Sentence Correction for CAT 2013

Lets start the discussion on sentence correction. This is the subject, most of us mess with in the exam. To begin with, here I lay down the basic types of errors encountered in the SC questions: *A. Subject-verb agreement**B. Modifi…

Lets start the discussion on sentence correction. This is the subject, most of us mess with in the exam.

To begin with, here I lay down the basic types of errors encountered in the SC questions:

A. Subject-verb agreement
B. Modifiers
C. Parallelism
D. Pronoun Agreement
E. Verb Time Sequences
F. Comparisons
G. Idioms

As we discuss the questions, we will surely encounter all these types and I will try to classify the questions in the respective types.
All the best!!

Links to previous seasons' Sentence Correction threads:

http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/verbal-ability/sentence-correction-cat-t-74732/p-3051705/r-3707311?page=1 (CAT-2012)

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sentence-correction-for-cat-2011-25061597/2430735 (CAT-2011)

1) A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole after it passes through a red giant stage, depending on mass.

(A) A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole after it passes through a red giant stage, depending on mass.
(B) After passing through a red giant stage, depending on its mass, a star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.
(C) After passing through a red giant stage, a star €™s mass will determine if it compresses itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.
(D) Mass determines whether a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.
(E) The mass of a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will determine whether it compresses itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

2) A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associated with other calves, they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do those raised in confinement.
(A) associated with other calves, they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do
(B) associated with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight quicker than
(C) associate with other calves, they required less medication and will gain weight quicker than do
(D) associate with other calves, they have required less medication and will gain weight more quickly than do
(E) associate with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than

3) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.
(A) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(B) A derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, of the Madagascar periwinkle,
(C) A Madagascar periwinkle derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(D) The Madagascar periwinkle has a derivative which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, that
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,

4) A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.
(A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
(B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
(C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
(D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
(E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

5) According to a panel of health officials, there has been a great deal of confusion in the medical profession about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to health.
(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition more related to appearance than to
(D) about obesity and if it is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition related to appearance more than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition related to appearance more than

@ramitagrawal my take
1 B
2 E
3 A
4 D
5 A
@ramitagrawal

My Answers :

1. E
2. E
3. A
4. B
5. C

1.B
2.E
4.D
5.B

@ramitagrawal

What are the correct options???

OA

1.D
Lets narrow down on the options. "a red giant stage" is wrong, it should be "the red giant stage". Now we are left with only D and E. In option E "The mass of a star, after passing through..." is wrong. The mass of a star doesnt pass through. Its the star that passes through the stages. Therefore E is eliminated. Now, D is the right option by elimination. Also, D is correct gramatically.

2.E

3.E
"...from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful...". Here "which" is referring to Madagascar periwinkle. It should ideally refer to the derived substance. Therefore A is wrong. Also the Madagascar periwinkle is cultivated and not its derivative. Keeping these in mind, one can narrow down to E.

4.D

5.A
It should be whether X or Y. Only A is correct.

Hope its clear.

6) According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.
(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations

7) According to a recent study by Rutgers University, the number of women in state legislatures has grown in every election since 1968.
(A) the number of women in state legislatures has grown
(B) the number of women who are in state legislatures have grown
(C) there has been growth in the number of women in state legislatures
(D) a growing number of women have been in state legislatures
(E) women have been growing in number in state legislatures

8) According to a recent study, the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as to receive it from them.
(A) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as
(B) the elderly in the United States are four times as likely to give regular financial aid to their children as it is for them
(C) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children than
(D) it is four times more likely for the elderly in the United States to give regular financial aid to their children than they are
(E) it is four times as likely that the elderly in the United States will give their children regular financial aid as they are

9) According to a ruling by the state supreme court, the owner of polluted land is liable for the cleanup of the property even if the owner did not have the responsibility that pollution occurred before the title changed hands.
(A) the owner did not have the responsibility that pollution
(B) the owner is not responsible for pollution that
(C) it was not the owner €™s responsibility that pollution would have
(D) the responsibility of the owner is not that pollution
(E) the responsibility was not the owner €™s that pollution would have

10) According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation €™s four-year colleges and universities.
(A) equivalent to the enrollment of
(B) the equivalent of those enrolled in
(C) equal to those who are enrolled in
(D) as many as the enrollment of
(E) as many as are enrolled in

6.A
7.C
8.C
9.B
10.A

6E

7C
8C
9B
10D
OA is as follows:

6) E
7) A
8) C
9) B
10) E

11. According to surveys by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, about 20 percent of young adults used cocaine in 1979, doubling those reported in the 1977 survey.

(A) doubling those reported in the 1977 survey
(B) to double the number the 1977 survey reported
(C) twice those the 1977 survey reported
(D) twice as much as those reported in the 1977 survey
(E) twice the number reported in the 1977 survey

12. According to the Better Business Bureau, if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it violates the New York Consumer Protection Law.
(A) if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it
(B) if one fails to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest price, it
(C) failure to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest
(D) failure to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as the lowest
(E) failing to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or products as that of the lowest

13. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.
(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.
(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

14. According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's own work, always one's own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it.
(A) one's own work, always one's own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it
(B) always work; because you don't think about it or assess it, you just do it
(C) always one's own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it
(D) not to think or assess, but doing one's own work
(E) neither to think about one's own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it

15. According to United States Air Force officials, a cannon shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate what kind of damage can result when jets fly into a flock of large birds.
(A) shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate
(B) shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved itself helpful as a demonstration of
(C) shooting dead chickens at airplanes proves itself helpful as demonstrating
(D) that shoots dead chickens at airplanes proves itself helpful to demonstrate
(E) that shoots dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful in demonstrating
6) E
7) A
8) C
9) B
10) D
@ramitagrawal WATS T ANS. for the set 11-15
@ramitagrawal
Wrong Section,

Start This thread here in verbal preparation section.

http://www.pagalguy.com/cat

@visionIIM-ACL sir, could you move this thread in appropriate section ?

In the following questions, there are sentences or parts of sentences labeled A, B, C, D and E . Choose for your answer the fragment that carries an error. Ignore punctuation errors if any.

A. To be citizen is to possess the rights

B. enshrined in our constitution,

C. and equally, the obligation of duty.

D. When one citizen upholds an individual right for another,

E. the enacts his duty to himself.

In the following questions, there are sentences or parts of sentences labeled A, B, C, D and E . Choose for your answer the fragment that carries an error. Ignore punctuation errors if any.

A. I've been in Delhi for four days now

B. and so far the stay had been uneventful,

C. barring a stray incident

D. where I walked into a lamppost then walked around Connaught Place

E. with a bloody nose.

hey i am frm kolkata-wbut (engineering)... what should i fill in my graduation % column in????? i have got my dgpa..... should i mention it (dgpa-0.75) * 100 or simply dgpa*10.. my dgpa is 7.71 .... i have found no proper methods or definite rules for dgpa in wbut.... having mixed views....

p.s- pls enlighten me regarding this.... m cnfused.... WBUT students pass out ones help me out.....

i have been telling you for a long time sonia and me will go out at five this evening

either nadal , federer , or djokovic will vin all fout tournaments this year

corrections in above sentences (only phrases, not grammatical )