Should I consider a second MBA?

Hi I am an engineer from IIT and MBA from MDI,Gurgaon. I have close to 6 years of FMCGs sales and mktg experience. I am confused on the careeroptions post a second MBA from a top rung B-Scool in US. Pls suggest.

Hi

I am an engineer from IIT and MBA from MDI,Gurgaon. I have close to 6 years of FMCGs sales and mktg experience.

I am confused on the careeroptions post a second MBA from a top rung B-Scool in US.
Pls suggest.

Hey Nikhil,
Probably had the same predicament a year and half back.. I too wanted to do my second MBA - quick look at previous background was BA (Eco) & MBA from IMT, Ghaziabad and had been in Retail Banking in India & SE Asia for the last 5 odd years..
Used to wonder whether it makes sense with a family, I am doing well at my present company and am based abroad.. Should I upset the applecart? And the big question what are the job opportunities after all this??
The answer is very simple - u need to be sure of yourself regarding the job, if you feel you have the skill set - you will always get a job whether the markets are up or down.. Regarding opportunities for FMCG Guys - opportunities are there for everybody - you need to go out and grab them. After so many years you need to know what exactly do you want to do?? Which industry vertical would you want to make a career in..it can't be like when I was at IMT.. jo aata hai lelo..we are no more waiting for a placement week as starry eyed 23 year olds..
Some bit of definiteness of what you intend doing will answer you question of whether you should attend school now or not. I knew I waned to get back into Commercial Banking but needed an MBA to broaden my horizon gather a more international flavor and specifically learn about how world politics and economics impact business.
Don't know whether I could answer your question or clear or your mind but if you feel you need it and have a goal which you feel you will reach faster by doing a second MBA.. Please go ahead and take the plunge.. Jobs are always aplenty for the best J
I had an admit to LondonBusinessSchool, but will be starting my second MBA in Jan 08 from IMD, Lausanne
Rgds,
OK

wrftqegttrgtrghtrghtrg

Most top schools are very open to second MBAs barring a few.. so don't worry on this count.

regarding inv banking / fin consulting - u would first up need to understand both these professions entail a lifestyle change and whether you are open to that at 31.. (u ill pass out at 33)..I ain't - thus I didn't choose to go to school that catered to placements in these domains and choose to go to a school which has slightly senior management placements.. because post handling large teams it would be very difficult for me t sart at the bottom as an associate working 18-20 hrs.. I am not 25 anymore.

also please understand US schools are becoming younger by the day.. they are preffering younger candidaes with higher scores.. just a quick insight into the world of admissions..

Regarding the preperation.. First up get a great score in the GMAT..it just opens more doors of opportunities for you.. its about the complete package some would say.. but u need an opportunity to showcase your package - to do so you need a big score.. (I did not have one - so I cn tell you how it feels to have a low score and be rejected just because of that). so get a great score.. and then package yourself well - great essays / recos & CV..

Also if you are just starting with this process you probably will in best case be able to meet the Second round deadlines of some schools - which also is unlikely.. so this year is probably out.. your focus should be Jan 09 (INSEAD / IMD) and Aug 09 (US Schools & LBS)..

All the luck and bon voyage..

Hey Guys,

First of all, heartiest congrats to oriental khichdi and all the best to nikhil.

Good to find people sailing in the same boat. My profile, I am a 2001 batch MBA from Bharathidasan Trichy and since then have had 4 years of Coporate Banking /Credit Experience in Indian Private Sctor banks and about 2.5 years of Credit Risk Modelling and Basel II Risk Consulting experience in International and Indian consulting companies.

To be honest I am happy in the domain I am currently working (I always wanted to do something similar) but the problem is that the exposure I am getting is less. To put it differently, I would like to broaden my horizon in this area, learn what is new and hot, get more groove in some of the subject technicalities, get more international exposure and if possible work with the best in this business eg: say an Oliver Wymann

Oriental Khichdi and Nikhil, please suggest if this is a convincing logic to get into a global B school and given my objective, should I target some select few schools only

Thanks and Regards,
Shravan

Hi! OK

I guess what you mention is on my mind.....It shal be coming back to the bottom of the ladder of sorts...only that the ladder would reach a different place

I am in the middle of my prep and intend to take GMAT mid-Nov and apply in R2 .With a corporate life and a family....its a bit much to handle though.
Appreciate the GMAT score point but am targetting something like 720-730 types to give myself a fair chance than miss the year.I know age is not on my side !!! lemme see how that gets handled.
I shall seek your help in writing my essays so that i can manage in the limited time thati have. Trust you areOK with the same.
Do send me your mail ID, mine is [email protected]

Its been nice reading your mails.

Nikhil

Hey Nikhil,

Great to hear you in the middle of your prep for your GMAT.. all the best and do veryvery well...why 720-730 - u shuld go out there and get 750+ score..

Also I hope u can make the second round dealines this year itself.. regarding - helping on the essays I sure would love too.. its my strength I think...:-)

Pertaining to age - don't worry its your single biggest asset.. if you know how to sell it..

Also though I would like to believe you on the bottom of the new ladder part will take you to a different place.. but somehow I am still to come to terms of starting at the bottom of the ladder... but will take it as it comes..because the eventual last ladder is always the CEO..:-)

Have sent you a PM with my details.. would love to help in anyway..all the luck

Cheers,
OK

Dear Shravan,

Thanks for the wishes..

Great to see another one of the second MBA types on the forum.. Yes, see the reason to do an MBA whether its first or second.. needs to be compelling enough for you to apply..its your reasoning to yourself.. if you sure of that.. U can always sell it to any School Ad Com..

