Singapore - MBA course and life questions

hi guys. this thread is mainly for those who are living in Singapore rite now but can also be answered by ppl who have lived in/long-term visited Singapore in the past. prospective students who have info are also welcome, ofc! a bit about me:…

hi guys. this thread is mainly for those who are living in Singapore rite now but can also be answered by ppl who have lived in/long-term visited Singapore in the past. prospective students who have info are also welcome, ofc!

a bit about me: (can skip if u feel it's tl;dr)
===================================
After almost 4 yrs of work exp (I'm turning 28 this month), i am now planning on doing an MBA from Singapore. So far, I've got a confirmed acceptance from MDIS for their Univ. of Bradford MBA program and am waiting on SMU's response at the end of September. I actually don't mind either option, as each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

I am quite adept at living outside India and even went to boarding school for high school onwards. I've lived in Europe and the US (both for school) and thus know the ways and (most) tricks of student life. Dont wanna bore u with details, just letting u know before ppl start stating the obvious.

My questions are:

a. In your opinion, how DOES SMU stack up to the other schools? I know they're supposed to be quite prestigious, but it's strange to note the following facts:
- they've only offered an MBA program for 1 year now (and are thus not ranked by the Financial Times)

Conversely, how good do u think MDIS' MBA programs are? Know anyone that completed any of them?

b. Do u or any of ur acquaintances have rooms/apartments that they're willing to rent? My per month rent budget is anywhere between SGD 300 and 750, with 450-650 being ideal rates. FYI, i plan on being there until at least Dec. 2010.

c. Regarding rent again - iyo, what's the best option for (somewhat mature) student accomodation? is it the dorms/hostels or HDB homestays/subleases? I say somewhat mature becoz i prefer to get a single room OR a roomie that's above 20 years old. (I am NOT putting myself thru undergrad hell again, except for its fun parts)

d. What can one expect to spend per month on food (groceries+eating out occasionally), alcohol and other party expenses? Even partying, I'm talking about going clubbing maybe once or twice a month. Otherwise I'm content with house parties and hanging out.
Long question short - how much do YOU guys spend on food and entertainment per month??

e. Do banks offer good choices for student accounts or basic checking accounts? Which banks would u recommend? Would Citibank be a good choice? (I'm only asking since I have a Citi acct in India and foresee easier transfers that way)
Is it easy to apply for a credit card if u're NOT working but can show other income (i.e. parents wire me money, I wire myself money, etc)?

f. I know SG has a great public transport system (one of the reasons I wanted to go there as a student, coz not having a car elsewhere sucks). However, how close to campus would u recommend I stay to avoid long commutes? For example, can I get from the downtown/east area to Queenstown/Jurong relatively quickly using the MRT/bus lines? How quick, if u've made this trip??

thanks for your time and effort, if any!

cliff notes:
28 yo Indian guy from Bangalore with extensive international experience
Going to Singapore for a 1 to 1.5 year MBA
Need answers to above questions

Hi Javeed,

Sorry I don't have answers for u but 've questions. I am also looking for MBA in singapore ,applied at SMU and dinged thr. watz the update with ur SMU admission?. Now my question is regarding Bradford MBA. Now I am applying for Bradford( work ex:3 yrs, Gmat: 650 and avg academics) do u think I'll get the admission. Any suggestion reg Bradford will appreciated.Pls reply ASAP as I am already late for Nov intake.

Hi Siva,

Well, not a problem, I'm close to finding out most of the answers to my queries anyway.

Unfortunately, my SMU response was not positive (just got it yesterday), so MDIS it is!

With ur credentials (they're very similar to mine - 640 GMAT, avg. academics (US degree), but 3.5 yrs of work exp at the time of applying), you should be able to get into MDIS quite easily. But which intake are u planning for? U are late for the november intake but there is a March intake as well.

lemme know if u need further guidance. I'm in touch with the country advisor for India as well as Edwise Edu. consultants in Bangalore. Let me know if u'd like their contacts.

take care and all the best!

Hi Javeed ,

You replied at the correct time. I also applying through Edwise only. I am applying for this Nov intake only. If I can produce all my financial documents by Oct 1st most probably I can get into . So I am working on my Financial documents. Did you get your VISA?. Please PM your mobile number . I recently came from Bangalore after working there for 2 years .

Siva, the ICA Student Pass serves as the visa. According to the MDIS orientation video, it looks like an ICA document is issued for clearance and travel to Singapore. Once there, students have to collect their official, laminated student pass.

my ICA was just filed yesterday, I was told, and will take about 3-4 weeks. will PM u my number soon. also, where ru at now? in Bangalore? or elsewhere? (didnt really understand the last part of ur post regarding where u are 😃 )

im in vizag,AP. upto dec 2008 I worked in Bangalore.u got anybody for sharing accommodation?

