SJMSOM, IIT Bombay - Admissions 2010 (Queries and suggestions)

Hi friends, The MBA entrance exam season is beginning to gain momentum and the SJMSOM Admission Committee 2010 (aka ADCOM 2010) would like to wish you luck for this all important phase in the realisation of your career goals. Through thi…

Hi friends,

The MBA entrance exam season is beginning to gain momentum and the SJMSOM Admission Committee 2010 (aka ADCOM 2010) would like to wish you luck for this all important phase in the realisation of your career goals.

Through this thread we would be attempting to resolve the numerous queries you may have regarding SJMSOM, thus providing a clearer picture which would help you decide on the future course of action.
We would also be providing timely updates on upcoming events, happenings and processes through out the admission procedure.

Feedback is welcome and we would love to know if you have any sugestions to make.

Here's wishing all of you a very successful admission season!!

Nice..

As a starter can u pls throw some light on last yrs cutoffs for SJMSOM... are there sectional cutoffs?

Hi Puys,

Please let me know if we need to apply to any of the IIT's before JMET results? As per my knowledge the applications should be submitted only after we get our JMET ranking.

Useful Links

SJMSOM - The Official website
Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay - Home

SJMSOM Admission 2009 - 2011 (Admission Queries)
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sjmsom-2009-11-admission-queries-25033915

SJMSOM Admission 2009 - 2011 (GD - PI Queries) http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sjmsom-gd-pi-list-out-discussion-and-queries-25037613

SJMSOM Admission 2009 - 2011 (Waitlist Queries)
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sjmsom-2009-11-thread-for-tracking-waitlist-movement-25039129

SJMSOM Admission 2009 - 2011 (Final Results Queries)
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sjmsom-2009-11-final-results-out-25039124

A dedicated forum is in the works and should be operational soon. The link would be shared as soon as the forum is operational.
deepakram45 Says
As a starter can u pls throw some light on last yrs cutoffs for SJMSOM... are there sectional cutoffs?

The cutoffs for an interview call in 2009 were as follows:-

General - AIR418
OBC - Around AIR7000
SC - Around AIR9000
ST - Calls to all applicants
Sectional cutoffs were there last year.

We'll keep you posted about the procedure this year as and when the decisions are taken.

Please let me know if we need to apply to any of the IIT's before JMET results?

Applications are to be made only after the JMET results are out. Each institute would be doing it separately.
Institute websites would provide the required information.

Watch this space for information regarding the application procedure at SJMSOM.

Given below is the timeline of the admissions procedure conducted last year (2009)

SJMSOM Admissions 2009

14 DEC 2009 - JMET 2009 conducted.
05 JAN 2009 - JMET results declared.
11 FEB 2009 - GD/PI shortlist declared.
6,7,8,9 MAR 2009 - GD/PI conducted.
15 APR 2009 - Final shortlist declared.
22 JUL 2009 - Classes commence.

The timelines for the admission process, this year, would be declared soon.

Given below is the timeline of the admissions procedure conducted last year (2009)

SJMSOM Admissions 2009

14 DEC 2009 - JMET 2009 conducted.
05 JAN 2009 - JMET results declared.
11 FEB 2009 - GD/PI shortlist declared.
6,7,8,9 MAR 2009 - GD/PI conducted.
15 APR 2009 - Final shortlist declared.
22 JUL 2009 - Classes commence.

The timelines for the admission process, this year, would be declared soon.

hi seniors,
does sjmsom requires 60 percentage(Equivalent CGPA) in 10th, 12th as well as in BE/BTECH?
I have 60 percentage in 10th and my engineering but i am 1 percent short in my 12.
I have completed my 12th under gujarat board and here they do not consider practicals marks in final result.
though if i consider practicals then my final percentage gets more than 60.
hi seniors,
does sjmsom requires 60 percentage(Equivalent CGPA) in 10th, 12th as well as in BE/BTECH?
I have 60 percentage in 10th and my engineering but i am 1 percent short in my 12.
I have completed my 12th under gujarat board and here they do not consider practicals marks in final result.
though if i consider practicals then my final percentage gets more than 60.

