SJMSOM,IIT Bombay 2008-10 GD/PI Exp

Hi All, As I start putting down my GD/PI exp … I wud like to thank all the student volunteers, for their commendable work. Everythng was organized very well and they are helping all the aspirants in what ever way the can. I’ll start off wi…

Hi All,

As I start putting down my GD/PI exp .. I wud like to thank all the student volunteers, for their commendable work. Everythng was organized very well and they are helping all the aspirants in what ever way the can.
I'll start off with my profile:
rank: 1 4 3 (deliberately added spaces to lay emphasis on the no :wink:)
Wrk Exp: 32 mnths (IT)
Acads: All above 80
Extra currics : decent

I was in the A panel and labeleld A1, which means I'm the 1st persone to be interviewed :-)

GD: Case study on a employee(4 yrs in accounts section) not performing well in a accounts section of a big co. after computerization. 20% less efficient and lot off computational errors.You being the manager and with the co. for the past 6 yrs, should think of a remedial trng to address these type of issue immediately.
Q1) How would u get to knw his issues as to why he's not able to perform?
Q2) Hw would u design the remedial pgm, if u think it was due to lack of proper trng or was trained in a hurried manner?
Q3) If he was with the co. for the past 6 yrs, hw wud u introduce the trng program?
5 mins for thinking n 20 mins for discussion; 2 panelists keeping a wath on the time.

GD was pretty decent. No fish market, i got to add few pts n there was 1 person who cudn't involve much and he was asked to summarize at the end.

PI: I was given a 15 min break after the GD to have some snacks, and felt was called almost immediately.
Entered the room the same 2 panelists. Exchanged wishes as i began to sit. I neither knw their profiles nor their names.
P1: Seemed to be some prof with gud technical knowledge
P2: seemed to be a Marketing prof
Interview started off with P2 asking me to tell something about my self and P1 starts asking about my profile
Quizzed on wrk ex (java). Languages I learnt during my UG. Diff between C n Java, OOPS, qualities of OOPS, polymorphism, multiple inheritance, etc.,
Then my role in the company, training pgm, hw useful was it, how do u feel? Anything I learnt from UG which I use it in my profession(this was asked coz I'm from elec backgrnd and working in IT)
HR based: Extra currics, and my role in the events I organized.
Marketing case to solve and few terms there?
Thats it!!

I was done with my interview. It lasted for abt 15-20 mins and was cool. It was kind of interactive and no grilling or stress types. It is truly an enriching experience.

I was the 1st person to be interviewed and may be the 1st person to come out as well . Hopefully I get selected, this is the best call I've and also the 1st B-school interview.

All the best puys!! Don't get tensed, its going to be really cool. U keep ur cool n u'll rock

As we have been not asked our SOP did u have to fill any form there. or were u asked for ur resume. PPL u post their exp. plz specify this.

anvayonline Says
As we have been not asked our SOP did u have to fill any form there. or were u asked for ur resume. PPL u post their exp. plz specify this.

oops!! totally forgot abt that.

We were not asked any SOP/ resume. We were given a form to fill which contained the following details:
1) JMET Reg No:
2) Name
3) Category
4) Graduation details (rank if any - shud be substantiated with a cert., %s of all the sems shud be accurate as they wud be verified)
5) PG details - same as above
6) Extra Currics (accepted only if you have proper certs/proofs).
7) Wrk Exp details

As fas as I remember this is all .. please add if I missed anything.

PS: All that u state wud be verified so be ready with proper docs supporting ur claims.

Had my GD/PI in the first slot today.
JMET Acads: avg (maybe even below avg)
Exp: 30 in IT (so common)
Extra-curricular: some certifications and inter-college level
The scrutiny of the applications was really one of the most careful checks i have seen! All the documents were closely checked and percentages were calculated where-ever not mentioned in mark-sheets.
In case any1 is a rank-holder, then take along rank certificates. If u have any extra-curriculars... carry the certis.

GD
Same for all the groups... so won't repeat that part. I made only 4 entries... a below avg GD. :(

PI (2 profs only)
P1: Tell me something abt urself.
P1: Tell me about ur job profile.
P2: Tell me ur strengths n weakness.
Me: Was talking as usual... mentioned Reasoning ability
P2: I will give u a case to analyze... Indo-US nuclear deal!
P2: Weakness
Me: I mentioned lack of assertiveness
P2: U were not very vocal in GD and i observed it! How are u trying to improve on it?
P1: Thank You.
After all the hype abt the tech questions and stats.. i was asked none!

