Share your experiences when you have reached out

Hi PGites, Was musing about starting this thread for some time. I know charity or good deeds should not be shouted about but in our daily lives we see so many things but ignore.I assume this thread will make us introspect beyond our worldly…

Nice thread.I would love to hear from good ppl on this thread...maybe some of the goodness rubs on me too. In the meantime , I am voting a 5 rating for this thread. Ciao.

On helping ppl out...... i once offered a woman a seat on the bus and all she did was retort back 'What is ur Problem' ... so frm that day on me have stopped offerin any more seats anywhere

on a more serious note.... i went witha coupla ppl to cry in mahalaxmi... taught the kids coupla times.......they told us to take an initiative on our own in our locality

my friend did that.... in her colony takshila in andheri - east.......to the kids of the domestic help . Not such a good response initially...... bit now she has got a batch of 15 -20 strong

she got the local takshila mag to publish an article on it and around 5 to 8 aunties turned up to teach the kids the next sunday...... what's more they were actually regular after that 😃

me hopes that a similar thing happens with pg's community service initiatives after the CNBC interview 😃

I found this in my mailbox. Seems appropriate:

Charles Schultz Philosophy
You don't actually have to take the quiz. Just read the email straight
through,
and you'll get the point. It is trying to make a nice point.
Here's the quiz:
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor/ress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.
How did you do? The facts are, none of us remember the headliners of
yesterday.
These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields.
But
the
applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and
certificates are buried with their owners.
Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers w! ho aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
6. Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you
Easier?
The lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the
ones
with
the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the
ones
that care, that love and that effect you in their own subtle way. "Don't
worry
about the world coming to an end today......It's already tomorrow
in Australia."

this thread really touched me so im posting here. nice post thr by ocean born.

i luv to reach out to people everyday, every possible moment. may be my friends, servant/maid or even a person whom i dont know. it feels so good to make everyone smile & keep them going. 😃

Rohit this is a lovely thread. There are moments when things touch us deeply. With recurring dreams on something similiar and discussions with mom which seem like eternity to me, discussing something similiar here on this forum made me believe in "the alchemist " again ...Omens 😃

Being very honest I have never been to an Orphanage. Never been to places where I could meet children or people who need our love or our attention. Perhaps because in my daily life I came across so many people who were not in any orphanage or geriatric home but still were alone, lonely.

The energy of Universal love ... this connects us to people. We all need love in our life and that is why we shouldnt hesitate in giving others our love and affection.

We used to have seminars on thursdays which used to end at around 4 : 45 in the evening and we were the last to leave the college. I was once waiting for my car when I saw a small little boy hardly 5 years old playing with his friends. I dont know why this kid actualy did hold my attention. Perhaps because he was the most innocent looking and yet the naughtiest. Torn shirt and a torn pant and a look that clearly said that he had not taken a bath for atleast 7 days now. And most probably his mother or his family wasnt even bothered where he was. This little boy would climb the highest tree around and jump from there. I was shocked. It was so dangerous. His friends also started following him. The second time he climbed the tree and was about to jump I actualy told him not to. I didnt say a word but I my face and my eyes clearly asked him not to. Then I thought why would he listen to me. And felt like laughing at myself. But he did listen to me. He didnt jump but climbed down the tree with a shy face and blazing eyes. And then he made sure none of his friends jump. He made sure they climb down the tree.

He smiled at me and I smiled back and he ran away. That saturday while coming back from practical classes he was there. He was smiling at me. And doing possibly everything to draw my attention. He wanted me to stop him from doing anything daring or risky. I offered him and his friends ice cream there. He again smiled at me and ran away. All his friends followed him. Whenever I would attend the last class in college and leave at around 4:45 he and his freinds would be there playing. And I would give them ice cream and they would leave so happily. Then when I started driving my car to college these kids would slip into the campus and almost guard my car. It was truely amazing. Then I wanted to do something for them. I talked to him and his friends and asked if they wanted to read. They wanted to. They were so excited about it. We have a Govt school nearby. The next day this kids mother was there in front of my college. I talked to her and got these kids into that school. Now they are studyng in that school. But till I passed out of my college they would be there on thursdays and saturdays when I had classes till 4:45.

