Social Service and Charitable Initiatives in India

I see that a lot of you guys are interested in doing social service but dont know where or how to start . So i am opening this thread in which i invite members to post ideas for easily executable Social initiatives . My advice would be to start …

Idea #3

Goal : Light up lives in rural India
Most Indian villages lack basic facilities like water and electricity . Its a well known fact that most of India's interior villages are not connected to the countries power grid . People there rely on Kerosene lamp . Kerosene ends up costing around Rs400-500 /month and apart from pollution also causes a host of lung diseases .
An American entrepreneur has managed to come up with an ultra cheap green alternative . The D.Light Kiran is a solar powered lamp that costs just Rs 500 .Being solar powered there are no recurring charges and no pollution !

You can become a distributor and sell them to street hawkers who use Kerosene lamps by night or if you are adventurous go and sell them in remote villages and schools .

Requirement:
Initial capital that you will get back after the sale .
Time

Hey dude,

Glad to see this intiative. I work for a non-profit organisation, we exactly do the same thing, we have made a list of career options that a secondary school & higher secondary school student can opt for, ranging from joining Civil services, mass media to social work, Indian armed forces and ofcourse engg and medicine.In my state most of them end up pursuing engineering{ i guess there will be one typical course for every state}, so we thought this will be helpful for kids.

But we dint think of a PPT presentation, I am sure it will be exciting, atleast I jump out of my bed when it comes to career counselling. So your intiative has already added some more beef to our work:grin:. I will post our file which we distribute{ pamphlets} in schools and colleges, proly it might be helpful for others as well{ I mean those who want to educate kids}. Hope to come up with some new idea.

Adios
Shanker.

Hey dude,

I will post our file which we distribute{ pamphlets} in schools and colleges, proly it might be helpful for others as well{ I mean those who want to educate kids}. Hope to come up with some new idea.

Adios
Shanker.

Nice to meet like minded people . The advantage of being in India is that we have ready access to so many problems both big and small at such close proximity .
I did notice a different thread in which some guys were doing similar stuff . Maybe after a while we could co-ordinate our work so that we form a sort of pan-India organization .
The pamphlet idea is capital for those who cant get their hands on to a projector or large sized display .

And we could even interview eminent personalities from each field . I am sure they ll be more than happy to give us some time . And those video clips could be very useful for students .

I too think that students go through this tough phase to judge career nd those who dnt have any1 to guide suffer the most.They can definitely be helped.Infact I was planning to take such initiative for my school also(frm whr i did my schooling).

You could start by getting some like minded fellows and maybe rope in your favorite teacher .
Nice to meet like minded people . The advantage of being in India is that we have ready access to so many problems both big and small at such close proximity .
I did notice a different thread in which some guys were doing similar stuff . Maybe after a while we could co-ordinate our work so that we form a sort of pan-India organization .
The pamphlet idea is capital for those who cant get their hands on to a projector or large sized display .

And we could even interview eminent personalities from each field . I am sure they ll be more than happy to give us some time . And those video clips could be very useful for students .

Interviewing eminent personalities- Boss i die to do this kind of work, meeting diffferent people from different specilisations. But the problem is do they entertain us, { I have tried to do that, but most often I dint find people who love their profession}. However as u said "they will be more than happy", if it is so, that will be great for evrybody. I will work on finding a solution for this issue.

Cheers
Shanker.

The people you choose to approach and the method of your approach is very important .
I generally start with people i know and people who know people i know ... you get the idea right 😉 ....Business is all about contacts and this a great way to expand your network .
Are you trying to get this done alone ?....if so you should really think about getting people of your age group (from other fields) involved in this initiative .they may have contacts with their more accomplished seniors .

The people you choose to approach and the method of your approach is very important .

You are right , I will try to use my network for this work. Is anybody else ideating???
Recently I have read an article in outlook business, it was about a intiative by Standard charted bank and HDFC bank, they have donated a day's salary for funding construction of a school and other infrastructure, it had coste them 20 lakhs. It gave me few ideas. If anybody comes across such articles, please share it with everybody on this thread. One dot might lead to other and lets connect them all.

Tata
Shanker.

