SIBM pune 2009-11 GD-PI experiences

hi puys,the GD-PI process for SIBM Pune has kicked off today…lets continue here with the GD-PI experiences…i couldn’t find any thread for the same so starting a new one myself…:)so here goes my experience in next post…

hi puys,the GD-PI process for SIBM Pune has kicked off today....lets continue here with the GD-PI experiences....i couldn't find any thread for the same so starting a new one myself...:)so here goes my experience in next post...

Hey,
Request to all those guys who are done with their SIBM GD/PI's today to please post their experiences as it would be really helpful for others. Were there any shocks or is there any change in the format than last year?? Did you'll have a GD or a case study?? Lots of questions to be answered so guys please help..

hi puys,

i had my SIBM GD-PI today at the new Lavale Campus...
first of all my sincere thanks to the seniors in the admissions team who made it very smooth...
my details were
group 1A10
time 9:00 AM

we were directed to reach the SIBM old campus at S.B. road at 7:30 so that we could board the bus for the new campus for there...

reached there in time and boarded the bus...
talked with the other aspirants and some one told that we being the first batch to be interviewed, will set the tone for the whole process and the season...

it was a nice ride to the new campus...
it is located on a hill top and the view was amazing...

we were received by the admissions team...
there i met tarun (tzsrivastava) and shobhan (shobhan.dash)...

we were seated in a big lecture theater where all the registration formalities were done...
after that we were taken to the assembly hall...
there were many groups in the 9 AM slot and had their simultaneous GD-PIs scheduled...

our group had 3 girls and 7 boys...
we were first told to have our PIs done...

so turn by turn wee went inside the room where the panel was sitting...
i was wondering what were they asking in the sort span of 5-6 minute...:)

finally my turn came...
there were 3 people in the panel...
P1 (a middle aged man, may be the professor)
P2 (an old man, looking very learned)
P3 (youngest of the three, may be from the industry)

i entered the room with usual wishing and all stuff...
P1 : please have your seat.
me : thank you sir...

P1 : describe yourself...
me : blah blah (the usual stuff)
(P2 smiled and paid attention after hearing my work ex as an SAP consultant)

P1 : why do you want to have an MBA then...:shocked:
me : gave answer...

P1 : but how will SIBM help you...
me : again some gyaan...

P3 : how do you see your self after 2 years...(again :rockedov:..abe kuch aur bhi pooch lo..:))
me : replied...

P1: but the position you want to be in is very MUNDANE...(ohhoo)
me : (smiled) no sir i don't believe so...and some gyaan...

P3 : tell me what you will do after MBA (abe firr se wohi question)
me : replied again...

P1 : OK Raghav, thank you...you may leave...
me: thank you...:shocked: (khatam bhi ho gya???)

so it hardly went on for 5-6 minutes...and i think i convinced them by sticking to my point...

next was the group task...
in the mean time we were offered snacks...(sandwiches and idli, bahut der baad jaan main jaan aayiii :))

in the group task we entered a separate room containing some props and the panel...
first of all a psychometric test was given to us to be completed in a duration of 3 minutes....( overall 32 questions...)
then we were told about the task...
we had to balance the whole group (10 ppl) on 3 bricks for 30 seconds...:rockedov:

first of all couldn't figure out how to do it...???
but then we strategised...
kept the bricks in the form of a triangle (vertices) and 3 ppl stood on them...
other people were asked to remove their shoes and stand on our feet..
we had 3 girls so that was a problem...
but they gelled well with us and co-operated really nicely...
so we made it successfully...:clap:
quite satisfied we were...

then again after half an hour we were taken to another room for the GD...
a case study was given about Mr. Chatterjee...and his new invention...
his paper being published in a journal and they had asked for clarification regarding the same...
Mr. Chatterjee was annoyed and we had to help him out...

