Simon Rochester vs. Babcock Wake Forest

Guys, I have been accepted to both these universities (Simon and Wake Forest) for the fall 2007 M.B.A session. Which one do you recommend I take, and why? Ashish

Guys,

I have been accepted to both these universities (Simon and Wake Forest) for the fall 2007 M.B.A session. Which one do you recommend I take, and why?

Ashish

Threads like these always interest me! And for so many reasons!!

Below, in random order

a.) I know nothing AbSO-LU-Tely nothing about you and you still want me to tell you which college I would recommend for you. AND WHY!!
b.) Didnt you know what you are appying to?? Getting admitted into a college is such an "involved" process-- you fill out the form, write essays and then get interviewed. If at the end of it all, you dont know which one's better for you how would we?

You asked for it...here goes!

27/m/India...been in the US working in consulting for 4 years. Gmat 730.

I took the gmat in March of this year so I was excluded from applying to most top schools this year. I have rock solid essays, and I have been accepted by 3 out of 4 schools that I applied to. (Fordham, Simon and Wake Forest). I am waiting on CMU's Tepper School of Business.

I have 2 dilemmas. Should I go to school this year, or apply to the top 20 for next year. My application is strong except for the flaky undergrad GPA. Also, I do not have the suicidal core IT concentration on my resume. Instead, I have advised managements of our newspaper clients across the country and led teams of 20+ people.

Neo, the application process is more draining than anything I have done in the last year. I totally appreciate the 'involvement' you are talking about. You know my profile...now advise!

ashish,
gmat 730 and non it is good...fordham??? how did u choose that with ur gmat? simon is better I think. But u might get schools like NYU stern, yale, ucla which are far bigger brands. I would drop the year and go for a better school with the background and score u have. best of luck...still do tell me why u chose Fordham? did u get full scol there?

sunil

Sunil

I was so late in applying this year that I figured I'd apply to anything. (I was applying to Rollins as well; that changed after the first admit).

Now here is the thing. Inspite of the 730 GMAT score, I have some red flags on my application...you tell me how red they are.

1. My undergrad is from Delhi University - 3 year degree (GPA 2.9 - 3.0)
2. 4+ Work experience from a national newspaper consulting company in the US. The company is relatively small and does not have a 'McKinsey' style name. I am not sure how that will play, even though I have 2 years of management experience.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ashish,
r u saying u dont have 16 yrs education. that might be a problem in some schools but u need to check on that. if simon has given u admit with 15 yrs then it should be fine with many others. gpa 3 shouldnt be a problem. sSimon is a great school-it just obviously doesnt have the branding of the m7 etc or some others. with a 730, i am aware of many who have made it to the top ones. infact this year a friend with 730 gmat and 4 yrs work ex in finance got yale, CMU, UNC kenan flager, UCLA, simon-full scol, waitlist at tuck. so i think u have a better proifile than him as he falls in the indian finance cat where there is immense competition. atleast u have marketing background. btw how did u reach the US with just a DU degree? its rare. sorry what is rollins?
since u have management experiance and get some decent extra curricular..infact u can get some volunteer work in these next few months and make ur apps stronger for 2008. with a gmat 730 i think it would cover the red flags u think u have....do check on the 3-4 yr undergrad rule..that maybe the only catch. defer simon anyway and keep it as backup for next year.

Ashish,
btw how did u reach the US with just a DU degree? its rare. sorry what is rollins?
quote]

Yeah seriously how? I also have a 3 year undergrad but with an avg. score, currently doing my masters.

why can't he be in US? he is working, not studying - it doesn't matter if he has a 3yr or a 4yr degree

SImon - simple as that - its a top 5 school in Finance by the way...BUT if you have followed the other thread about US visa cap, I would suggest talking to the international students there regarding work visa scenario, which is pretty bad in the US now for MBA intl students especially for the schools ranked beyond top 15.

Go for Fordham if you plan to live in NYC and are considering part-time...

Guys,

I have been accepted to both these universities (Simon and Wake Forest) for the fall 2007 M.B.A session. Which one do you recommend I take, and why?

Ashish

Hi there. Just another addition. I am looking for the winter session in January 2008. I got in touch with the Dikrector-Admission-SIMON for certain queries and he not only answered my queries but also sent me an application fee waiver certidicate. What does this mean? Why did he waive my fees? I mean, I just sent him a 2-3 para email asking a few post MBA questions. He doesnt know me that well.

But the deputy director sent me an email saying that I wont be able to do the summer internship in the US due to VISA restrictions. What is this? Is this true? She said I'll have to either go for an international internship or forego the internship totally and take electives in the summers.

This is a cause of concern dudes. Any body would like to express his opinion? Would be grateful.

Simon-Rochester takes people for the Jan session and due to the shorter duration of the program, students dont get the time for internship......it is a good option for people with substantial work-ex and/or people who are not alloking at a career-switch...and in this current H1B visa scenario, it becomes even more risky....u can also follw the simon rochester thread for more info.....

I Don't know why he said that regarding visas for internships because you don't need a visa..but yeah for full time jobs there is a visa crunch in US for the last 2 years or so - browse through the other thread regarding US Visa Cap in this forum..and don't assume you will be given internships on a platter - it works different abroad, you have to fight for one.

Hi there. Just another addition. I am looking for the winter session in January 2008. I got in touch with the Dikrector-Admission-SIMON for certain queries and he not only answered my queries but also sent me an application fee waiver certidicate. What does this mean? Why did he waive my fees? I mean, I just sent him a 2-3 para email asking a few post MBA questions. He doesnt know me that well.

But the deputy director sent me an email saying that I wont be able to do the summer internship in the US due to VISA restrictions. What is this? Is this true? She said I'll have to either go for an international internship or forego the internship totally and take electives in the summers.

This is a cause of concern dudes. Any body would like to express his opinion? Would be grateful.