Hope that i convert this call... would really love to be in IITB for 2 yrs!
Seniors, excellent GD/PI process.... the whole process was done real quick. But it took me some time to break the ice with seniors (only during docs verification)

Result Update:
On Waitlist (on 7 April)
Wl# 10 (on 9 April)

hi ppl.before i start a big thanks to all the seniors.they were really helpful in every aspect. a fairly good ppt.....overall a excellent managed process.

profile: X,XII = 85%
B.E = 75%
WORKEX = 0 .
RANK = 57.

before gd round ppl were divided (random already done) into 6 groups with 10 ppl each.

documents & certis were checked.
gd for every group was simultaneous.
cASE study.
easy one...somethin like workers in xyz company are not doin proper work. good salaries but no motivation.no competition....the usual stuff.

one thing all d six groups had same gd topic
time 5+15/20 .fairly good time.everyone spoke.one chap sittin next to me was not speaking.so he was asked to summarize at end.

PI same faculty as of gd.

p1 = some iim prof
p2 = telecom lady

p2 did most of the talkin

p2 tell somethin about urself?
why mba?
me- d usual stuff.

both then checked my extra curriculars which was on a sheet(guys remember u cn write only those for which u have certis.

p2,p1 ur fav topic

me - OR then started with some history of OR
p1 = gave me a prob. somethin like u have to sell pens.have all the data.how will u find optimal soln usin OR.

me-- explained in detail

p1= nandigram voilence..
me-- blah blah

dats it
throughout i was smilin and was soft spoken
a feel good pi.
overall nice gd/pi
keepin my fingers crossed.hope to get selected.

p.s. : 50% of ppl will say nice gd/pi.. cause everyone is havin feel good
gd/ pi.

all d best puys.

Had opened a thread for the same...
but will proceed with the group.. 😉

Had my GD/PI in the second slot today.
JMET rank 309
Acads: avg
Exp: 36 in IT
Extra-curricular: some inter-college level

The scrutiny of the applications was v.v.thorough!
All the documents were closely checked and percentages were calculated where-ever not mentioned in mark-sheets.
In case any1 is a rank-holder, then take along rank certificates. If u have any extra-curriculars... carry the certis.

GD
Case about a CEO of a company who was facing issues with daily wage workers.
They were given all benefits but were lazy and not performing.
Huge pressure on company etc.
Personnel mgr reports that people feel that there's no incentive to perform well.

I made 4 entries with new points, also started the GD...
an avg GD only.

No fish market. Everybody chipped in.

PI (2 profs ,, both fin profs)

P1: Tell me something abt urself.
P1: Tell me about ur job profile.
PI: CRM domain.. Explain
M: somewhere mentioned (operating margin.. oops..)
P1: OM.. yeah yeah tell me more
M: bak bak bakar
P1: Fine but what is OM
M: some crap... seems satisfied..

Over to P2
P2: 5 strengths of ur company
P2: 5 weaknesses
P2: Training model
P2: Ur contribution to company
P2: Will u go back to ur company after MBA

P1 & P@: Thank You. .. All the best

12-15 mins
After all the hype abt the tech questions and stats.. i was asked none!

~Nitin

hey puys
my profile
X/XII 94/91
Grad 77
JMET 35

was in second slot at 1.30
gd was same as mentioned above..a bit of a fish market..
one of the persons was overagressive and one was behavin as moderator

pi
same 2 panelists..give u a feel good factor..
usual questions..introduce urself..some technical and why mba
which other calls..wat wud u prefer etc.etc.

overall feel good gdpi

hey udayant,

one small question... i have mine tomo afternoon... wht time is the whole process getting over in the evening...

coz... i got a flight to catch late evening...:confused:

please lemme knw...
Profile :
X: 92
XII : 93.
Grad : 8.33
JMET : 345 (last rank to be called for IITB process)
Work ex : 10 months IT
8 months Finance/Accounts
===================================================
7.30 is a bit too early. Verification of documents takes some time since the Coordinators check (and even question) ur docs quite stringently. Some nice videos are shown about the cool life at IIT B. That time you really feel ki you should get in someway or the other.

Case Study:
Same as described in the first post. Accounts people in a service station unable to cope with computation. People discussed Yoga, peer pressure and what not! I tried bringing the discussion to the questions given at the end of the case. Didn't work out. Since same points were coming up, the Lady stopped the GD before time and said something like "Not much happening so we've decided its enough".

PI :
Nothing like the previous posts in here. I'm sure it will make quite a read!
Was the first person to go in from my group.
Panel (same as GD) : Lady L, Guy G (Faculties)

Me : Good Morning, Madam. Good Morning Sir.
G : GM, sit down.

L : So this is ur form. Tell us briefly about yourself.
Me : ............

G : Oh you were ranked
6th in SSC 2000? In Maharashtra?
Me : no... In Nagpur. Ranks are given dist. wise.

G : How many students were there in your class? Wat was ur rank?
Me : Top 10.
L : (Looking at someone else's form) So you are working with HP right?
Me : No ma'am. That's not my form. This is my form. I am working in my dad's firm.

