Soft Skills Training

Hi Guys, This is my first post, so would welcome any guidance feedback apart from the query below. My concern “Soft Skills Training”. What do you think of institutes providing soft skills training in our country today. I see a lot o…

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so would welcome any guidance feedback apart from the query below.

My concern "Soft Skills Training".

What do you think of institutes providing soft skills training in our country today. I see a lot of corporate houses undertaking this training for their people who need to brush up their english, or business communication etc. Do you think this is effective?

Are there any large or national players in india today. I mean organised players? Is their course effective? Are they specialied or generalised in their training?

Would appreciate if someone can give insight on this as i know a few colleagues and family who would benefit immensly with correct information.

Thanx.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so would welcome any guidance feedback apart from the query below.

My concern "Soft Skills Training".

What do you think of institutes providing soft skills training in our country today. I see a lot of corporate houses undertaking this training for their people who need to brush up their english, or business communication etc. Do you think this is effective?

Are there any large or national players in india today. I mean organised players? Is their course effective? Are they specialied or generalised in their training?

Would appreciate if someone can give insight on this as i know a few colleagues and family who would benefit immensly with correct information.

Thanx.

I've attended some soft skills training programs myself...paid by my company of course! the first was a 5-day residential program when i joined as a fresher in an MNC and then a few one-day training programs in my small firm.

Personally, i dont find much value-add from these programs...these are fancy frills that companies use to keep their employees amused, with words like "motivation", "grooming", "social skills" etc thrown in to good measure. Neither I, nor any of my colleagues who attended these programs with me, have ever followed most of the stuff taught at these workshops. We nodded religiously at the "Grooming" workshop, but rarely ever wore belts matching with our shoes or socks in of same hue as our trousers. Neither did we start using forks and knives for eating desi food after the "Etiquettes" workshop...and we still dont tip more than 5 bucks at restaurants After the "Time Management" workshop, we tried making To-do lists and fancy schedules before our day began, but the nature of our work is so on-the-fly that we were actually wasting time preparing schedules that we knew we couldnt follow!

I dont think one should spend his own money on soft skills training becoz:

1. These programs are ridiculously expensive. The cost structure is targetted at corporates rather than individuals.

2. They add very little value

3. Very little practical applciation in real life

4. Same things can be learnt for free from self-help books and websites (most trainers recycle material straight out of websites and books themselves!!)

5. Spend money on gaining real skills and certifications rather than soft skills. Especially if you're a fresher or middle level employee, your hard skills matter much more than soft skills. At the top executive level, yes, you need critical soft skills.

I dont know of any big national players in this field, all the trainers whom i've trained under have been individual freelancers, with at the most 3-4 support staff. Even MNCs hire individual freelancers for soft skills (I dont think a large national soft skills training company will be a very profitable business prospect, honestly )
Crash_test_dummy Says
Personally, i dont find much value-add from these programs...these are fancy frills that companies use to keep their employees amused, with words like "motivation", "grooming", "social skills" etc thrown in to good measure.

Bang-on target CTD. I am witness to the same feelings as expressed by you as I have also attended many "mandatory" soft skills training workshops organized by my company. At the best, its a good TP and at the worst, it can bore a person to death.

CTD,

Think it this way. ow usefule would this be to people who are unemplyoed due to lack of such soft skills. for e.g. there is a person who is pretty good as far as his technical knowledge is concerned, however due to his poor communication ability or lower language proficiency, gets rejected for every job. How would it matter / benefit him?

Tumtum Says
Bang-on target CTD. I am witness to the same feelings as expressed by you as I have also attended many "mandatory" soft skills training workshops organized by my company. At the best, its a good TP and at the worst, it can bore a person to death.

Tumtum,

Think it this way. ow usefule would this be to people who are unemplyoed due to lack of such soft skills. for e.g. there is a person who is pretty good as far as his technical knowledge is concerned, however due to his poor communication ability or lower language proficiency, gets rejected for every job. How would it matter / benefit him?
Tumtum,

Hi guys, was just going through the last few posts in this thread...

I have been into training (soft-skills as well as technical skills) for graduating engineers form Kolkata... conducted some workshops for them.. and also conducted sessions for training in colleges..

Now that I am in an organization.. I have seen and heard about these soft skils training sessions..

My take..

It's all Glam!

I believe that THE only way to improve a person's soft skills is by making him / her SPEAK in front of an audience.. and help him ask questions in a forum in front of people... Not have some fancy US-educated motivator talking about how he helped X,Y,Z come out of his fears and taught him the art of Public Speaking..

The other things that happen in these workshops are that they will make you play some games and imbibe "skills" these into you...!

Again, I dont think that works.. if it were that easy... then we would all be playing these games all day and not discussing this on PG..!

Learning soft skills... or rather improving them is a matter of effort.. and it takes some time.. there are certain basic techniques which require a certain amt of discipline...!

And moreover, one must remember that a good communicator is not some1 who has a flawless accent or a rich vocab in his speech... rather it is some1 who can "convey" his thoughts to the opposite person..!

Amen!

i write this not coz i am a soft-skills trainer but coz i know and have experienced the changes such a training can bring about in one's own personality...well, shethronak, it's just not for the people who are not very educated or not very experienced but for them too who have been just about too (bookishly) educated and need a brush up with a communication skill set in order to groom themselves and be better presentable when they start speaking and it definitely doesnt point at a great accent but yes fluency of language is a must!! i say this because such trainings have brought about changes in me (majorly on confidence coz of the exposure it provides) and the employees that i have trained in my work-life..and yes i do agree with the fact that such trainings do tend to get more of a tp esp. with a lot of activities involved..but anyways the outcome is definitely positive as it brings people (read employees) together and on top of it, there definitely is a learnin, which is a wider view towards your immediate (work) profile...it all really depends upon the type of (practical) situations discussed and the dedication with which u attend the training..if you wish to enroll yourself for such a program then you must make sure that you precisely know where you wish to improve because there's a wide range of training-programs that are available...searchin through internet is a good option but then again u constantly need to know where u are going because net's a neverendin source and u need to have patience with constant focus ... the modules used in such trainings have already done that job for u 😃

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Soft skills

Best regards.

Hi

Gd aftn i would like to introduce myself as Mr Bharath from Bangalore i was with HP as consultant HR and Trainer and i moved on to IBM heading operations for training i quit IBM in 2007 since then i am catering training services for various sector in the field of Retails,ITES,Hotel chains and Aviation across India and abroad i have done plenty of programs for colleges like SIT,HKBS,Govt management collegeDon Bosco Institute of Technology i am certified trainer NEXT,Bangalore and IBM,US the modules which i have designed has been approved by major clients and i carry four university degrees if you can get me an batch to deliver program it would be

my pleasure

Thanks