Should foreign students join IIMB?

Hey! Currently studying at the Solvay Business School (Belgium), I took part in an exchange program at IIMB… In love with India and thinking of doing a full-time MBA at IIMB. No CAT for me but the GMAT to crack… My question is: Shou…

No please dont come to IIMB indian campus.
It is all set to go global you can study there.
Its a tough fight for Indian student over here and you people take short cuts like GMAt to get through which is unfair.
I say unfair bcoz the competition is much less that way.
anyway if you want to come to IIMB through CAT you are always welcome.

elise

I dont think its a prolem career wise... Also you could easily get better schools worldwide if you got IIMB.... Though it would be very odd to be the only white there for two years... But then you will get some special treatment:wink:

Also I am not sure if people of foreign origin can do that program... Though i think it might be ok...

Also consider trying for the double degree MBAs with 1 year in Essec Business School France and one year in IIMA...

though i think you might be more interested in being in Bangalore than in IIMB :wink:

K

@elise

I was talking about special treatment from your fellow students
Infact the top IIMs are trying more and more for foreign students. IIM A has
this as a goal since it dreams of being a world top 20 Bschool within 2011...

There is a one year MBA at IIMA which accepts people over 27 and is open to foreign students. The PGP is a subsidised program and hence currently not that accesible for foreign students... Also there is not much economic rationale for studying here since you will find it very difficult to work in an indian environment though its happening more and more now:)

What will work is a double degree like IIM A has in mind. As i said you can take admission in Essec Business School in Paris and get a double degree spening one year there and one year at IIM A...That way you would be assured of jobs back in Europe and can work here if you desire:)

Personally I think the situation is not ripe yet for europeans to study in indian business schools unless you are marrying an indian or something and want to settle down here as a citizen...

Good Luck:)

K

Hey!

Currently studying at the Solvay Business School (Belgium), I took part in an exchange program at IIMB... In love with India and thinking of doing a full-time MBA at IIMB. No CAT for me but the GMAT to crack...

My question is: Should I try to join IIMB? Is there any real value addition? Or the institute lacks foreign recognition?

Plz answer this question on
http://pub46.bravenet.com/vote/vote....49586947&cpv;=2

And feel free to read my blog... My feelings n impressions on your amazing country...
http://erasmus-in-india.blogspot.com/

Take care n good luck for the future CAT-applicants.. We are all potential genius ;-)

Elise

Hmm...good to see international students interested in Indian MBA programmes....it is a personal decision....but i feel you should bear in mind the following

1. Your profile - are you appling straight from your undergraduate degree or do you have significant work ex....i personally feel that you would get much more out of your degree if you have had professional exposure....
2. Cost - as far as i know an MBA from the IIMs cost around 1,000,000 INR for a GMAT candidate...compare it with what is offered in Belgium...other top schools in Europe/ US
3. Diploma/ Degree - the IIMs offer you a diploma in management....not an MBA degree...while this does not matter for Indian nationals as the IIM brand is the top brand in management education, but not sure how much weight a Diploma would carry in Europe...bear this in mind not just with respect to a professional career...but if you wish to do a phd a degree in management would carry more weight than a diploma...
4. On completion of the course you might have work permit issues if you intend to work in India (not sure about this one tho...) But if you get a job in India....your compensation would be in Indian currency and according to Indian standards...might not be compareable to what you might expect in Europe....this raises the issue of where do you want to base yourself after your mba degree/ diploma
5. You mentioned that you really enjoyed your trip to India...if you are attracted to IIMB on that ground...then be warned in first year you will not have any quality free time which would allow you to tour the neighbouring states, etc....2nd year it gets a bit easier but not by much....
6. As you mentioned yourself, international diversity is not the USP for the IIMs...however, this is now changing with candidates such as yourself applying for these prgrammes...but its still a long way to go and by and large GMAT canidates imply Non-Resident Indians looking to get back to India or looking for a affordable quality Management education...

hope this helps...at the end of the day a PGP from IIM is very good value for money in terms of academic education...not so sure about the whole international experience if thats what you are looking for....

regards

@ elise

1> Quality of Education : Though i don't hav hands on experience abt European B Schools, couple of my seniors who went to ESCP-EAP, CBS , EBS on exchange etc told me that quality of education is no less here(IIMs), if not better.

2> Ranking : no IIMs consistently feature in top-100 ranking internationally, but that is mostly attributble to the disparity of parameters( e.g. Avg Sal , Avg WrkEx not comparable)

3> Branding: If u stay in Asia pacific, it's a good brand but i am a bit doubful abt Europe

But i believe IIMs will go international in future ( A & B for the time being) and you might see IIMs commanding a different brand value and recognition in 5-10 yrs...Already international placement accounts for almost 30-35% in older 3 IIMs(A/B/C) and 10% at IIM Lucknow.....There are reasons to believe that all these parameters will undergo a manyfold increase in future ......