G : its a CA's firm. Who taught you accounts/finance?
Me : I didn't take any formal training. Learned by myself.

G : Oh yourself only? From where?
Me : from the basic accounts book of the first exam CPT of CA course.

G : What was your profile in xxxx (where I worked earlier)
Me : Coding. Java.

G : Had training there?
Me : yes.

L : Is your college still called VNIT or just NIT?
Me : its called VNIT.

L : Are there more than one NITs in (i thot she'd say India but...) Nagpur?
Me : :neutral: Yes. There is one more NIT though its not a college. Nagpur Improvement Trust. :)
L/G : (no smile) OK.

G : So what kind of consultancy goes in your father's firm?
Me : ......

G : (Handing over his pencil) Taking into account, all opportunity costs, make a project of your education and future plans. Project it for five years.
Me : (For the next 5 minutes, I make a project, talking as I do it. Telling them why I intend to work in industry and have inflows. And finally simply deducting outflows from inflows :oops:)

G : Have you heard about NPV?
Me : Yes sir. It is.... (Telling him in brief).

G : How and why do we do it?
Me : Telling about time value of money. A rational person will accept 1 re now rather than 1 re after an year.

L : Do u know the formula?
Me : yes. told.

G : You didn't discount the cash flows in your project. So you are not a rational person?
Me : :oops:

G: Why did you take 2.5L fees in first year itself? Do we take entire fees in first year?
L : In fact we take it semester wise.
Me : (kuch to bol de) accrual funda.

G: What accrual? These are actual cash flows right. Where does accrual come in?
Me : Sorry sir. I made a mistake.

G : You had maths in your curriculum? Did you study Statistics?
Me : Yes I had it. (Just read some stuff yesterday. Bring it on.. getting ready to answer)
======NOW THE FUN BEGINS!=======
G (to L) : Ask him some questions on statistics.
L : No. its ok. Thanks.
(I am about to leave)

G (to L) : Maybe something on engineering?
L : OK. Have you learned Partial Differential Equations?
Me : Yes. (please dont ask... its been too long!)

L : Tell me three applications of PDE.
ME : :huh:

L : Have you got your GMAT Score?
Me ::wow: (She really said GMAT!) I was speechless n gave a weird expression

L : I mean JMET score card. Do you have it with you?
Me : Gave her the score card.

G (Peeks into the card) They discuss stuff like only 8.5 in maths. L explains to G - Everything is out of 40.

L : You are not good at maths or this was a one off?
Me : I was good at maths. Just found this paper tough. (I dont remember what the JMET Maths had... just remember it was tough for me)

G : studied LPP/ Operational Research?
Me : LPP Yes. Nothing related to OR. (What is going on???)

G (laughing to L) : Nothing in OR he says.
L : If you studied LPP, you should have done well. OK What did you like in engg. ? Tell a subject related to Electrical.
Me : (Was prepared to say eco. but now..) Power Systems and Transmission

L : What is SAC?
Me : (Though I haven't prepared, I swear guys I've never heard about this term... any electrical guys know it?? google didn't help either) What?
L : Tell me about SAC.
Me :
:huh:

L : You only told us about distribution and now that I am asking you questions on it, you are not able to answer.
G (getting happy... i guess) : You didn't like any subject in engg. right? Was it forced on you?
Me : (Kya baat kar rahe ho sir!?) No. I m just not able to recollect it now.
(Now I really hope there is something called SAC)

L: But after 25 years of engineering I am able to recollect it.
G: Maybe you liked engg.

L : (to G) I have not been associated with elec industry. Still I remember it. (to me) You've got such nice marks in engg. Amongst Top 10 you said. From such a good institute. How did you get them?
Me : (I hope she doesn't slap me) I was good in engg. ma'am. Give me another chance. Ask me something else.

L : OK. What is the power generation scenario in India? Different means of generation? What should a country like india focus upon?
Me : gave some figures. tremendous deficit. A developing nation like India should concentrate on Thermal till we get the expertise in alternate/non conv energy resources.

L : (before I complete my answer) What about Nuclear?
Me : Said initial installation costs are higher.
L : You should have said that earlier. How are your analytical abilities as an engg. going to help you in Management then?
Me : :neutral:
L : No answer?
Me : No answer. (I actually said it)

G : Have you had any participation in extra curriculars?
L : He's written in this form no? No need to ask him.
Me : (Madam ko itna kya ho gaya?? Hey bhagwaan... SAC kya hota hai??! )
L, G: OK Thanks.

Hush!! I was there for around 20-30 mins but it seemed like an hour. After I came out, I realized that I had come out with the panel's pencil!
(Abhi andar jaaunga to pata nahi kya hoga)
Gave it back to coordinators.:satisfie:
=============================================
So, what say puys was this stress enough??