Idea #5

Goal: Take the Free Open Source Software (FOSS) initiative

This is a typical IT guy initiative .But you dont have to be from the IT field or know to code in order to support this initiative .There are many ways of getting involved . The easiest would be to join a community like that of Firefox or Linux .You get to convene meetings with like minded enthusiasts and execute projects to spread the word about FOSS and also fulfill certain other social commitments .By joining a community you get some support from that particular organization and community .
Alternatively you can set up an independent group promoting FOSS by going around schools and colleges and introducing Linux and FOSS softwares to the students and lab in-charge and urging them to switch to FOSS .
You could also try urging your state government to adopt FOSS into their School curriculum

Visit the respective community websites to get some more ideas .

Great to read the Posts...:cheerio::cheerio:

Few weeks back I tried forming a group of 4 friends in order to go to schools and teach them English,since that is one thing which clearly lacks among the children
from Govt schools and other Low grade schools. But my initial enthusiasm dint last long since not many came forward and we were discussing more about failures rather than success!!

One more idea is,As we all know that reading books is one of the best hobby one can have since it also improves the radar of knowledge one possesses. We can have a group which collects books from so many avid readers and then give it to
school children to encourage them to start reading. This requires volunteers and a Proper network.

I have been planning to join a NGO for contributing in some way or other,But havent done that..I hope i do in near future..
This site can help you find some NGO's in your city..
Karmayog .org NGOs Volunteers | NGO Services | CSR | Social Causes |Get involved in YOUR city and locality | For Concerned Citizens | Latest News from Newspapers | Times Of India | Indian Express | DNA | Mumbai Mirror The Hindu Economic Times

Few weeks back I tried forming a group of 4 friends in order to go to schools and teach them English,since that is one thing which clearly lacks among the children
from Govt schools and other Low grade schools. But my initial enthusiasm dint last long since not many came forward and we were discussing more about failures rather than success!!

unfortunately students do develop an extreme disliking and aversion towards subjects that they are weak in . There is no motivation for them to want to succeed . Blame it on our Examination system .
Students dont realize the importance of being proficient in English until their final year in college, so your chances of success were really slim .
lack of motivation from your target audience was the cause of failure in your case .
But i hope you dont give up ...
Try something new until you succeed .

and thanks for the link

excellent frnds nice to see taking intiative in social work,i also have interest in it,but lag behind due lack of support,i will definately help u as i can!

Great to read the Posts...:cheerio::cheerio:

We can have a group which collects books from so many avid readers and then give it to school children to encourage them to start reading. This requires volunteers and a Proper network.

I have been planning to join a NGO for contributing in some way or other,But havent done that..I hope i do in near future..
This site can help you find some NGO's in your city..

unfortunately students do develop an extreme disliking and aversion towards subjects that they are weak in . There is no motivation for them to want to succeed . Blame it on our Examination system .
Students dont realize the importance of being proficient in English until their final year in college, so your chances of success were really slim .
lack of motivation from your target audience was the cause of failure in your case .
But i hope you dont give up ...
Try something new until you succeed .

and thanks for the link

yes I too think that Adi your idea will work.But yes children do like thrillers or any story books like 5 point someone.I mean the books should be from the topics related to their lives.Most of us liked 5 point someone just bcoz it was similiar to our cases in college life.Inspiring books + short story books wid some enthu can work.I think so.
Indian_Noble Says
You could start by getting some like minded fellows and maybe rope in your favorite teacher .

Yes I tried something like this only, but the problem is that my native place is not very much developed in education resources.So all of my friends who are intrested are doing Grad from some other cities and wen we have gettogether on some occasions it is not possible.And teachers do need permanent support,so my all ideas for time being are awaited to be implemented.

Regrettably i know nobody . But there are many Delhi-ites here ,some may be definitely interested .Hope they volunteer ,its a great opportunity .

GLA University has earned the name and fame in the society not only because of its academics and placements but its social participation has a great role in it. This separates it from other Universities. A great initiative was taken by the NGO The Smile Revolution run by the students of GLA, when they celebrated holi with the children at Srijan, an orphanage home at Mathura. A great step by the university students to bring smile to the faces of children living there. All the students of the NGO actively participated in the celebration.