Second MBA

Hi, I’m looking for some preliminary information regarding a second MBA, preferably a 1 year course at an institute abroad(although I’m not averse to a 2 year couse either). The primary thing on my mind is the right time for applying abroad. Con…

Hi,
I'm looking for some preliminary information regarding a second MBA, preferably a 1 year course at an institute abroad(although I'm not averse to a 2 year couse either). The primary thing on my mind is the right time for applying abroad. Considering that I already have an MBA degree, what would be the right time for taking the GMAT and applying abroad ?
As for my profile, I have a B Tech degree from IIT Kharagpur and an MBA from IIM Lucknow(straight out of undergrad college). I'm working for an Indian investment bank(Equity Capital Markets), and wish to continue in the same field abroad. It would be really helpful if someone could mention B-schools that are traditionally popular with global investment banks.

Thanks

Hi,
I'm looking for some preliminary information regarding a second MBA, preferably a 1 year course at an institute abroad(although I'm not averse to a 2 year couse either). The primary thing on my mind is the right time for applying abroad. Considering that I already have an MBA degree, what would be the right time for taking the GMAT and applying abroad ?
As for my profile, I have a B Tech degree from IIT Kharagpur and an MBA from IIM Lucknow(straight out of undergrad college). I'm working for an Indian investment bank(Equity Capital Markets), and wish to continue in the same field abroad. It would be really helpful if someone could mention B-schools that are traditionally popular with global investment banks.

Thanks

Give us mere mortals a chance, will you?
Good Goin Pal.
The fact that u still prefer to do a full time MBA course rather than a CFA from the US which also is well recognised across the IB industry amazes me.
I mean to say is that if entering the foreign market through an MBA from a premier Bschool after having done an MBA from India might sound a little awkward to some of the IB majors.
Anyways All the best :)
RN

Out of sheer curiosity I would like to know the reasons for a second MBA. And especially one after an MBA from an IIM.

bart1981 Says
Hi, I'm looking for some preliminary information regarding a second MBA, preferably a 1 year course at an institute abroad(although I'm not averse to a 2 year couse either). The primary thing on my mind is the right time for applying abroad. Considering that I already have an MBA degree, what would be the right time for taking the GMAT and applying abroad? As for my profile, I have a B Tech degree from IIT Kharagpur and an MBA from IIM Lucknow(straight out of undergrad college). I'm working for an Indian investment bank(Equity Capital Markets), and wish to continue in the same field abroad. It would be really helpful if someone could mention B-schools that are traditionally popular with global investment banks. Thanks

Many do a second MBA abroad. However, too early for you (you have about 15 months of experience now, right?). Work for another 4-5 years, gain knowledge, success and most importantly career progess. As for schools, all the major investment banks recruit in the US Top 10 and European Top 3-5.
goldberg23684 Says
Out of sheer curiosity I would like to know the reasons for a second MBA. And especially one after an MBA from an IIM.

Happens a lot. Several MBA/PGDM graduates feel the need for a second MBA to make the jump to an international career in the same industry, simply escape IT (yes, a common reason), or change careers. One of my classmates in IMD last year is IIT-D/IIM-A. The current class has an IIT-M/IIM-C. Many Indians in schools like Insead, Wharton, Chicago are IIM alumni.

Yes...a second MBA is very common these days. As a matter of fact, Thomas Caleel (Wharton Admissions Dean) has openly said that Wharton is open to Indian candidates with a prior MBA. The same goes for Chicago. However, some school (Cornell, etc) do not accept Indian MBAs.

BTW...CFA DOES NOT help for a career in IB. I am a CFA & cleared level III....I know for a fact that most Investment Bankers do not even know what a CFA is. CFA is useful for a career in Investment Management (Buy Side). For a career in IB, MBA is the only stepping stone.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Gargi and Baccardi !

As Gargi pointed out, CFA isnt really of much use in the IB industry. Also, what I've realised working in this industry is that IB is a pedigree and alumni driven career. (Am not toally sure if this is true)

As for questions regarding why I need to do an MBA abroad, its becoause I'm looking at a global career (Also an opportunity to work in the relatively mature markets).Breaking in to such a career is extremely difficult with an Indian MBA.
For a global career in IB an MBA abroad seems vital.(Though I do agree with baccardi that its a bit early thinking about it now)

This link is interesting ...

http://www.theglobaleducator.com/study_abroad/pdfs/July%202003%20thinking%20of%20second%20MBA.PDF

