Sibm bangalore 2009 gd/pi experiences

hi puys sibm gd/pi is starting tommorow,so post your valuable experience here

hi puys sibm gd/pi is starting tommorow,so post your valuable experience here

Puys,
Would appreciate it if everyone first provides some info regarding their profile before sharing their experiences. A sample of what you may include:

-Acads
-SNAP score
-Work Experience
-GD/PI experience
-Additional info for the rest of the puys (as this is first time SIBM-B is conducting its own interview)

Thnx and all the best to all the puys!!

Puys,
Would appreciate it if everyone first provides some info regarding their profile before sharing their experiences. A sample of what you may include:

-Acads
-SNAP score
-Work Experience
-GD/PI experience
-Additional info for the rest of the puys (as this is first time SIBM-B is conducting its own interview)

Thnx and all the best to all the puys!!

I would just like to add one more thing regarding the SIBM process. As they have already mentioned, the final score to qualify would be out of 100 and the break is as follows:

50 - snap score
40 - GD/PI
10 - work ex (where 0-12 exp = 0 marks, 12-30 = 5 marks and 30+ = 10 marks)

Based on this, we can calculate our scores out of 60 now itself based on our snap score and work ex. the remaining 40 marks would be decided based on our performance in GD/PI

For example, i have a SNAP score of 85.5 and work ex of 35 months in TCS... So i can say that i am getting 23.75/50 and 10/10 in snap score section and work ex section of the overall score..

So i have a total of 33.75/60 till now in my kitty.. remaining 40 marks will be decided tomorrow..

Venue - Catering College, Dadar, Mumbai
Time - 7:30 am :eyepop:
10th and 12th scores - in the 80s
SNAP score - 78.75
Work Experience - 22 months IT
List of Documents - Work ex certificate, Caste certificate(not reqd for open category), Form 16 for work ex junta, Last drawn salary slip, SNAP admit card.

Co-ordinators -
Mr. Rohit - Finance student - SIBM B - he's on PG too
Mr. Khulbhushan - Marketing student - SIBM B
Mr. Satya - HR student - SIBM B

KUDOS to them!! They did a fantastic job.

Experience -
Reached the venue at 7.15 am and found it to be completely jam packed! 2 ladies and one gentleman...Prof Mr. Dongre if i am not mistaken...were scrutinizing the documents. The names of the candidates and their respective batches were displayed on a white board. 16 people per batch. In my batch(batch A) around 10-12 had turned up. After checking the documents we were asked to be seated. Since it was the first round of GDPIs the LCD projector, laptop and sound system were not in place. took half n hour to get all that assembled.

8:00 am - Started the presentation about SIBM B. Showed us 2 small clips. 8:30 am - Waiting waiting and more waiting. I dozed off!!!
9:00 am - Finally it was announced that Batch A will have PIs first and Batch B will have the GD first.
9:05 am - The 1st 5 guys of batch A, including myself assembled outside the interview room. The AC was ON and it was freezing cold! The first guy went in...
10:00 - Finally my chance! For 4 guys it took approx 55 mins!!

PI - was very very general. The panel consisted of one mam and 3 gentlemen. Tell us about yourself. Why MBA? Why now? Hobbies? Interests? How many specializations do we have? etc etc. It was a fun interview and they were ever smiling and laughing all the time. All in all was a very mast experience. Didn't feel as though it was an interview. It was more like a conversation. got know that none of the panelists was a teaching faculty at SIBM B. No technical questions were asked to me..and also to the others i spoke to. 2 gentlemen were very quiet and were just observing me. The third gentleman and the mam were firing the questions.
The PI on an average went on for 15-20mins per person.

10:20 - I came out. PI was good...so was it for everybody!
10:20 - 12:20 We all were waiting outside for the PIs to get over.
12:25- Went in for the GD
12:30 -We sat according to our numbers but the mam insisted that we shuffle and sit as we felt like...
12:32- She walks up to me with a bowl full of chits and asks me to pick one.
Topic - Something about dynastic rule in companies VS professional rule...
GD marking pattern -
leadership skills - 2marks
communication skills - 2 marks
general awareness and content - 2 marks
team skills - 4 marks
as told to us by the panelists themselves.the overall gd pi score was not told to us. they only mentioned the break up of the 10 marks alloted to gd.

