Scored a 780 (51Q V47)

Hi everyone! I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a score of 780 (51 Quant, 47 Verbal) (99 percentile in all 3) :: though I’m not too surprised since I had scored exactly 780 in the last 3 practise tests that I took :satisfie: Registering for the…

Hi everyone!

I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a score of 780 (51 Quant, 47 Verbal) (99 percentile in all 3)though I'm not too surprised since I had scored exactly 780 in the last 3 practise tests that I took :satisfie: Registering for the GMAT was a totally impulsive decision. Prepared for it for about a month, along with my job as a Software Engineer in Infy, and took a shot :)

Wading through the PG forums for tips and advice definitely helped me a lot though I never bothered to register till now! A huge thanks to all you helpful souls on PG :)

Some more info about me -

Have decent extra currics (event management and the like), was co-founder and vice president of the Computer Society of India chapter in college, okaish in acads - graduated in 2005 with first division but *without* distinction (I was pretty laid back), was involved with a legal NGO in college, also doing some voluntary work in another NGO these days. I only have about 1+ yrs of work ex in Infy with no international exposure (no onsite opportunities yet :(). My real love is technology and coding (heavily invloved with Free software and Linux stuff) and I'm thinking of an MBA only so I could lead my own tech startup afterwards.

Haven't really decided on which schools to apply to (have i mentioned yet that it was a totally impulsive decision) though I'm definitely applying to ISB this year. Help me out guys.

- AJ

hey congo mate

good to see another NSITian here

ping me for any help. ATB :thumbsup:

Congrats dude. Thats an awsome score. I guess ISB won't do
justice to that score and mebbe ur profile. IMHO You'd better
wait for a couple of years; build on ur profile and then target
the top 10 in US unless u have other plans.

Anywayz...the PG biggies will soon give you better ideas.
Meanwhile :drinking:

Wow man!! Awesome dude!!!!! Please share more with us!!

Congrats dude!

I concur with Deridas Suggestion.As u said it was an impulsive decision, i would suggest ,now that u have got that lesser Mortals score, to think again n try to make the best out of it.I guess you deserve more than ISB.

Big Cheers
Seemant

That's a cracker AJ Congratulations.

looking forward an elaborate post on your month's presentation

ATB with the apps :thumbsup:

WOA :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow: That's a CRACKING SCORE !!!!:grab:!!! BTW why did you miss out on the remaining twenty marks ????

Pls share your prep experince with us !!!!!!

Thankx
Azeem

great score dood
congrats!!!

Hey Great score dude.. Congrats..

Just a word of advice being a senior from the same company..
Your acads are Ok.. Are you from a well known college of india? (doesn't matter much though) Your extra curric are good.. involvement with NGOs helps a lot(hope its not just for the sake of MBA 😃 ).. and you are pretty clear cut in your thoughts also...

In my opinion you should not apply for ISB this year, an admit can tempt you to join..
If you apply full fledged after an year and half, you should/can deserve a better school.. (though ISB is a very good school).. and i think with such a score and other things included, that should not be a tough task for you...

XXXXcelent score dude...
b o luk for d apps...

n yup share ur pointers wid d rest of d guyz...

ciao

Hey guys thanks a lot for the encouragement!

My preperation was really pretty conventional - went through OG11, Official verbal and quant supplements, Princeton and Kaplan. The official material was a real pleasure and I would go out on a limb to say that you certainly do not need Kaplan to get a good score. Kaplan questions are not representative of the questions that you'll encounter in the actual exam. I took only two tests from the Kaplan higher score CD and got a 680 on both. It was a major disappointment and took me some time to get over. Then during review I found some grammatical mistakes in the book and a few questions where I was dead sure that the answers provided were wrong! At this point only 2 weeks were left before the exam so I totally ditched kaplan and stuck to OG. Thankfully, it proved to be a wise decision :)

Problem solving and CRs were a breeze from the beginning and I didn't spend much time on them. DS took some time getting used to but became easier with practice. The trick with DS is learning to not carry over information from one statement to the next. The AD-BCE approach given in Princeton was really helpful. In verbal my major problem was Sentence correction and once again Princeton came to my rescue! I really recommend going through the strategies given in Princeton before tackling practice questions en masse. I also bought, and read from cover to cover, a grammar book to cover all bases. RCs did not present any issues for me (My reading speed is 1100 wpm! ). Sadly enough I did not prepare at all for the essays and I am sure I botched atleast the "analysis of an issue" qs 😞 The result comes out in 20 days let's see what happens.

- AJ

HEY GR8 JOB MATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
one small help required .... any idea after how many days from day of writting the test , will the results be out ......
thnx

Awesome score...congrats...where r u applying?

Congratulations!!!!!!

Stupendous Score!!!!!!

But even I would say, don't app to ISB. If technology is your first love, why not MIT Sloan's tech focused programs???

ATB
Keya

Hey Great score dude.. Congrats..

Just a word of advice being a senior from the same company..
Your acads are Ok.. Are you from a well known college of india? (doesn't matter much though)

Hey adrenaline, I'm from NSIT Delhi (formerly DIT). It's pretty well known in India but I'm not sure about the weight it carries in top notch colleges in US ??:

Your extra curric are good.. involvement with NGOs helps a lot(hope its not just for the sake of MBA 😃 ).. and you are pretty clear cut in your thoughts also...

In my opinion you should not apply for ISB this year, an admit can tempt you to join..
If you apply full fledged after an year and half, you should/can deserve a better school.. (though ISB is a very good school).. and i think with such a score and other things included, that should not be a tough task for you...

My primary concern is the investment I'll have to make towards an MBA, both of time and money. ISB scores well on both counts. Plus it seems to have some emphasis on Entrepreneurship (what with the TiE tie-up and all). And I'd like to stay in India, all other things being equal.

Could some members of the haloed ISB alumni shine some light on entrepreneurship opportunities in ISB? It would really be of great help :)

- AJ
ajnsit Says
Hey adrenaline, I'm from NSIT Delhi (formerly DIT). It's pretty well known in India but I'm not sure about the weight it carries in top notch colleges in US ??:
it does carry weight

with that score, you can expect an admit from top notch colleges with little scholarship, not much though. try for some international experience if possible, and apply for 2008 or 09 maybe.

for ISB, you can continue here www.pagalguy.com/forum/b-school-discussions-mba-abroad/15252-aiming-for-isb.html
amitnsitian Says
it does carry weight

Of course it does 😃 Even if it didn't, I know it's a great college :)

with that score, you can expect an admit from top notch colleges with little scholarship, not much though. try for some international experience if possible, and apply for 2008 or 09 maybe.

for ISB, you can continue here www.pagalguy.com/forum/b-school-discussions-mba-abroad/15252-aiming-for-isb.html

Well the lack of work experience is my major concern, so I am not overly optimistic about my chances in H/W/S this year. But should I apply anyway? Does a re-application have less of a chance of getting through?

- AJ
HEY GR8 JOB MATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
one small help required .... any idea after how many days from day of writting the test , will the results be out ......
thnx

The official (GMAC) line is under twenty days. That gives me plenty of time to chew out all my finger nails awaiting my AWA scores ??:

- AJ
Of course it does 😃 Even if it didn't, I know it's a great college :)

Well the lack of work experience is my major concern, so I am not overly optimistic about my chances in H/W/S this year. But should I apply anyway? Does a re-application have less of a chance of getting through?

J

need inputs from keya, iday, kunal and the biggies 😃