Should we allow B-School Comparisions on the forum ?

Right! Its results time yet again. And as always we’ll be seeing lots of threads about B-School comparisions. “B vs C”, “L vs XL”, “IITD vs IITKgp” … We generally dont encourage such threads becaue, things generally dont remain healthy and…

Right! Its results time yet again. And as always we'll be seeing lots of threads about B-School comparisions. "B vs C", "L vs XL", "IITD vs IITKgp" ....

We generally dont encourage such threads becaue, things generally dont remain healthy and constructive. Mudslinging and BSchool bashing take over and in the end turns out to be a "My daddy strongest" kinda thread.

Lets discuss if we should or not encourage such threads.

Bskool comparisons as such should not be allowed 'cause of the fact that they do tend to degenerate into I-am-much-better-than-u kinda fights. What we can have instead is a thread where one PGite from each Bskool is asked to write one post on why people should join his Bskool (pros & cons) and wat makes XYZ Bskool unique frm others. There should be only one post per Bskool allowed on this thread. All aspirants can then go thru this thread and make their own decisions. Any queries can be PMed to the respective Bskool Juntha or posted on that particular Bskool's query thread.

Cheers

Puneet

Why can't we do a decent SWOT analysis or something similar for major schools and leave the judgement to the aspirant? Rankings exist and they are a necessary evil. Most of the major firms in the world operate on league tables. Maybe we could introduce leagues and mark out tiers. I did try at one point to discuss this but there was an overwhelming sense of negativity in the approach. I think PG as a forum has the potential to be objective and provide enough facts to back any perceptions given the wide student base. This will be a one time effort but could well be a great crowd puller.
Also given that the very USP of PG is its membership base it makes perfect sense to leverage that base. To sum it up we need to stop shying away from rankings and come up with our own methodologies to identify the good and the not-so-good schools. Multiple threads with A vs B do not make sense. Instead a consolidated list of all the information an aspirant will ever need would work well for both PGites and PG.com.

Saffola or No Saffola its always healthy for a Candidate's heart to know the place's(BSchool)Ratings in Various functions or Categories where he's spending a good Part(don't how much) of 2 years and lots of Dough...
So it might just be helpful for the forum in all.
Especially since now threads are moderated and this kind of Mudslinging does happen anyways.....But there should be a cap as to the Details..should be given by Club/group Members of the School mentioned only.

I agree with Puneet here, that a "B School Comparison Thread (NOT threadS) should exist where each B School can post once and only once. They can edit the post as and when required.

Just thinking out loud, as Convoluted mentioned, we can probably divide the school into tiers...but then again there is a certain degree of subjectivity involved in that. Say a school like IMI, which is fast coming up, where do you put it??

What say we come up with PG Rankings???

And another thing...is there a way of verifying the info that the members post about their B Schools? Because after the Munira Lokhandwala incident, I'm a bit cynical about the whole "community feeling" concept....

Puneet,
Thats a very good idea. And then I stumbled upon this point by Vineet! And dont ya think the pros : cons ratio, if asked to post, will be something like 5:1 ? :D

is there a way of verifying the info that the members post about their B Schools? Because after the Munira Lokhandwala incident, I'm a bit cynical about the whole "community feeling" concept....

I kinda liked the SWOT analysis thingy. Perhaps we could quantify everything and then have the B-School students post their replies to the questions. That way, we wont have a 5:1 ratio and there is a uniform ground for comparison for all

Questionnaire must and should include Boy:Girl Ratio , Number of Parties, Number of Sleeping hours, Number of Restaurants nearby and travelling time, Percentage of attendance Required,Overall Probability of proffs screwing your grades

More when I think of them!

the idea of having a PG rankin is also good as it gives the prospective candidates a general idea of things. we cud have a poll whr all pgs can rank the b-schools as per their preference. again the ranking can be divided into tiers whr lets say iim a,b,c, xl fall in the same category..

