Scored 780 in GMAT

Hi all, I took the GMAT on May 18, 2007 and scored 780 :slight_smile: My AWA score was an abysmal 4.5/6.0 though :frowning: I had taken CAT 2006 and so found the GMAT much easier. So my advice for all those who are looking at both the CAT and GMAT: Fir…

Hi all,

I took the GMAT on May 18, 2007 and scored 780 :)

My AWA score was an abysmal 4.5/6.0 though :(

I had taken CAT 2006 and so found the GMAT much easier. So my advice for all those who are looking at both the CAT and GMAT: First finish CAT off.. Then go ahead with the GMAT.. You will just need to get used to the difference in exam format.. You wont have to learn much specifically for the GMAT..

Resources I used:
- OG 11th edition
- Kaplan Premier Program

How long I prepared:
- 2 months (Ya, I relied more on my learnings from CAT 2006)

My guidelines for preparation:
- Take test 1 in Powerprep.. Just to see where u stand before preparation..
- Then start with Kaplan Premier Program.. Do all the exercises in the book in order..
- Follow up with corresponding exercises from the CD and the online program.. Also, there are lots of materials on scoretop.com.. (1000 CR/SC/RC series).. brush these up along as well..
- Periodically (once a week, maybe) keep writing the mock GMATs given in Kaplan CD.. (There are 4 of them). But be warned: Kaplan tests are usually very low scoring.. (I scored only in the range from 590 to 670.. But immediately the next day I got a 770 in powerprep.. so use kaplan just to learn.. forget the scores.. they will demoralise u otherwise)
- I do not concur with the english answer keys of Kaplan.. Sometimes they seem to bely logic.. but anyway, going through Kaplan's course makes the actual GMAT look much easier in comparison.. so it helps..
- You can depend upon some notes prepared by other GMAT takers.. These are available on PG itself.. mostly you would have already downloaded them if you have been here for some time.. Those notes will give you some good thumb rules to follow when taking the GMAT.. They can be helpful in Verbal, especially..
- Once you are done with Kaplan, start the Official Guide.. This would be more in line with the actual kind of questions you would face in the GMAT.. And it would give you much needed confidence close to the exams..
- Once you are done with the Official Guide, go for Powerprep 2 just a week before your actual GMAT.. Now the score will more or less tell the exact score you will get in the main exam.. (At least that was how it was for me)

Do compare this with what the others have to say.. And devise your best plan.. Nothing will work better than your own plan..

All the best guys!

Congrats! Cracked it!
Besties for the apping season! 😃

Awesome congrats !!!

dont worry abt ur AWA. Anything above 4 is fine :)

so post uur profile and where all u plan to apply

CONGRATS ONCE MORE

Congrats mate. Great score

ATB with apping :thumbsup:

Hi,
do you have 11th edition of OG? please mail me.

Absolutely Awesome score dude... You literally cracked it...

Congrats

All the Best with Apping

Really gud score bro, you cracked it.
congratulations!!!

@reachmonil, rider.royal, deep_agarwal, HarshaRocks, amitnsitian.. Thank you for your wishes :)

And amitnsitian.. Heard from some other friends of mine too that anything above 4 is fine in AWA.. But the percentile comes to around 55 only.. that is what is bugging me.. am sure i will have to do some explaining when I get thru to some PI somewhere :)

My profile:
- Acads: State Topper in 12th standard.. 9.28/10.0 cgpa in college..
- Extra-curriculars: Cultural Sec in school.. Chairman in College.. Doing quite some HR work at office now..
- Work ex: Just more than 1 year of ex as of now.. So, for next year's courses, I would be having around 1 yr and 9 months of experience..

Since my work-ex is quite low, am not app-ing much this year.. Will give the ISB a shot.. Gonna take CAT 2007 as my first choice.. If I dont get thru the ISB or the IIMs this year, will apply again next year..

No plans for applying abroad as of now.. If I dont get thru any insti this yr, maybe next yr i will give it some thought..