12:35 - 12: 45 GD. GD was quite good. Not much of a fish market was created. But sadly i felt, not too many original points came up. Sitting in the queue waiting for the interview to take place helped all of us interact and talk freely. We were very comfortable in the GD. No aggressive person was present in the GD thankfully, and almost every1 chipped in.

12:45 - One panelist asked us to summarize. 3-4 guys including me said a few things and that was it.
12:47 - Went out and filled up the feedback form.

KALTI time!!!!! took a cab and went home!

All in all a chilled out process. SIBM B is making a lot of efforts and it shows. They all were very courteous and polite.
I enjoyed the experience!

Thanks anuj, that was very nice ...
just wanted to know few things...
GD marking pattern -was disclosed during presentations or just a inside info?
same apllies to "final score to qualify"... Does sibm tell ur gd-pi score, or its just internal?
wot was the overall reaction of other students...

Venue - Catering College, Dadar, Mumbai
Time - 7:30 am :eyepop:
10th and 12th scores - in the 80s
SNAP score - 78.75
Work Experience - 22 months IT
List of Documents - Work ex certificate, Caste certificate(not reqd for open category), Form 16 for work ex junta, Last drawn salary slip, SNAP admit card.

Co-ordinators -
Mr. Rohit - Finance student - SIBM B - he's on PG too
Mr. Khulbhushan - Marketing student - SIBM B
Mr. Satya - HR student - SIBM B

KUDOS to them!! They did a fantastic job.

Experience -
Reached the venue at 7.15 am and found it to be completely jam packed! 2 ladies and one gentleman...Prof Mr. Dongre if i am not mistaken...were scrutinizing the documents. The names of the candidates and their respective batches were displayed on a white board. 16 people per batch. In my batch(batch A) around 10-12 had turned up. After checking the documents we were asked to be seated. Since it was the first round of GDPIs the LCD projector, laptop and sound system were not in place. took half n hour to get all that assembled.

8:00 am - Started the presentation about SIBM B. Showed us 2 small clips. 8:30 am - Waiting waiting and more waiting. I dozed off!!!
9:00 am - Finally it was announced that Batch A will have PIs first and Batch B will have the GD first.
9:05 am - The 1st 5 guys of batch A, including myself assembled outside the interview room. The AC was ON and it was freezing cold! The first guy went in...
10:00 - Finally my chance! For 4 guys it took approx 55 mins!!

PI - was very very general. The panel consisted of one mam and 3 gentlemen. Tell us about yourself. Why MBA? Why now? Hobbies? Interests? It was a fun interview and they were ever smiling and laughing all the time. All in all was a very mast experience. Didn't feel as though it was an interview. It was more like a conversation. got know that none of the panelists was a teaching faculty at SIBM B. No technical questions at all were asked to me..and also to the others i spoke to. 2 gentlemen were very quiet and were just observing me. The third gentleman and the mam were firing the questions.
The PI on an average went on for 15-20mins per person.

10:20 - I came out. PI was good...so was it for everybody!
10:20 - 12:20 We all were waiting outside for the PIs to get over.
12:25- Went in for the GD
12:30 -We sat according to our numbers but the mam insisted that we shuffle and sit as we felt like...
12:32- She walks up to me with a bowl full of chits and asks me to pick one.
Topic - Something about dynastic rule in companies VS professional rule...
GD marking pattern -
leadership skills - 2marks
communication skills - 2 marks
general awareness and content - 2 marks
team skills - 4 marks

12:35 - 12: 45 GD. GD was quite good. Not much of a fish market was created. But sadly i felt, not too many original points came up. Sitting in the queue waiting for the interview to take place helped all of us interact and talk freely. We were very comfortable in the GD. No aggressive person was present in the GD thankfully, and almost every1 chipped in.

12:45 - One panelist asked us to summarize. 3-4 guys including me said a few things and that was it.
12:47 - Went out and filled up the feedback form.

KALTI time!!!!! took a cab and went home!