Anyways, some coordinators told me not to worry since last year's last ranker in JMET is topping the class now.

Still realistically speaking, I don't see any chance for myself.
Will remember this interview for long though!

Had my GDPI in the afternoon..........

Profile:
EXTC Engg: 68.44%, Mumbai University
X: 80%
XII: 89.66%
JMET Rank: 35
Work Ex: 27 months in Engineering firm

Had my GDPI in the afternoon. First of all was very well conducted by the seniors...especially the presentation of SJSOM was very informative....

GD: the topis was Unfair Promotion.

Where a Guy is promoted over 3 of his seniors. The aggrieved seniors have gone to the court and filed a case aginst the organiasation.

Questions:
1. Is the method used for promotion justified?
2. Should promotion be based on seniority?
3. What are the laws available for such cases?

Was a pretty OK GD....with every one shouting their points in a bid to be heard in the chaos. Was not exactly a fish market but was not a fruitful discussion either.
Will rate it 6/10.
========================================================
PI: Gentle Man(G), Lady(L), Vendetta(V)

As i entered was greeted by both and asked to take my seat.

L: Ok V please tell us something about urself?
V::snipersm:

L: so what new languages u have learned(had mentioned in the previous statement)
V: Kannada when i was in Bangalore

We look at each other blankly for 3 seconds....
L: and???
V::idea:...ma'm did try to learn tamil...but found it hard thou....can understand some words...but find it difficult to pronounce........

L: Why should we take you? what is ur USP?
V::shocked:....gave gyaan abt my acads...work ex....and how i am planning to become an enterpreneur in the future...and IIT B will be the ideal place for my scheme of things....

L: What is the vision statement of SJSOM?
V: Mumbled about Innovation and enterpreneur skills....(had seen it during the presentation)...told her dont remember it verbatim

G: Asked about my job profile....Asked how a project costing is done
V: Had a three min discussion on this

G: Some more questions on Job?
V: could handle it...

L: (out of the blue) No. Of states in India?
V: 28

L: Three years ago?
V: Dont reckon....but if ur referring to Uttarakhand, Chattisgad and Jharkhand which i dont remeber in which year they were formed...the answer is 25
L: smiled..

G: (was scrutnising my file)...asked about a subject which i had in 5th sem...Industrial Economics and Management?...pointed that i have scored just 46 on 100....and how i dont have aptitude for MBA
V::shock:...gave reasons like how the course was newly introduced, no proper faculty....(on hindsight should have accepted my incompetence in 5th sem...and should have told that i am mature now)

L: What books u have read?
V: Mentioned Fountainhead, Kite Runner, A thousand splendid suns from fiction side...
It happened in India from non-fiction side....

G: (suddenly interested) Tell us something about Fountain head? could u relate to the characters?
V: did give some gyaan...but on my way lost track and goofed up...repeated the same points.....

L: Who is Warren Buffet?
V: told about him being a successful american investor.....even spoke abt Mr. Rakesh Jhunjhunwala- Indian version of WB

L: Asked my opinion on reason for his success?
V: told about his keen acumen and nose for picking up penny stocks having latent potential to reap rich dividends.......

G: Asked about my ex-company's strartegy to survive in the market?
V: answered.....

L: Asked about ISO 14000?
V::shock:.....its some standard ma'm....

L: thanks but for what?
V: hmmmm...dont know ma'm

L looked towards G and said..(Bored Tone).OK!...Good Luck.......

Puys please PM me if u feel i goofed up somewhere...........didnt like the tone L used at the end.........dont know what to make of it.......

Had my GDPI in the afternoon on Day 1..........

Profile:
CS Engg: 68%, Panjab Universit5y
X: 75%
XII: 84%
JMET Rank: 165
Work Ex: 16 months in IT

Had my GDPI in the afternoon.

GD: the topic was about the hourly wage workers.. and how are they not working properly bacause there is no real motivation factor.

GD went pretty cool where everybody got a chance to speak.

Now about the PI:

There were 2 Interviewers, both quite old and both from the mechanical back-ground.
L: Left Guy
R: Right Guy
M: Me