One more thing. Is getting an IB job from an international B-School as tough as it is from an IIM ?(In the IIMs it is a mad fight)

bart1981 Says
Thanks, Gargi and Baccardi ! As Gargi pointed out, CFA isnt really of much use in the IB industry. Also, what I've realised working in this industry is that IB is a pedigree and alumni driven career. (Am not toally sure if this is true). As for questions regarding why I need to do an MBA abroad, its becoause I'm looking at a global career (Also an opportunity to work in the relatively mature markets).Breaking in to such a career is extremely difficult with an Indian MBA. For a global career in IB an MBA abroad seems vital.(Though I do agree with baccardi that its a bit early thinking about it now). This link is interesting ... http://www.theglobaleducator.com/study_abroad/pdfs/July%202003%20thinking%20of%20second%20MBA.PDF. One more thing. Is getting an IB job from an international B-School as tough as it is from an IIM ?(In the IIMs it is a mad fight)

You might be surprised but several with Indian MBAs/PGDMs (mostly IIM alums) make it to IB jobs in mature markets after starting in India without having to do foreign MBAs(Morgan Stanley and Merrill are two that send very good people abroad after 3-4 years in India). Granted these are rarer than usual, but happen nevertheless.

You might want to explore opportunities in the Indian arms of the major foreign banks immediately. Contact your friends and people you know who are already in these banks to explore opportunities in the next few months. After China, India is probably the hottest place for International banks to be in; if you get a job there and manage to do well, you should get the opportunity to go abroad in a few years OR rise very quickly in the Indian operation. It might also help a little with your future applications for a second MBA in any school if they saw a big name global bank in your CV.

In the world's best schools (US Top 10, EU Top 3), you'll get interviewed by the banks if you have a half decent profile and have maintained above average grades in the MBA. In effect, NO it's not a "mad fight" like the IIMs.

The article is interesting, however the story of the guy who left India for an MBA immediately after graduation to get a consulting gig 2 notches higher than in India is either a very rare / one-off if not simply unbelievable. There is no substitute for work experience.
bart1981 Says
One more thing. Is getting an IB job from an international B-School as tough as it is from an IIM ?(In the IIMs it is a mad fight)
nopes....it is much easier there

i agree with nonedone

baccardisprite Says
Happens a lot. Several MBA/PGDM graduates feel the need for a second MBA... One of my classmates in IMD last year is IIT-D/IIM-A. The current class has an IIT-M/IIM-C. Many Indians in schools like Insead, Wharton, Chicago are IIM alumni.

strange. :(
felt incomplete/ insufficient?
many things cleared in later posts though.

dear bart1981,
even IIMs cd get chance in intrl market. get good workex pal!
aim-wsc Says
felt incomplete/ insufficient?

*******edited*******
baccardisprite Says
No, because IIT/IIM tag or not, experience wisens the brain and thickens the skin; through 8.5 years before an MBA I developed some wisdom and a very thick skin.

hey baccardisprite,
how could i remark on your credentials anyway? :snipersm:

no way.

most of the time i browse this site by my cell phone...& as a result i couldnt write looong (or detailed) posts
. :(

dear baccardisprite,
Althouhg i quoted your words, my last post was not addressed to you but to the thread-starter.

Now that i hv come (back to) home & am on desktop, i can write it correctly.

What i meant in post #11:

WHy these IIM fellas feel incomplete /insufficient even when they get the best education in Management, the country could offer.... :(
& Isnt that strange?

Many things cleared in later posts: means i was referring to post #7,8,9

so please edit or delete (or whatever ) your last post @12. it was not address to you anyway.
hey baccardisprite, how could i remark on your credentials anyway? :snipersm:no way. most of the time i browse this site by my cell phone...& as a result i couldnt write looong (or detailed) posts. 😞 dear baccardisprite,
Althouhg i quoted your words, my last post was not addressed to you but to the thread-starter. Now that i hv come (back to) home & am on desktop, i can write it correctly.
What i meant in post #11: WHy these IIM fellas feel incomplete /insufficient even when they get the best education in Management, the country could offer.... 😞 & Isnt that strange? Many things cleared in later posts: means i was referring to post #7,8,9 so please edit or delete (or whatever ) your last post @12. it was not address to you anyway.

No worries. will edit.

As baccardi points out, one of the reasons why I feel my degree from an IIM is incomplete is because I joined with zero work ex. I feel it wouldnt have helped much with Indian work ex either because I would have only been able to manage working in the software industry(which I was clear right in undergrad college that i wasnt interested in). Now that I'm sure that IB is the field that I want to be in, I think an international MBA is more in line with my aspirations.

Operationally, it is tough to move to an international i-bank(say in NY or London) with an Indian MBA. (Otherwise its too early for me to comment on the sufficiency/insufficiency of an Indian MBA)

Another reason why many IIM/other top Indian school MBAs opt for a second MBA outside India is for the global branding.

Most MBAs (atleast the ones I know of) from top-notch bschools in India who went for a second MBA, felt that their current degrees didn't have the same brand power in an international setting.

For some industries (like venture capital, private equity in the US/Europe), many firms are still very very choosy when it comes to recruiting associates and even analysts. In such cases, pedigree does help.