SMU Cox MBA 2011 Applicants

Hello, Welcome to all fresh MBA applicants to the Cox school of Business at Southern Methodist University. I am Gaurav Mehta, a first year MBA student at Cox. Please use this forum to talk about the admission process as you go through. I am h…

Hello,

Welcome to all fresh MBA applicants to the Cox school of Business at Southern Methodist University. I am Gaurav Mehta, a first year MBA student at Cox. Please use this forum to talk about the admission process as you go through. I am here to help you out in case you have a query. I will also try to rope in a few other first year MBA students at COX to handle your queries.

Enjoy the application process..

P.S. The views and suggestions given to you are endorsed only by the owner and are in no way affiliated to Cox or for that matter SMU.

Hi Gaurav,

Can you please post your profile?
What is the scope of management consulting in SMU COX?

Hi Gaurav,

Can you please post your profile?
What is the scope of management consulting in SMU COX?

My profile

GMAT - 700
Exp : 5.5 yrs IT consulting (1.5 years international experience)
Not much extra curricular..

Management Consulting is a big area with focus on Finance, Operations etc.. What area of consulting are you asking about? If you are talking of the top consulting firms like McKinsey, Bain, Booz etc then I can tell you that they don't really come to hire in SMU Cox. Infact these big names go primarily to top 10 US B schools. But, if you really have the skills, knowledge, confidence and attitude, you can land up in a job with these firms. We have a 2010 graduated guy who bagged an offer in McKinsey (though he is an american). So its upto you how you build your network and skills to land up in such firms. People from cox also land up in firms with likes of KPMG. I suggest you see the SMU Cox MBA website to see where people have found jobs in recent years...

Hi Gaurav

Thanks for the thread. Can you please tell about the scholarship opportunities at SMU Cox ? I have 680/5.5 and 3 yrs work exp at time of admission. I intend to get into IT operations post mba.

Hi Gaurav

Thanks for the thread. Can you please tell about the scholarship opportunities at SMU Cox ? I have 680/5.5 and 3 yrs work exp at time of admission. I intend to get into IT operations post mba.

As an indication, most of the indians in our batch are of IT background and the ones with scholarship have a score of 700 or upward.

Thanks for your response Gaurav!!!

Gaurav,
I have a nine year work ex but a GMAT of 660. Previous academics are strong and so is the work ex (entrepreneur). Do you think I should apply to cox with this profile? Pleae advise.
Thanku

Thanks Gaurav. And what are the scholarship percentage given on an average ? Also how are the placements in general post mba ? I know Dallas Tx is a good place for placements

Gaurav,
I have a nine year work ex but a GMAT of 660. Previous academics are strong and so is the work ex (entrepreneur). Do you think I should apply to cox with this profile? Pleae advise.
Thanku

Yes, go ahead an apply. You have a high work ex and a different work ex. I guess you can impress the adcom with your unique profile. I am sure it may help you compensate on the GMAT part...

All the best...
vibkapoo Says
Thanks Gaurav. And what are the scholarship percentage given on an average ? Also how are the placements in general post mba ? I know Dallas Tx is a good place for placements

By scholarship percentage on an average, you mean to ask for the entire class or a specific set of people? I believe you can easily pull out the average scholarship stuff from Business Week rankings...

The placements are a bit tough for the class of 2010. I have just started my MBA about a month ago and so haven't had much interaction with the class of 2010. However, of all the people I have met from class of 2010, most have managed to find some kind of work for now.

I suggest that you also contact the admissions committee at the Cox through mail and ask them the statistics of the placement of 2010 class...

Gaurav,
Thankyou so much for the advice.

Hi Gaurav,

I have a workex of 3 yrs in IT operations management.
I also have a significant number of extracurricular activities under my belt.
My GMAT score is 660.I am planning to apply for fall 2011.

I went through the student profiles in the SMU website,i understand that the avg GMAT required is 660.But, from this thread it seems to me like that most of the Indians have a score of 700+.
Can you let me know if my profile is competitive enough to get into SMU-COX or should i refrain from applying to SMU-COX.

Can you please throw some light on this.

Thanks and Regards,
-Ritish.

Hi Gaurav,

I have a workex of 3 yrs in IT operations management.
I also have a significant number of extracurricular activities under my belt.
My GMAT score is 660.I am planning to apply for fall 2011.

I went through the student profiles in the SMU website,i understand that the avg GMAT required is 660.But, from this thread it seems to me like that most of the Indians have a score of 700+.
Can you let me know if my profile is competitive enough to get into SMU-COX or should i refrain from applying to SMU-COX.

Can you please throw some light on this.

Thanks and Regards,
-Ritish.

I suggest you up your GMAT score since your years of exp is a bit on the lower side.. Again, getting an admit may not be that big a problem but getting a scholarship would be... Also SMU is an expensive school so you can do the maths...

Dear Gaurav,
I have a 3 yr Bcom degree.
GMAT 740
1.5 yrs with EY
1.5 with my family firm.
Wat do u think of my profile? my 3 yr degree in particular?

Hi,

I confused as to apply to cox or not as i have a low gmat score
My profile is as follows:

GMAT: 600 and 640
Acads: average 61% in engineering from VTU
Extra Curr: very good in college
Exp: 3 years with international trip
working in Financial Services Industry.

Can anyone please tell me of my chances of getting through ?

Thanks,
Arjun

Hey Gaurav, any idea why Cox hasn't put up the placement stats on the website like most other schools have?

hi flks ...applied to cox last week...haven't heard nething yet.

@ Hi Gaurav....are you taking still taking queries ?? Haven't seen your post after 1st week of sep !!

Need your feedback for few of my queries

Thanks ..Abhi

hi flks ...applied to cox last week...haven't heard nething yet.

@ Hi Gaurav....are you taking still taking queries ?? Haven't seen your post after 1st week of sep !!

Need your feedback for few of my queries

Thanks ..Abhi

Yeah, I am still around... There wasn't much activity on the thread and also I was having my Mod A exams..

Let me know what queries you have..

Regarding response for application submission.. It takes time.. The admission staff is traveling a lot these days..

Thanks..
Gaurav
Yeah, I am still around... There wasn't much activity on the thread and also I was having my Mod A exams..

Let me know what queries you have..

Regarding response for application submission.. It takes time.. The admission staff is traveling a lot these days..

Thanks..
Gaurav

OK..Before my query let me share my profile with you..
31M/ 6+ years WE/ 670GMAT/ 115 TOEFL..
EC- Excellent, Acads-OK 7.36/10, Btech(Metallurgy)/ITBHU

I am working for over six years in the Steel Industry within different Tata Group companies....what are the post hiring prospects from SMU COX for me in steel and steel related - Automobile, White Goods, etc. - industries ?

Also, I feel there would not be too many candidates applying from steel industry so would that convert to my advantage ?