L&R;: There was another guy from your company in the morning batch. Do you know him.
M: Sir Actually there are about 3k ppl in the Pune office and there is hardly a chance to know many ppl there. And no i dont him.
L: So you have designation of a Software Developer and Designer. Tell me what softwares did you design.
M: Sir, told about the company bg, its softwares that exist. the one that i worked on and my responsibilities.
(but was thinking that's my designation. We IT ppl tend to have amazing profiles and no work.
In the meantime the Right Guy took my profile and was going thru it.
R: So now I have a questions on a few subjects that you have studied.
M: (No.. Plz not on Engineering. I have done my Engineering just in the nights before my Exams. Still ok if he will ask me about some CS major subjects.)
R: First Subject I will pick is Operation Research and Models
M::shocked:(Did i ever study that subject????.. I dont believe it.):confused:
R: So Tell me some techniques in OR that you have studied.
M: :puppydog::bad-word:Sir I dont remember..
R: But It is there in your degree?
M: :bad-word:Yes, but now I am unable to recall anything about it.
R: How is that possible?
M: (..If you are teaching the same thing for the past 45 years is that my fault?..)
L: There was something about Simplex method.
M: (Ohh.. that one.. Something clicks but not much..) No Sir, i cant recall anything like that.. (kya karta.. kuch aur thode na yaad aaya)
R: Lets talk about Transformational Matrix for positional Change of an Object.
M: (Whattttt....????:bomb: Am in an interview for MBA or for some M.Tech or high Technical job.. Please try to understand..!!!)

..... and things like this went on and on....!!!!

Now after all this..!!!! I have a question to ask to the Co-ordinators there and also to the instructors and all the people concerned...

?? The people who are taking PI's may be are big-shots in their respective fields, but are they worthy enough to judge someone who is looking to be a part of another field.???
?? Are they really able to see thru the person with asking them about some subjects which doesnt even concern his job and is not going to matter to him for the next education that he wants to pursue and also the job or for that matter his whole life..???
?? What is selector trying to judge through the process that I elaborated. May be nothing.. If he would have been taking my interview for the M.Tech or some high-end technical job, still I would have considered the importance.
?? If they wanted to check my acads, they could have asked me subjects like DBMS, OS, OOPS, DataStructure, Networks... That makes sense.. At least I have worked on them or I might have an idea that they are the core subjects of my field but where does other subjects come into picture there?
?? What candidate goes in front of which Interviewer, shouldnt this be taken into consideration. A candidate with a CS back-ground sitting in front of a Mechanical guy who is still not trying to judge the candidate through some other General/Logical/Managerial questions but asking him about the core Mechanical Subjects that he found in his Mark-sheets.
:smilecol::smilecol:
A FULL ONE YEAR IS GOING TO GET WASTED BECAUSE I WAS INTERVIEWED BY THE PERSON WHO HAS NO MEANS TO JUDGE ME.

hi,

had my interview in the second slot on 1st.

GD was the one mentioned about unfair promotion.

Interview:

Me (I) , male interviewer (M) Female Interviewer(F)

I- Good Morning.
M-Good Afternoon. So u are from metallurgy, tell me about stainless steels. different type of steels and their composition.
I said something but he was not convinced. this kept on going for about 10 mins.
F-which company tell me about the clients. whats the applicaiton of supply chain management in daily life.
1. told about this.
F- tell about the politics in pakistan and what about perz??
I-told something.
M-tell what u know about the farmers of karnataka. ??? their income, family structure, amount of land they have and other stats.
i- mum and then put some comments.

thanks you.

overall a ok GD and a out of the blues interview. I think i gotta forget this one as a bad dream and concentrate on next years entrance exams now.
:tellme:

Had my GDPI in the afternoon on Day 1..........

Profile:
CS Engg: 68%, Panjab Universit5y
X: 75%
XII: 84%
JMET Rank: 165
Work Ex: 16 months in IT

Had my GDPI in the afternoon.

GD: the topic was about the hourly wage workers.. and how are they not working properly bacause there is no real motivation factor.

GD went pretty cool where everybody got a chance to speak.

Now about the PI:

There were 2 Interviewers, both quite old and both from the mechanical back-ground.
L: Left Guy
R: Right Guy
M: Me

L&R;: There was another guy from your company in the morning batch. Do you know him.
M: Sir Actually there are about 3k ppl in the Pune office and there is hardly a chance to know many ppl there. And no i dont him.
L: So you have designation of a Software Developer and Designer. Tell me what softwares did you design.
M: Sir, told about the company bg, its softwares that exist. the one that i worked on and my responsibilities.
(but was thinking that's my designation. We IT ppl tend to have amazing profiles and no work.
In the meantime the Right Guy took my profile and was going thru it.
R: So now I have a questions on a few subjects that you have studied.
M: (No.. Plz not on Engineering. I have done my Engineering just in the nights before my Exams. Still ok if he will ask me about some CS major subjects.)
R: First Subject I will pick is Operation Research and Models
M::shocked:(Did i ever study that subject????.. I dont believe it.):confused:
R: So Tell me some techniques in OR that you have studied.
M: :puppydog::bad-word:Sir I dont remember..
R: But It is there in your degree?
M: :bad-word:Yes, but now I am unable to recall anything about it.
R: How is that possible?
M: (..If you are teaching the same thing for the past 45 years is that my fault?..)
L: There was something about Simplex method.
M: (Ohh.. that one.. Something clicks but not much..) No Sir, i cant recall anything like that.. (kya karta.. kuch aur thode na yaad aaya)
R: Lets talk about Transformational Matrix for positional Change of an Object.
M: (Whattttt....????:bomb: Am in an interview for MBA or for some M.Tech or high Technical job.. Please try to understand..!!!)