apart from that we can let the "multiple call which to choose" thread running whr the puys can help ppl with multiple calls decide which is the best for them. ofcourse the mods will keep a close look on the thread t make sure no this_is_better fights happen..
it will be jus the puys own opinion. no fighting or contesting that..

uh huh?

once you become a part of a bschool , you have to defend it to death coz even your fortunes are somehow linked to how well your school is perceived. nobodys going to say that his bschool sucks! call it denial , call it law of land call it anything you can .

so the pros would be exaggerted and the cons would be ignored or underplayed. even in the case of eeyee eeyee ppee mmm , students ex-students jumped to the rescue of the institute coz duh! they are/were a part of it!

i believe in the laissez-faire (minimal control
)way of things here. let ppl post whatever they want! ppl can decide for themselves how important that it!

the idea is to make an informed choice , and let ppl do all the mud-slinging they can . its better to know that side as well before getting into a bschool!!!

Bskool comparisons as such should not be allowed 'cause of the fact that they do tend to degenerate into I-am-much-better-than-u kinda fights. What we can have instead is a thread where one PGite from each Bskool is asked to write one post on why people should join his Bskool (pros & cons) and wat makes XYZ Bskool unique frm others. There should be only one post per Bskool allowed on this thread. All aspirants can then go thru this thread and make their own decisions. Any queries can be PMed to the respective Bskool Juntha or posted on that particular Bskool's query thread.

Cheers

Puneet
I agree with Puneet here, that a "B School Comparison Thread (NOT threadS) should exist where each B School can post once and only once. They can edit the post as and when required.

in such a scenario, the B School concerned need not post any thing new, their admission brochure would have done all the talking and that can neatly be scanned and posted on their behalf.

the moot point in such discussions is the student/recruiter perception.

Also, for many mba aspirants, pg forum has been guiding them right from the stage of preparation for written exam. So now why deny such guidance? the mods can always edit the posts when such posts start mud slinging or going out of hand.

For some people deciding which school to go for can be a real pain.
For those ppl who do not have a choice are perhaps are the real lucky ones.
For those who are already on the other side of the fence its simply a propaganda issue.

But sometimes people do really need help and not propaganda.

Sometimes people need help to identify what is it they are looking for.

We could have a thread which focusses more on counselling such people rather than unleashing B-school bashing war.
And maybe those people who are out of b-schools can help these people out because they have been there and done that.

B-School comparisons....Naah, it won't work...not in this format. I have a completely different view on this, why do we want to stick to the "forum and thread" kind of format.

We need the portal home page to provide info about all the B-Schools in the country, each B-School should have one page dedicated to it. To get the content, we can have a standard template/form and the B-Schoolers (PG rank holders/nominated by their School) can provide all the info in a structured format....Say Description of the Infrastructure, Computer Lab, Classrooms, Faculty, Placements, Cutoffs, Admission Process etc. The advantage of this is that the Database will be searchable so if I want to know what all are the colleges in Delhi, who take ppl through CAT, cutoff > 90 and/OR avg. salary>5lpa. Once the Database is done, automated comparisons can take place, without human intervention...just like u can compare Car models in racing games 😃 This way, there won't be any mud slinging and the purpose will be solved :)

My two cents

Whatsay PG?

Cheers!

I kinda liked the SWOT analysis thingy. Perhaps we could quantify everything and then have the B-School students post their replies to the questions. That way, we wont have a 5:1 ratio and there is a uniform ground for comparison for all

Questionnaire must and should include Boy:Girl Ratio , Number of Parties, Number of Sleeping hours, Number of Restaurants nearby and travelling time, Percentage of attendance Required,Overall Probability of proffs screwing your grades

More when I think of them!

