shout-out to all the wannabe MC's out there...

I found this posted in another forum. These questions were unanswered there. I thought it will be very relevant to ask this on this forum as not every Indian interested in MC ends up going to a top school. Any takers for these questions? "Hi…

I found this posted in another forum. These questions were unanswered there. I thought it will be very relevant to ask this on this forum as not every Indian interested in MC ends up going to a top school. Any takers for these questions?

"Hi this is my first post (yay!), feels good to get it out of the way.

I've got a couple questions about MC careers. I apologize in advance if I ask a question that has already been addressed in a sticky... I've done my best to use the search function as much as possible before writing this.

1) MC Recruiting outside top 10 schools.

How about schools outside of the Elite such as Boston U, Boston C, Babson, Indiana (Kelley), Notre Dame, Michigan State, Emory, Ohio State, Iowa (Tippie), Wake Forest?

Yes, I know I can find out which firms recruit by checking out each university's placements stats... But my question has more to do with the mentality of the recruiters. How do they approach recruiting at these schools? Do they concentrate their efforts on the H/S/W-type gradutes and then send some 3rd string recruiting teams to schools outside the top 10 to try to unearth some "hidden gems"? Or do they try to give each school on their list equal consideration?

Also, could anyone recommend some schools outside the Elite (for all of us non 700 club GMAtters....) where MC firms have a track record of recruiting from?

2) Consulting Track for MBA Concentration

How do consulting firms feel about recruiting from schools with "consulting track" type programs, e.g. Darden, Indiana. Do they prefer it? Is there evidence to suggest that students who come from a case-based general management programs fair better in MC careers than those who've come from more of a theory/straight finance/quant-intensive program?

3) Choice of Location After Getting Hired.

From what I understand, generally speaking, if you work for one of the major MC firms, you can choose where you want to live. When staffing has an assignment for you, you fly out to meet the rest of the team. When an engagement is over, you're free to live where you want to. Is this correct? Or do you have to at least live near a regional office?

The reason why I ask is because I'm currently working in Banking/Finance. The bulk of activity for this industry takes place on the East Coast, and it would make sense for someone wanting to pursue a Wall Street career to....well....move to or near Wall Street. Does this principle of location apply to those wanting to get into MC?

4) Staying Power

It seems to me that most MCs leave the industry because they either (1) can't move up...therefore out, (2) burn out...personal reasons, (3) find an industry they are passionate about / boutique firm that specializes in a particular area of consulting that they enjoy.

Has anyone here decided that they'd like to make a career out of consulting? Seems like most people here see MC as 2-3 years to "get a broad exposure and decide what industry I want to get into". Does anyone feel otherwise, and what would it take to have that kind of staying power at a top firm, to eventually progress past the associate level on to VP, Partner, etc...

Ok that's not a few questions, that's a lot."

:eyepop::robot: ?? No responses?? :robot::eyepop:

Maybe no response because this forum is frequented mostly by applicants. And frankly, as an applicant-cum-admit, as of today I don't have answers to these very relevant questions. But then whats the harm in discussing !!

My opinion to your questions:

1) As recruiters go down the ladder as far as ranking is concerned, they begin putting more emphasis on data points.
So, may be at H/S/W, they won't get put off by your less GMAT/GPA, at lower ranked schools, these data points will become more important in getting you in the "closed list".

2) Among peer schools, let say there is a school which has a strong Consulting program, then surely I'd feel more comfortable recruiting from there.
With regards the second part, I have no idea, maybe because neither I have worked in a MC company, nor I know anbody who has worked for at least 5-6 years post MBA.

3) As far as I have heard, you may live anywhere as long as the place has a decent sized airport. But then this holds true for Sales people as well.

4) Whatever you say here is nothing but truth. Post MBA, I intend to joing one of the big MC firms, get a broad idea and exposure, and 3-4 years later, move to a GM role, mainly because GM is much less demanding than MC/IB.