we were given 10 minutes to understand the case and start after that...
the discussion was quite good...not at all a fish market...
everyone except one guy chipped in with some or the other points (some good and some off track)
i entered 5 times and spoke some points...
then finally the bell rang after 15-17 minutes and 3 people were asked to summarize the whole thing...(i wasn't asked)

so that was the whole experience....
so after that we had a group photo clicked by my mobile and started in the college bus to the old campus at S B Road...

the whole process took around 4 hours to be complete i.e. from 10 AM to 2 PM in the afternoon...

keeping my fingers crossed for SIBM now...:)

hi puys,

i had my SIBM GD-PI today at the new Lavale Campus...
first of all my sincere thanks to the seniors in the admissions team who made it very smooth...
my details were
group 1A10
time 9:00 AM

we were directed to reach the SIBM old campus at S.B. road at 7:30 so that we could board the bus for the new campus for there...

reached there in time and boarded the bus...
talked with the other aspirants and some one told that we being the first batch to be interviewed, will set the tone for the whole process and the season...

it was a nice ride to the new campus...
it is located on a hill top and the view was amazing...

we were received by the admissions team...
there i met tarun (tzsrivastava) and shobhan (shobhan.dash)...

we were seated in a big lecture theatre where all the registration formalities were done...
after that we were taken to the assembly hall...
there were many groups in the 9 AM slot and had their simultaneous GD-PIs scheduled...

our gruop had 3 girls and 7 boys...
we were first told to have our PIs done...

so turn by turn wee went inside the room where the panel was sitting...
i was wondering what were they asking in the sort span of 5-6 minute...:)

finally my turn came...
there were 3 people in the panel...
P1 (a middle aged man, may be the professor)
P2 (an old man, looking very learned)
P3 (youngest of the three, may be from the industry)

i entered the room with usual wishing and all stuff...
P1 : please have your seat.
me : thank you sir...

P1 : describe yourself...
me : blah blah (the ususal stuff)
(P2 smiled and paid attention after hearing my work ex as an SAP consultant)

P1 : why do you want to have an MBA then...:shocked:
me : gave answer...

P1 : but how will SIBM help you...
me : again some gyaan...

P3 : how do you see your self after 2 years...(again :rockedov:..abe kuch aur bhi pooch lo..:))
me : replied...

P1: but the position you want to be in is very MUNDANE...(ohhoo)
me : (smiled) no sir i don't believe so...and some gyaan...

P3 : tell me what you will do after MBA (abe firr se wohi question)
me : replied again...

P1 : OK Raghav, thank you...you may leave...
me: thank you...:shocked: (khatam bhi ho gya???)

so it hardly went on for 5-6 minutes...and i think i convinced them by sticking to my point...

next was the group task...
in the mean time we were offered snacks...(sandwiches and idli, bahut der baad jaan main jaan aayiii :))

in the group task we entered a seperate room containing soime props and the panel...
first of all a psychometric test was given to us to be completed in a duration of 3 minutes....( overall 32 questions...)
then we were told about the task...
we had to balance the whole group (10 ppl) on 3 bricks for 30 seconds...:rockedov:

first of all couldn't figure out how to do it...???
but then we strategised...
kept the bricks in the form of a triangle (vertices) and 3 ppl stood on them...
other people were asked to remove their shoes and stand on our feet..
we had 3 girls so that was a problem...
but they gelled well with us and co-operated really nicely...
so we made it successfully...:clap:
quite satisfied we were...

then again after half an hour we were taken to another room for the GD...
a case study was given about Mr. Chatterjee...and his new invention...
his paper being published in a journal and they had asked for clarification regarding the same...
Mr. Chatterjee was annoyed and we had to help him out...

we were given 10 minutes to understand the case and start after that...
the discussion was quite good...not at all a fish market...
everyone except one guy chipped in with some or the other points (some good and some off track)
i entered 5 times and spoke some points...
then finally the bell rang after 15-17 minutes and 3 people were asked to summarise the whole thing...(i wasn't asked)

so that was the wwhole experemnce....
so after that we had a gropu photo clicked by my mobile and started in the college bus to the old campus at S B Road...

the whole process took around 4 hours to be complete i.e. from 10 AM to 2 PM in the afternoon...

keeping my fingers crossed for SIBM now...:)

Hi Raghav,

can you please give out your profile please.. it would help in knowing what kind of questions are being asked to different people with different profiles like fresher, work-ex, industry & sector etc..