AWSOME sense of humour man. the pg forum wishes that you carry on this traite.

all aspiring candidates / current b school students are legally allowed to marry and decide the country's future by voting in elections...and we cannot conduct a civilised and informative discussion on which b school to chose based on comparisons etc???

a blanket ban on such discussions might be one way of preventing mud-slinging etc...but not sure if its the way forward....c'mon folks....please post responsibly and am sure it will be fine...this forum is one of the few ways of actually getting to know about a B school's strengths/ weaknesses ; to see whether we fit into their culture....never mind all the magazines rankings....we need individual feedback from current students....

so mods instead of banning such threads do ban people who just seem to be on a one-track path of defending/ promoting their B school...as for current B-school students do justify our faith and confidence in you when you give your opinions and bear in mind how an honest opinion would have really helped you out when you had to make that choice a year or 2 ago...looking forward to a informative and non-biased posts from seniors....

cheers & regards

The views of the members of PG do affect to a large extent the choice of Bschool which a student is about to join. Comparing will not work as mentioned but facts being presented about B schools with minimal bias can help. SWOT is a good idea but one has to be a part of the B school to do a proper SWOT and that again depends on the student....it's a cycle!

Defending a coll to death is very immature and silly..ask me somthng bout my enng coll and ill tell the plain facts,somehow students jus go out of their way to defend their post graduate colleges!!!and we all are not fools to believe all the goodie stuff they say ..the mud-slinging should definitely be allowed,coz as per my observations some students are using PG.com as a platform to promote their college!!!
should dis be allowed??they keep praising their alma maters and hide plain and most imp facts from us....and in case we do not agree in toto with their views and point out the facts, its termed as plain college bashing!!!

This whole discussion about comparison between BSchools I think is irrelevant cos the industry perspective is based on the quality of students and very little to do with the school itself.

The other day I was speaking to one of my uncles who heads a recruitment firm and he was of the opinion that the percentage weightage of an institute in shaping a person's career or getting him a placement is limited. It is only upto the extent of getting a company on campus. He said if you think you cant qualify for the interviews of high profile companies it really doesnt matter if you study in IIMA or XYZ.... because the average and median salaries of all the institutes are the same.....so essentially it is more to do with the individual than the institute...

So rather than discussing should we allow B school comparison on the forum...we rather discuss how useful are these comparison to decision makers..... MY HONEST OPINION: Not much to choose between B and C, L and XL...and all these discussions shouldnt be allowed to get to an emotive level.....

I think it is a grand idea to involve PG in B-school rankings, imagine people talking about business world, outlook, india today and Pagal Guy rankings . It would do enormous benefit to PG and its branding. There are three types of PGites, prospective (yet to take admission), current B-school students and alumni. The prospective could talk about on perception basis whereas the real inputs can from the later ones.

Pagalguy can lay down certain strict guidelines (SOPs) for postings, while students can write bout their Bschools but cannot write against other schools let the prospective PGites decide and form the perception.

But you got to compare apple Vs Apples and not apple Vs oranges, that means IIMA Vs IIMB or SPJ Vs MDI Vs NITIE; IITD Vs IITKgp but definitely not IIMA Vs NITIE:) . There can be two types of comparisons, one comparison of programmes like PGP, FPM, part-time PGP, I year PGP etc, second would be comparison of B-school as an entity. This will help in identifying who is piggy riding whom, as we all know there are some below average programmes in some good schools (Bschools will become conscious of this fact and would do everything not to neglect it, lest it affects thier rankings). Let PG also identify which are the fastest expanding & growing Bschools in terms of international linkages, overseas campuses, innovative programmes and seeking international accreditations etc. The sectoral schools can be compared separately.

Though this topic is highly controversial, but onus lies on PG to make a new beginning, let PG take this bold initiative and become more popular, wish the pg registrations would touch 1 lac mark in next 2-3 months. Is PG ready to traverse this path and willing to manage the mess its going to create?

These are my personal feelings:satisfie: .

Gary

This is no propaganda, but I am widely known to be ahead of my times
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/pagalguy-ranking-system-25010151