I realy dont know why I did all this and when I had done it I thought it was the most natural thing to be done. My parents actualy taught an orphan and he is working now, married and happy. Maybe it was this thing that made me do what I did. Honestly speaking I have never thought much about social work consciously. But I feel happy to see that these kids are happy and getting educated 😃

Nice thread Rohit.

I just heard my sis tell me how my Dad was relating his experiences of being a Manager to her when she became a PL in TCS.
He told her that just be nice to people, they'll lay down their lives for you.
You might think this is a gross exaggeration but believe me I know this for a fact; he has that effect on people.
Well he's just too good with people and he's brought me upto be this typical open-the-door-for-the-lady specimen.

Well one time when we'd gone to Holland, I was just standing at the entrance of the hotel and this lady was in a hurry and struggling to push her trolley up the inclined pathway.
So I offered to help this old Scandinavian damsel in distress, and she summarily shooed me away.

Anyways that aside, I'm actually trying to think of something that I might have done that had a positive effect on someone else.

Well one that is still very fresh in my memory was a year or so ago at the Airport, there was this old Malayalee lady who was really struggling with a few bags she was carrying.
I saw her stumbling trying to keep it all together, as she walked down the ramp.
When I was relatively sure she wasn't with anyone who was sposed to aid her, I just went across and tapped her on the wrist and took her bags.
She hadn't a clue about what in the world had just happened, she tried to keep pace with me lest I runaway with all her life's belongings. This could've been a repeat of Amsterdam had she been quicker.
When we got to the conveyor belt inside the Airport I tried to tell her in my rusty Malayalam to hang on to the bags while I got the trolley. I doubt if anyone would've understood what I said.
When I came back I put all her stuff on the trolley, and walked her out.
She could barely speak, but you should've seen that look on her face.
She had one of those typical old lady tight closed-lip smiles; she held one of my hands and slowly reached over to touch my face but couldn't reach that far, so she placed her hand on my shoulder and patted it ever so slightly.
And you should've seen her eyes through those thick bifocals, they just swelled up with such gratitude, it was the kind of expression only your Grandmother would give you when you left her after a summer holiday.

It was quite something... it was quite amazing.

Something along similar lines more recently...

I had gained quite a reputation at a certain charity for not enjoying our lil family visits there since I was terrible with children; this was a few years ago.
There was a nun there who knew this, and though she was very nice to me...wasn't as warm as she was to the rest of my family. Well she was transferred of to another city and after a 4 year sojourn came back to Baroda recently.
She treated me the same, even though the rest of the people there had cozied upto me over the years she was absent.
So earlier this year I went over there, and gave her my number and told her that since the kid's had exams... she should call me if they ever need any help.
She was quite surprised and you could see it her eyes... she had finally started to melt.

It's really these lil things, when people see so clearly the genuineness in what you are trying to accomplish... without distrust or fear, that makes even the seemingly fruitless effort of kindness worthwhile. 😃

Pooza just saw your post.
Lil miss you sure do know how to surprise me with most things you do...sometimes totally nutty... but sometimes really wonderful to read :)

Hey all,
i guess i am very irregular here but saw something cooking on the thread so i thought i will post mine.
In baroda, i was at some eating joint.. after office, late hours. must be 00:15 or so. few hostel lukhhas were also around. one kid came and was selling some nice small umbrella kind of handworked stuff.. ppl had their fun with him and made him go.
That was not a nice sight. I don't mind seeing ppl doing nothing but to ridicule that small kid was a bit too much. i called him, bought one umbrella. offered him tea and a pao. he silently had it, dipped pao in tea and ate it. gone after that.
These short term differences don't really matter much. writing about the feeling i had, i personally have an opinion, it is just a fleeting glimpse. the moment i try capturing it, it is gone. so better be a spectator of that feeling and let it keep flowing.
My dad should be a proud person in this regard and i am truly happy and proud being a son of him. He is a civil engineer.a very middle class family of ours. being that, he has made difference to so many lives. first one is one of my closest uncle. that person was a B.Com passout in 1976 when he met dad. without job, a family of 6 bros and only a small book shop to take care of the family. he came to dad for job, my dad offered him to start with contract business coz he found him very hard working and sincere. That was the time when my dad used to lend him money to purchase material so that he can continue his work. Today, that person is a A-Grade contractor in northern india. does most of the big projects of government. property running into 7 figures. still, he is so humble. my dad is surely a proud person to meet him. till date, we are the most coveted ppl in their lives. still we get the most wonderful treatemtent in his place. Just because my dad showed the belief.
He made difference to many such people, who were below the poverty lines and are having a settled happy life now. those ppl are truly the most special ppl in our lives.

