Simon or BU

Hi guys, I’ve to choose between Simon ($15k/yr schol) and BU ($30k/yr schol) I’m really fried pondering this over. Here’s my brief profile. B.E Etrx SPCE, Mumbai University (Acads avg) Extra-curric (good) work-exp -1.5yrs wit…

Hi guys,

I've to choose between Simon ($15k/yr schol) and BU ($30k/yr schol)
I'm really fried pondering this over. Here's my brief profile.

B.E Etrx SPCE, Mumbai University (Acads avg)
Extra-curric (good)

work-exp
-1.5yrs with GE in the SAP Finance/Controlling domain
-2.5 yrs with Edelweiss Capital - Risk Management (my work includes market risk modeling and operation risk mitigation and control across the board)
-helped my family set up an online spoken english tutoring model (www.easyspokenenglish.com)

My immediate career objectives are to pursue a career in Strategy Consulting with a specialization in Financial Consulting, such as M&A; strategy consulting.

By interacting with students from Boston and Simon, and through general research on the web, here's what I've gathered.

Simon
Pros
1) Very good course in Finance, ranked among the top 15 courses in the country.
Cons
1) Very difficult for international students to get placements, a very few companies come on campus.
2) Farther from NYC and Boston where most of the financial hub is, hence, networking is difficult.

Boston
Pros
1) Very lucrative scholarship amount
2) In the heart of Boston - the financial hub and close to NYC. Hence, networking is a lot simpler.
Cons
1) Not highly ranked. Ranks 46th in the US as compared to Simon which is ranked 29th.
2) More known for IT and General Management, although, it has a decent Finance course.

Could you please help me decide which one I must pick?

Tejas

guys...anyone?

Job mkts are pretty bad even for the top schools - barring H/S. My personal view is things are going to get a lot worse from here on. Given the circumstances, i would opt BU, purely due to the schol and nothing else.
Last thing you need after 2 yrs is no job/ and a big loan to pay back in USD!

Ditto thought process. In these times schols matter more.

Hi Tejas,

Congrats on the great schols you got from the schools.

I think you need to try to understand the oppurtunities available to you post MBA.
Thats the tough part to measure.

If you feel location is going to be advantageous then go for BU. And if you prize the faculty/course as more reliable indicator of the oppurtunity pipeline, you can try Simon.

About the US job scene, I am hoping that it will be a lot better from now. And its improving its outlook.
The objective of injecting trillions of dollars was to halt the dive and try to find the bottom. By the time B-School is over, this storm will be too.

BTW, I got an admit to Simon for 2010 and I am still considering it.

Please express your thoughts and do some thinking aloud!!

`later.....

I hope you guys do realize that now most of the companies have stopped sponsoring H1 visas for internationals. Please keep that in mind before you spend lot of money for MBA.

Hey thanks guys. Couldn't reply earlier.
I have a revised offer from Simon for $20k schol per year.

Could anyone tell me if SImon has had poor placements historically, or it's only during the last two years?

Thanks,
Tejas

Hey thanks guys. Couldn't reply earlier.
I have a revised offer from Simon for $20k schol per year.

Could anyone tell me if SImon has had poor placements historically, or it's only during the last two years?

Thanks,
Tejas

Hi Tejas....here's a quick question.....did you have to write to them for a revised schol or was it just something they did on their own?? I have an admit from Simon too but only 10k a year
:(