Regarding schools u shuld apply to..the Usual suspects will be perfect..

Cheers,
OK

Well my 2 cents wrth opinion on this is .........

If its a break which u want to take on the behest of exploring the latest management practices then dont expect a lot out of it . Apart from new case studies and couple of new management practices nthng wld be path breaking there (thts my opinion!)

However if its the lure of having more oppertunities, lateral placement and probably the choice of being part of new prospering indstry then u shld go fr it!!!

Rest obviously is on your own descreation........

All the Best!

Hey All,

Need some advice on 2nd MBA and realistic options that could be open for me. As far as my profile goes ...I did my engg from a pvt institute and then worked for a cpl of years in the Technology/Consulting side of a consulting firm of repute. Did my MBA from IIT Delhi and since then have been working as a senior business analyst in a top pharma analytics firm for the past 2 years. So all in all over 3 years experience for me at the moment.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks much !

Hello everyone,

Just completed my GMAT and got a 670 (Q49/V34). Have an MBA from IIFT (GPA 3.4/4 and also an international exchange student) and a B-Tech from NIT-K (Merit Scholar, !st div with honors). Have 3 years of experience in IT Consulting for process manufacturing companies. Please let me know if you think it makes sense for me to apply to INSEAD? Will my candidature be competitive?

Hello everyone,

Just completed my GMAT and got a 670 (Q49/V34). Have an MBA from IIFT (GPA 3.4/4 and also an international exchange student) and a B-Tech from NIT-K (Merit Scholar, !st div with honors). Have 3 years of experience in IT Consulting for process manufacturing companies. Please let me know if you think it makes sense for me to apply to INSEAD? Will my candidature be competitive?

Dude I think your profile looks impressive................
But INSEAD looks for a very competitive score.....So you might be at a loss...............However your GMAT score can be compensated by other traits that INSEAD looks for like strong interpersonal skills,leadership qualities and a quality work experience etc.............
All the Best...............

Hi Shankarjyoti,

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I also read somewhere that a good score on the AWA section could sometimes compensate for a low score on the verbal section? Is that true?

But I completely understand, that I would need to put together something extraordinary to compensate for the low score.

Thanks again

Please learn more business languages ad get international exposure if possible.
Insead wants international leaders.

Very good thread. This thread will only become more important as time goes on. 2nd mba is an increasingly true reality.

Hi Shankarjyoti,

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I also read somewhere that a good score on the AWA section could sometimes compensate for a low score on the verbal section? Is that true?

But I completely understand, that I would need to put together something extraordinary to compensate for the low score.

Thanks again

Hey I am pasting this information regarding your low GMAT score.............

INSEAD does not have a minimum required GMAT score. Rather than focusing on your overall score, we assess your individual results in the quantitative and verbal sections of the exam, and we look for you to demonstrate your strengths in both. In order to be competitive, you should aim to achieve a score at or above the 70 - 75 percentiles in both. Please keep in mind, however, that the GMAT is just one of several admission criteria. A high score does not guarantee admission, and a below average score does not eliminate a candidate.(Source ISEAD website)

So dude you have a chance but have to perform well in the subsequent rounds..........
Hi

I am an engineer from IIT and MBA from MDI,Gurgaon. I have close to 6 years of FMCGs sales and mktg experience.

I am confused on the careeroptions post a second MBA from a top rung B-Scool in US.
Pls suggest.

@ Nikhil , getting into 2nd MBA would require some bit of working from your side , not to mention that you will have to be spot on in convincing the adcoms about the essentials that you would require from your 2nd MBA. In other words what is that your 1st MBA could not give you?? Job, growth , roles etc. I would suggest you to look into the Executive MBA programs in the US and Europe. You might be a good candidate at IMD , INSEAD and other programs in the US which are heavily tilted towards Workex(read as upwards of 5 years).

Hello,

Accidentally started another thread, cause I couldn't find this one previously. I would appreciate some advice from anyone who is aware of candidates who have pursued a second MBA at a top 5 US B school, after completing a top MBA in India. I know such there are few such candidates out there, which is why I'm not sure how much information is out there. Anyhow, I am looking to learn about what profiles are required and how the Bschool looks upon such candidates, what sort of work ex helps the best, and any gyaan that can help me understand the process better.

A little bit about me -

I have an MBA from one of the top IIMs, and have cumulative work experience of about 2 and a half years prior to and following my MBA, including internships (across US, Europe, India) in consulting and marketing. I am seeking to apply either end of this year or the next, so I'll have at least about 3.5 years of total work ex by the time of joining the program. Also I have a 760 on my GMAT.

The most obvious question is why I'm seeking a second MBA, and while I can list the usual reasons of wanting to relocate to the US or looking at breaking into PE/VC or management consulting...I guess its mostly a personal decision, and since I'm 25 at present and single, I think I'm young enough to consider it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I am a final yea B.Tech student of DCE, aiming for CAT '11.
My question to the revered seniors is : How exactly does one explain (in our essays) , the reason for a second MBA? I am sure this question will be asked to us again and again. Potential employers will also ask this question (employers after the 2nd MBA). Doesn't this question become more difficult if the first MBA was from colleges like IIM, MDI etc.? Can one be honest up-front and say "immigration was my motive"?

I know I sound like a big mouth, asking this when I'm not yet a graduate :), but was too curious to wait for 4 years more....

Similar dilemma. Have an MBA from FMS Delhi. Corporate banking work ex in an MNC bank for 3 years. 720 GMAT. CFA L3 candidate and contemplating a second MBA. Any advice ?