Should one visit a school before deciding on applying for it?

Hi, I was reading a blog of some X who decided to blog his entire journey to a b-school after writing his GMAT. His strategy was to visit a list of schools and then shortlist the schools which he wants to apply and he has dedicated about 12-1…

Hi,

I was reading a blog of some X who decided to blog his entire journey to a b-school after writing his GMAT. His strategy was to visit a list of schools and then shortlist the schools which he wants to apply and he has dedicated about 12-18 months for this.

Honestly, I was shocked, surprised, taken aback and was left wondering "Do ppl really spend 12-18 months just visiting schools???"

Infact I asked him this question and his answer was "Why would you apply to a school if you haven't visited it?
How do you know that you fit in well with the community, the students, the social life. I can go on, but in my opinion it is important to visit schools so know where you want to apply."

I am sorry, but I still do not understand.
Why woudl u want to do an mba, if YOU cannot fit in any community,cannot get along with any set of students...and cannot fit into any social life...???
Isnt being a good manager all about making every zone your comfort zone???

So, my question is, Do you think one should to visit a school before applying for it????

Mods - I am new to PagalGuy, and I do not know if such a thread / discussion already exists.

Thanks

Hi dessy116,

I think the concept of visiting is linked to knowing about the school. As you know it is recommended that you know the style of teaching, size of batch, rents in area etc etc of the school before applying for it. You may want to read chapter 3 of "How to get into Top MBA" by Richard Montauk.

"I was reading a blog of some X who decided to blog his entire journey to a b-school after writing his GMAT. His strategy was to visit a list of schools and then shortlist the schools which he wants to apply and he has dedicated about 12-18 months for this."

I dont know if people spend 12-18 months, but if possible you should always go to the school and verify if the style of teaching , community(get detailed list from Richard's book) etc etc matches your expectation. Of course for International students it is not possible, so we make same queries online.

"Why woudl u want to do an mba, if YOU cannot fit in any community,cannot get along with any set of students...and cannot fit into any social life...???
Isnt being a good manager all about making every zone your comfort zone???"

I think what he means is "How would you know if that school is the best for you". Say for example you may be more comfortable in a school that has always had large percentage of international students. Or you may not be comfortable in a College set in a metro city like New york..Those kind of things are best known if you visit the place.

Hope that helps

Cheers !