SJMSOM IIT Bombay Final Placements 2008

FLOURISHING PLACEMENTS AT SJMSOM, IIT BOMBAY A total of 53 companies gave 153 offers to the batch of 53 students. The offers per student stood at 3 approximately . The average domestic salary increased by 44% from the previous years …

FLOURISHING PLACEMENTS AT SJMSOM, IIT BOMBAY

A total of 53 companies gave 153 offers to the batch of 53 students. The offers per student stood at 3 approximately . The average domestic salary increased by 44% from the previous years figure of Rs. 9.71 lakhs to Rs. 13.96 lakhs this year. The median salary registered a rise from Rs. 9.5 lakhs to Rs 14.50 lakhs, an indicator that most of the batch got salaries in the upper band. The highest domestic offer was Rs. 21 lakhs whereas the lowest salary was of Rs 7.75 lakhs. The highest international offer was US$ 85,000 by Olam International (Singapore)

Pre-Placement offers were made to 40% of the batch before the start of the placement process. The list of companies included Citibank, Standard Chartered, LOreal, Cadbury, Spencers Retail, Feedback Ventures, TPG, and Wipro.

The significant thing about the final placements this year was the exciting profiles that were on offer. The companies offered profiles in General Management, Private Equity, Investment Banking, Wholesale Banking, Management and IT Consulting, Strategy and Execution, Sales and Marketing amongst others. Senior positions like Associate Vice President and fast track Leadership roles were the most coveted profiles. A heartening thing was that corporates offered specific roles to suit the interests of students to attract them. HCL, for example, offered a unique international role in Business Development for the middle east region which is one of the most sought after positions in services industry.

The strength of this years placements could be gauged from the large number of first time recruiters. Microsoft, SUN Microsystems, P&G;, ITC, Glenmark, E&Y; (Business Advisory Services), Universal Consulting, Global eProcure, HSBC, Barclays Bank, ICICI Securities, Yes Bank were some of the new recruiters. Niche profiles in oil and gas sector were offered by companies like Cairn Energy and GE Oil and Gas. Companies like HSBC, Bank of America LLC, and Feedback Ventures expanded their existing relationship with the School by offering positions in Finance and Infrastructure advisory respectively.

International Offers
This year, SOM made a significant foray into the international frontiers. Nearly 17% of the batch was offered international profiles, a considerable increase over last year. The school saw a surge of multinational companies recruiting graduating students for their international positions with the highest salary of US$ 85,000. Companies like ICICI Bank, Swiss Re, HCL, Olam International (Singapore), and Glenmark were some of the companies offering positions abroad.

Consulting
The consulting domain saw an impressive array of profiles being offered to the students. Some of the companies which visited the campus, among others, include Ernst and Young (Business Advisory Services), Feedback Ventures, Universal Consulting, Tholons, Avalon Consulting, Inductis, Deloitte, Capgemini, TPG, and Global E-Procure. Business Consulting, Infrastructure Advisory, Government Advisory, Operations and SCM Consulting were some of the profiles offered. Almost 18 percent of the batch opted for the exciting profiles offered by these consulting firms.

Leadership Profiles
Indicating the growing recognition of leadership acumen of students at SOM, companies such as GE, Tech Mahindra, Cadbury, Cummins, and HCL offered the much coveted Leadership profiles to approximately 14% of the batch.

Banking and Finance
Positions in Banking and Finance were offered to 23% of the graduating batch. Exciting profiles such as Private Equity, Investment Banking, Credit Risk, Consumer and Wholesale (Corporate) Banking, Research and Analysis, and Corporate Finance were offered by companies such as HSBC, Lehmann Brothers, Bank of America LLC, Barclays Bank, JPMC, Standard Chartered Bank, ICICI Securities, Yes Bank, Citibank, ICICI Bank, and Kotak Bank. The no. of offers in the area of Finance has been increasing over the years.

Sales and Marketing

Diverse profiles in Sales and Marketing were offered by reputed companies such as Castrol, Sybase, Sun Microsystems, Oracle, RPG Group, and Idea Cellular to 13% of the batch.

FMCG
This years placement also witnessed the enthusiastic participation of FMCG companies such as P&G;, ITC, Marico, Cadbury, and Wipro.

Systems and IT

This area was represented by global IT majors such as Microsoft, Oracle, Intel, IBM, Sun Microsystems, Accenture, CTS, and HCL. Offers in this area constituted about 30% of all the offers made at SOM.