Hi again Siva,

I'm currently hunting for single HDB/apartment subleased rooms in Singapore near the MDIS area. My current budget is up to SGD 700/month, maybe 750 incl. utilities. Please let me know ur budget as well...perhaps we can share an accommodation!

there seem to be some good options esp. for 2-3 ppl who don't mind sharing living costs. If spread between ourselves (and maybe even a 3rd person if we find one), we can EASILY find a good apartment that has 2 rooms with attached baths with no owner living there!

Well Parvez, I am certainly interested in sharing accommodation , I don't have much knowledge about rents over there and I have not worked on my budget but I would certainly cut my costs as much as possible. So I will in be in if u want to share the accommodation.

the problem with trying for hostels now is that most hostels (and esp. their good rooms) will be fully booked (I've already contacted a couple of them).

therefore, it seems like HDB flats and rooms are easier to come by, and seem like a nicer option. PM me ur budget details, we can pool together. I'm in touch with a couple of agents I found on the share-accommodation.sg site, typical costs look like the following:

a. Typical rents for HDB rooms: SGD 400 - 750 for single only/common rooms. Rooms with attached baths are harder to find and usually come at SGD 700+. However, I've been told that if u stay with only one flatmate/owner, the common bathroom is usually only used by you.
Rooms with private entrances are even costlier, falling in the SGD 800+ bracket. There are rooms that are even costlier! These are typically master bedrooms in big luxury condo/apt. buildings.
Some rooms have the option of twin sharing between two ppl, similar to a hostel room. Rent amounts are adjusted accordingly and split.

b. Utilities and internet bills: Looks like these work out to around SGD 50 per month per person. Usually included in the rent quoted.

c. Renting individual apartments/whole flats: This probably works best for groups of 3-4 ppl who plan on traveling and studying together in SG. Some flats (with the owner staying elsewhere) can be gotten for SGD 1200-1400/month, including utilities. Whole apartments with 3-4 rooms can be rented for SGD 2400+/month, maybe not incl. utilities. The advantage here is that u have the whole place to urselves, and have unlimited access to apartment facilities, the living room, and kitchen.

d. Deposits and agent commissions, if applicable: As a deposit, flat owners usually ask for 1 month's rent on top of the first monthly rent amount. Agent commissions are typically 1/2 to 1 full month's rent, to be paid at the time of booking.

For the purposes of this thread, I would highly recommend ppl who intend on going in groups to SG look at option C.

Siva, u and me will probably need to confine ourselves to option A, but be on the lookout for whole flat rental if we can find and afford it!

I know a couple of other people who are going to SG at the same time we plan to, and at least one more that will follow in March 2010. I'm going to pitch the apartment idea to them!

hi guys. this thread is mainly for those who are living in Singapore rite now but can also be answered by ppl who have lived in/long-term visited Singapore in the past. prospective students who have info are also welcome, ofc!

a bit about me: (can skip if u feel it's tl;dr)
After almost 4 yrs of work exp (I'm turning 28 this month), i am now planning on doing an MBA from Singapore. So far, I've got a confirmed acceptance from MDIS for their Univ. of Bradford MBA program and am waiting on SMU's response at the end of September. I actually don't mind either option, as each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

I am quite adept at living outside India and even went to boarding school for high school onwards. I've lived in Europe and the US (both for school) and thus know the ways and (most) tricks of student life. Dont wanna bore u with details, just letting u know before ppl start stating the obvious.

My questions are:

a. In your opinion, how DOES SMU stack up to the other schools? I know they're supposed to be quite prestigious, but it's strange to note the following facts:
- they've only offered an MBA program for 1 year now (and are thus not ranked by the Financial Times)

Conversely, how good do u think MDIS' MBA programs are? Know anyone that completed any of them?

b. Do u or any of ur acquaintances have rooms/apartments that they're willing to rent? My per month rent budget is anywhere between SGD 300 and 750, with 450-650 being ideal rates. FYI, i plan on being there until at least Dec. 2010.

c. Regarding rent again - iyo, what's the best option for (somewhat mature) student accomodation? is it the dorms/hostels or HDB homestays/subleases? I say somewhat mature becoz i prefer to get a single room OR a roomie that's above 20 years old. (I am NOT putting myself thru undergrad hell again, except for its fun parts)

d. What can one expect to spend per month on food (groceries+eating out occasionally), alcohol and other party expenses? Even partying, I'm talking about going clubbing maybe once or twice a month. Otherwise I'm content with house parties and hanging out.
Long question short - how much do YOU guys spend on food and entertainment per month??