Thanks

puys.. please put on your experiences... dying to read them... after all the first day of SIBM pune GD/PIs... the morning slot peoples would be mostly free by now..

Thanks

hello everyone,

Mine GDPI for SIBM got over today.
i was in group 2c in the after noon batch
reporting time was 1 30 so we were picked up from symbi campus senapati bapat road by bus and taken to symbi lavale campus.

it takes around 1 hour journey so better take their bus service

there was an initial registration process which took alot of time standing.

after that everything was taken by a group co-ordinator assigned to every group for the whole day.

First there was PI
which basically din take very long ....everyone had smooth interview
no grilling at all
tell me about urself
why mba
etc etc

din last more than 5 mins for most of the guys.

Second was GD a casestudy on moral values and ethics
where HR person expells and employee who was formerly a prisoner and had broken prison before workin in the company for 15 yrs.

then HR person gets expelled for breakin employee confidentiality.

then President has to decide about whether to reinstate HR person or not
ours was very good group everyone spoke well n it din get into fish market

Although some groups made it fish market

Third was group task

11 ppl 5 blindfolded have to stand on 3 bricks for 30 seconds
2 mins to strategise 1 min to execute task
we din succeed but our efforts were appreciated

All in all smooth process......we got snacks at the end of the process :((

All the best to Everyone reading the post.

hello everyone,

Mine GDPI for SIBM got over today.
i was in group 2c in the after noon batch
reporting time was 1 30 so we were picked up from symbi campus senapati bapat road by bus and taken to symbi lavale campus.

it takes around 1 hour journey so better take their bus service

there was an initial registration process which took alot of time standing.

after that everything was taken by a group co-ordinator assigned to every group for the whole day.

First there was PI
which basically din take very long ....everyone had smooth interview
no grilling at all
tell me about urself
why mba
etc etc

din last more than 5 mins for most of the guys.

Second was GD a casestudy on moral values and ethics
where HR person expells and employee who was formerly a prisoner and had broken prison before workin in the company for 15 yrs.

then HR person gets expelled for breakin employee confidentiality.

then President has to decide about whether to reinstate HR person or not
ours was very good group everyone spoke well n it din get into fish market

Although some groups made it fish market

Third was group task

11 ppl 5 blindfolded have to stand on 3 bricks for 30 seconds
2 mins to strategise 1 min to execute task
we din succeed but our efforts were appreciated

All in all smooth process......we got snacks at the end of the process :((

All the best to Everyone reading the post.

Strange man... 50 marks ke PI ko 5 min mein khatam kar rahe hai... did you guys get any idea from seniors as to how are the 50 marks for PI alloted? ie how many marks for work ex, acads etc?
anand_953 Says
Strange man... 50 marks ke PI ko 5 min mein khatam kar rahe hai... did you guys get any idea from seniors as to how are the 50 marks for PI alloted? ie how many marks for work ex, acads etc?

Hi Anand,

The exact breakup of the PI is never disclosed, so even we do not know about it. As for the panelists, trust us, they are well qualified to judge people well in a matter of minutes - so don't worry about them making mistakes.

Till last year, there was a flat 5 marks given to ppl with 12 to 30 months of work experience, and 10 marks for >30 months. But the pitfall in such a rule was that it does not give importance to the nature of the work, as well as the value addition resulting from the work. For example, 15 months of work experience as a sales executive would probably be more significant than 15 months of work experience as a software programmer.