This thing is beautiful. May be because as a human being, it is very natural for ur to connect to other human being. it is just some undescribable conditioning which makes us go away from that.

i hope ppl have a lot to share.

Sids

PS: Hey Jo, was reading ur posts on "what's the matter with Moi".. truly wonderful. u keep upto ur name (and now fame too).. :!:

In this fast moving world have we killed the most basic of emotions in our hearts. Just a few days ago while plying on a city bus which was as usual crowded, I found that young men were sitting comfortably in their seats whereas the elderly and I mean really old were left to fend the bumps and humps all along. It was a matter of shame and disgust. I dont say that all of us have lost the essence of courtesy but we have lost it in large numbers.
Another incident was when I found an elderly man pushing his car across the main road bcaz it had just broken down. Two young men just passed him by crossing the road smiling and didnt even bother to turn around. I stopped my vehicle and gave him a hand.
Why is it that we cannot find time to do the simplest of things? Why dont we try? If we do why is it in small numbers?? It is not a perfect world and I cannot expect the world to change in a day. I just hope this will help.
dhadu_sagar Says
I just hope this will help.

But how will this help.. ?

It is easy for us to be 'good' ourselves, just as easy as it is for us to complain about other peoples inconsiderate behaviour. But have you considered the steps that need to be taken if you wish to change other peoples attitudes.. Even say 100 people?

Having said that, it's good that you're setting a nice example.
But how will this help.. ?

It is easy for us to be 'good' ourselves, just as easy as it is for us to complain about other peoples inconsiderate behaviour. But have you considered the steps that need to be taken if you wish to change other peoples attitudes.. Even say 100 people?

Having said that, it's good that you're setting a nice example.

I dont say that I the best or an example to society I just did what is to be done by all but is not really done. And this thread is an attempt or a step to bring this issue into focus to people using this site. I am not aiming for a 100 people but I have gotten u to read it and u will remember it that is enough. Kindness is there in all we just need to be reminded of it.

hey i travel by metro daily and most of the time old people are standing and no one is willing to leave their seats as if they own the seat .i prefer to keep standing because the moment a seat is vacated , people almost jump over each other to grab it and it looks really stupid to see such adults pushing each other for a seat....and even if a seat is empty , there has to be some weird guy sitting next giving you weird smiles.....
oh and few days back , one of those rare days when i get a seat ..this very old female came and could nt find a seat..she seem to be unwell so she asked dis gentleman to get up and let her seat...thsi guy jus ignored her completely and acted as if he s born deaf!...i got up and gave her a seat...after that few uncles also got up and one of them asked me and few other gurls to sit....umm...i guess there are still concerned people left though there numbers are very less..
and yeah its really good to have such discussions because at least people will be aware and next time anything of thsi sort happen to anyone , we wont just ignore it ...may be few of us might be able to make few others rethink...and the chain can just go on...

hey i travel by metro daily and most of the time old people are standing and no one is willing to leave their seats as if they own the seat .i prefer to keep standing because the moment a seat is vacated , people almost jump over each other to grab it and it looks really stupid to see such adults pushing each other for a seat....and even if a seat is empty , there has to be some weird guy sitting next giving you weird smiles.....
oh and few days back , one of those rare days when i get a seat ..this very old female came and could nt find a seat..she seem to be unwell so she asked dis gentleman to get up and let her seat...thsi guy jus ignored her completely and acted as if he s born deaf!...i got up and gave her a seat...after that few uncles also got up and one of them asked me and few other gurls to sit....umm...i guess there are still concerned people left though there numbers are very less..
and yeah its really good to have such discussions because at least people will be aware and next time anything of thsi sort happen to anyone , we wont just ignore it ...may be few of us might be able to make few others rethink...and the chain can just go on...

very optimistic !!!!!!!!!:) nevertheless intention is gud but i doubt if this can change the attitudes of the Common people.....who hardly visit PG forums..........If u try to lead by example ......u might end up standing everytime u travel by BUS is delhi............ I think u shud show courtesy where it is genuinely needed .....shudn't b faked.....