e. Do banks offer good choices for student accounts or basic checking accounts? Which banks would u recommend? Would Citibank be a good choice? (I'm only asking since I have a Citi acct in India and foresee easier transfers that way)
Is it easy to apply for a credit card if u're NOT working but can show other income (i.e. parents wire me money, I wire myself money, etc)?

f. I know SG has a great public transport system (one of the reasons I wanted to go there as a student, coz not having a car elsewhere sucks). However, how close to campus would u recommend I stay to avoid long commutes? For example, can I get from the downtown/east area to Queenstown/Jurong relatively quickly using the MRT/bus lines? How quick, if u've made this trip??

thanks for your time and effort, if any!

cliff notes:
28 yo Indian guy from Bangalore with extensive international experience
Going to Singapore for a 1 to 1.5 year MBA
Need answers to above questions

Hi javeed,

I have been working in Singapore for the last 2 years now. I haven't studied here, nor do I have any acquaintainces with students from NUS/NANYANG/SMU; hence I can only answer the queries related to acco and lifestyle.

"b. Do u or any of ur acquaintances have rooms/apartments that they're willing to rent? My per month rent budget is anywhere between SGD 300 and 750, with 450-650 being ideal rates. FYI, i plan on being there until at least Dec. 2010."

You should ideally look for a HDB. However, with a budget of around 600, you can even look out for a condo and share it with 3-5 people depending on the capacity (2/3 bhk). Acco in singapore is absolutely no issues at all! You can stop worrying about that part.

"d. What can one expect to spend per month on food (groceries+eating out occasionally), alcohol and other party expenses? Even partying, I'm talking about going clubbing maybe once or twice a month. Otherwise I'm content with house parties and hanging out.
Long question short - how much do YOU guys spend on food and entertainment per month??"

Cigarettes and booze are damn expensive in Singapore. Marlboro pack costs 11.60 sgd and a heineken bottle costs 6.40 sgd. Glenffidich costs 130-140 sgd. Jack Daniels is for 90 sgd. Chivas Regal 12yrs is 80 sgd. So u can estimate the cost of ur alcohol/cig depending on consumption.

Otherwise, as a student you can easily manage in 600 dollars (excluding the rent part).

The standard of living is very high and as compared to the US /Europe it is a very cheap city. Once you start earning, even 50000 sgd is a huge salary. You can save a lot for a couple of years and can go back to India really rich

"e. Do banks offer good choices for student accounts or basic checking accounts? Which banks would u recommend? Would Citibank be a good choice? (I'm only asking since I have a Citi acct in India and foresee easier transfers that way)
Is it easy to apply for a credit card if u're NOT working but can show other income (i.e. parents wire me money, I wire myself money, etc)?"

No, there are no special offers for students here. The minimum balance at DBS bank(the most preferred retail bank) is 500 sgd. That is a flat scheme.

Citi does have widespread operations. I suggest you compare with DBS and POSB (DBS owns POSB, but they do operate separately) and make a choice.

You can't get a credit card if you a student.

"f. I know SG has a great public transport system (one of the reasons I wanted to go there as a student, coz not having a car elsewhere sucks). However, how close to campus would u recommend I stay to avoid long commutes? For example, can I get from the downtown/east area to Queenstown/Jurong relatively quickly using the MRT/bus lines? How quick, if u've made this trip??"

Commonwealth onwards will be close to SMU. But the rent will become steeper.

Rajat

@Rajatemasek,

That is really useful information , thank you very much.

@ Parvez,

"you can even look out for a condo and share it with 3-5 people depending on the capacity (2/3 bhk)". why don't we try for this option it seems to be good one na.

Hi Parvez,

Can you forward your admission letter and also links if any for Bradford MBA(MDIS) . I find very little in MDIS website.

@Rajatemasek,

That is really useful information , thank you very much.

@ Parvez,

"you can even look out for a condo and share it with 3-5 people depending on the capacity (2/3 bhk)". why don't we try for this option it seems to be good one na.

@ Rajat, thanks for the info!

@ Siva, that's what I've been trying to push in my last message! I've requested some of the agents to try and find such a place, let's see if we can't get some replies regarding those.

my monthly rent budget is 300-600 SD . But as I told you I have not done much research in this area you go ahead with what ever you feel is better. If we find somewhere near university then obviously our budget can be extended.

I am applying for educational loan .banks are asking for admission letter for an rough estimate.As I yet to get my admission letter .Parvez can you forward your admission letter and fee structure and also list of monthly expenses. you can mail me at [email protected] . can you forward it ASAP.