB used to offer 1 yr courses but i know this year A, C are also starting such courses....

summers don't exists for this course as it is to be completed in 1 yr. and i completely agree with u...ultimately it is the industry who will decide whether to accept such courses and thats why need inputs from junta who are currently working and can shed some light on this aspect as well.
its a new course....my biggest worry here is they shud not be looking to just fill the seats for the sake of starting this course....personally donot know anyone who has done a 1 yr course thats why thought of posting it here.....i am trying to ask for some inputs from the HR in my place....Also afaik previously only ISB used to offer 1 yr courses but i know this year A, C are also starting such courses....

summers don't exists for this course as it is to be completed in 1 yr. and i completely agree with u...ultimately it is the industry who will decide whether to accept such courses and thats why need inputs from junta who are currently working and can shed some light on this aspect as well.

hey ajain ....
this is mayank here .... if u recall, sometime back u had mailed me the spj questionaire ...
well, i need one more help from u .... i've PMed u .... could u reply to it ...

Mayank

Hey Amit,
Congratulations man.. der se hi sahi, Sp finally recognised ur worth.:)

If i had been at ur place, i wud have choosen the course:

Why?
1. It's a 1yr course, so i wud b saving 1 yr & wud start earning 1 yr early.
2. As one of the pre-requisites is 5+ yr workex, one wud b learning/interacting with people who have a lot of exp & this definitely helps. (chk the profile of students before rejecting the offer)
3. Placements won't b a problem. Infact companies coming for lateral placement wud prefer to recruit a 5yr+ exp guy than a 2-3 yr exp guy.
4. SP Mgmt wud be taking more efforts & pains to make sure that the students get the best of education (on lines of ISB/A/C). So the course is goin to get a royal treatment.

regards,
ashish

Hey Amit,
Congratulations man.. der se hi sahi, Sp finally recognised ur worth.:)

If i had been at ur place, i wud have choosen the course:

Why?
1. It's a 1yr course, so i wud b saving 1 yr & wud start earning 1 yr early.
2. As one of the pre-requisites is 5+ yr workex, one wud b learning/interacting with people who have a lot of exp & this definitely helps. (chk the profile of students before rejecting the offer)
3. Placements won't b a problem. Infact companies coming for lateral placement wud prefer to recruit a 5yr+ exp guy than a 2-3 yr exp guy.
4. SP Mgmt wud be taking more efforts & pains to make sure that the students get the best of education (on lines of ISB/A/C). So the course is goin to get a royal treatment.

regards,
ashish

Hi ,

almost 1 and half years have passed and we are at the start of another session . The big question is ' Did AJAIN join the course ? ' . If Ajain is around pls revert . It will be very informative if we get some 1st hand reply from someone who has already been thru the untrodden path .
Personally I find this course interesting .
All coments are welcome .

thnx n rgds
Hi ,

almost 1 and half years have passed and we are at the start of another session . The big question is ' Did AJAIN join the course ? ' . If Ajain is around pls revert . It will be very informative if we get some 1st hand reply from someone who has already been thru the untrodden path .
Personally I find this course interesting .
All coments are welcome .

thnx n rgds

I did join SPJain and completed it successfully as well...now have also started working with a new organization as well...
ajain Says
I did join SPJain and completed it successfully as well...now have also started working with a new organization as well...

Hi Ajain ,

Its great that you are back in this thread after such a long time and many congratulations to you !
I am also planning to do 1 year MBA from some reputed institutes this session . During my quest for information I found that the 1 year programme in ISB , IIMA & C are on top of the list and the recently launched IIML version is also attracting good attention but surprisingly SPJ , MDI and IMT although always in top ten lists for their 2 year programmes are not very popular for their 1 year version .
What do you think is the difference between this 1 year programme in SPJ and those in ISB , IIMA and IIMC ?
My profile :
B.Tech in Textile Technology
Acads : Avg
Co Curricular : not much
Work ex : 5.5 yrs
Sector - Garment export
Profile - Sourcing fabrics for various buyers from India and abroad .

I am interested in operations but can I shift sector laterally after doing 1 year programme ? Also what is the cutoff CAT / XAT score for 1 year at SPJ ?
Your inputs will be invaluable .

thnx n rgds
Hi Ajain ,

Its great that you are back in this thread after such a long time and many congratulations to you !
I am also planning to do 1 year MBA from some reputed institutes this session . During my quest for information I found that the 1 year programme in ISB , IIMA & C are on top of the list and the recently launched IIML version is also attracting good attention but surprisingly SPJ , MDI and IMT although always in top ten lists for their 2 year programmes are not very popular for their 1 year version .
What do you think is the difference between this 1 year programme in SPJ and those in ISB , IIMA and IIMC ?
My profile :
B.Tech in Textile Technology
Acads : Avg
Co Curricular : not much
Work ex : 5.5 yrs
Sector - Garment export
Profile - Sourcing fabrics for various buyers from India and abroad .

I am interested in operations but can I shift sector laterally after doing 1 year programme ? Also what is the cutoff CAT / XAT score for 1 year at SPJ ?
Your inputs will be invaluable .

thnx n rgds

sp jain's course is quite good
i m joining this course from Jan 2008. People in my batch have have quite profile & also gud CAT/XAT/GMAT marks.so course is worth joining. 1 yr prog have become quite popular with people having work ex. only diff between 1 & 2 yr prog is abscence of internships & sem breaks. so theoretical part is same as u can see.
ya u can shift sector but this will require efforts from ur side (this is true even if u do a 2 yr programme). this course has gained same prestige as of ISB/IIM/A/C

Please dont use threads for your personal queries....Thread is getting closed (Old Thread)

prem_ravi Says
Please dont use threads for your personal queries....Thread is getting closed (Old Thread)

Hi Ravi ,

thnx for enlighting ! Pls advise some threads where I can get information about IMT , MDI and SP JAIN one year programmes ? Best if you can help me .

thnx n rgds

hi boss, can i have any cut off marks for this 1 year.
i've 4 yrs exp.from a reputed organization in india.

is there family hostel for the course