..... and things like this went on and on....!!!!

Now after all this..!!!! I have a question to ask to the Co-ordinators there and also to the instructors and all the people concerned...

?? The people who are taking PI's may be are big-shots in their respective fields, but are they worthy enough to judge someone who is looking to be a part of another field.???
?? Are they really able to see thru the person with asking them about some subjects which doesnt even concern his job and is not going to matter to him for the next education that he wants to pursue and also the job or for that matter his whole life..???
?? What is selector trying to judge through the process that I elaborated. May be nothing.. If he would have been taking my interview for the M.Tech or some high-end technical job, still I would have considered the importance.
?? If they wanted to check my acads, they could have asked me subjects like DBMS, OS, OOPS, DataStructure, Networks... That makes sense.. At least I have worked on them or I might have an idea that they are the core subjects of my field but where does other subjects come into picture there?
?? What candidate goes in front of which Interviewer, shouldnt this be taken into consideration. A candidate with a CS back-ground sitting in front of a Mechanical guy who is still not trying to judge the candidate through some other General/Logical/Managerial questions but asking him about the core Mechanical Subjects that he found in his Mark-sheets.
A FULL ONE YEAR IS GOING TO GET WASTED BECAUSE I WAS INTERVIEWED BY THE PERSON WHO HAS NO MEANS TO JUDGE ME.

Buddy i also got questions on technicals on metallurgy although i am working in IT for about 20 months now. But as u say they should not ask in that domain, i think if u cant recall what u did a couple of year back and even did'nt care to revise that for the interview, its more of ur fault than their's. i also got many questions wrong and was not able to answer many others but i think it will be justifies if they don't take me. if they take then this will be lesson.
So please study your subjects than questioning the interviewer.

hii

srry removin my experience

Hi all,
I had my GDPI on 29th in the morning slot. Sorry for posting very late.
At the very outset, my compliments to all the seniors involved in the admissions process. Really, its a very well organized process and all the seniors were very friendly. Presentation life@SOM was very good.
My profile:
JMET: 67
Acads: X-86, Diploma -90, B.E. (Mech )- 86.8
Decent extra curriuculars, achievements
Work Ex: 18 months with a PSU oil company
GD:
Well the case is same for all the people who had their GD in the morning, so, I am not repeating it. Made entries 4-5 times, could make some points, but overall, its an average performance.
PI:
I was D2, so had my PI 20 min. after my GD.
Panel members:
P1 Madam HOD of SOM
P2 Sir Fin Prof.
After I entered the room I wished them good morning, they offered seat.
P2: What is your name?
Me: ____
P1: Ok Mr., tell some thing about you in brief?
Me: Spoke for a min.
P2: You were college topper in B.E.?
Me: Yes sir.
P2: What is your position in the university?
Me: Second sir.
P1: Ok, you have written that your job responsibilities include planning and monitoring maintenance jobs, explain?
Me: Explained about my job.
P1: Ok, while carrying out procurement how do you decide the qty to be procured?
Me: I consider present requirement, future req. if any and past usage. Then I decide with my boss.
P2: Dont you have any ERP system?
Me: Yes
P1: Then, dont you use it?
Me: I explained them that in our company we have two kinds of items Stock and non-stock. For stock there will be inventory, which is maintained by other dept. We carryout proc. for non-stocks, for which there will be no inventory.
P1: Ok, tell me the formula for EOQ.
Me: Sorry madam, I dont remember the formula, but, I can explain the concept.
P1: Go ahead
Me: Explained the concept with the graph. Fumbled a bit, but, told correctly.
P2: What is linear programming?
Me: Explained.
P1: Give me the matrix form of LPP?
Me: I Dont remember, I remember equation format.
P2: Ok
Me: Gave. Told it is to be maximized.
P2: If the obj function is cost then?
Me: To be minimized.
P1: There is nothing like it has to be maximized, it depends.
Me: Nodded.
P2: Ok, today is budget day. What are the expectations?
Me: Started with inflation control.
P2: (Cutting off) how is inflation calculated?
Me: Presented my broad idea
P2: What is the present rate?
Me: Dont remember exactly, but 4.something.
P2: What is present GDP?
Me: 1.089 trillion US dollars for the last fin. Year
P2: What is present GDP growth rate?
Me: Acc. to CSO estimates, it is 8.7% for this fin.year.
P1: Ok, do you fill income tax form?
Me: no madam, last year com. Arranged for the same.
P2: You know how to calculate tax?
Me: Told
P2: What are the slabs?
Me: Gave
P1: Do you invest in stock market?
Me: No madam
P2: What is IPO?
Me: Told
P2: What is book building/
Me: Sorry, dont know.
P1: Ok, you can go.
Me: Thanked them.
Overall, it went on well. Hoping to get the final call.