Operations
Operations domain also saw participation from reputed firms such as Glenmark, Cummins, Cadbury, P&G;, Olam, Global E Procure, TPG, and others, which offered exciting roles.

The excellent placement at SOM in the face of difficult situation arising from subprime losses, global slowdown, recession, and rupee appreciation highlights the position of strength the school occupies in the industry.

The complete press release is attached here.

Phew...breathtaking...the most attractive and maybe the winner is the median of 14.5 L...WOW

WOW
The median salary is the most enticing

Hi Floyd&Vodka;,Congrats dude on SJM's awesome placements..........It now comes just after A, B and C and at par with L and XL.Highest International : Olam :: Highest Domestic : ????Another small query......since I am a lil bit fascinated towards numbers.......the median salary quoted is INR 14.5 lpa and with 53 students, this implies that 26 or 27 people must have got more than 14.5 lpa. Now there are 9 international offers (17% of 53); hence that means that the rest 17 or 18 people must have got a figure of 14.5 lpa or more. Am I right?If so, can u please mention the names of companies apart from the ones that provided international offers which have given 14.5lpa or more?

44 % jump........OMG.............awesome,gr8 going........Congrats to all IITB students and faculty 😃
blue oyster cult Says
Hi Floyd&Vodka;,Congrats dude on SJM's awesome placements..........It now comes just after A, B and C and at par with L and XL.Highest International : Olam :: Highest Domestic : ????Another small query......since I am a lil bit fascinated towards numbers.......the median salary quoted is INR 14.5 lpa and with 53 students, this implies that 26 or 27 people must have got more than 14.5 lpa. Now there are 9 international offers (17% of 53); hence that means that the rest 17 or 18 people must have got a figure of 14.5 lpa or more. Am I right?If so, can u please mention the names of companies apart from the ones that provided international offers which have given 14.5lpa or more?

Your numbers are correct w.r.t to the median salary. However revealing
the exact companies that gave above 14.5 Lakhs is not possible as it
would be tantamount to revealing specific salary details which many
companies don't appreciate. Similar reason for not revealing the name of
the company offering the highest domestic salary as we haven't got the
permission to do so. But people tuned into the placement season can
easily figure out which companies might have offered above 14.5 from the
list of companies above.
If you want to know more details about the placement process and the college.. you are free to visit iit b and talk to the students. We can surely give you more details here. However, it would not be possible for us to post it in a public forum.

Just a clarification.. the median and the average are both calculated only on the basis of domestic offers. They don't include international offers.

OOPS .. what a placement ...

Aree.. even after a murderous interview... m hoping against hope ki ho jae mera...

Bingo...
Awesome placements ..
Gr8 going dudes..

Amazing Figures!!
congrats to all involved!!

Hoping to make it to this institute! :)

One Qn though...

Which all locations have the international offers been made for?

and Ramesh.. the report mentions your profile... could you throw some more light on it, as in domain etc..(if possible!)

Thanks and Congrats again

and Ramesh.. the report mentions your profile... could you throw some more light on it, as in domain etc..(if possible!)

Thanks and Congrats again

I would let LAH or someone from the placement team take the query on international profiles ..

Regarding my offers, my interests lies in IT and I had applied ONLY to the IT companies on campus.

I am taking up the IT Leadership Profile in GE. Click HERE for more details.

Cheers
Ramesh

Firstly, heartiest congratulations for the stupendous placements this time. Registering a 44% Y-o-Y jump in salary is an amazing feat. This particularly assumes significance because an impending recession has dampened many a B-School placement this year. Understandably, there is a lot of skepticism amongst B-School aspirants about the veracity of different claims. Without doubting the figures provided by SJMSOM in any way, I would appreciate if more clarity is added to these figures. Taking a cue from Pagalguys tips on how to read between the lines of placement figures, may I ask the following questions:-

1. Was international offers in dollars (or some other currency) converted to INR while taking the average?
  2. An impressive median implies a whole host of people getting offers around 15 LPA. Given your batch profile and experience mix, this is indeed a commendable feat. I understand that some companies are reluctant to disclose their figures. However, could some of the star payers be named? I am not asking for a list sorted by salary but just a representative list of top payers.
Firstly, heartiest congratulations for the stupendous placements this time. Registering a 44% Y-o-Y jump in salary is an amazing feat. This particularly assumes significance because an impending recession has dampened many a B-School placement this year. Understandably, there is a lot of skepticism amongst B-School aspirants about the veracity of different claims. Without doubting the figures provided by SJMSOM in any way, I would appreciate if more clarity is added to these figures. Taking a cue from Pagalguys tips on how to read between the lines of placement figures, may I ask the following questions:-
  1. Was international offers in dollars (or some other currency) converted to INR while taking the average?
  2. An impressive median implies a whole host of people getting offers around 15 LPA. Given your batch profile and experience mix, this is indeed a commendable feat. I understand that some companies are reluctant to disclose their figures. However, could some of the star payers be named? I am not asking for a list sorted by salary but just a representative list of top payers.

