Singapore Management University (SMU) - School of Information Systems

Aspiring Master’s applicants, I am currently a graduate student at the School of Information Systems, Singapore Management University. I understand for most international students choosing to do Master’s in some specialized course is quite ch…

Aspiring Master's applicants,

I am currently a graduate student at the School of Information Systems, Singapore Management University. I understand for most international students choosing to do Master's in some specialized course is quite challenging and one of the biggest decisions of their life. I understand that students offshore have lot of queries regarding the entire admission process. Hence, I would like to pitch in with any assistance I could offer.

Course Name : Master of IT in Business (MITB)

Link : Master of IT in Business

I would make a sincere and honest attempt at answering most of your questions and would try to refer you to the appropriate sources whenever the need arises. Please be advised that all the views I share are from my personal experience at SMU.

All the best!!!
Vaibhav

The Master of IT in Business (Financial Services) programme is now open for application. It closes on 31st May 2012 for the Aug 2012 intake.

More information at http://mitb.sg/fs

Hi,
Would you be able to shed some light on the General MBA program?

Sorry if this is off topic!

Aspiring Master's applicants,

I am currently a graduate student at the School of Information Systems, Singapore Management University. I understand for most international students choosing to do Master's in some specialized course is quite challenging and one of the biggest decisions of their life. I understand that students offshore have lot of queries regarding the entire admission process. Hence, I would like to pitch in with any assistance I could offer.

Course Name : Master of IT in Business (MITB)

Link : Master of IT in Business

I would make a sincere and honest attempt at answering most of your questions and would try to refer you to the appropriate sources whenever the need arises. Please be advised that all the views I share are from my personal experience at SMU.

All the best!!!
Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,
I would like to know more about the Finance track.
1)How popular is the full time course? What is the batch size?
2)Does SMU ensure full time students of finding a year long assignment? I am an international and would have no offer before going to Singapore. For completing the course, capstone project is a must. Does SMU ensure internationals in that?
3)What roles are students usually accepted in after graduation? Business Analysts? Technology Consultants?
4)How good is the faculty interaction?

Thanks for your time.
Hi Vaibhav,
I would like to know more about the Finance track.
1)How popular is the full time course? What is the batch size?
2)Does SMU ensure full time students of finding a year long assignment? I am an international and would have no offer before going to Singapore. For completing the course, capstone project is a must. Does SMU ensure internationals in that?
3)What roles are students usually accepted in after graduation? Business Analysts? Technology Consultants?
4)How good is the faculty interaction?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Adichandak, I can help in some of your queries. Vaibhav can add on if there's anything I missed out. :o

1) You can find the size of the cohorts on the website here: MITB Financial Services Students. Cohort sizes varies across the years from 30+ to 40+. Full and part time students study the same courses. Full time students typically graduate in 1 year and part time, 2 years.

2) Capstone project is a graduation requirements and typically sponsored by a financial institution or a vendor company in the financial service sector. Apart from picking up the necessary skillsets, the capstone project is also an opportunity to network and get connected. For capstone projects, the Programme Office liaise with the company to forward the profiles of interested students for consideration and companies select the students via a process of interviews.

3) Graduates have gone on to work in banks in various roles, ranging from analysts, consultants and management associates. There are some good testimonials here. Master of IT in Business - Alumni Testimonials

4) A unique point about SMU is it's seminar-styled lessons, where classes are small, making for the opportunity for students to interact closely with the faculty.

Another unique point about the MITB programme is its monthly industry seminars, where opportunities are created for students to interact with renowned personalities and knowledge experts from the financial services industry, and to listen to their viewpoints and perspectives.
Hi Adichandak, I can help in some of your queries. Vaibhav can add on if there's anything I missed out. :o

2) Capstone project is a graduation requirements and typically sponsored by a financial institution or a vendor company in the financial service sector. Apart from picking up the necessary skillsets, the capstone project is also an opportunity to network and get connected. For capstone projects, the Programme Office liaise with the company to forward the profiles of interested students for consideration and companies select the students via a process of interviews.

Thanks FSTO.

Follow up questions on point 2 - Will I get a capstone project before joining the course? Is it possible?
Can you explain me how is the process like for an international student who has come to Singapore just for studying this course, has no capstone project offer in hand, no Singapore work experience. Typically, how long does it take for such a student to find a capstone project?
All classes happen in the evening. Therefore, it is essential for me to find a capstone project ASAP after coming to Singapore. Is there any one that you know of that did not find a capstone project?

Follow up on point 3 - All testimonials mentioned are from 2008. What are the latest companies and roles that students are accepted in? And also, are there any placement stats available?

Too many questions!!!

Thanks again for your time

The capstone project component is compulsory and getting one is a collaborative effort between the school and the student, in a way that the school finds the company sponsor and the student works hard to get himself selected through the interview process. This process of student-project match is usually done early in the course so that the project can quickly kick off.