All in all a chilled out process. SIBM B is making a lot of efforts and it shows. They were all very courteous and polite.
I enjoyed the experience!

hey buddy can you please tell me wat kind of ans we shd give for the questions like " tell us smthng bout urself"
:detective:

Had my GD PI today. Here goes my experience:

Some stats : GD PI was done in 3 slots 7:30AM Batch, 1:30PM Batch and 4:00PM Batch. There were 4 groups in each slot and each group consisted of 15-16 students. In all close to 180+ students were being called a day.

Got one info that the conversion ratio will be 15:1...i.e out of every 15 only 1 will be selected...you can accordingly calculate the total calls...

The reason for this high ratio being increase in the no. of eligible students after updated SNAP score.

One more info ...Summer Placements have been 60% completed and they will be out with the report probably nex week..

Here goes my exp :

Reached center @ 1PM..
GD : Topic was "one billion plus population and one bronze". The panel informed about the marks allocated to various skills. There were 16 students in my group and 14 reported. GD was a disaster...big fish market. Panel intervened and asked us to take care else she will give zero to the entire group. In the end she randomly chose any one and asked him the name of other person in our group. She asked this to 2 persons but none knew. So here is a suggestion....do get to know your group members before GD.

PI (Same GD panel - both of them from industry):Something related to GD, then Why MBA, what if not MBA this year...Everything was related to my work ex....thats all...

Good experience...Guys from SIBM were really putting in effort.
Do have some snacks before going there as we didnt get anything except water to drink...:)

Marks allocation is as :

SNAP Score : 50 Marks (Method of calculation ...((Snap score)/(180))*50
GD : 10 Marks (leadership skills - 2marks, communication skills - 2 marks,
general awareness and content - 2 marks, team skills - 4 marks)

PI: 25 marks
Work Ex: 10 Marks
Acads : 5 Marks

All the info which I have provided, have got from the SIBM students there.
Hope it helps...All the best to all of you..

Thanks a lot for posting the experience.Could you please tell what all questions came regrading the work experience? Thanks

successstar Says
Thanks a lot for posting the experience.Could you please tell what all questions came regrading the work experience? Thanks

Questions like are you going for MBA because of meltdown in IT sector? (Since i am from IT background), what majors would you be taking...thats all..mine was avery short one...10 mins at max..

hi can u pl tell major=specialization right?

Hello friends,
Would like to share my experience at SIBM Bangalore GD/PI.

My reporting time was 4:00 p.m. on the 21st February.
Reached the venue at 3:00 p.m and was directly led to a waiting room where the Deputy Director of SIBM Bang Mr.Dilipraj Dongre was sitting along with other members across a table verifying documents.
I registered and got my documents verified.
Then followed a patient wait for an hour.
At 4, one of the student co-ordinators started with the presentation on SIBM Bangalore followed by a Q and A session.
At around 4:20 p.m., I was informed that i was a part of a 16 member team who would have their GDs first up.
So, I along with 11 others(3 were absent) were led to another room at around 4:30 p.m.We did not have a normal GD.We were given a situation wherein a plane is about to crash and there are 8-9 passengers of different professions(doctor,scientist,soldier,actress...etc.etc.) on board and we had only 3 parachutes.Whom would you save???(guess most of us have already gone through such a discussion in mock GDs)
The discussion time was only 10 mins.We managed somehow and got the conclusion to 4 people of different profession and we were left with only one to eliminate out of the four when the panelists said that the time was over.
Then we came out of the room and had to wait in the lobby for the interviews.
The PI was conducted by the same panelists who were there for the GDs.
I went for my PI at around 5:15 p.m.The first question which was asked was regarding what I said in the GD(Be careful what you say in the GDs as the panelists will quiz you on that).Then followed the standard questions like why an MBA?, describe yourself, strengths and weaknesses,something on work-ex and thats all(no technical questions asked).My interview lasted around 10 mins and that was it.
Post the PI I was given a feedback form to fill and then that was the end of the entire process.For me, the entire process got over by 5:50 p.m.(the fastest of all the Symbiosis process I have been through).
Overall it was a pleasant experience.However,I don't know what they were trying to gauge out in such a short GD and PI.Guess I will have to wait and watch now.

All the best to all call getters.

Mukul Mehra
SNAP Score : 81.5(post revision)
Work-Ex : 14 months
B.E. : 70%
12th : 89%
10th : 83%

Hi Friends,

Had my GD/PI today in Dadar Catering Hotel(1:30) slot.