Hence, the rules have been changed this time. What the interviewers will most probably look for, is whether your work experience has added any value to your overall personality and mindset. If, even after having, say 5 years of work experience, you do not portray a sense of maturity, clarity of thought and managerial traits in your responses, your work experience is worthless. A similar logic can be applied to academic qualifications v/s actual knowledge.

Evaluations in interviews are subjective to a large extent, and hence there may not be any clearly defined weightage to work experience and acads. All the weight that you have stacked up in your acads, work-experience and extracurriculars should be clearly evident in your responses during the interviews.

Regards,
Vivek S.

hey so is it that there are 3 processes in all ?
1.GD
2. Group Task
3. PI ???

How many minutes of discussion and time to think ? is it so long for every group ? And just a 5-6 min interview ?????:eyepop:

hey so is it that there are 3 processes in all ?
1.GD
2. Group Task
3. PI ???

How many minutes of discussion and time to think ? is it so long for every group ? And just a 5-6 min interview ?????:eyepop:

Guys don't go by the duration of interview It has nothing to do with the selection or rejection. In some cases panelist can make decision in five minutes and in other case it might take more than 30 minute to decide whether to select a candidate or reject.
I had also 5 minute interview and one of my friend's interview lasted for 40 minute and we both are here.........

So chill be calm and confident..........

hi
my story..
:)
had a 9 am slot , got up at 6 took an auto at 7:15
tols tht autowala to take me to S.B ROAD SIBM PUNE campus but tht man took me to HINJEWADI CAMPUS and whn i shouted at him he says "bhaiya mai suna nahi theek se"
i was furious didnt knw wht to do..just paid him and started walking on the road...looking fr anothr auto..
time was paasing just wantd to catch the 8:15 wala bus..else .. :(
suddnly i punjabi guy came frm back and offrd me a lift and dropped me to a nearby auto..(hearty thnx to tht buddy)
i asked tht new auto wala to drive as fast as he can, break signals,charge as much as he want but just make me reach by 8:15
it was 8:20 and i reached sb road campus...was the last one to get into tht 8:15 wala bus..
if i was 2 min late i wud hav missd the bus..the bus of my life indeed..
reached lavale..
beauty at its bliss.
took us to an auditorium ..seated fr few minutes...thn taken for document verifcation...
thn taken to a confrence hall..were i met my group mates..freindly amazing people..(aditya,abhijeet,rakesh,ankit,achal,arpit,nitesh...and 4 more..sorry guys dnt remember ur name..)..again document verification.infact submission of xerox copies of all documents to grp co-ordinator..our was NAKUL ..gr8 guy..
nw taken to a hall.
thre we were said we'll b having PI first..
i was serial no. 10 in grp of 12
wrk ex guys need to b prepared regrdng thre wrk..if wrk ex mre thn 1 year..
fresher...hmmm nthng much..just chilld out..but b prepared fr anythng ..u never knw..
my turn came..
this time i saw many AGARWALS in the process..
in my grp thre were 6 ..
so my first question was..
1. whre frm this agarwal sirname came??
gave answer ...they said good..
2. wht do u want to b in life..
said to hv my own cmpany 1 day..
they said good..
3. wht comapny..wht business..
gv a fitting answer preprd already..
4.gv me 1/2 min time and asked diff. btwn manager and leader..
gave answer...
feel they liked it..
over..process..
was feeling gr8..
thn came GT ..was gvn a form havng some phsycometric questions..
hv to anser in 1 min.(dnt remeber prply.)
thn time fr GT
they made all of us blind folded and said we weill hav to find a rope lying on ground smwhre and thn form a square..
we started crwling as soon as time strd..
but screwed up...
it was not a squre...
thn..
time fr GD..
topic was a case study..on a BEER COMPANY..
10 min time to read and around 15-20 mins fr disscussion..
cudnt understand the topic at onw go..had to read twice..but was still unclear..
i felt it was a tuff one..
sme guys pitched in..with view..and disscussion was randon nt a fish market but nt healty also...
i entred and gave a point which i feel valuable...and dnt knw whthr the panelists liked it or not..
in the later stages the GD was turning out more and more repetaive in views and reiteration of wht was gvn on the piece of paper..
i personally feel we lacked good content and di nt dissucc the main issue..
for me the main isse i think was to dissucc on "how othr beer companies can combat DIAGEO and it was mentiond in the case study at the end tht DAGEO was bcmng a fear for othr companies.
well leve it..
dnt knw wht will they see.
who will gt thrugh..
it all depend in a moment..and it gets over faster thn u think..
thn we went to hv food..idli..sandwich and tea..
thn finally..
filled the feedback form and subbmitted to NAKUL
wished everyone gudluk and shared e-mail ids..
took the bus back to house and now wrting this post..
next stop SCMHRD..
babye...