regards
Saikat
IIM Lucknow -Class of 2007

elise,
great to meet another india fan! do apply for the IIM's, without limiting yourself to bangalore. i'm pretty sure ahmedabad and calcutta are just as good. indeed, as you have discovered, india is an amazing country and can be a great place to live in.
I'm indian and currently in the UK, but havent lived in india much, was lucky enough to be there during my formative teen years so i am well rooted.
As others have already pointed out, the academics at any of the IIM's will be fiercely competitive. The sifting mechanism is such - CAT and subsequent group discussio/interview ensure that only the creme de la creme get through. Furthermore, the workload and pressure are of a high level. Indian students are used to the rigour since school onwards and can therefore, cope well. But do give it a try and if you're prepared and enthu to take up the challenge, you will be rewarded-the job scene is excellent.
Not to discourage you in any way, but just to give you an idea of how tough it is to get in, even through the GMAT route:
I had applied for the MBA programme at IIM-A, B.
- I had a GMAT of 720, AWA 5.0.
- I'm in the top 2% of my engineering class at my uni here in UK (final year of undergraduation)
- I've grown up in 7 countries and can speak 5 languages.
-I represent my uni in 3 sports and the student council.
-summer internship at siemens corporate research, princeton, US.

and guess what....
I got instant rejections from both IIM-A and B !! 😞

Its a tough fight for Indian student over here and you people take short cuts like GMAt to get through which is unfair.

Thank you for your wonderful insight. Yeah, didn't realize that we need your permission to enter IIMs.

rahul, elsise is not competing with you.
AFAIK there is a fixed GMAT quota for for NRI n foreign students, so the 2 of u r not competing....
N frankly i think the iims have to welcome foreign students if they want to be the best in the world, n asking them to take the CAT would not be a feasible option...
Also, abt the CAT, though a great exam, it leaves a lot to luck and chance.... every1 who cracks the CAT is not a GOD.... and those who do not crack it are not necessarily unfit for an mba at iimb...

dhyanesh.

yes, exactly. The CAT and GMAT are two separate entry routes with no intra-competition. In fact, if the unoffical word is to be believed, competition through the GMAT channel is tougher in any of the IIM's. roughly 2-3 people are offered admission from a pool of 100-200 applicants ! and though there is no officially given GMAT cutoff, several ppl have been rejected with scores in the range 710-740, including me!

well, i guess one of the main logic behind having student exchange programs is to make the IIMs into a global brand. Now that we have encouraged atleast one foreign student its sad that the authorities are now replying promptly. (btw, send the same queries to IIMA. they have a very competent admissions team. i had mailed them twice and received replies in less than an hour! 😃 )

i read Prakash Aptes(IIMB director) interview a few years back in Business Today(sorry guys no link! ) and he said that IIMB does want more and more foreign students but they are not ready to scarifice on the quality of the students.

one of the main reasons i feel that the IIMs would shy away from admitting foreign students is the fierce competition in IIMs. i guess as of now most of the foreign students have been NRIs and in some way associated with India. But admitting a "foreign" student seems too risky! for starters IIMs have twice the number of subjects been taught as compared to Stanford , harvard. ppl who get through CAT become inherently competitive and hence to an extent survive the onslaught!

as others have mentioned if you are so interested in IIMs , do apply to Ahmedabad and Calcutta ( A and C as they are fondly called) as well!

besides Indians are a lil xenophobic (if you havent figured that already! ) theres enough enemity among the states themselves . if you go from one to another , then all of a sudden you would be expected to speak in their local language . too many old issues id say! add to that the disgruntled feeling that you have taken "THEIR SEAT" !!!! India would be a pretty extreme place for Europeans to study! 😃

Sorry to hear that you are running into administrative issues. Given that you did spend some time at IIMB as an exchange student, maybe you should contact your friends at IIMB and ask them if they can provide you with upto date information.
I would imagine that IIMB adcom folks are busy with the whole GD/PI process, hence they are taking their time to reply.

grt 2 c some1 in another country is actually interested in India....I think its a very good option for expansion of IIms becoz the diversity of student profiles n good peer grp is the backbone of a good MBA esp the curricullum Indian B-schools follow..
an far as elise is concerned how much of value addition depens very much on ur profile n the choices u have over there as well whta exactly r u looking 4 in ur career uc..the right b-school with the right profile n right palcements..n whatever...
there is anough info reg that stuff in teh otehr posts so I don't intend to be repitive..

cioa
prathi

the whole world is lookin up to india.. n india certainly is the place 2 be.. so IIMB wouldnt be a very bad choice at all .. and given that u like the place.. i'd say if u get an opportunity... grab it wit both hands

cheers

Hey!

Currently studying at the Solvay Business School (Belgium), I took part in an exchange program at IIMB... In love with India and thinking of doing a full-time MBA at IIMB. No CAT for me but the GMAT to crack...

My question is: Should I try to join IIMB? Is there any real value addition? Or the institute lacks foreign recognition?

Plz answer this question on
http://pub46.bravenet.com/vote/vote....49586947&cpv;=2

And feel free to read my blog... My feelings n impressions on your amazing country...
http://erasmus-in-india.blogspot.com/

Take care n good luck for the future CAT-applicants.. We are all potential genius ;-)

Elise

just saw the news on TV rite now...

Harvard Business Centre is setting up a Business Research Center in India this year... goes on to show india's importance on the world map 😃

N if Harvard is eager to come into india for research, no reason why foreign students shd not want to study in top institutes here..

dhyanesh