I just did what is to be done
Well said. That's the spirit.
shikha86t| Says
i got up and gave her a seat...after that few uncles also got up
Shikha and Sagar, both of your experiences have put forward a similar point, that the only way is to set an example.

I am not aiming for a 100 people but I have gotten u to read it and u will remember it that is enough...

I mean this to be a constructive discussion.. We all can make a handful of people realise through our actions. But since we seem to be so outnumbered, is this really enough? What are the ways in which this issue can be brought to the general public attention?

|catdog Says
u might end up standing everytime u travel by BUS is delhi............ I think u shud show courtesy where it is genuinely needed .....shudn't b faked.....
Faked.. ? I suppose you could call it faking when you were with friends and stood up for a woman, to impress your friends. But does it set an example for them? I would say so. There is a saying to the effect that courage in a group comes from shame.

Like Sagar says, kindness is there in all of us. But who is going to remind all of us? And how? I don't mean this question rhetorically. It would be good if we could explore possible solutions..

hi *,
its a nice discussion goin on. would like to chip in.
Well... i don't think kindness is something which needs to reminded of. This is an inherent trait (if at all it is there) of a person. If someone doesn't feel like parting with the seat for older fellas, that's his way of looking at things. By reminding him.. one runs a risk of running into an argument.
Its a question of one's conscience. I think if a person doesn't feel for others you can't do anything about it. The best we can do is to follow our conscience n do the right thing. It might wake up a few souls. N if we manage to inspire even a single person we can expect him to spread the msg.i think this will address the issue somewhat.

ciao

I'm looking at it in a slightly different way today.

"If someone doesn't feel like drinking Pepsi, that's his way of looking at things".. does Pepsico say that?

The fact is that the pleasure of appreciation by one's fellow beings is a good motivator. So if this motive can be harnessed, if being 'nice' can be made to be seen as good in the eyes of the public, mass opinion will automatically force - or atleast coerce - people to behave with consideration.

What do you think?

Hi all

Nice discussion. But I feel tempted to add something.

Well, its nice to be courteous and give your seat to the aged/ladies but why do you need to inspire even a single person. When you are doing good by your own will and without anybody asking you, then why are you expecting from others?

What I can understand from the general apathetic attitude of people is that they dont do because they dont get the same in return, so they prefer to drop the idea.

I would suggest you to not have any expectations from anybody because if you fail to inspire even a single person, then you ll feel bad (which I have seen in most cases) and might stop being courteous.

AS our forefathers had taught us, do good and forget it.

When you are doing good by your own will and without anybody asking you, then why are you expecting from others?
do good and forget it.

Mancee, a good point there.

However I believe you are an aspiring manager. Tomorrow you will be asked to 'inspire' people to do stuff which you want them to do. Stuff where the line between ethics and business needs might be blurred.

The topic of getting up for old ladies in buses and trains is one where there is almost no grey area.. getting up yourself for them is good, most people would agree. As such this should be good practice for your skills in inspiring people.

I'm not even suggesting that you force any individual directly. Human nature will automatically rebel against that, so it will be counter-productive. Yes, you can suggest by example. And I'm looking for more ideas on this apart from individual example.

Is it not your privilege - nay, your responsibility to inspire people to care for their unprivileged and disadvantaged fellow humans..

Will one little failure make you give up .. ? Not really. Will a continued string of failures make you give up? Perhaps. But if there were no difficulties we would not be having this discussion today.. the world would have automatically been a better place.

Fertile thread.. please post your opinions on this one.
Mancee, a good point there.

However I believe you are an aspiring manager. Tomorrow you will be asked to 'inspire' people to do stuff which you want them to do. Stuff where the line between ethics and business needs might be blurred.

...As such this should be good practice for your skills in inspiring people.

I agree that inspiring people is good but when I am being an altruist by foregoing my seat, my sole purpose would not be to inspire people watching, if they can learn by the example, well and good. If they didnt understand the point and they come and ask me why I did so, I would surely help them. But if niether happens, then they are not interested.

I even dont say that they are wrong, they might think their own way and I would respect their thinking. What I think is right may be wrong in their way. I wont force anyone to prove that they are wrong and should do as I do.

Thats all I have to say! 😃