hiii to all
my JMET RANK>>> 136
work ex 29 months in PSU
Btech marks > 8.13 CPI
X> 68.5 %
XII> 72 %

my GD was again a case study as discussed earlier .. GD was avg type
i was a bit upset bcoz i was scared of techi interview>> butttttttt
my interview was taken at a very lighter note.....
thr were 2 profs p1 , p2
p1= faculty in sjsom
p2= faculty in humanities...
here goes my interview.>>>>>>>>
i entered the room
p1> have a seat
me > thank u
p1> so me saurabh kaushik .. whats the meaning of kaushik
me> sir it has two meaning one is that this word originated from the name of sage vishvamitra whose name was kaushik .. second is that the literal meaning is "the sentiment of love"
p2> so sage and love ... dont u think these two r contradictory
me > no sir ... it depends on ur perception
love can be worldly as well as platonic
p1> do u believe in platonic love
me > yes sir
p1 p2 > laughing
p1> so y r u coming to the world of mba where all things r materialistic.
me > loads of gyaann and they really listened like i m a sage :shock:
p2> so what r ur views about moral values an ethics
me > gave a loads of gyaan again
p1> will u tell me abt the comp in india really following the ethics in business
then discussion went on... Nandigram issue came in between >>> in between they asked the name of SEZ > i said i knew it just slipped out of my mind > they said okie...
P1> tell me sth abt ur job/.... being an insider in a PSU (top rated ) how u feel over thr . i need an honest feedback
me >> again gyaan continues
then i told them abt a research i did on creativity and innovation in my company.. some surveys and some models....
p2> differentiate between creativity and innovation
me > tried to differentiate .. discussion on it went for 3-4 min
in the last i guess they were satisfied:tellme:

P1> so which news paper do u read
me > the hindu
p1> ohh!! how can u read that boring newspaper ... read sth juicy .. or r u a boring guy...
me > smiling .. sir TOI is that kinda newspaper but in that content is l;ess
so for serious issues i prefer hindu bcoz it gives a holistic view
p1> what abt juicy stuff
me> sir for that ... P2 cut me and said .. internet
me > smiling .. yes sir ... everybody laughed
p1> asked me some quest abt surveys their methods
Me...> blah blah ..
P2 > ur hobby
me > teaching
P2> :huh:
me > sir i dont take it as a profession i teach free of cost to poor students living nearby .. i also counsel them ...
P!> how do u do that
me > gyaaaaaaaan........
P2> what is the imp thing while counselling a student
me> dont ever try to b a teacher . be his friend ... blah blah ...
P1> have some biscuits ...initially i said no thank u... then he said according to u we dont want to feel u like an interviewee u r our friend :splat:
me> smiling .. took one
P2> do u enjoy maths
me > yes ( soch raha tha pata nahi kya poochenge ab )
P2> sin2 theeta + cos2 theeta = 1
prove that
me > did it comfortably
P1> do u watch TV
me> i didnt do since last one yr
P1>:tellme:
me> sir ... blah blah blah...
ur other hobby like sports .....
me > cricket
P1> sme quest on cricket GK
me > luckilly answered
P1 P2 > whats ur views abt sledging
me> blah blah
P2 > laughing loudly .. he is so diplomatic ...
me> also joined the party (laughing)
P1P2>> ok
all the best
Me > thank u sir

dont know howzz it
was it an interview or timepass
i am not sure how it went
i think u people will give a better feedback
my fingers r crossed
chahe jo bhi ho but i enjoyed a lot in interview

Buddy i also got questions on technicals on metallurgy although i am working in IT for about 20 months now. But as u say they should not ask in that domain, i think if u cant recall what u did a couple of year back and even did'nt care to revise that for the interview, its more of ur fault than their's. i also got many questions wrong and was not able to answer many others but i think it will be justifies if they don't take me. if they take then this will be lesson.

I totally agree with Sidharth. We should study some basic concepts of our engineering subjects and it is mentioned in many posts that if u had any management subjects in ur Grads then we oughta go through them...

hello ppl,!!

Just had my interview in the morning slot of march the 2nd.Posting this from mumbai airport enroute to chennai..:sly:

Profile:Fresher(IT).Period.

First of all i would like to say a big thanks a give a loud round of applause to the seniors.They were friendly,professional,smart,quick and more importantly smiling and helping always.

After all the formalities were complete,The Game began with a GD.