hi
my story..
had a 9 am slot , got up at 6 took an auto at 7:15

who will gt thrugh..
it all depend in a moment..and it gets over faster thn u think..
thn we went to hv food..idli..sandwich and tea..
thn finally..
filled the feedback form and subbmitted to NAKUL
wished everyone gudluk and shared e-mail ids..
took the bus back to house and now wrting this post..
next stop SCMHRD..
babye...

Yours was a good GD/PI so hope for the best:-P. By when was the whole process over for the 9 AM slot?

From Hinjewadi you could have directly gone to Lavale (via the Mumbai Highway->Sus rd->Lavale) but anyways, you were new to the place.....All the best for the results!

Guys, Did they ask you to fill any form giving your details and stuff.. If they did wat were the questions that you were to answer.. If anybody can post the questions here it will be helpful for others who will be going for their GD/PIs.. Thanks

Hi people,
mine was at 1.30 pm yestrday.
process was very chilled out one and no need to panic or be scared
all the PIs lasted for just 5 mins(1/3rd of pur actual assessment over in just 5 minssss...:confused:)
simple ques like describe urself, family backgrnd, education, some weirdo like 'tell me abt 2 general events ' )

kudos to admissions team for making the whole process so stuctured
case study was there concernd with marketing a product in rural areas people there arent using that product, so how do u go abt it?? blah blah...

the key is just enjoy ur day and dont get tense

Only one form with your basic details, ie. SNAP id, name etc is to be filled before the process.

sunnyboy1985 Says
Guys, Did they ask you to fill any form giving your details and stuff.. If they did wat were the questions that you were to answer.. If anybody can post the questions here it will be helpful for others who will be going for their GD/PIs.. Thanks

Hi All,

Any idea as to whether the SIBM pune results date of 25th feb would be shifted to some other day or will it be the same? This info will be very helpful...
Seniors may be able to help us in this..

Thanks

Hi All,

Any idea as to whether the SIBM pune results date of 25th feb would be shifted to some other day or will it be the same? This info will be very helpful...
Seniors may be able to help us in this..

Thanks

i got an sibm pune call after my marks got revised....and the date i've been given for the gdpi is 26th feb....so i guess the results wont come on 25th feb
hi
my story..

my turn came..
this time i saw many AGARWALS in the process..
in my grp thre were 6 ..
so my first question was..
1. whre frm this agarwal sirname came??
gave answer ...they said good..

babye...

Hey...where did the name agarwal come from ?? I am a gupta and I think that this question is important..
rohan85 Says
Hey...where did the name agarwal come from ?? I am a gupta and I think that this question is important..

c'mon dude... grow up... u can google it urself... ur claimin to be a manager..
why do u wanna be spoonfed and get things easily...
all i mean to say is that ul have to wait fr his reply buddy... it wud hardly take 5 min fr u to search and read abt it... m aggarwal too :)
but wont tell u the answer 😛 ab khud effrt karo bhai... aise kaise manager banega