1) Pre - GD/PI

We were alloted into 4 groups of 14 each and we had to register ourselves by showing them the call letter, work ex certificate, last month's salary slip...
We were shown a video on SIBM - B.

2)GD

Topic:The state of management education in India should be improved or not?
In our group 12 students were present and 2 were absent.We got 3 mins to think about the topic and then we were signaled to start.
For the first 2 minutes people were very cooperative and i got a chance to say a good point without interruption. But after GD was much of a commotion,but few good voices were still audible and we did make good points then too. After 10 mins the panel took 4 names and asked them to participate more.(strange):eyepop:
We were signaled to stop the discussion after 12 mins from the start.

3) PI

Two Profs(male)

They asked me questions on my work ex ,

1)why do i want to leave the comfort of my current office and package and do an mba?
(I have 18 mnths work ex in TCS)
Me: gyaan.........

1a)No , i mean that in terms of ROI? Why do want to leave your current package and invest 9 lakhs in SIBM?

Me: Investment in education is the best investment for me at this stage........

2) How is life in TCS?
Me: Had a prepared answer::xmas:

3) Who will replace Ramadorai when he retires this year?
Me: N Chandrashekhar (Present COO of TCS)

4) Any 2 qualities of Ramadorai u would like to learn from SIBM?
Me: Team management skills and Business expansion skills

5) Being a graduate from Somaiya college of engineering , why don't you apply to their management programme.
Me: I had applied via CAT but did not get a call, i have taken CET last Sunday but not expecting the score required for Somaiya.

6) How was your CET?
Me: answered.

Few other basic questions and done!

Overall the process is very short and sweet.The seniors of SIBM were helpful and were willing to discuss about the current conditions in their b-school.

Please let me know if more information is required.

Are we supposed to show original certis of X, XII , degree as this was not mentioned in call letter? Also should we bring certificates supporting extra currics/achievements - Or is it that they r just looking for the checklist mentioned in call letter and nothing else

Thanks,
Maverick:detective:

Hello friends,
Would like to share my experience at SIBM Bangalore GD/PI.

My reporting time was 4:00 p.m. on the 21st February.
Reached the venue at 3:00 p.m and was directly led to a waiting room where the Deputy Director of SIBM Bang Mr.Dilipraj Dongre was sitting along with other members across a table verifying documents.
I registered and got my documents verified.
Then followed a patient wait for an hour.
At 4, one of the student co-ordinators started with the presentation on SIBM Bangalore followed by a Q and A session.
At around 4:20 p.m., I was informed that i was a part of a 16 member team who would have their GDs first up.
So, I along with 11 others(3 were absent) were led to another room at around 4:30 p.m.We did not have a normal GD.We were given a situation wherein a plane is about to crash and there are 8-9 passengers of different professions(doctor,scientist,soldier,actress...etc.etc.) on board and we had only 3 parachutes.Whom would you save???(guess most of us have already gone through such a discussion in mock GDs)
The discussion time was only 10 mins.We managed somehow and got the conclusion to 4 people of different profession and we were left with only one to eliminate out of the four when the panelists said that the time was over.
Then we came out of the room and had to wait in the lobby for the interviews.
The PI was conducted by the same panelists who were there for the GDs.
I went for my PI at around 5:15 p.m.The first question which was asked was regarding what I said in the GD(Be careful what you say in the GDs as the panelists will quiz you on that).Then followed the standard questions like why an MBA?, describe yourself, strengths and weaknesses,something on work-ex and thats all(no technical questions asked).My interview lasted around 10 mins and that was it.
Post the PI I was given a feedback form to fill and then that was the end of the entire process.For me, the entire process got over by 5:50 p.m.(the fastest of all the Symbiosis process I have been through).
Overall it was a pleasant experience.However,I don't know what they were trying to gauge out in such a short GD and PI.Guess I will have to wait and watch now.

All the best to all call getters.