My topic was about a case study about a lady and her supervisor and how some products which were certified by her turned out to be defective.We had to comment on the trainer's role and also what the women should have done so that this would have not happened.Pretty Decent GD.Had a point to make 3-4 times.The Panel stopped it sharp after 20 min by saying "Good THank You"

PI next up:Had a nice chat with seniors outside...I go in soon after a guy turns up...his face looked blasted.I expected nothing different...

The interview went pretty well....P1 was mostly laughing at me (likes me i think;) and p2 was laughing at p1:)...... a few questions about the management subjects i had learned..tqm and spm...I answered most of them confidently...they gracefully asked me to leave in the end...it was 15-18min. of PI...whole process got over by 11PM!!!....

once again thanks a lot to all the seniors..you rock!!:bigups:

X : 82.4%
XII : 91%
Grad : 61%(Pune univ)
Work ex : 33 months(Infosys)
GD : Case study on how a guy bluffs his way in front of the workers in his deptt. And later as things turn out his bluff comes true and now he has to talk to the workers and also the dilemma of whether he should come out with the truth or explain to the workers whats coming up next with as much credibility to his statements as possible.
GD turned into a fish market at times but overall everybody got a chance to speak and was heard reasonably well.
PI: (the bloody sad part)
P1 : HR prof.
P2 : Systems rof.
Me
P2: so your working with Infosys?
Me: I was working sir..
P2: oh so your not working now?
Me: am not sir and gave my reasons..
P2: what were you involved with in Infy?
Me: was with Finacle sir..
P2: which projects?
Me: told..
P2: so what part? Retail banking or corporate banking?
Me : retail..
P2: whats a term deposit account? Technical features..like what you considered while coding?
Me : maturity date..penalty payment in case of breaking the account..
P2: revenue of Infy?
Me : 4 billion USD
P2: TCS?
Me: .umm..dont know sir..
P2 : you should know about the top three organizations..
P2: whats TCSs banking software?
Me: sir it is quartz..
P2: Quartz?!!
Me: thats the old name of the sotware sir dont remember the current name..(its FNS)
P2 : which banks have quartz?
Me : dont know sir..
P1 : so apart from Infosys you dont know about other organizations?
Me : (sheepish smile) I do sir..
P2: which other competitors?
Me: flexcube..temenos..
P2: which bank is using flexcube?
Me: SBI domestic(bloody fool!)..ohh..sir Citibank!
P2: SBI?
Me: SBI domestic is using flexcube and International branches are using finacle..
P2: they are using TCSs software..is what I believe..
Me: (the bloody dunce that I am) maybe sir am not sure then but the international branches are using finacle..
P2:lets see..E&TC; engg. What subjects..remember anyhting of network systems? Or microprocessor?
Me: sir its been 4 years..but FOC was my fav subject(had prepared that) but microprocessor I dont remember much..
P2: (left it at that) what are the two sectors the FM has decided to uplift..
Me : Agriculture and
P2: GDP growth rate of agriculture..
Me : 2%
P2: IT sector contribution to GDP?
Me : sir 30%(bloody fool!)
P2: huh!!!
Me : er..P1 come sin between and says if you dont know say dont know..
P1: what calls?
Me : told
P1: what preference?
Me : IIT Bombay and gyaan
P1 : why MBA?
Me : gyaan
They ask me some more on it and I give more gyaan
P1 : has the IT total revenues crossed the 50billion mark?
P1: commerce minister?
Me : Mr. kamal nath
P1 : seats in Gujarat assembly?
Me : 187..
P1 : 182!
Me : oops yes sir 182
P1 :lower house of parliament?
Me : 552
P1 : not 545?
Me : sir 552
P1 : states in india
Me : 28 sir..
P1 : 28?
Me : 28 + 1 delhi sir..
P1 : 28+1 or 28 -1?
Me : plus 1 sir..
All right thank you and do well
I got raped left right and centre and when they saw that this dumbpopat knows nothing he started asking me regular gk questions! And I really wanted to convert SJMSoM with all my heart.

I totally agree with Sidharth. We should study some basic concepts of our engineering subjects and it is mentioned in many posts that if u had any management subjects in ur Grads then we oughta go through them...

He was asking me subjects which were in 2nd year of Engineering, approximately 4 years old. How many of us do remember things which happened 4 years back..
not just this, those were the subjects which really are not really related to my work and my field either and also not to forget, they were the ones of his field.
Does it really make sense to ask something that they know and they fairly had an idea that i wouldn't remember.

And also to mention: I did revise the subjects such as(OS, DataStructure, OOPS, Networks, DBMS, Algo), 'coz i knew that is IIT and I am expected to know that. But y such unrelated subjects. No one can really justify this.

He should have asked things related to me and not to him.