First day on PG ..
First Post on PG ..
Wah .. ! Kya entry maaari hai ..

Dont worry .. Even I am not doubting anything .. I was just trying to read between the lines ..

Regarding the first query .. NO .. The international salaries have NOT been converted .. Both the median and mean are purely based on the domestic salaries ..

Again, regarding the names of the companies and the salary figures, I would let placement committee answer this (if possible!).

Cheers
Ramesh

1. LAH has already answrd this query in his post in this thread but let me repeat the median and the average are both calculated only on the basis of domestic offers. They don't include international offers."
  2. Almost all major companies have been named in the placement report and that too without being sorted by salary(just what uve askd for)
cheers,
viraj.

It was a no-brainer dude....I am a IIT-B aspirant and don't want to reveal my real identity using which I have posted numerous pieces on this forum...hence a new moniker...my intention is simply to ensure that I make the correct choice when I decide upon which B-School to join. So if you are game, here's one more question :-

Q3) You have 'n' students and managed '3n' offers (laudable feat and my sincerest congratulations). But, were the best 'n' offers taken and their average computed or were all offers factored into the equation?

I am relieved to know that the international offers were not converted into INR before arriving at the average. This is a classic tool in the repertoire of placement committees to jack up figures. Good to see that IIT B has not taken recourse to this.

Hope to hear from Placement Committee members on Q2 posted earlier

It was a no-brainer dude....I am a IIT-B aspirant and don't want to reveal my real identity using which I have posted numerous pieces on this forum...hence a new moniker...my intention is simply to ensure that I make the correct choice when I decide upon which B-School to join. So if you are game, here's one more question :-

Q3) You have 'n' students and managed '3n' offers (laudable feat and my sincerest congratulations). But, were the best 'n' offers taken and their average computed or were all offers factored into the equation?

I am relieved to know that the international offers were not converted into INR before arriving at the average. This is a classic tool in the repertoire of placement committees to jack up figures. Good to see that IIT B has not taken recourse to this.

Hope to hear from Placement Committee members on Q2 posted earlier

Good to know that you an IIT B aspirant .. As LAH had already said, the best thing to do in this case would be to personally talk to seniors, come visit the campus and find out more about this.

Infact, we at IIT B, consider a lot of other factors much more important than Placements to give you reasons to join this institute. The IIT brand, the guest lectures, the visiting faculty, the IIT infrastructure, the events and the seminars, the interaction with the IIT PhDs and Btechs, sports, plays, parties and what not !! Hence, come visit us and find out more. I am sure you wont regret your choice.

Regarding you hiding your identity, I am afraid that is not allowed in PG. This a typical case of a clone on PG and if we report the same to the moderator, you would be banned. We encourage people to ask more questions and find out more about the college. But we would appreciate it if you reveal your actual identity.

Neither were the best n out of 3n offers taken, nor were all the offers taken to calculate the average salary. The methodology used, was the same as that used in any of the Top B schools of the country. I wouldnt get into this in detail. All I can say is that the method used is what is considered as a fair and standard method across bschools.

Cheers
Ramesh
The companies offered profiles in General Management, Private Equity, Investment Banking, Wholesale Banking, Management and IT Consulting, Strategy and Execution, Sales and Marketing amongst others. Senior positions like Associate Vice President and fast track Leadership roles were the most coveted profiles. A heartening thing was that corporates offered specific roles to suit the interests of students to attract them.

Can u let us know the roles that are offered under Investment Banking? Revealing the Name of the Companies recruiting for I-Banking will be an added advantage plus the location offered (domestic or international).

Well this awesome placement stats after revision has come out to set out the gloom in the SJMSOM threads after the results being postponed to on or after April 7th.

Though the ppt during the GD/PI mentioned the placement stats it wasn't with so much of details and gyaan.

SJMSOM rocks.

I just hope April 7th gives me the great news that i am a part of this awesome institute.

On a lighter note, if these stats were out by the time we attended the GD process, the enthu levels would have been even higher among the candidates!

Anyway, big time congrats to all seniors.