Shippies-is it difficult to get admission without a formal degree?

hi all pg’s- I am facing a dilemma here…hope u folks can sort this out by letting me know what u know… here goes: my backgrnd is shipping…where i joined directly after 10+2…i have abt 9 years of workX…but do not have a formal d…

hi all pg's-

I am facing a dilemma here..hope u folks can sort this out by letting me know what u know....

here goes: my backgrnd is shipping...where i joined directly after 10+2..i have abt 9 years of workX....but do not have a formal degree.. though i do have our professional quals nd grades...i am qualified to sail as a captain..work ex in shipping is internatinal frm the start . i work for british petrolum (BP) - a mammoth oil and gas company -and i now lead teams of 12-16 of mixd nationalities..people training,risk mgmt, oil and gas cargo ops,maintenance,disaster mgmt, invntry ctrl, navigation, quality mangmnt, environmntal and safety mgmnt, people mgmt are amongst the skills that i have and i am sure that i will be a valuable asset to any MBA class..

.so will B schools consider my apps? i am talking about skools in europe like LBS,cambridge, Insead,IMD, RSm, cranfield etc etc......just spoke to NTU in singapore nd they refused to take me i bcz i had no degree...really off putting... I know there are many shippies doing MBA's but all of them have degrees..many in iSB even..where i heard, shippies are hot items bcz of general mgmt and resource mgmt skills...

am very much interested in IMD, rSM and INsead..nt so much into indian or US b skools...
so wat thhinkss??? drop a line..share ur thots plzzzzzzzzzzz

cheers

hi all pg's-

I am facing a dilemma here..hope u folks can sort this out by letting me know what u know....

here goes: my backgrnd is shipping...where i joined directly after 10+2..i have abt 9 years of workX....but do not have a formal degree.. though i do have our professional quals nd grades...i am qualified to sail as a captain..work ex in shipping is internatinal frm the start . i work for british petrolum (BP) - a mammoth oil and gas company -and i now lead teams of 12-16 of mixd nationalities..people training,risk mgmt, oil and gas cargo ops,maintenance,disaster mgmt, invntry ctrl, navigation, quality mangmnt, environmntal and safety mgmnt, people mgmt are amongst the skills that i have and i am sure that i will be a valuable asset to any MBA class..

.so will B schools consider my apps? i am talking about skools in europe like LBS,cambridge, Insead,IMD, RSm, cranfield etc etc......just spoke to NTU in singapore nd they refused to take me i bcz i had no degree...really off putting... I know there are many shippies doing MBA's but all of them have degrees..many in iSB even..where i heard, shippies are hot items bcz of general mgmt and resource mgmt skills...

am very much interested in IMD, rSM and INsead..nt so much into indian or US b skools...
so wat thhinkss??? drop a line..share ur thots plzzzzzzzzzzz

cheers

Hi Kaptain!

I think it is extremely difficult to get into any college for MBA without a formal degree. If you have done you Masters from UK then maybe there is some additional coursework (HND?? am not sure) which may help you to get admitted in UK colleges. Outside UK Degree is must.

ATB

I am pretty sure that someone with the same profile ( even less ) got admitted to Stanford this year. No graduation degree, joined Merchant navy after 10+2, and was commanding his own ship within 5 years.

Also as far as i remember stanford was pretty keen on advertising this fact to the world.

Hi Kaptain!

I think it is extremely difficult to get into any college for MBA without a formal degree. If you have done you Masters from UK then maybe there is some additional coursework (HND?? am not sure) which may help you to get admitted in UK colleges. Outside UK Degree is must.

ATB

hi sailor...

yeah did my masters from UK..so have my HND..yeah it is no probs getting into UK schools..infact..a year before was considering doing a masters degree in trading and finance from Cass, london....but i feel that i am more cut out for an MBA..

so options in UK are LBS and JBS..bt both prog didnt suit my profile and outlook..hence RSm and Insead...

thank u fr the post..read in some of the threads abt ur backgrnd..wat ru upto? u frm chankaya ? if i remember it correctly?
I am pretty sure that someone with the same profile ( even less ) got admitted to Stanford this year. No graduation degree, joined Merchant navy after 10+2, and was commanding his own ship within 5 years.

Also as far as i remember stanford was pretty keen on advertising this fact to the world.

hi aroma...
ur post was a real booster...but some personal issues made me limit my horizon to Europe.....wrote to RSM..waiting fr a response from them..fingers X'd on that..

out of curiosity- do u knw where u came across the info that u quote abt stanford? if u can let me knw the website/section, I will search..cheers..

i know of a senior from school- a commercial pilot from qantas who gt into melbourne Biz skool (company sponsored)...the point is comm pilots dont have a formal degree as well...they are professionally qualified persons like shippies are..of course a few of them with time on their hands do long distance degrees......so how many skools yield to people without degrees? would be useful to know abt tht...cheers

Kaptain, sorry but just don't remember where i saw that info, i have been on thousands of forums. It could very well be this site i saw it on. But it was Stanford (or Harvard) the guy got admitted to. I remember that much cos i told that to a lot of my friends after reading.( I am from MERI/DMET)

Bottom line, it can certainly be done. And these days when all colleges seem to be running after diversity, you stand a very good chance.

Kaptain, sorry but just don't remember where i saw that info, i have been on thousands of forums. It could very well be this site i saw it on. But it was Stanford (or Harvard) the guy got admitted to. I remember that much cos i told that to a lot of my friends after reading.( I am from MERI/DMET)

Bottom line, it can certainly be done. And these days when all colleges seem to be running after diversity, you stand a very good chance.

cheers aroma!! a beacon of hope....so what r u upto? applied to any skools or in the hunt?

Harvard 😉
cryonerve Says
Harvard ;)

hi cryo..thanks for the info..is he/she one of ur batch mates? or is it u urself? curious..agree with u on achievements and vision(another thread-Harvard)..cheers
Kaptain Says
hi cryo..thanks for the info..is he/she one of ur batch mates? or is it u urself? curious..agree with u on achievements and vision(another thread-Harvard)..cheers

Thx for your wishes...

I am TS Chanakya batch of '99- currently in HBS- class of '09

"Thx for your wishes... I am TS Chanakya batch of '99- currently in HBS- class of '09" cheers mate that was great....congrats..sure u r one of the few who think abt moving out..am not cut for sea...not that i didn't enjoy it....will miss sailing if i pursue my corporate career..but it is tough to realize your true potential there.. wats ur view cryo?

NOt much chance without graduate degree my friend! Even I am a shippy but I have degree and is welcomed by all schools. So i suggest you to get a graduate degree from BITS Pilani or some other distance learning institute.