Only in rare circumstance do students not do a capstone project, and that's because these students are already project executives/managers from the financial services industry and have requested to take courses instead as a replacement for capstone project. Rationale being the fact that they are already involved in such projects daily and will benefit more from taking courses instead.

You can find information about where alumnus have gone for employment after the course in the following link: Master of IT in Business - Alumni Stats

Hope this helps!

The capstone project component is compulsory and getting one is a collaborative effort between the school and the student, in a way that the school finds the company sponsor and the student works hard to get himself selected through the interview process. This process of student-project match is usually done early in the course so that the project can quickly kick off.

Only in rare circumstance do students not do a capstone project, and that's because these students are already project executives/managers from the financial services industry and have requested to take courses instead as a replacement for capstone project. Rationale being the fact that they are already involved in such projects daily and will benefit more from taking courses instead.

You can find information about where alumnus have gone for employment after the course in the following link: Master of IT in Business - Alumni Stats

Hope this helps!

Thanks a bunch FSTO. This helps ease some uncertainty about the capstone project.
I am actually inclined towards this course given my background of 4 years in financial services technology. Looking forward to applying.
Also, what about accommodation? Is it on campus?

Hi adichandak,

Regarding the accommodation, the hostels are not exactly provided on campus. But yes, SMU has arranged for accommodation facilities which are very close to the university. And the biggest advantage is university is located at the center of the city.. :)

Also, you can find the your own accomd. There are many students who live on a sharing basis and divide the expenses.

Hi adichandak,

Regarding the accommodation, the hostels are not exactly provided on campus. But yes, SMU has arranged for accommodation facilities which are very close to the university. And the biggest advantage is university is located at the center of the city.. :)

Also, you can find the your own accomd. There are many students who live on a sharing basis and divide the expenses.

Thanks Vaibhav. Yea. Its close to Sim Lim if I remember correctly. Good location.
Can you guys please share your backgrounds and the capstone projects that you are working in? I understand I am asking a lot of questions 😃 Else it would be best if you can PM me your skype ID. Would love to have a quick conversation.

Thanks again.
Thanks Vaibhav. Yea. Its close to Sim Lim if I remember correctly. Good location.
Can you guys please share your backgrounds and the capstone projects that you are working in? I understand I am asking a lot of questions 😃 Else it would be best if you can PM me your skype ID. Would love to have a quick conversation.

Thanks again.

Hey..!!!

I guess discussing the details of my capstone is not so wise on a public forum. You can actually have a look at the variety of capstone projects done by students on our website which we have quoted in our previous posts.

Warm Regards,
Vaibhav

Hi adichandak. I sent you a PM! 😃

For people who happens to be in Singapore during this period, the Master of IT in Business (Financial Services) office is conducting its first information session at the SMU campus this 23rd Feb 2012 from 7pm to 9pm

More details available here: Masters Seminars

:o

Like us on Facebook here: Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More to receive your daily dosage of news and event announcements about the course.

Hi Guys,

Is anyone applying to SMU's Masters of Applied Program. Please share any insights on this program you might have.

Hi Guys,

Is anyone applying to SMU's Masters of Applied Finance Program. Please share any insights on this program you might have.

Can anyone give some advice regarding SMU's MBA program?

Hi FSTo,
Keep upp the good work.

I want to apply for the Master of IT in Business (Financial Services) . Is this course only meant for finance background people?
I am lilttle apprehensive in applying for this course thinking that this course is only meant for poeple with finance knowledge or backgroud. I have none. please find my profile below:
-BTECH (IT) with 75%
-1 year marketing experience as aterritory manager
-2.4 years IT experience in COGNIZANT
- GMAT : yet to give ( what is the average score, if required by the council)

What are my chances. Any kind help is highly apprecitaed..
Thanks
Karan singh

Hi Karanksk,

The MITB (FS) programme is meant for people who wants to move into, or are already within the tech and ops space in the financial services sector. Many of us didn't have any finance knowledge when I started to course back in 2007. Some of my classmates came from the financial services sector, but were focused on a specific area, say, data center operations. So in a way, they started "fresh" too.

I remember a classmate from with around 2 years experience or so in IT back in his home country. He now works at a global investment bank. That's quite similar to what you have.

GMAT is required for all SMU Master's programme. So you got to take it. According to this: Admission for Master of IT in Business (Financial Services), you could be conditionally accepted if you haven't gotten your GMAT score, but you will need to produce it before matriculation.

The brochure has this to say about GMAT:

"GMAT score is only one indicator of the candidate's ability as we take into consideration other positive attributes to determine the admission decision. The best advice we can provide to prospective applicants is to put in sufficient time and effort..."