Mukul Mehra
SNAP Score : 81.5(post revision)
Work-Ex : 14 months
B.E. : 70%
12th : 89%
10th : 83%

hey

i dnt remember u

can u pls tell me ur grp no

i was M-12
i was in the same group as urs ??

i thnk we had a kick ass gd !
Are we supposed to show original certis of X, XII , degree as this was not mentioned in call letter? Also should we bring certificates supporting extra currics/achievements - Or is it that they r just looking for the checklist mentioned in call letter and nothing else

Thanks,
Maverick:detective:

No they are not checking anything other than the mentioned documents. But it would be good if you carry all your documents.

fresher.....snap(82.5) ......22/02/09(7:30)slot
reached there at 7:20 but the process started at 8 when they gave a presentation on sibm-b . the presentation was given by seniors and then they answered all our queries. call ratio is 15:1 ,we were divided in 4 grps each of 15 students. but in my grp there were only 8 students.
gd started at 9
gd topic::satyam is a classic example of greed winning over ethics.was a general topic so everyone chipped in.while the gd was on one of the panelist stopped and questioned a candidate whether the gd was going on smoothly???at the end of 12 minutes each candidate was given 40 secs to summarize...
pi was as usual questions:
why mba?
which field?
hw was ur gd?
why marks dec? no technical ques....
but i did some blunders in my pi.....the process was smooth
was a gud experience

SNAP Score - 73.75
ACADS - Bcom 60.85; X-75.06, XII-78.00
Workex - 18 months at Citi, 9 months at CAPITA (till Dec'0
Extracurrics - NIL
Slot: 21st February, 10AM caterin college Dadar.
The process was quite smooth considering that only 3 students were responsible for the logistics of the entire process. Hats off.

We were 15 people in a group, I was in group G with nikhilkulk Only 10 were present though. Our GD topic was "A POLITICIAN'S WILL CAN BREAK MEGA OR NANO DREAMS"
GD was a bit of a fish market but not much. Everyone was repeating the same points though. I entered wth 2-3 points. After the discussion everyone was asked to summarize and suggest what could have been discussed apart from the points the group discussed. After the summary we were asked to introduce ourselves briefly with name, education and work ex.

PI was conducted by the same panel as the GD.
A middle aged guy in blazer (BG), a stern looking guy in specs (SG), a lady with big eyes (LE) and another person who was yawning most of the time(YG).

I went in and wished everyone good afternoon.
LE: Goodafternoon (smiles).
SG: I thought you were too critical in your summary of the GD. Are you a critical person by nature?
Me: : no sir not really. I explained why i had mentioned particular points in my summary.
YG:
LE: So Ganesh, tell me, what motivates you to do everything you do. What is the one thing you want which keeps you going.
Me: Explained SG interupted now and again and asked for clarifications
BG: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Me: :2gunfire:
LE: Do you have any specialisation in mind?
Me: Yes madam, HR
LE: HR? Thats an unusual field. Why HR?
Me: Unusual :sneaky: Explained, never did the 'Why HR' thread come more handy. Thanks a lot Sumit :biggrin:
YG:
LE: So you work in BPOs, is your shift 24/7?
Me: :
SG: I would stick to the GD, was there anyone in the group who stood out in your opinion?
Me: Answered....

The three of the them exchanged looks and said thanks a lot. LE smiled and wished me luck.

Don't know if my experience was good or bad and what to make of it. Just hoping for the best. No questions on Acads.
People just a word of advice, be yourself and don't clutter your head with useless thoughts and speculations. The process is smooth and the entire process got over in 5 hours.
All the best!

Had my gd/pi session at 7.30am on 22nd feb. had to show admit card and work ex letter.
after that a presentation by sibm guys was shown. after a long wait, at 9 am we were guided to conference halls for gd.

gd topic: BJP or Congress?(new govt) panel told us beforehand "no fish mkt" hence the gd was nice and every1 got to speak.

pi: no ques related to acads, work ex, technical etc.
jus why mba, where do you c urself 3 yrs down the line?, recession, hobbies etc. etc.
overall gd/pi was a cool process. and the panel was courteous and polite. didn scare us off. by 10 i was outside.

hey

i dnt remember u

can u pls tell me ur grp no

i was M-12
i was in the same group as urs ??

i thnk we had a kick ass gd !

Hi Buddy....
I was in group M number 04.
Yes, we did have a good GD.

Mukul Mehra