Serious Advice Required....Plz Help......

Hi Guys, I’m Sandeep, a S/W Pro. I have been studying for GMAT 4 quite some time but cud not devote time whole heartedly as I was into Shifts Job…as my project is 24X7…Also RC was my weak area…Well I got 610 in GMAT… I just wa…

Hi Guys,
I'm Sandeep, a S/W Pro. I have been studying for GMAT 4 quite some time but cud not devote time whole heartedly as I was into Shifts Job.....as my project is 24X7...Also RC was my weak area.......Well I got 610 in GMAT......
I just want advice for do I stand any chance in ISB with 610. I have 5 Yrs of IT experience in varied roles and have been on overseas assignments on Client Sites in Business teams.......Frank opinion will be highly appreciated......I was targeting ISB only......

Please Advice......

Cheers!!!!
Sandy

hi sandeep......

r u writing cat???i think 610 may not be enough..iam not sure though...cos i have seen considerably higher scores.......i think u could give another shot if attempts dont count.....

sunil

Hi Sunil,
No I'm not writin CAT. I'm just concentrating on ISB, thats it. I'm just contemplating filing application this time since last time I've heard range in ISB was 550-780. I understand for them to consider meagre score of 610, my application really needs to have contents.
I have aksed for advice just for if some one experienced could advice what chance I have if any. Else obviously I'll give another shot.

Cheers!!!!
Sandy

yeah ok mate......

yes there are more things to consider apart form ur GMAT score.......though iam not experienced with this GMAT stuff i have heard scores b4.....by the way i got some mail from them regarding some orientation programme sometime back..have u registered for it...if not i can send it to u.....

sunil

Hey Guys
Make a Humble Request to please speak out.....I'm already in a jittery state of mind for my score....Kindly Advice please........

Cheers!!!!
Sandy

Hey Sandy,

610 definitely sounds less for the simple reason, the application would have to more than make up for the low score. Looking at your work ex, it is possible that there would be many with similar workex as yours and with higher GMATs, during such situations the adcom would easily swing towards the higher GMAT score.

While I wont say its impossible to get an admit at ISB with a 610, it is definitely very tough and your application needs to be very very strong.

PS: Our W-mod here on the forums made it to ISB with a 630 GMAT .. but I feel thats more of an exception than the norm 😃

I think PG was being euphemistic. I think your chances of getting through with a 610 given the competitive nature of profiles from your background is bleak.

Yeesh ! I am starting to sound like an AdComm

Take GMAT again. If that is not possible for whatever reasons, then I think you should go ahead and apply for ISB all the same. Seriously though, I don't know how much the ISB app costs. Getting the recos, the transcripts would stand you in good stead for next year. And the more important part is writing the application essays. It will be a big eyeopener.

So I reckon you should take it as a dry-run this year with a score of 610. Agar click ho jaata hai, toh mereko pukka treat dean

HTH,

Arun

Hi Arun,
Thnx for ur advice. Yups even I'm thinking of just taking it as dry-run. I know I need to improve my score a lot to compete with people with same back ground.
And yes agar party dene se hojayega to main pehale bhi dene ko tyaar hoon tumhe party..:0))

Neways thanx all for ur guidance.

Cheers
Sandy

Take GMAT again. If that is not possible for whatever reasons, then I think you should go ahead and apply for ISB all the same. Seriously though, I don't know how much the ISB app costs. Getting the recos, the transcripts would stand you in good stead for next year. And the more important part is writing the application essays. It will be a big eyeopener.

Ahem Ahem, Arun, now that u almost sound like the adcom ...whats the update on ur application??? Are u trying for ISB this time or a retake at GMAT?? 😃

Simbaaaaaa

Hey Simba,

Thanks for reminding me :)

I have really taken your, Abroreal Tarantul, Carpreal26 advice over that peg of scotch (finally i had to settle for OldMonk is a different matter :P) and decided to push up my GMAT scores before I think about ISB.

I am shooting at a GMAT sometime next year. The reason for the delay ? I have a got a new job which looks pretty exciting and its into IT consultancy. I am sure my experiences would make up for some good story to spin during my essays. That apart, I just got married a few months ago, so want to chillax in general :)

Given the competitive nature of the applicants with my background..............he he he I think I will make for a good adcom guy !! :P

Arun

Hey Sandy!

Making it thro ISB with 610 wud be kinda difficult. N more so because u fit into the "Indian IT Male" category...

Check out this article in BW written by a current student of ISB: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mbajournal/04narayan/1.htm
Application tips? Well, before you worry about any of the other parts of the application, get a good GMAT score. The average at ISB is 690. Also, when B-schools say it's not just the GMAT score, they mean just that. It's your GMAT score and something more. Once you have the score that's well above their average, focus on your strengths, your work experience, what makes you different, what you will be able to contribute that others can't.

So my advice wud be to take GMAT again!

BOL, :)
Uday