Hey Shrey,
SJMSOM does not require 60% aggregate in class-10 and 12th..
The eligibility criteria for SJMSOM M.Mgmt program is:

Students with a first class Bachelor's degree in engineering (or equivalent) or
first class Master's degree in Science are eligible for admission to the M.Mgt.
Programme. Students should have secured min. 60% aggregate marks / min. CGPI of 6.5
out of 10 at the qualifying examination. There is a relaxation of 5% in marks or
equivalent in CGPI for SC/ST candidates.

eligibility criteria:
jmet online information system
Hey Shrey,
SJMSOM does not require 60% aggregate in class-10 and 12th..
The eligibility criteria for SJMSOM M.Mgmt program is:

Students with a first class Bachelor's degree in engineering (or equivalent) or
first class Master's degree in Science are eligible for admission to the M.Mgt.
Programme. Students should have secured min. 60% aggregate marks / min. CGPI of 6.5
out of 10 at the qualifying examination. There is a relaxation of 5% in marks or
equivalent in CGPI for SC/ST candidates.

eligibility criteria:
jmet online information system

Hi nandini,
Thanks for ur reply.
Just one more query.
My engineering college also follows the concept of CGPA but they have a different way of caluclating percentage from it. So as per my college methodology my CPI is 6.3 and my final percentage is 65.
I have transcript from college which has both my CGPA and my percentage. Is it suffice or i will have to get any other document? and will SJMSOM calculate percentage from CGPA as per their standards and norms or the one given in my document?
Hi nandini,
Thanks for ur reply.
Just one more query.
My engineering college also follows the concept of CGPA but they have a different way of caluclating percentage from it. So as per my college methodology my CPI is 6.3 and my final percentage is 65.
I have transcript from college which has both my CGPA and my percentage. Is it suffice or i will have to get any other document? and will SJMSOM calculate percentage from CGPA as per their standards and norms or the one given in my document?

Hey Shrey,
First class and 60% was the eligibility last year.If your engg. university treats more than 60% as first class then there is no problem.CPI of 6.3 or 65%, both are above 60% so thats not an issue.
Also this was the eligibilty criteria last year. More clarity on this issue will be near the JMET result date.Best of luck!
Seniors now da paper is close enuff!!!analysed last year's paper...found dat only 23-24 questions attemptable in all three sections , nw fr sjmsom i need to get 85+ correct ...wat to do to tackle such paper???
Assumption-Accuracy can't be 100%

Hey,
Identify your strong areas.In these areas (if u get an easy paper that is) you will be able to solve most of the questions. Also last year for the first time we had a three hour paper.
There will be sufficient time to go through each question.Practice DI since if this section is easy and normal look at the graph and answer type questions come then chances of error is least.General English is tested.If you want then you can go through some school grammar basics to improve your score.
All the very best!

General - AIR418
OBC - Around AIR7000
SC - Around AIR9000

We'll keep you posted about the procedure this year as and when the decisions are taken.

Hi sagaran,

Fisrst of all thanks for the details.Is this rank 418 in general category the final rank including work ex guys or only freshers.
Asking u straight forwardly,i have 3 years of work ex in IT,what is the rank i should get in jmet 2009 to get a call or please let me know the final rank in jmet 2008(with 3years of work ex) who got a call.

Eagerly Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks a lot,
Regards,
Murali

hey murali,
Rank 418 last year was the last rank of the general category.separate last rank for fresher and work-ex people is not calculated.The students who got these ranks happen to have work ex.
Rgds.

Hey varun,
The fees for the entire programme for our batch was 8.64 Lakh..inclusive of hostel and mess.Things remaining the way they are your batch fees most probably will remain the same.
Rgds.

General - AIR418
OBC - Around AIR7000
SC - Around AIR9000

7000 rank for the OBC....surprising.
One clarification needed here. The AIR for the reserved category is not calculated separately, right. It's just plain All India Rank.

Yes.No separate rank list.

hey murali,
Rank 418 last year was the last rank of the general category.separate last rank for fresher and work-ex people is not calculated.The students who got these ranks happen to have work ex.
Rgds.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your information.Then,I got a wrong news from my friends.Once agian thanks a lot.

Bye
Murali

do v hv to apply to each iits individually.if yes then wat is d last date?